Photo Competition XVIII

Discussion in 'BOARDANIA' started by Joculator, Apr 7, 2009.

1. Joculator The 'Old' Fool

Okay, boys and girls...
    It seemed like everyone suffered with the last topic so I feel inspired to announce the new competition with a fitting subject.

The Theme:

'Bad Hair Day'

The Rules:

- Photographs must be taken by you - no nicking them off the Web
    - Photos must be taken specifically for the contest - get out there and get snapping!
    - One picture per person.
    - No excessive digital manipulation (i.e. adding a more dramatic sky from another photo to your picture, or creating negative images etc.). Cropping, and adjusting levels, contrast, saturation etc. is ok though.
    - Equipment: Anything goes as long as the results can be seen from here.
    - Voting takes place when the contest closes.
    - The winner of the contest gets to choose the next subject.
    - The entire community is allowed to vote for one picture in the voting thread

And for information and review, here are the past competitions and their themes:

I "Beginning":
    Photo Competition Thread

II "Connection":
    Photo Competition II, November 2006

III "Faith":
    Photo Competition III, January 2007

IV "Colour":
    Photo Competition IV, Feb 2007.

V "Time":
    Photo Competition V, March 2007

VI "Love":
    Photo competition VI

VII "Landscape":
    Photo competition VII

VIII "Moment":
    Photo Competition VIII

IX "Roots":
    Photo Competition IX

X "Surfaces":
    Photo Competition X

XI "Joy":
    Photo Competition XI

XII "Magic":
    Photo Competition XII

XIII Shadow and Light":
    Photo Competition XIII

XIV "Decay":
    Photo Competition XIV

XV "Water":
    Photo Competition XV - Water

XVI "Fire & Ice"
    Photo Competition XVI

XVII "Dreams":
    Photo Competition XVII

Starting Date: Sunday April 12th
    Last Entries by: Sunday May 10th

Now this one should be a challenge for me... being an 'Eggshell Blonde', so let's see some really bad comb-overs from you 'barcode heads' :D
  2. Buzzfloyd Spelling Bee

Garner and I have a camera now. I'm not sure that our skills are quite up to the usual standard, but you never know...
  3. Joculator The 'Old' Fool

The competition is now open.
  4. Buzzfloyd Spelling Bee

Will you allow silly, crap entries by people who don't really know how to use their camera?
  5. Hsing Moderator

I think that the competitions used to be more frequented and interesting when people entered snapshots, mobile phone pictures et al without thinking too much. Compare the older competitions to the last few ones. The quality in the last few ones was all good, but the pictures got fewer and fewer. That's not a good development if we want to keep doing these competitions.
  6. Joculator The 'Old' Fool

- Photographs must be taken by you - no nicking them off the Web
    - Photos must be taken specifically for the contest - get out there and get snapping!
    - One picture per person.
    - No excessive digital manipulation (i.e. adding a more dramatic sky from another photo to your picture, or creating negative images etc.). Cropping, and adjusting levels, contrast, saturation etc. is ok though.
    - Equipment: Anything goes as long as the results can be seen from here.
    - Voting takes place when the contest closes.
    - The winner of the contest gets to choose the next subject.
    - The entire community is allowed to vote for one picture in the voting thread.

I feel sad to admit it, but I've often had the same thoughts about the competitions as Hsing.

Quoted above are the rules everyone has been using since Rincewind posted the first competition. I agree that it makes it more fun when you have to look for a specific shot rather than going back through a few years of archives to find a photograph to fit the theme, but it apears that any entry is still welcome from any media.
    As for lack of entries, I'm not sure. Over the past few months we've had several periods when only a small amount of 'hard core' members have made any posts, any where on the boards (other commitments maybe?). The subjects have been fairly general although one or two have certainly caused me to think about them. Maybe making the thread sticky, so it stays at the top of the list would keep it where everyone can see and remember it. (Help from a friendly moderator?... Anyone??)

Apart from those thoughts... I'm at a loss for an explanation of minimum entries.

I love the silly and ridiculous ideas you guys come up with... Let's see them!
  7. Buzzfloyd Spelling Bee

I am not adverse to the suggestion of stickying, but I have to say that I stop seeing the stickied threads, so they have the opposite effect for me from what they're supposed to have.
  8. Joculator The 'Old' Fool

Subtle reminder...
    Two weeks to go before 'judment day'. Plenty of time to get out and get snapping. No excuse with all this fine weather we're having. :D
  9. Hsing Moderator

Same here. The only thing that really gets my attention is a new post - but I tend to go completely blind for the stickied threads for some reason.
  10. Katcal I Aten't French !

Right, let's get this one started! And today proved to be the perfect occasion for taking this pic: I cut my hair for the first time in quite a while, chopped off about 30cm, from bum-long to shoulder long...

[IMG]
  11. Hsing Moderator

Wow! How does it feel? Also: Great entry. It was definitely a bad day for that particular pile of hair!
  12. Katcal I Aten't French !

It feels a lot lighter ! Reg however is still in shock.
  13. Buzzfloyd Spelling Bee

Wow, Kat! I'm going to take a picture in a minute, if I can find the camera. We've just moved the computers from the study to the sitting room, and everything's in chaos. But if you saw the state of my hair and of my sitting room, I think you'd agree that it's a Bad Hair Day!
  14. Hsing Moderator

*has a vague idea*
  15. Lyia New Member

16. Joculator The 'Old' Fool

Well, if I can remove my digit and stir myself to dust off the camera, there is only one week left to grab a suitable entry.

Two entries now folks so we will be able to vote... from Monday May 11th.

Truly it will be a 'bad hair day'... No extensions! :D
  17. Joculator The 'Old' Fool

Who thinks up these subjects? Oh, I did this time.
    Never mind, being an eggshell blonde I'm a bit limited in the cranial adorment stakes so I took the literal meaning of a general misfortune and produced this abstract
    Just for the squeamish... the ear is false but grand-dad's razor is still doing a good days work after 80 years.

[IMG]
  18. Hsing Moderator

I spent the week lying in bed, so I am a bit late. Also, I need a haircut.

[IMG]
  19. Joculator The 'Old' Fool

Ooops, I forgot the voting was supposed to start on Monday. Okay, I'll catch up later tonight so if there are any late entries, from owners of new cameras perhaps, you've got until midnight to 'strut your stuff'. :D
  20. Buzzfloyd Spelling Bee

Well, I have been totally lacking in any inspiration, and therefore don't really have a picture to fit the theme as such. So here is a picture of me, because today I have definitely been having a Bad Hair Day in the non-literal sense (you can judge the literal sense for yourself).

[IMG]
  21. Joculator The 'Old' Fool

******** The competition is now CLOSED *********