People, new and old, please introduce yourselves

Discussion in 'INTRODUCTIONS AND AVATAR TESTING' started by Mynona, Aug 21, 2005.

1. Maljonic Administrator

hello bbakag. :)
  2. Cynth New Member

1) what formed the motivational impetus for your chosen screenname?
    Its just my name shortened - Cynthia

2) Are you male or female?
    Female
    3) what age catagory and geographic location do you fall into?
    25 - Rosh Pinah Namibia (and trust me you'll need a good map to find it)

4) do you have good faith that a discworld movie COULD be done well enough not to suck?
    This is a very touchy topic. You get your purists that will scream at the idea - just as with LOTR - and much will be lost in a movie. I don't think so - i think you will lose lots of the satire just for the sake of another blockbuster Hollywood CGI spectacular

5) who or how were you turned on to discworld/pratchett?
    I started reading TP at the age of 12 - when the librarian in our smalltown said i could start to read books from the adult section because i finished most of the interesting childrens books - i liked TP's book covers

6) what's your personal quote of the day?

Those who think nothing is impossible , they have never tried slamming a revolving door[/i]
  3. Smoking_GNU New Member

I feel that you will feel right at home here. :badgrin:
  4. colonesque10 New Member

Welcome bbakag and Cynth. :)

Please don't pet Rinso's beard, it's not used to social activities.
  5. Willmolly3 New Member

Will is my name and molly is my dogs name. 3 signifies my lucky number.

2) Are you male or female? (Asking because there has been quite of lot of confusion over this, on and off.)

Male

22 Uk, Europe

4) do you have good faith that a discworld movie COULD be done well enough not to suck? (note, this in no way shape or form asks about casting choices you'd like to see. i have a loaded rifle and i'm not afraid to use it.)

With the CGI effects they have now who knows, but nothing will replace the imagination that you mind created!.

I finished reading ALL of Terry Brooks books and found that I had nothing left to read. Somebody told me I should give Disc World a go, hey presto I am 10 books oin and loving it!.

Dont mess with Greebo you may end up dead!
  6. Marcia Executive Onion

Welcome all new people.
  7. SunshineDaydream New Member

So I guess this is the place where I'm supposed to introduce myself. I'm (obviously, or what else would I be doing here) a Terry Pratchett fan, and was having fun reading your posts, but since I don't want to get busted for lurking, thought I'd better say hi.

It's from a song (I think), and I thought it sounded cool. Plus the rainy seaons has started here.

2) Male or Female?
    Female, if you must know.

age-older than I look, location-USA (Oregon)

4) do you have good faith that a discworld movie COULD be done well enough not to suck? (note, this in no way shape or form asks about casting choices you'd like to see. i have a loaded rifle and i'm not afraid to use it.)

No. I'd prefer to leave the characters in my imagination.

5) how, or by who, were you turned on to discworld/pratchett?

Loved Neil Gaiman's work, bought Good Omens, and then started working my way through the Discworld books.

"Resist much, obey little." I think it's a Walt Whitman quote, but I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong.
  8. Buzzfloyd Spelling Bee

Welcome, Sunshine! :)

Welcome to all other newbies too!
  9. Maljonic Administrator

Hello SunshineDaydream :)
  10. Smoking_GNU New Member

I'm also new here but take it from me, your going to like it here.

Enjoy.
  11. colonesque10 New Member

Welcome SunshineDaydream. :)

Thats the happiest name on a board probably*

*This is by no means a fact and should not be stated as one in a court of law.
  12. Rincewind Number One Doorman

...Oh, so i won't be needing this lawyer wig then?
  13. colonesque10 New Member

Thats not a lawyer wig Rinso, thats your pathetic attempt at a beard. :p
  14. SunshineDaydream New Member

Is there some secret joke about Rincewind's beard? Or lack thereof? Or is it so secret that only very special people are allowed to see it?
  15. Buzzfloyd Spelling Bee

Several of us have met up in person from time to time, and the last time we did, Rinso had grown a beard. It was mocked.
  16. Rincewind Number One Doorman

It's sad to say Sunshine here that some members of this board are racked with jealously concerning there lack of beard growning ability. Please don't let this sicken attitude deter you.
  17. OmKranti Yogi Wench

Hi Sunshine. Welcome to Boardania.

