Mowgli or Ivan...

Discussion in 'BOARDANIA' started by Garner, Jan 11, 2007.

1. Garner Great God and Founding Father

How would one pronounce "Mezhirech", assuming that's even how its spelled in the roman alphabet.
  2. chrisjordan New Member

Ivan? Has he even been here in the last century?
  3. Garner Great God and Founding Father

i'm keeping hope alive.
  4. mowgli New Member

...ditto!

I've never heard the word :p - where did you hear it/in what context/why do you suppose it's Russian?

edited: to add a raspberry, as opposed to a smiley-face with a "p" hanging off it
  5. Garner Great God and Founding Father

its a city. some famous hasidic rabbi's from there. its from ya'll's neck of the wood.
  6. mowgli New Member

...Never heard! If I remember, I'll check on any available map of Ukraine when I get home (currently working, or should be anyway)
  7. Garner Great God and Founding Father

if it turns out to be polish, i'm going to be a bit embarassed.
  8. Marcia Executive Onion

Part of what is now Ukraine used to be Poland. It's possible that it was in Poland when the Rabbi was alive, and is now in Ukraine. (Do you know where it is on a map; is it near the border?)

The spelling/pronunciation of the name of the city may have changed as well.

Edit: I checked the Jewish genealogy database, which gives the modern names of cities. There is a Mezhirichi in Ukraine.
  9. Garner Great God and Founding Father

thats the bunny, i think.
  10. Katcal I Aten't French !

**pop up comically**

Bunny ?
  11. Roman_K New Member

*hits bunny with a mallet*

It would seem that I gave you the Yiddish name for the town over MSN, Garner. Mezirich.