People, new and old, please introduce yourselves

Discussion in 'INTRODUCTIONS AND AVATAR TESTING' started by Mynona, Aug 21, 2005.

1. Maljonic Administrator

Hello hollyclara. :smile:
  2. Stercus Stercus New Member

Hi Hollyclara. Welcome.
  3. redneck New Member

Welcome, Hollyclara. I'm always glad to see another Southerner in our midst. There used to be a few of us, but one (I'll not mention names here, Clay, because I don't want to hurt anyone's feelings) turned traitor and became a redcoat. Always remember, "The South will rise again!!!" More than likely because of a volcano or some other natural disaster, but by heck we'll do it.

That reminds me of a book that my grandmother was throwing away and caught my attention. "The South Was Right!" by James Ronald and Walter Donald Kennedy. 425 pages. I still haven't even read the flyleaf. I'm gonna have to get around to it one of these days just to see what it's about. My grandmother said that the authors were just a couple of ignorant and bitter old men.
  4. hollyclara New Member

Well, I am feeling very welcome. I have never read "The South Was Right," but I think that you should listen to your granny because she sounds like she knows what she is talking about.
    I don't mind reading long books but I prefer them to be fun rather than irratating.
    I am looking forward to the new Harry Potter book. Is anyone else? Any idea when we may expect a new book from Terry Pratchett?
  5. Buzzfloyd Spelling Bee

Welcome to the boards, Paisley and Holly!

There is information about all the new releases (the next one is Making Money which I think is coming out very soon) in one of the pinned threads in the Boardania forum, and there is a discussion about Making Money somewhere, too. And please feel free to start discussing Harry Potter in the Non-Discworld Books forum - I'll race you down there!
  6. paisleymushroom New Member

Hi Hollyclara and thanks to all who have made me welcome.
    Paisleymushroom:wink:
  7. BadEarthMum New Member

I am a newbie - don't hold it against me!

1) what formed the motivational impetus for your chosen screenname?
    It just seemed appropriate for me!

2) Male or Female?
    Er Female, but I guess that BadEarthMum is a bit of a giveaway!

3) what age catagory and geographic location do you fall into?
    Well i'm somewhere in between the rightside of 40 and the wrong side of 30 and I live in a small town in Ayrshire in SW Scotland.

4) do you have good faith that a discworld movie COULD be done well enough not to suck? (note, this in no way shape or form asks about casting choices you'd like to see. i have a loaded rifle and i'm not afraid to use it.)
    I'd like to think it was possible and after seeing the Hogfather on Sky i'mm not quite as cynical as I was, but I do have some very specific images in my head for each of the characters and would hate to be disilluisioned by the movie industries complete lack of care when casting these type of films. Did I mention that Marton Csokas (Celeborn in the LOTR films) would be just perfect for Sam Vimes!

5) how, or by who, were you turned on to discworld/pratchett?
    An ex-boyfriend who was trying to apologise to me for something bought me Mort and I was hooked from then on!

6) what's your personal quote of the day?
    From Small Gods 'Words are the litmus paper of the mind. If you find yourself in the power of someone who will use the word 'commence' in cold blood, go somewhere else very quickly. But if they use the word 'Enter', don't stop to pack.
  8. Maljonic Administrator

Hello BadEarthMum. :smile:
  9. Stercus Stercus New Member

Hello and welcome.
  10. Buzzfloyd Spelling Bee

Hello and welcome, Badearthmum! Where did you get your avatar from?
  11. BadEarthMum New Member

sam vimes avatar

Erm, i'll have to ask my hubby, he found it for me, but I think it may have came from a fan art site - will ask my long suffering other half!
  12. Hsing Moderator

I have't been in this thread for a long time...
    Weeelll...
    Welcome, Paisleymushroom, Badearthmum, hollyclara, Alfonz, Woodchopper and Shregor, Grace, bazstar, katalina42, and Serenityscape... I'm looking forward to see you in the other forums. There! :biggrin:
  13. Fuzz New Member

