OmCon 2006

Discussion in 'BOARDANIA' started by OmKranti, May 7, 2006.

1. OmKranti Yogi Wench

Well, it official. I've booked my ticket.

I will be in England from October 20th to October 30th.

Soooooo, lets do this thing. Rock on!

Feel free to post any suggestions on what we should do or where we should go.
  2. Maljonic Administrator

That's great, I'll be down with the OmCon. :)
  3. Hsing Moderator

Yay! I'll have to decide shortly before, because I never know if I've got enough money - but I've started saving up!
  4. Garner Great God and Founding Father

OmCon (actually GraceCon, because grace is cooler) is going to have to focus around multiple things, mostly Om's availability.

However, Grace's birthday is October 25th, and I'm sure we'll be able to manage some sort of Hastings event at or around that time. Anyone know what day of the week it is, by any chance?

Now, we've got limited sleeping space here at the Garners', but we can accomodate at least a few folks, and there's plenty of bed & breakfasts in town, at least one within walking distance of our house. How big a thing we do for GraceCon is purely up to Om and everyone else who's willing to make the trek down here.

Other than that, a London meet up is fairly central for anyone who has to fly in but multi-day events can be costly to arrange (and i'm not sleeping in a hostel again, or paying more than 150 a night for anything short of four stars).

Given that my employment status beyond July is still uncertain, I can't commit to any travel further afield than london at this time.
  5. Darth_Bemblebee New Member

Mmph. This doesn't concern me in the slightest, but I'm happy to offer the information that this year October 25th will be a Wednesday.
  6. Guest Guest

WOOOHOOOO as long as cash is ok i will be attending the OMCON.

Slightly off subject, Who is going to the DMC? and do we know exactly when it is being held?
  7. Maljonic Administrator

What's the DMC?
  8. Delphine New Member

Yay OmCon! I'll be there, wherever it is. hastings or london should be easy enough for me to get to. And i wont be in pesky Chester anymore either! Hooray!

Oh wait. If it's a weekend, it should be fine. But wednesday may not. i'll be working by then, and its likely i would have used up all of my holiday before that on other things... oh well, doesn't matter. i'll be there :)

edit: as for DMC, me and doors [i:ff5c8d02f0]should[/i:ff5c8d02f0] be going to that... But it seems nobody knows what's even happening. Are we meeting the people before the who concert? i think they may be busy queueing... same weekend? Its the 2nd july, isn't it? so many questions! does anyone know anything about this?

>looks pointedly at ben<
  9. Electric_Man Templar

*holds up shield to protect self from pointed look* Those things can break the skin you know!

The weekend is over the 1st and 2nd of July.

The Garners and Hermias are going to the concert, which opens it's gates at about 2pm. So there's plenty of time before that to meet up with them and possibly on the friday night beforehand.

Avgi has said she will be able to come over. Miss Whiplash, Rinso, Ella, Doors, Victimov and myself have expressed a very strong interest in going - I would say Ella and Doors are the biggest doubts of that lot, slaves to finances that they are.

If anyone else is free for the 1st July in London, you'll be very welcome (unless you really are an axe-murderer)
  10. OmKranti Yogi Wench

[quote:e0eda9c1c2="Garner"]OmCon (actually GraceCon, because grace is cooler) is going to have to focus around multiple things, mostly Om's availability.

[/quote:e0eda9c1c2]

Huh! You're just bias. Besides, you can have GraceCon anytime, while OmCon only happens when you wish upon a star. So, nya!

Availibility is good right now, I was thinking of of coming to London from mansfield on Wed morning and leaving oh, I dunno. Never. Nah, but flight's out Monday. But, I don't want to have to spend anymore time in Mansfield than I have too. I think a marathon ov evens that spill into the weekend is called for.

So, possibly staying with other friends Saturday & Sunday...I really don't know yet guys. Keep the suggestions coming.

Edit to say: I can spell. I'm s-m-r-t.
  11. Maljonic Administrator

You could take that trip to York you always promised yourself, then it's only a less than 2 hour train ride to spill into London. :)
  12. Victimov8 New Member

[quote:3d3904d34c="OmKranti"]
    But, I don't want to have to spend anymore time in Mansfield than I have too. I think a marathon ov evens that spill into the weekend is called for.

I'm s-m-r-t.[/quote:3d3904d34c]

Leaving Mansfield ASAP - definintely smart idea!

I should be up for a trip to the big smoke in July, but also up for a trip in October too for the OMGraceCon...

Edit to add: To put some minds at ease from a different thread...

I won't be coming alone, as I have found someone too
    I am a part of the anonymous couple!!!