Rinso, When I was a kid I was very upset at the fact that I was a girl. I wanted to grow a big long white beard when I got old. Like Merlin in the cartoon of "Sword in the Stone". So I am sickeningly jealous of you.
  18. colonesque10 New Member

Surely Om you must be the only person in the world who's ever been jealous of Rinso, never mind his beard. I once heard a one legged blind kid say, as Rinso walked past, 'I may have no eyes and one leg missing but I thank god everyday of my life that I didn't end up like him'. :p
  19. SunshineDaydream New Member

Thank you for all the welcomes. And thanks for the story of the evil beard, although I think I'm glad I didn't have to see it. (No offense to the beard's owner, but I've been swayed by the majority opinion.)
  20. Buzzfloyd Spelling Bee

21. Pixel New Member

So we've seen the photos - but sorry Rinso - to paraphrase Crocodile Dundee -"You call that a beard? THIS is a beard!"
  22. Anubis New Member

Uhm Hi

My Names Anubis - I enjoy a bit of ancient mythology so this seemed to fit

Male - definitly male

Age: 30 something, Location - a tit of a country at the bottom of the world

Yes a movie could be made and I hear tell that one is in the works

Stumbled upon the DVD of Soul Music one day, got intrigued and worked my way up from there.
  23. Smoking_GNU New Member

Which continent would this be?

(if its africa...)
  24. Anubis New Member

Nah, New Zealand - we've got kiwi fruit, the haka and Peter Jackson - and that's about it
  25. Bob New Member

I first read that as "we've got kiwi fruit, aka Peter Jackson" :)

Well, I thought that garner's beard was far more impressive!
    Rinso's beard isn't that bad..

Welcome to all new people!

~B:wink:B~
  26. Pixel New Member

If we're going to get into "Beard Wars" then I think mine beats Garner's and Rinso's put together - they go for the boring dull-coloured version - grey is the new black! :)
  27. Orrdos God

And rightly so.

For it was... THE SECOND WORST BEARD OF ALL TIME.

Although, I use the term beard somewhat loosely :)
  28. Orrdos God

I've not gotten around to doing this yet, so here we go.

Well, there was this game called Dune 2. And in it, there's a faction called House Ordos. My second name is Orr.

I combined the two.

As a side note, I have never played Dune 2.

2) Are you male or female? (Asking because there has been quite of lot of confusion over this, on and off.)

Male.

22 and Scotland. God, I'm getting old. 23 fast approaches.

Yes. As long as people can remember a film and a book are different mediums and don't through a fit cause not every word of the book was translated, then it'd work fine.

Recommended by a friend many a year ago. So I read Interesting Times and went on from there

Ehhh. It's too early in the day. I've not had a chance to display my dazzling wit and wisdom. Infact, the only thing I have said all day is "what's for lunch?"
  29. Smoking_GNU New Member

Hi. Nice to have some info on the people who moved from the old board.

PS: My 100 post. WOO HOO! :D
  30. Maljonic Administrator

Hello Orrdos; love the cat, what's that thing on its nose? :)
  31. Roman_K New Member

I'm guessing the thing in question is wondering just that.
  32. Orrdos God

You really don't want to know :)
  33. colonesque10 New Member

Welcome Anubis and Orrdos. :)

Edit: And a pre-welcome to Shadowgirl. :)
  34. shadowgirl New Member

hiya i'm new here. *shuffles feet*
    i'm female, i chose my name cos i like shadows.
    i'm 23 and from belfast.
    i don't think a discworld movie would be a good idea, look what they done to "Hitchhikers Guide"
    everyone in my old job like these books so i picked one up (2yrs ago) and am still only half way through, but loving them!
    my favourite quote is "bugerit! millenium hand and shrimp"
    i can't remember the rest of the questions. :)
  35. shadowgirl New Member

hmn....its a toughie.....
    Phillip Pullman is quite good.
    I like the Harry Potter books :oops:
    C.S Lewis too...
    oh this is a tough question, i like all kinds of diff books and all kinds of authors.
  36. shadowgirl New Member

hiya colonesque10
    i like the pic of Dougal. lol :lol:

wow it works, thanx chrisjordan
  37. chrisjordan New Member

Hi, shadowgirl. Just so you know, you can edit your posts if you want to add stuff to them. Just write 'Edit to add:' or something along those lines. :)
  38. Willmolly3 New Member

Welcome shadowgirl :) :)
  39. colonesque10 New Member

That is actually me Shadowgirl, I strike a shocking resembelance don't you think...? ;)
  40. Rincewind Number One Doorman

Don't listen to him, I told me he looked just like Winston Churchill (old avatar) and When I seen him for real I was both disppointed and discusted to find he looks nothing like Winston and everything like a big ugly fool.
  41. colonesque10 New Member

Shadowlady, he also looks like his avatar. Read into that what you will. :)
  42. Bob New Member

welcome shadowgirl..

