no one out of Australia is going to get this

Discussion in 'BOARDANIA' started by edster, Sep 4, 2006.

1. edster New Member

look at this if you know who Steve Irwin is, poor guy :(
  2. Buzzfloyd Spelling Bee

Actually, many people know of Steve Irwin. Is this for real? If so, that's some sad news. He was pretty young.
  3. edster New Member

You do? Well that’s new to me. Poor guy I all ways thought it would be a crocodile that would get him.
  4. TamyraMcG Active Member

That is shocking news, I have seen that guy and wondered how he could take such risks. It seems he died with his boots on, doing what he loved, and no doubt it would have to have been something like a freak accident to do him in.

I'm sorry for his little kids. He would have been a pretty good dad to bring to career day.
  5. Ba Lord of the Pies

Ba has found several sources corroborating it, so yes, it would appear that it is in fact true.

Edster, Steve Irwin is quite famous in other English-speaking countries aside from Australia (and, for all Ba knows, in non-English speaking countries as well). He had his own television series in the states and a movie.
  6. Silvermoth New Member

Its so sad. I feel so sorry for his family especially his daughter. I only found out 30 minutes ago.
    ________
    LusieR
  7. Maljonic Administrator

I think his death is a great loss for future generations of young TV viewers who'll not get to see his enthusiasm for wild animals and inrease their own interest in the subject. He was a captivating presenter for grown ups too, I'll miss him anyway.
  8. Tephlon Active Member

I liked him but thought he was a bit "too enthousiastic" at times. Made good TV though.
    People will get to know him from reruns...

I mean, people are only now discovering the miraculous painting method of Bob Ross, and he's been dead for 10+ years.
  9. edster New Member

I never did watch his show, that is why i didn't know that he was big out side Australia
  10. redneck New Member

The news I got was that the stingray barb went directly through his heart. That would be quite a painful way to go. I'll miss seeing him on Animal Planet. I'll still watch his reruns, but his new shows and his blooper reels were fantastic.
  11. Hex New Member

Wow, that's sad news. Can't say I ever watched his show, but the constant parody in the media of his tendency to say 'crikey' has often made me smile.
    But I agree with Tamyra, at least he died doing what he loved.
  12. inwig New Member

I haven't dived with sting rays, only mantas and we were even warned about making them feel threatened. The ray wouldn't have lashed without feeling defensive, and those tails move like fury.

I am sorry to hear that someone who has done so much to promote animal's rightful places on the planet has finally met his demise through something as freakish as a heart strike by a ray.
  13. Bradthewonderllama New Member

A shame. I hope that his family will be okay.
  14. Marcia Executive Onion

He did a lot of good work. It is very sad. He was very well known in the US and the UK. His wife is American.
  15. spiky Bar Wench

I heard this yesterday and it is sad and kind of freaky... Someone from his zoo said that of all the animals that could have killed him, the sting ray was the least likely. Apparently theres been all of 3 deaths from sting rays in Australia, ever. So it was a weird way to go for a guy who hung out with crocs and snakes and such...

The incident was filmed and reports so far say that he wasn't doing anything to provoke the ray (not saying it wasn't feeling threatened), the barb hit him in the heart, he pulled it out of his own chest and was probably dead before the cameraman could get him to the surface.

He was (in)famous around the world and the media here has gone all sentimentally crazy over the story. Besides a big slab of the news programs devoted to it, there's also going to be whole shows in his tribute. It just seems to be all so over the top for a guy who'd probably just want to be with his family...
  16. TamyraMcG Active Member

Steve Irwin is the biggest news story on the news networks in the states today. I've been lisening to discussions about him for at least an hour on Foxnews(Fair and Balanced). I just turned to CNN and they are also talking about him.
  17. Katcal I Aten't French !

They have just mentioned his death on the morning news here, I was quite surprised... he wasn't well known here, but they gave him a full feature with bits of his show.
  18. Watchman New Member

Just to confirm that yep, he was certainly fairly well known in UK. It was brought to my attention when my line manager sent me a link to the story which was headlining on the BBC news website. Horribly ironic that after a life time of tangling with the deadliest critters he could find he was killed by one of the most peaceful...
  19. fairyliquid New Member

It was the front pages of the Singaporean newspaper today - there are a lot of aussies here so it's not surprising.

I was shocked to hear he was dead - he was a very entertaining guy. Can't say I watched his show much though.
  20. Marcia Executive Onion

21. Buzzfloyd Spelling Bee

Sorry to derail the topic, but spot the error in this quote from that article:

[quote:6b5a8bdac5]The site had contributions from readers in Guam, Romania, Thailand, France, Scotland, India, New Zealand, Canada, Brunei, Britain, Malaysia, Denmark and the Netherlands.[/quote:6b5a8bdac5]
  22. chrisjordan New Member

Pfft. Scotland isn't part of Britain.
  23. Ba Lord of the Pies

Canada isn't a real country. It was made up by the government as a cover for the top secret sasquatch colony.
  24. chrisjordan New Member

Also, France is part of New Zealand.

And they forgot to mention Cydonia.
  25. inwig New Member

[quote:d5e2321ac5="chrisjordan"]Pfft. Scotland isn't part of Britain.[/quote:d5e2321ac5]
    You aren't supposed to tell the world that. Its a national secret.
  26. Hex New Member

[quote:814bcec471="chrisjordan"]Also, France is part of New Zealand.

And they forgot to mention Cydonia.[/quote:814bcec471]

Where's Cydonia?
  27. inwig New Member

[quote:bf78e67790="Hex"]Where's Cydonia?[/quote:bf78e67790]
    It is the area on Mars where all that controversy about the 'face' that was or wasn't there (depending when you looked at it) is situated.

I'm open to correction but think it was named after a city in ancient Greece or Crete.
  28. QuothTheRaven New Member

[quote:3e5930f85b="Watchman"]Just to confirm that yep, he was certainly fairly well known in UK. It was brought to my attention when my line manager sent me a link to the story which was headlining on the BBC news website. Horribly ironic that after a life time of tangling with the deadliest critters he could find he was killed by one of the most peaceful...[/quote:3e5930f85b]
    Alexander the great died of natural causes.
  29. TamyraMcG Active Member

Wouldn't the contributions have to come from writers? Reading is said to be a creative act but it doesn't show up on the internet, or does it?
  30. Rincewind Number One Doorman

[quote:ac05efae83="Buzzfloyd"]Sorry to derail the topic, but spot the error in this quote from that article:

[quote:ac05efae83]The site had contributions from readers in Guam, Romania, Thailand, France, Scotland, India, New Zealand, Canada, Brunei, Britain, Malaysia, Denmark and the Netherlands.[/quote:ac05efae83][/quote:ac05efae83]

New Zealand is nowhere near as 'new' as they'd have you believe.
  31. Marcia Executive Onion

I just remembered that last year I went to a pub/fancy dress thing where a group of us had to dress up like crocodile hunters, including walking through the town centre carrying around a giant blow-up crocodile.

I still have the khaki outfit.
  32. Buzzfloyd Spelling Bee

That sounds like fun, Marcia. Do you have photos?