Hello.
    • 1) what formed the motivational impetus for your chosen screenname? I'm a big fan of the Spaced crew, and their movies, the second of which is Hot Fuzz.
    • 2) Are you male or female? (Asking because there has been quite of lot of confusion over this, on and off.) Male
    • 3) what age catagory and geographic location do you fall into? I'm 19, and live in Sydney, Australia.
    • 4) do you have good faith that a discworld movie COULD be done well enough not to suck? (note, this in no way shape or form asks about casting choices you'd like to see. i have a loaded rifle and i'm not afraid to use it.) Yes, I'm very optimistic. I would absolutely love for Thief of Time and maybe Guards! Guards! to be adapted for the big screen, but I would hate the world if they didn't live up to the books.
    • 5) who or how were you turned on to discworld/pratchett? A mate of mine asked if I read the Discworld novels. I said no. He said I should. I went and bought The Colour of Magic, and have been reading them ever since.
    • 6) what's your personal quote of the day? "There are no turtles anywhere." Ponder Stibbons.
  14. Katcal I Aten't French !

Ye gods, another Aussie !

They're invading us ! Run for the hills !

:biggrin:
  15. Stercus Stercus New Member

Normally Newbits make the tea, but as you're an Aussie you can provide the tinnies.

Welcome to the Boards.
  16. Buzzfloyd Spelling Bee

Welcome to the boards, Fuzz! :smile:
  17. Fuzz New Member

No worries, mate, she'll be right.

Thanks for the welcome, guys.
  18. caffinated_geek New Member

My love of coffe is only equalled by my love of sci fi

2) Male or Female?
    female

21, England, Birmingham
    4) do you have good faith that a discworld movie COULD be done well enough not to suck? (note, this in no way shape or form asks about casting choices you'd like to see. i have a loaded rifle and i'm not afraid to use it.)
    I've never minded the movie or cartoon adaptations of pratchett books. Truckers wasn't so bad.

5) how, or by who, were you turned on to discworld/pratchett?
    Someone left a discworld book lying around when i was a kid (I think it might have been eric) and I'd read anything I picked up. After that I used to have to bribe my local librarian with cupcakes to let me take pratchett books out of the grown up section of the library.
  19. Hsing Moderator

Those sections!
    For many years of my childhood, I thought I was lucky to have a librarian who didn't have a clue of literature. She never realized what ten year old me carried home. My parents were sometimes horrified, but too happy to have at least one book crazed child to interfer.

Welcome, caffeinated geek. Actually, i am always the most caffeinated person around here, and you are definitely not the only geek around either.
  20. Katcal I Aten't French !

I thought bananas were the more usual form of librarian bribery ? But I do confirm Hsing's caffination...
  21. caffinated_geek New Member

The librarian at my local library was scary. She retired earlier this year and in all the years she worked there she never seemed to age.
  22. TamyraMcG Active Member

Welcome Caffinated geek, last weekend I got to caffinate a whole lot of geeks, I worked in the free coffee shop at the CONvergence Fantasy -s/f convention, Lord, I love us geeks!! Coffee is good, too.
  23. Buzzfloyd Spelling Bee

I know you've been around for a little while now, but here's a welcome anyway - welcome, Geek!
  24. 1)seemed like a good idea at the time
    2) male at least at last check
    3)fair to middlin geordie livin in jockland
    4)there is always hope in the world
    5)read the colour of magick at the tender age of ten and never looked back.
    6) it aint a crime if you dont get caught
  25. ethiercn New Member

Hello,

I'm new so in answer to the questions above

1. I was too lazy to change my standard one (it was a long week).
    2. female
    3. 30s, Philadelphia, PA in the U.S.
    4. Only if it is NOT done by Hollywood, in Hollywood and for Hollywood.
    5. The Year's Best Fantasy and Horror mentioned him and than I picked up Wyrd Sisters. I was depressed and that book made me laugh so hard. I've been a fan since.
    6. If he had been a dog that howled thus, they would have hanged him.
  26. Stercus Stercus New Member

Welcome, ethiercn, to the wonderful world of madness.

