Price of fuel around the world?

Discussion in 'BOARDANIA' started by Pepster, Sep 11, 2005.

1. Pepster New Member

In Australia the price of petrol per litre has gone up 20% in the last month or so and is up 40% from what it was 6 months ago.

As it turns out, the refiners have increased their profit from $7 to $17 US. A bit wrong and there is talks of investigation into privateering. Basically its just a mess thats going to screw up our economy as filling up your car is rivaling a house loan payment and the investigation is unlikely to amount to much as oil companies are to big.

So whats the price of fuel around the world? Has anyone else got crazy price increases?
  2. Delphine New Member

I heard on the radio that people were looking into modifying the petrol station forecourt signs so they can display prices of over £1 a litre.
  3. sleepy_sarge New Member

It's going up everywhere, because good ol' George Dubya and co don't keep emergency stocks of the refined product (petrol/gas) They only store crude.. Thus when their refineries get blown away by Katrina (or at least all the staff working there get evacuated - eventually - away from their place of employment) then the most energy hungry country in the world is royally screwed. Cue hundreds of supertankers heading across the oceans of the world, laden with petroleum for the USA.

Be nice if governments of the countries exporting all this liquid gold were to cut back on their tax profits. Some chance eh?

Actually my company is building a terminal in the USA to accept LNG/LPG from Australia. WHich will never have made landfall in Oz. All thanks to the NT government there, who didn't want another terminal spoiling the`beautiful Darwin area.

Oh dear I'm probably sacked now.
  4. QuothTheRaven New Member

The gas price here (California) is the highest I have ever seen it. The state legislature is considering lowering its Enviromental standards so that the cost of Gas will go down.
  5. redneck New Member

Sarge, i think that China is the most fuel hungry nation in the world. Several family members of mine worked offshore on the rigs. I haven't heard much of what's happened to the rigs and refineries off the coast, but i've been told that the damage was pretty severe.

Edit- gas here was $2.99 last week, then fell back to $2.71 on thursday. Most of our trucks only get around 4-10 gallons per mile on fuel, so gas prices have a big impact on us.
  6. mowgli New Member

Redneck, can you mail me some gasoline, please?????

It's hovering between $3.25 to $3.49 a gallon here in Delaware/Pennsylvania!

And in case anyone's interested, my brother just spent several weeks in Guyana, where gas is apparently $4.00 a gallon.
  7. Ecksian New Member

My nearest gas station is charging AU$1.26/Litre, so I'm not sure if I've got the exchange rate right, but I think fuel down here works out to about US$4.50/Gallon.
    And I live in an area that has possibly the lowest petrol prices in Australia.
  8. TamyraMcG Active Member

We had a high of $3.19 p/gal around here, it has dropped to $2.98 p/gal, I don't remember how long it has been since it has been under $2 a gallon but I sort of doubt it will go there again. I am looking at a 30 percent increase for natural gas this winter as well, I am hoping for a 30 percent warmer winter but I probably won't see that either ;)
  9. spiky Bar Wench

Australia's petrol prices tend to be lower than other developed countries because we get our stocks through the Asian market in SIngapore rather than relying on the middle East which just depends on who America has pissed off this week in that neck of the woods...

However, with shortages in other parts of the world, Iraq and the Gulf of Mexico more petrol is being diverted from Asia to the Northern Hemisphere decreasing supply and driving up prices as the basic economic function of supply and demand kick in... BTW I'm currently paying $1.40/litre at the moment as we are classed as rural and the transportation costs added to the price of petrol pushes it to the level of ridiculous... there is talk of it maybe going to $2/litre which just makes me glad I own a very small car :)

Redneck: per head of population the US is the most energy hungry and poluting of any nation on Earth... China has 4 times to population you;d expect mor gross consumption but as per head thing the US gets the polluter of the century award.
  10. Saccharissa Stitcher

Let's just say I'm considering getting a horse...
  11. fairyliquid New Member

Horses aren't much better...you have to pay for stables, food, vets, riding gear...not to mention time training and looking after it :!:
  12. Hsing Moderator

I have to research how much a galleon is, but over her, currently, it's 1,52 Euro per litre.

Okay, that's:
    1, 52 Euros, or 1, 87 $, or 1,03 GBP, for 0, 26 galleons.
  13. Faerie New Member

Here in Michigan it's $2.59-$2.99 but for Labor Day weekend it jumped to over $3. We did a problem in physics where we had to find out how much the average commuting student would pay for gas during the semester, it was alot of money.
  14. Trollmother New Member

We pay about 4$ for a gallon.
  15. Hsing Moderator

Compared with our 7$... that is still moderate.
  16. Hermia New Member

I've got something even better - a pair of feet! I can walk anywhere I need to go, as I live in a town. Ok, admittedly I'd get a bit hungry if the shops couldn't get deliveries, but I do get fruit and veg from the garden, so I wouldn't totally starve! And there's a website online somewhere about how to make candles, so basically I think I'd survive if there was no more oil whatsoever!
  17. Saccharissa Stitcher

In Athens I either walk or I use public transportation.

Sadly, up here at the village, there is no public transportation, I have to go to the village where the health centre is on the days when I am on call and sleep over there.

I cannot walk 50km on foot with a suitcase in tow. :(
  18. spiky Bar Wench

Have you ever tried? You might surprise yourself at the ease with which your feet can cover 50km while building strong shoulders carrying a suitcase :lol:

I miss public transport :( In Sydney I didn't even own a car and took the train or bus everywhere....now I'm in Canberra which was built to sell more cars I swear, It has only about 300,000-350,000 people yet they built it 90km from North to South and 30km East to West...And they only have buses which don't serve some of the outer areas and even getting around town is a hassle as the routes take you on a wild goose chase, where a 5-10 mintue trips turns into over half an hour :evil:
  19. Ivan_the_terrible New Member

Metro rocks. :)

And guys in the US - we have almost the same prices here, and in comparison with our salaries... So your petrol is pretty cheap, at least is was and will be the cheapest in the world.
  20. Pepster New Member

Would she get there while she was still on call? or is that the plan ;)
  21. spiky Bar Wench

Sure. I have faith in Sacch's walking ability :p