2 years for 1 book, you must be busy :)

Have fun!
    ~B:wink:B~
  43. shadowgirl New Member

edited double post
  44. shadowgirl New Member

:D hiya bob no i meant i'm only half way through the discworld collection.
    sorry, i can see why i confussed everyone!
    i had to run yesterday, i have a 7mth son and he was a calling

giggle at colonesque10 and rincewind :lol:

i changed my avatar
  45. Tephlon Active Member

Hi shadowgirl.

Please try not to clutter up the board with a whole string of posts in one topic.
    When you do a double post, which can happen to anyone, just delete the content (Not the post) and put something like:

Edit: Deleted double post

It helps to keep the board readable.
    Try to never edit a post without explaining what you've edited, it helps keep the peace.

Thanks.

Now that I've got that off my chest;

Welcome! :)
  46. Jazz New Member

*unlurks a bit* *looks around for the questions*

Ah! A way of avoiding my essay!

nothing much. Have had it a while in a few places, so I keep the same one else I forget it...

female. I'm fairly sure.

I turned 21 on Monday, and in answer to the other half - good question. Several, but they're all in the south of England.

Are we not allowed to count the cartoon versions as 'movies'? I mean, if they were made full length and not chopped up all the time, albeit with that AWESOME theme sequence... I always quite liked them. Otherwise, if it has to be really filmed with real people, no I don't want a Discworld movie. I prefer the books, and imagining the people in weird ways - in my head they look more like drawings anyway. I should warn that I am an English student...books are part of the deal.

A friend of mine was obsessed when I was about 10, and kept giving me them for my birthdays. I keep re-reading them...I love the social commentary, for a critical excuse; they're such damn good stories, and they fit well in contrast to the peculiar early novels and particularly dull philosophy that people seem to feel it necessary that I read on this course.

"It is myself I've never met, whose face is pasted on the underside of my mind."
    Sarah Kane - 4.48 Psychosis

*artsy...sorry*
  47. Maljonic Administrator

Hello Jazz :)
  48. colonesque10 New Member

Welcome Jazz :)

All other kinds of music are also welcome. ;)
  49. Rincewind Number One Doorman

Not Techo, though.
  50. colonesque10 New Member

Or Irish folk. I've seen you dance Rinso and we don't want to encourage that what so ever. :p
  51. sampanna New Member

You have no business sense Kenny. Record it and send it to that funniest videos show.
  52. Rincewind Number One Doorman

I didn't know your eyes were so green kenny.
  53. Jazz New Member

*reveals secret folk fetish* (NB only if it's more than a hundred years old. can't stand the new stuff.)

Should I change my name and re-register as 'folk'? Or maybe I could have two identities...one 'Jazzy' and one 'Folky'...hmm...as if I needed any MORE schizophrenic tendencies...
  54. fairyliquid New Member

welcome jazz! happy posting :D
  55. Buzzfloyd Spelling Bee

Hey Jazz, I'm a folk fan too, but I like new stuff as well as old.
  56. dididave New Member

Hi dididave here, was on the other board for a short while, got waylaid and then found a link to here. Father of four, lover of heavy metal and reader of all things Pratchett (obviously :D ).
  57. peapod_j New Member

hi

i live is scotland and im only 17 but have read most of the discworld books over a year i love the new one and it took me 2 weeks to read it on and off now my perants are reading it. it was my perants who got me in to the books as we have a bigger colecson now then my school libary and my local libry put together.
  58. Cynth New Member

Hi Jazz AND Peapod_j
    enjoy!!!!!
  59. colonesque10 New Member

Welcome dididave and peapod_I :)

Please have a good time although if you don't please leave quietly. ;)
  60. discgamer New Member

1,I was in a hurry.
    2,Male
    3,40years old from Arizona
    4,No but so what I`ll go anyway.
    5`A friend kept loaning me excellent books I realized most of them were TP.
    6The problems of the world are not my department.