Making Munny

Discussion in 'BOARDANIA' started by Katcal, Sep 28, 2008.

1. Katcal I Aten't French !

No, no typo there, Munny is a do-it-yourself plaything, you basically get a plain plastic figure and you can then do what you like with it...

MUNNY: The Greatest Do It Yourself Toy!

Seeing as I'm far to crap to paint intricate minis for gaming, I thought a larger thing to paint would be easier. The one I bought is a mini-munny, it's about 12cm high, and its accessory is a pair of glasses. I have a couple of ideas of what to do with it, but I thought it might be fun for you guys to suggest some ideas too...

[IMG]

Here is the guy in white, mine is light blue but that doesn't really matter as he'll end up painted anyway. As I said, he (or she?) has a pair of glasses, but again, they don't have to be used...

Edit: just found a pic that has my exact one, the bottom right one...
    [IMG]
  2. Maljonic Administrator

How about a Borg clone?
  3. Katcal I Aten't French !

mm, I like it!
    One of my best ideas was a superman/clark kent, which meant painting the superman costume and then sewing a fabric suit for the Clark Kent version, the glasses being the main giveaway...
  4. Joculator The 'Old' Fool

I think a pair of overly large ears, painted with the splodgy 'kid's mix' you get in primary school and it could be an exact copy of the Katcalian Bounaize as mentioned in the continuing story on a board near you... Here
    (3rd entry off bottom of page)
    Just in case you've missed it :bunny:

The Katcalian Bounaize...
    [IMG]
  5. July New Member

I have never seen a munny.
  6. Katcal I Aten't French !

Ah, Joc, you see, that's the thing, it's a Munny, not a Dunny. Quite different...

KidrobotDUNNY

I did miss the small reference I admit, I got distracted by the whole Leda and the Swan thing, as, strangely enough, my mum is currently working on a series of paintings on that theme exactly...
  7. Joculator The 'Old' Fool

I have to bow down to superior knowledge here.
    But wait a moment... Munny, Dunny, Bunny. Is this another attempt at a synonymous world takeover? :bunny:
  8. Katcal I Aten't French !

So, I have commited shopping once again, and now have two proto-munnys on my hands, both white. the accessories are a sort of cap (not a baseball cap, more like a Castro cap), and an axe, the log-splitting kind rather than a battleaxe or a fireman's axe...

Any ideas?
  9. Buzzfloyd Spelling Bee

These things look awesome, but I would hate to ever commit to actually painting one, thus ruining its potential.
  10. Katcal I Aten't French !

I think you have grasped the essence of the whole conundrum succinctly...:D Hell, I get that with blank pages. My only escape route is using paint that can, if botched, be removed, but still sticks enough to be durable if a success, and becomes tough when varnished... The first one scared me a great deal but then I just went for it and it turned out ok, so hopefully the next one will be a little less scary.
  11. Joculator The 'Old' Fool

Jack Nicholson - The Shining? Just needs a manic grin..... "Heeeere's Munny!" :D
  12. Hsing Moderator

Can we see what became of the first one?
  13. Katcal I Aten't French !

Sure! Actually this pic was taken before he was finished so the painting is very aproximative and not finished, and also the pic is pretty crap, but here he is:
    [IMG]

And the original, Geoff Lloyd, with correct t-shirt:

[IMG]

Will take a couple of proper pics some time soon...
  14. Hsing Moderator

How cool! Where did you get the hair? Did you behead a barbie?
  15. Katcal I Aten't French !

Oh if only :D Nope, the hair is unravelled orange wool, I made a thin paper maché cast of the head, cut out the hairline and sewed the wool onto it, wig-style (or doll-style, I guess), then glued the cast back onto the head. A bit tricky, but it worked out quite well I think...
  16. mazekin Member

I hate to say it but I thought it was Chris Evans until I read down to the end of the post. (Chris Evans, not Chris Evans)

Very cool though!
  17. Katcal I Aten't French !

Hah, Chris Evans used to be his boss actually! But yeah, I can see what you mean ;)
  18. Tephlon Active Member

That's really nice!

You should put the slogan he has on the shirt on the shirt. (on the shirt!)
  19. redneck New Member

On the shirt? Really.
  20. Katcal I Aten't French !

I did, the Munny one says "pie in a tree my cherry", which makes about as much sense as the original...
  21. Katcal I Aten't French !

Here is its current state, Im thinking of making a pair of headphones and a microphone to maybe make the reference more... well, obvious...

[IMG]

The borg Munny is underway, after dissecting a toaster, I have begun trying to place things...

[IMG]

Current idea for the other proto-Munny is a Davey Jones crew member, à la Pirates of the Carribean... Sommat like this:

[IMG]
  22. Buzzfloyd Spelling Bee

Awesome! I specially like the Borg.
  23. Gypsy New Member

Yes, the Borg one caught my eye too. But I would be afraid of it waking up, assimilating all of my appliances in the night and then coming after me.

Sweet dreams! :)
  24. Pepster New Member

I quite like the borg one as well, I think that you could have a very striking figure if you were to paint it in a very minimalistic style
  25. Katcal I Aten't French !

Just a quick update, because I'm quite proud of my handiwork today: I have got the light working! Borg Munny is activated! He also has a rather nifty pair of rubber boots, and a few other bits... Actually, one of the neater features is on his back, must remember to make sure it's visible when he's on his stand.
    [IMG]
  26. Maljonic Administrator

Well where's the picture you terrible tease?!
  27. Katcal I Aten't French !

28. Buzzfloyd Spelling Bee

29. Katcal I Aten't French !

Well, the Geoff-munny is now pretty much finished. The one thing I would like to add is a foam tip for the mic but hey, it still looks pretty good as it is...

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]
  30. Buzzfloyd Spelling Bee

Looking good, Kat!
  31. Hsing Moderator

Very cool! Did the original get to see them? :)
  32. Katcal I Aten't French !

Not sure he's seen the pics at all, I posted them on Twitter, but he hasn't commented so far. I'll be writing up a blog post for my creative blog :: Poukai creations :: with added Poukaï inside and I'll send him a link to that, make sure he does see it... I must say I'm a lot more pleased with it than I thought I would...