MissWhiplash (Wend) and I are an item - Not wanting to steal the thunder of Doors and Delphine though - so here is as good a place to mention it as any other... ;)
  13. Guest Guest

See, being an internet geek does have its benefits........

:D :axe: :D
  14. mowgli New Member

Om, you're baaaaaaad! So soon after you divorced poor Ella, too!

(Yes Doors, you're a rebound girl :( )
  15. spiky Bar Wench

pffft to you all

I shall sit in cold wintery Canberra and think nasty thoughts about you all.

Have fun!

Oh and yay for Missy and Dave... Although the axe was a little distrubing.

BTW I may be attending a conference in Orlando Florida in late September, early October so maybe that could be the catalyst for a UScon?
  16. mowgli New Member

Oooooops... sorry Om :) ! (Don't ask me how I mistook Dave for you, I need time to think up coherent excuses)

Mazel tov :) !
  17. KaptenKaries New Member

[quote:d9d49d553c="Victimov8"]I won't be coming alone, as I have found someone too
    I am a part of the anonymous couple!!!

MissWhiplash (Wend) and I are an item - Not wanting to steal the thunder of Doors and Delphine though - so here is as good a place to mention it as any other... ;)[/quote:d9d49d553c]

Well that went fairly quick! Good on yer!
  18. Electric_Man Templar

Yep, congrats VW! (as you shall now be called until you are sued by Germans)
  19. Bradthewonderllama New Member

Congratulations!
  20. Delphine New Member

Awww, glad you finally made it all official like. Congratulations!

Mowgli, your error made me laugh. :)
  21. Garner Great God and Founding Father

[quote:223e9852fd="Victimov8"]MissWhiplash (Wend) and I are an item - Not wanting to steal the thunder of Doors and Delphine though - so here is as good a place to mention it as any other... ;)[/quote:223e9852fd]

we knew that one already, too.
  22. OmKranti Yogi Wench

[quote:1f593ba57f="Garner"][quote:1f593ba57f="Victimov8"]MissWhiplash (Wend) and I are an item - Not wanting to steal the thunder of Doors and Delphine though - so here is as good a place to mention it as any other... ;)[/quote:1f593ba57f]

we knew that one already, too.[/quote:1f593ba57f]

But you know all. So, you can't really compare.

Delphine never asked me for a divorce, as far as I'm concerned we're still married. Nobody has come to my house to serve me papers yet, so nya Doors, in your scottish face! Um...feel free to date my wife.

Edit to add: Mowgli, that was funny.
  23. Cynical_Youth New Member

That's great. Congratulations! :)
  24. Guest Guest

:D Thanks all for your kind words.....we were worried about telling you all, obviously with me splitting from my husband (i use the term husband loosely) it didn't look good.

Dave was a huge help to me when i needed someone and now i know what happiness feels like i don't want to go back to the miserable life i had before.

I also need to thank Garner cos without his sense of humour (throwing us into a conversation together and sodding off was a stroke of genius) we would never have met. So thanks.

I still have huge commitment issues but with his and others help i'm gonna get over it. Again thanks all for being there and being kind and supportive.

Slushy stuff over with.......YAY DMC HERE WE COME!!!!!!
  25. Victimov8 New Member

Yep - cheers guys!

(None of that emotional stuff - Me Bloke!)

Edit to add:
    How did Garner know? This omniscience really works huh?
  26. Orrdos God

Yeah, congratulations to you both :)

On the omcon subject, I for see no reason why the Doors can't make it, money and time permitting!
  27. colonesque10 New Member

[quote:b93aed6bfb="Electric_Man"]If anyone else is free for the 1st July in London, you'll be very welcome (unless you really are an axe-murderer)[/quote:b93aed6bfb]

I should be free for July the 1st so i'm pretty sure i'll be available to laugh at Ben's haircut for a couple of days. :)

Also, Congrats to the lovers, I hope everything works out great for you. This board is turning into somewhat of a dating agency, don't get any ideas Ben. :shock:
  28. Garner Great God and Founding Father

[quote:fc2698d52e="misswhiplash"]:D Thanks all for your kind words.....we were worried about telling you all, obviously with me splitting from my husband (i use the term husband loosely) it didn't look good.

Dave was a huge help to me when i needed someone and now i know what happiness feels like i don't want to go back to the miserable life i had before.

I also need to thank Garner cos without his sense of humour (throwing us into a conversation together and sodding off was a stroke of genius) we would never have met. So thanks.

I still have huge commitment issues but with his and others help i'm gonna get over it. Again thanks all for being there and being kind and supportive.