Damn, wrong again, that's a song intro.

Welcome to the site.
  27. Buzzfloyd Spelling Bee

Welcome to the boards, Ethier!
  28. Cyan Guest

Hello

1-Cyan is the shortened form of cyanure
    2-female
    3-34, brest, france
    4-of course, just don't place your expectations too high
    5-I learn about discworld by playing the video game, then I read some in french, and most of it in english
    6-fugit tempus irreparabile

May I ask what serie (if any) do you prefere ?
    I love both the watch and the wizards.

Cyan
  29. Maljonic Administrator

Hello Cyan, I tend to like whatever I happen to be reading, like if I haven't read a Watch book for a long time it's great to be back in that world again, and same with the Witch books etc. :smile:
  30. Katcal I Aten't French !

Welcome Cyan and all new people I haven't welcomed yet...

**wanders off muttering about there being too many Frenchies around here :biggrin: **
  31. Stercus Stercus New Member

Welome to the boards Cyan.

I prefer the Watch books, but like mal I enjoy reading the ones I haven't picked up for a long time.
  32. malueram New Member

Howdy!

• Screen name: Malueram-Latin-"I choose"
    • Male
    • I have avoided falling into any categories yet, but I'll be 40 next year. As for falling into geographic locations there was this really big ditch in front of my house I over looked while staring at some clouds....
    • Diskworld movies...Humm Hogfather was OK. Tough to get Death (or D.O.R.'s) correct. Guess we won't know until someone tries, then we can love it or complain ad nausium. I've heard Gilliam will do Good Omens....
    • I was on vacation and saw book one in a small series. It looked small, fun, and harmless (yea I ken I shoulda been on guard). After finishing it three hours later I was pleased and relieved to see I had at least 30 more novels to go. I had read Good Omens but did not look for more Pratchett novels for quite some years. Silly me!
    • Quote for today...Ok kids time to clean the kitty litters and meet momma for lunch. Definitely don't forget to wash your hands...
  33. Stercus Stercus New Member

Wecome to the massage board.

And the message board too.
  34. Maljonic Administrator

Hello malueram. :smile:
  35. Katcal I Aten't French !

36. Sunna New Member

Welcome duds.My all time favorite is the Watch series,gotta love that Mr.Vimes sir!
  37. Pete New Member

Hi folks

1. My name's Pete - chosen because... err... it's my name ;)
    2. I'm male as my name suggests.
    3. I'm 25 and live in Cheshire, England
    4. A Discworld movie (assuming we're talking a big-screen adaptation) could definitely be done well. Moving Pictures would be an obvious and fantastic starting point as it pokes fun at the whole industry.
    5. My Dad bought me Eric when I was about 11. I read the first few pages, laughed lots and then bought the first book so that I could read the series from the beginning. NAturally it took me a little while to finish Eric this way ;)
    6. "If you build it, they will come."
    So, I guess that's me :)
  38. Stercus Stercus New Member

Hello, good evening and welcome to the Board, Pete.
  39. Katcal I Aten't French !

Welcome pete !
  40. grizzly_choppers New Member

Well, suppose I should do this right:

• It was a good idea at the time. I was building motorcycles, choppers, and started using it. Now it is my name on 30-40 internet boards and I don't want to remember a new name for each one.
    2) Are you male or female? (Asking because there has been quite of lot of confusion over this, on and off.)
    • Male.
    • You'll have a hard time convincing me I'm not 17 anymore, but I've had considerably more birthdays. I'm in Iowa in the USA.
    • I think it could be done well enough to become a cult hit for many years to come. Don't know if it would ever reach the mainstream though.
    5) who or how were you turned on to discworld/pratchett?
    • Randomly bought Soul Music about 10 years ago in a German bookstore because I wanted something in English to read. I've been caught ever since.
    • Thank God summer is over!
    -Alex
  41. Stercus Stercus New Member

