Pratchett, from a distance

Discussion in 'BOARDANIA' started by Garner, Oct 13, 2007.

1. Garner Great God and Founding Father

So, he was still signing books at god knows what hour when we went down to Forbidden Planet so I could buy some toys for myself. I stole a glance over in the back of the shop where he was seated, and got a giddy little rush of fanboyness.

This was interesting to me, because I haven't thought of myself as a Pratchett fanboy in ages.
  2. TamyraMcG Active Member

Well, he is like one of the coolest authors alive. I was surprised how soon and often his work came up on the list of most popular books from iRead on facebook.
  3. Maljonic Administrator

Yeah, we queued for three hours and there was at least three hours' worth of people behind us. I think he's quite a hero just for being able to sign all those books and say something to all those people.
  4. missy New Member

Hero or not, he has def gone down in my estimations as he cancelled the Notts part of his tour. 6 Christmas prezzies were banking on him and he canx it. The only one on the tour.

I still love his books but i am disappointed in not getting to meet him.
  5. Tephlon Active Member

Didn't he cancel that because of a health scare?

Something they suspected was a heart attack but turned out to be stress? Or am I thinking of a different event?
  6. Maljonic Administrator

Personally I'd much rather Terry cancelled a signing than cancelled his health. There wouldn't be a book to sign in the first place if he was too ill to write one.
  7. Katcal I Aten't French !

I don't think it was a health thing, as it was cancelled in advance and none of the others were, and they were days apart... Whatever it was I'm sure it wasn't his "fault", from what I saw in London, he certainly enjoys meeting people and it looks like it's important to him, so I really don't think he would cancel a date lightly.
  8. Mithras-Kosmokrator New Member

One of my big regrets is that when I finally did get to meet him, at a book signing in Norwich, I couldn't think of anything to say! D'oh! I'd turned up really early, too - at least a couple of hours before the signing was due to start. I was only third in the queue.
  9. redneck New Member

Have I told everyone yet that I got to meet him in Memphis, TN, this past year? I got to talk with him for almost an hour before someone came and told him that he had to go and judge the costume contest. He's a very interesting guy as well as a great author.

*gloats*
  10. colonesque10 New Member

I met him once, probably around 6 to 7 years ago now, and he signed my discworld map for me, thats how long ago it was. What I noticed was he seemed to have time to talk to everyone even though he'd been there for hours, and I was right at the back of the queue. Top man. :)