Slushy stuff over with.......YAY DMC HERE WE COME!!!!!![/quote:fc2698d52e]

people think i'm just anti-social, but really i'm manuvering you all into romantic doom... DOOM!!!
  29. Guest Guest

[quote:75873dd88e="Garner"][quote:75873dd88e="misswhiplash"]:D Thanks all for your kind words.....we were worried about telling you all, obviously with me splitting from my husband (i use the term husband loosely) it didn't look good.

Slushy stuff over with.......YAY DMC HERE WE COME!!!!!![/quote:75873dd88e]

people think i'm just anti-social, but really i'm manuvering you all into romantic doom... DOOM!!![/quote:75873dd88e]

Well if this is doom, i'm happy, like i said "thank you"
  30. Marcia Executive Onion

31. Victimov8 New Member

[quote:a2e4cb13dd="colonesque10"][quote:a2e4cb13dd="Electric_Man"]If anyone else is free for the 1st July in London, you'll be very welcome (unless you really are an axe-murderer)[/quote:a2e4cb13dd]

I should be free for July the 1st so i'm pretty sure i'll be available to laugh at Ben's haircut for a couple of days. :)

Also, Congrats to the lovers, I hope everything works out great for you. This board is turning into somewhat of a dating agency, don't get any ideas Ben. :shock:[/quote:a2e4cb13dd]

I thought the sixth couple were Rinso & Kenny not Ben & Kenny!?!

:?
  32. Hsing Moderator

[quote:970a8538f2="Marcia"]:heart:[/quote:970a8538f2]

:D
  33. OmKranti Yogi Wench

So, I was wondering if there was anything that I could bring for anyone from America that you can't get in Britain?

I know when I come there I will be getting my fill of milk chocolate covered hobnobs, and jaffa cakes.

I think we should have a English biscuit party.
  34. Katcal I Aten't French !

Yes, but jaffa cakes are not biscuits. Or are they ? **ta da daaaaaam ! (suspense music)**
  35. OmKranti Yogi Wench

36. Maljonic Administrator

That's ace - Google gives it a ranking of 7 out of 10, which is really high. Maybe they're secret tea drinkers? :)
  37. Marcia Executive Onion

Don't know how these could make the journey, but haven't been able to find these in the UK:

Charlotte Russe
  38. Buzzfloyd Spelling Bee

I can't quite tell from the picture what they are, Marcia. So, what are they?

Also, cracking website, Om!
  39. Marcia Executive Onion

Little round sponge cakes with whipped cream and maraschino cherry on top.
  40. OmKranti Yogi Wench

I'll see what I can do. Although, now that this other thing has happened I don't know what they're gonna let me take with me. I know that for now there is no carroy on allowed. And stuff.

But, who knows. I just really hope this is not going to interfere with my plans. *damn you tewwowists*
  41. Garner Great God and Founding Father

i've booked off the 23rd to 27th for leave time from work in preperation for Omcon
  42. OmKranti Yogi Wench

[quote:f9d81c6c1f="Garner"]i've booked off the 23rd to 27th for leave time from work in preperation for Omcon[/quote:f9d81c6c1f]

Huzzzah!! Huzzah I say, huzzah!!!
  43. Maljonic Administrator

Has the location of OmCon 2006 been finalised, or can different venues still make their bids?
  44. OmKranti Yogi Wench

Nothing has been finalized. Vie for favor. All of you.

Acctually, I think we can be as flexible as we want with this. I'll be in London/Hastings area for the whole week, and if we want to go to York/Otherquaintenglishvillages thats fine too.

Garner?
  45. OmKranti Yogi Wench

Edit: Duplicate post.
  46. Katcal I Aten't French !

If it's held in London and the date is decided on pretty soon, I may be able to make it*. You have been warned.

*the later I know the dates, the more expensive plane tickets and accomodation will be, and therefore the less chance I have of making it...
  47. lipi New Member

I'd love to be there, but as I'm flat out broke, I can only stay home and mourn (again :cry:). Unless I suddenly get a lot of money. Which is bloody unlikely. :p
    So I hope everyone who gets there will have a great time.
  48. Hsing Moderator

I might get my hands on a few extra Euros in September or October, and might make it if I get a really cheap accomodation. I won't promise anything yet. The main problem is not the money, but that I simply might not get the few days off of my family duties I'd need.
  49. Garner Great God and Founding Father

right now, the garners are in financial scarcity. we've got enough space to put up a few people in our place, but we're already expecting to house om, mynona, and possibly plaid. if avgi's coming over, that'll take up most of our space, and pretty much preclude the chance to give any of the boys lodging. unless they want to sleep on the cold hard kitchen floor.