Welcome to the boards. :smile:
  42. Dullyr New Member

I wanted an interesting myspace name, so I looked through language dictionaries, and found dullyr in a Manx one. And I've been using it for other things too.
    2) Are you male or female? (Asking because there has been quite of lot of confusion over this, on and off.)
    Female.
    I'm 19, I live in lower lower Michigan, in the U.S.
    Yes. Maybe someday.
    I thought The Wee Free Men looked interesting, and have continued from there.
    Hugs for everyone.
  43. georgina1475 New Member

Newbie here waving with nervous smile.....

Its my name, day of birth and year.

Female

32 tomorrow living in Devon

Thats a hard one, moderate faith would best discribe it.

Pinched Mort from my elder brother and haven't looked back since.
  44. Katcal I Aten't French !

Welcome georgina (and all others I haven't greeted yet) I read that a bit fast and wondered what kind of timehole you fell through to have been born in 1475 :biggrin:
  45. Buzzfloyd Spelling Bee

I'm a bit late to the party, but welcome to Cyan, Malueram, Pete, Grizzly, Dullyr and Georgina! I hope you've been enjoying the boards!
  46. Bibi New Member

Hi All,

I am Bibi, and new to this.

My name is a diversionary tactic so my daughter would not recognise me in internet land.

Female.

I am 36 and have been reading Pratchett for the last 16 years.

Yup, I think a movie could be produced successfully, as in not dreadfully. Would have to be done by a proper fan though.

Quote.
    My way or the highway.
  47. Maljonic Administrator

Hello Bibi. :smile:
  48. Buzzfloyd Spelling Bee

Hi Bibi! Welcome to the boards. :smile:
  49. Katcal I Aten't French !

Hello Bibi and any new folk I haven't greeted yet...
  50. IgorMina New Member

Hello :) ,

I'm called IgorMina because I'm not called Igorina. ;)
    I am female and am currently living in the land of Scottishness as a student. I have been reading Pratchett since I was 12 years old.

I think that a Pratchett film could be successful if it were done properly (Hogfather wasn't bad at all), but I prefer imagining the characters and places myself, so I don't think that I would like it especially.

I'm slightly scared of introductions, so I will now hence with pernicity to the land of weird and wonderful words. :D
  51. Katcal I Aten't French !

There you are, see it didn't hurt :wink:

Oh dear, another one from Scottishland, they are invading I tells you !! :biggrin:

Welcome all the same IgorMina !
  52. Roman_K New Member

Welcome, Bibi and IgorMina. Have fun! :)
  53. mowgli New Member

Welcome :smile:
  54. Stercus Stercus New Member

Welcome Bibi.

Welcome IgorMina. ;)

Welcome to the Board.
  55. Sherelan New Member

Oh, boy, other newbies!

Hi, all! I guess I should've made my username You, but I've been Sherelan so long online it's hard to shake it. It's a madeup name because I got tired of thinking up names everyone else had already thought of.

I'm from the San Francisco Bay Area (near Concord); female, about the same age as Sam Vimes (wrong side of 40); and started reading Pterry's output when I picked up Guards, Guards a few years ago. Read that and promptly ordered all 26 of his other DW books from Amazon. Talk about a reading frenzy! :D

No personal quote because I always like other people's better than mine.
  56. mowgli New Member

Welcome, Sherelan :smile:. I like your avatar!
  57. Sherelan New Member

Thanks, Mowgli. She does look like she can take on Greebo, doesn't she?
  58. Maljonic Administrator

Hello Sherelan. :)
  59. Stercus Stercus New Member

Welcome to the board Sherelan.
  60. Lyia New Member

Hello all,
    My name is from {blushes} a character in Stargate. In my defence Binky was taken.
    I'm 32 year old female living in Michigan
    I've been reading Pratchett since senior year in high school.