Photo Competition Thread

Discussion in 'BOARDANIA' started by Rincewind, Sep 28, 2006.

1. Rincewind Number One Doorman

I've started a new thread for the monthly competition. To make things less annoying.

I 'borrowed' these rules from an other board they seem to work well there. We can change them to suit ourselfs later, if need be.
    Rules (we can tweak these as necessary as the thing goes on)
    - Photographs must be taken by you - no nicking them off the Web
    - Photos must be taken specifically for the contest - get out there and get snapping!
    - One picture per person.
    - No excessive digital manipulation (i.e. adding a more dramatic sky from another photo to your picture). Playing with levels, saturation etc is ok though.
    - Equipment: Anything goes as long as the results can be seen from here.
    - Voting takes place when the contest closes.
    - The winner of the contest gets to choose the next subject.
    - Late entries will not be included in the voting.

Seening that this is the first competition I thought Beginning would be a suitable theme. You can take pictures of what ever that means to you.

Obvously, this is open to anyone and the more people the better. Even if you don't want to take pictures, I'm sure all the contestants would appreciate your comments.

The competition starts as of now and will end on October 22nd

That will give us enough time to have a round of voting before the new month.

Anyways, get snapping both for here and the other thread!

:)

[/b]
  2. redneck New Member

Who are the judges to be? I've no camera but would still like to be in the process, if possible. If not, then I am quite content to watch it all happen.
  3. fairyliquid New Member

Wouldn't we all be the judges...have a vote.

Its a great idea rinso...I'll keep an eye out for images
  4. Hsing Moderator

I'm probably in it... Although I have no idea yet.
  5. Oh, I want to try. Count me in. My digital is missing a usb cord right now, but I have my handy little camera phone.
  6. TamyraMcG Active Member

Surprisingly, I have just acquired a camera/phone. I really haven't learned how to use it but maybe I can get it figured out in time. Maybe I'll finally get the MFC hooked up as well.
  7. Katcal I Aten't French !

Well I'm in too, does it really need saying ?
  8. Rincewind Number One Doorman

The community will judge. We'll have a vote at the end. Garner can judge in the event of a tie breaker, becuase i know he likes to be speical. :)
  9. Hex New Member

I'd be up for it if I can aquire a decent camera.
  10. Buzzfloyd Spelling Bee

He is special!
  11. fairyliquid New Member

I thought I'd get the ball rolling with the first photo...

This is Archie, a stray kitten a friend af mines rescued a few days ago. I'd say this is about as sweet a beginning as you'd find....

[IMG]
  12. Buzzfloyd Spelling Bee

Awwwwwwwwww!
  13. KaptenKaries New Member

Cat's eyes seem to be so much more clearer in their colours than human eyes. I'm sure this has an explanation. Great picture, and to echo Grace, aww that's a cute little pussy!
  14. OmKranti Yogi Wench

And what a clean floor you have!
  15. fairyliquid New Member

haha, well, it's my friends floor but I'm sure she would appreciate the comment, Om.

The cat is one of three (Archie, Violet and Leo), they were abandoned by their mother so my friend took them in and they have ti be the sweetest things. Violet and Archie kept having cat fights (sorry, I had to say it) over our legs...it had to be the most adorable thing....

Isn't it somethign to do with them needing night vision...I'm not sure I'd have to look it up....

Your right though his eyes are so bright it's amazing...i think some of it in that shot is the way the light was...his eyes are a little lighter...
  16. Katcal I Aten't French !

Cats are the best when it comes to natural floor sweepers, as long as they don't knock anything over... they are especially good at dusting under furniture.