there's a variety of hotels and bed and breakfasts in the immediate vacinity, and some extremely nice ones along the sea front. i expect that by october, they would have many vacancie and reasonable prices. there's also a travellodge not very far from our place. kenny and doors stayed there when it was the Cinque Ports Inn a couple of years ago.

as i understand it, travellodge rates are ultra cheap if you book well enough in advance.

now, as for venues...

i fully expect that at least one day in london will be necessary. plaid has stated the need to visit devon. om was going to visit her mum at some point, i thought, but i cant remember where she lives. i hate leaving my house for any reason other than to go to the post office and collect things that people have sent me (not that any of you tightwad bastards ever DO, mind...), so things could splinter off at various points.

now, key dates to remember:

GraceCon is on October 25th. that's smack dab in the middle of the week, so i dunno if we'll have a maximum turn out that day or not. (of course, you people just LOVE her and are happy to make international journeys to see her on HER birthday... i don't even get so much as a goddamn card...). it might be best to look at a fantastic blow-out do on the 27th, 28th, and 29th, but om, plaid, and the garners don't drink. so maybe we could do something in london on friday the 27th, and then anyone sober after about 6pm could head to hastings for a good night's sleep and then go back up to london the next morning and make fun of rinso's 'hangover hair'.
  50. Katcal I Aten't French !

One thing for me and my other half, if we do come, it would be to London, and we would have no transport other than public, and not a lot of spending money... This said, don't change or arrange anything specially for us, as we aren't yet sure at all that we can make it.

Also, Kat doesn't drink, and Hubby (aka Reg') only enjoys a small glass or two, and is not all that keen on getting drunk. Once was enough.
  51. Saccharissa Stitcher

I will be leaving on the 26th, as 28 is a national holiday and I am already waiting for friends and family to come badger me in Alexandroupolis. So, if the big party can take place on the weekend before that...*puppy eyes*
  52. OmKranti Yogi Wench

Ok, here is what I have so far.

10/20 Saturday - Arriving in London Heathrow, mum coming to pick me up, go to Mansfied.

10/22 Sunday - Family Stuff

10/23 Monday - Grandma stuff in Newcastle

10/24 Tuesday - Hastings/Garners

10/25 Wednesday - GraceCon

10/26 Thursday - Possibly the best OmCon Party ever.

10/27 Friday - Possibly the best OmCon Party ever.

10/28 Saturday - Possibly the best OmCon Party ever. With me ending up somewhere in Kent for the night (possibly)

10/29 Sunday - Mums the word. (I have to spend the last day there with my mother, we won't really have any 'alone' time while I'm in mansfeild so I'm going to book a B&B possibly in Canterbury for a night or two) This also give me more time to Hang out with Ella & Doors.

So, what do you think? Does it work? Ben, I might take you up on the couch crashing offer on the Thursday or Friday. At some point I absolutely MUST go to Glastonbry Tor and also I would really like to see Stonehenge. And, I've never been to Scotland. But, that might have to wait for the next trip.

Ideas? Complaints?
  53. Electric_Man Templar

Complaints: You can't spell :p

Ideas: Couch offer is still there, there's also a bit of floor space near the sofa and room for one on my bedroom floor if a couple more want to stay (presuming my housemates don't mind, which I doubt they will). In terms of going out-ness, Wycombe isn't that great, but not far from London (as long as you catch the last train back...) or somewhere posh like Henley.
  54. OmKranti Yogi Wench

[quote:70076b6f6d="Electric_Man"]Complaints: You can't spell :p

[/quote:70076b6f6d]

Well, duh!
  55. Delphine New Member

So far, it's a bit hazy. Ideally, the plan would be that Doors gets down to Kent on the Thursday 26th. That leaves us free to make a meetup in London on the friday or saturday. We can't stay in London the night cause money is, and will be, a huge issue for both of us. But that's not really a problem, the last train is at midnight or something.

Making the wednesday is, as far as i'm aware, impossible. We both need to take more time off work a couple of weeks later, so taking the best part of a week off for this isn't feasible. :(

Om, i'll check out some B&B's for you. It'll rock, i can't wait. :)
  56. fael New Member

uh, hello, I don't really know how the time difference works, so I keep seeing posts that were posted... tomorrow... and I wondered what time it is? And if I can tell somehow?
  57. Saccharissa Stitcher

Garners! Is there a late train from Hastings to Victoria station?
  58. OmKranti Yogi Wench

Unofficial Announcement: Everyone MUST bring thier favorite type of biscuit to OmCon. Or you will die.
  59. Garner Great God and Founding Father

avgi, pretty sure there is. grace can check national rail and tell you better than i though.
  60. Buzzfloyd Spelling Bee

The last train from our station to London Victoria goes at 10.19pm, with two changes.