Nice pic, fairy, from what I know, cats' eyes reflect the light because of their night vision, which is why the reflectors on roads are called that, and so this is why if a flash or interior lighting is used, it easily reflects and makes the eyes look strange, a little like human red-eye effect. Reminds me of a random pic I must put on line...
  17. OmKranti Yogi Wench

last weekend I went up to the mountains. I took this picture because everytime I go up ther eI wonder what it would have been like in the begining, manifest destiny, untamed earth, before we fucked it all up with out "civilization"

Edit to remove garganchuan image of mountains.
  18. OmKranti Yogi Wench

well, I tried to make it smaller in paint, but I guess it didn't work. I uploaded a bunch to Ringo, and I wanted to post them in Rinso's thread, but if I can't make them smaller, it would be a shame. Any ideas?
  19. Electric_Man Templar

Just give us a link to the picture, rather than displaying it in the thread.
  20. mowgli New Member

Fairyliquid, your pic made me think of the quote from Last Hero

"kitten stared back at Death with mad amasement of kittens everywhere" :)
  21. OmKranti Yogi Wench

22. Buzzfloyd Spelling Bee

Wow! Beautiful, Om.
  23. Rincewind Number One Doorman

Great Photo's guys. I've taken one or two but i'm going to wait before I post to see if i can come up with anything better. Oh Om, there is a free program called Irfanview that you can download and use to re-size photos.
  24. Great photo's! That kitten is so cute!
    Ever wonder where the phrase 'harmless as a kitten' came from? Its been my experience that kittens are not harmless, but then maybe I got the Diablo of the species. :lol:

Gorgeous mountain too, Om. Is that year round snow?

And submitted from my camera phone (so its a bit fuzzy):
    [IMG]
    The beginning of autumn in my yard.
  25. Maljonic Administrator

This is my competition entry for the title, Beginning.

[IMG]
  26. Katcal I Aten't French !

Ooooh, shiny conkers !

I"m still thinking about mine, can"t quite decide which idea I like best...

(sorry about the " my apostrophe is playing up...)
  27. OmKranti Yogi Wench

I miss conkers. I haven't seen any here. I'll have to make a point to pick some up when I visit.
  28. Buzzfloyd Spelling Bee

I like the different textures in that picture, Mal.
  29. Hsing Moderator

I hope it won't be too late already; at least over here (roughly the same climatic zone, at least the weather related threads suggested it) the conkers fell two weeks ago, and were picked up within days.

And the picture is beatuiful, Mal.

I've taken some with my Yashica medium format camera from 1958...
    I don't know, somehow they're all more "end" pictures than "beginning" pictures, in a way that would make the twist "Every end is a beginning..." too artificial. I don't even know if they'll be developed until the 22nd...
  30. Rincewind Number One Doorman

That's lovely Mal.
  31. plaid New Member

this is my entry:

[IMG]

it's not too big, is it?
    i hope not.

if i might make excuses for the fuzziness, this was taken on my lowly camera phone.
  32. spiky Bar Wench

I got a new mobile with a pretty cool camera so here is my effort from Canberra's annual tulip festival...

[IMG]
  33. Hsing Moderator

Tulips... I miss tulips...
  34. Katcal I Aten't French !

Lovely tulips Spiky, and I like the idea plaid, despite the fuzziness, can't really be helped with cameraphones...
  35. Rincewind Number One Doorman

[IMG]

Here's my entery. :)
  36. Electric_Man Templar

Ah, let's have a go. This is the beginning of something enjoyable...

[IMG]
  37. Hsing Moderator

...drools...
  38. Rincewind Number One Doorman

Great picure ben!Ok Guys I'm going to leave the compitition open to monday- mostly becuase i won't have internet access til then. Also we should decicide now can people who have entered the comp cast a vote...obivously not for themselves. Seening as this (hopefully) is a friendly competition,I say yes, but if people think it would be more fun otherwise thats cool.

anyways

VOTING STARTS MONDAYS! SO GET YOUR PICTURES IN NOW!
  39. Katcal I Aten't French !

[IMG]

Here's mine, damn you Rinso for kind of pinching my idea, I should have plosted this before, it's been ready for a week :D This is the beginning of my Pratchett adventure...

Nice pic Ben. So, who's this Jerry eh ?
  40. Rincewind Number One Doorman

God... How unorginal are we.
  41. Hsing Moderator

Can I still enter something tomorrow?
  42. Rincewind Number One Doorman

Yeah. I'm going to close the competition today at 6pm (uk time). Hurry Hsing!