Quiz

Discussion in 'BOARDANIA' started by Perdita, Aug 15, 2007.

1. Perdita New Member

Hello folks - I need your advice on something - I'm trying to organise a 'fun' quiz for a work conference i'm going to in a few weeks. The people taking part will be of all ages and probably general knowledge capabilities.

It'll just be 5/6 rounds as a sort of an ice breaker-below is an example of a round I've put together.

I know most you you folks are V. intelligent but do you think it's too easy?

I've been to a few web-sites to filched some questions but if anyone has any suggestions or put together a quiz/answers I would be grateful...Also does anyone know where I could find Dingbats?
    eg

Pepppermint = 3 piece suite (3 p's sweet)

A quick look at Google seems to only bring back dingbat fonts.

1.What's the more exotic name of the 'Northern Lights' visible under certain conditions in the Northern Hemisphere night sky?

2.Where in the body are the olfactory nerves?

3.In which country is the carved (that's carved, not caved) city of Petra?

4.How many contestants' boxes feature in the (UK version) TV show Deal of No Deal?

5.Southern Rhodesia became what country in 1980?

6.The song Oh What a Beautiful Morning comes from which musical?

7.Elizabeth Bennet is the heroine of which Jane Austen novel?

8.What is rap artist Eminem's original name?

9.What is the fruit in Tarte Tatin?

10.What film featured the ukulele-playing singer 'Sugar' Kane?

11.What does a circle with a cross through it mean on a clothing label?
  2. Mithras-Kosmokrator New Member

Looks fine to me.
  3. Maljonic Administrator

They look all right to me, do you need more?
  4. Katcal I Aten't French !

Same here, they look ok, some are hard, some less so, at least, for me, and the ones I find hard others will probably find easy, so I guess they're a good cross-section...
  5. spiky Bar Wench

Perdita I put together a quiz a few years back. some of the questions are a bit Australian but you can use what ever you like...

Trivia Questions

Segment One – Entertainment (1 point each)
    1. What do Mimi MacPherson, Gina Boon, Pamela Anderson and Paris Hilton have in common?

They have all starred in X-rated home videos that somehow reached the public domain.

2. Fran Drescher is best known for her starring role in the appalling US sit-com, The Nanny. In which well known 1977 film did she play a minor role?

Saturday Night Fever.

3. In relation to Dr Who’s preferred mode of transport, what do the letters T-A-R-D-I-S stand for?

Time and relative dimensions in space.

4. In TV’s ‘The Young Ones’ the lads were travelled to Oxford to appear on University Challenge. Why was their train delayed?

The train was held up by a Mexican bandit.

5. Which 19th Century French author shares his surname with a Chelsea soccer star of recent years?

Emile Zola (Gianfranco Zola)

6. Which prominent radio demagogue was arrested in a London public toilet for allegedly soliciting an undercover policeman to indulge in illegal sexual activity?

Alan Jones.

7. Who was the first member of the Beatles to pass away?

Stu Sutcliffe.

8. Who sang the early 70’s hit ‘The Year of the Cat’?

Al Stewart.

9. On which TV sitcom from the 60s did Bob Denver play the lead role?

Gilligan’s Island

10. Who’s controversial bra fetched over $US10,000 in a 2001 auction of pop memorabilia?

Madonna’s
    Segment Two – History and Art (1 point each)

1. Born in Kiev in 1888 and dieing in 1936, which obscure Russian artist painted ‘Study in Blue’ and ‘My Frozen Toes’?

Andre Crapskin

2. According to the Old Testament, with what weapon David kill Goliath?

Answer: He used Goliath’s own sword to decapitate him (after stabbing him). The rock / sling thingy only knocked Goliath out.

3. According to some Medieval Interpretations of the Bible, who was Lilith?

Adam’s first wife (pre-Eve)

4. Who in history would have worn a gorget, a tasse and a gauntlet?

Knights

5. Which Dutch artist painted “The Night Watch” in 1642?

Rembrandt

6. Who was the King of England during WWII?

George VI

7. The recently stolen painting by Edvard Munch, is called?

The Scream

8.Who played the artist Frida Kahlo, who painted Diego and I, in a recent Hollywood movie?

Salma Hayek

9.In his last will and testament, what did Hitler say he liked most about Eva Braun?

Her lack of intellect

10.Which famous pop culture artist wanted to meet Duran Duran after seeing their music video “Girls on Film”? He writes in his diary how it was hard to believe they were straight…

Andy Warhol

Segment Three – Music (1 point each)

Match music to TV show or movie… (all of these are available on the internet)

1.Which British sitcom is this theme from?

‘Allo ‘Allo

2.Which long running American series does this them come from?

Baywatch

3.Who’s murder trial is this the theme music for?

OJ Simpson

4.Which Australian kids show is this the theme to?

Blinky Bill

5.From which day time soap is this the theme song?

Young and the Restless

6.Who sings the theme song to this Bond film?

Tina Turner

7.From which movie is this the theme song?

Pulp Fiction

8.What is the name of the street that the show with this theme song is based?

Ramsey St

9.What is the name of this long running BBC TV show?

Dr. Who

10.Who wrote the book was then created into a movie with this music?

Orson Welles

Segment Four – Where am I…? ( Bonus 2 points)

• I am a small European principality, of just 160 km2 and a population of 33,500 people.
    • I am a hereditary constitutional monarchy, established in 1719.
    • One of my largest exports is false teeth.
    • I have 18.5 km of railways and no airports.
    • I have no military of my own, instead relying on the protection of my neighbour.
    • I have sophisticated off-shore banking systems, which means I am often used for money laundering.
    • My capital is Vaduz.
    • My neighbours include Austria and Switzerland.
    • My name starts with an L
    I am Liechtenstein

Segment Five – Sport / Business (1 point each)

1. In the 2002 Super 12 series, which rather stupid NSW forward kicked a drop goal in the dieing minutes of the final preliminary round, effectively denying his own team any chance of making the finals?

Matt Dunning.

2. Who was the first person of acknowledged Aboriginal descent to play Test cricket for Australia.

Jason Gillespie (will accept Graeme Thomas).

3. What is the name of Rampaging Roy Slaven’s former racehorse?

Rooting King

4. Which English Soccer Club have never been relegated from the top division?

A: Arsenal FC

5. Players from which AFL team had their pre-season disrupted in 1993 after burning the soles of their feet after deliberately walking across hot coals in a team-bonding exercise?

Adelaide Crows

6. What is Australia’s current unemployment rate?

5.7%

7. How did the NAB lose A$360 million?

Currency trading

8. What did Coca Cola introduce in 1985 that was a massive failure, which then had to be withdrawn and another product reintroduced?

New Coke

9. Which company was the largest contributor to George W. Bush’s campaign in the last election?

Enron

10. What is a ‘Giffen Good’?

A good for which an increase in price causes an increase in demand.

Segment six – Physical Challenge (bonus 3 points)

Donuts or saos??

Segment Seven – Flags and Anthems (1 point each)

Instead of guessing musicians. I gave them a sheet of flags then played national anthems (which you can download off the internet). people had to match the anthem to the flag. i didn't tell them the country name either for that extra level of difficulty. The countries I used are below.

USA Canada

France Germany

Greece Finland

Jamaica Tonga

UK PNG

Segment Eight – University Life (1 point each)

As this was a work thing we did questions about work, the people and the univeristy.

Segment Nine – Fun stuff (1 point each)

1. Michael E. Porter is best known as an expert on corporate strategy. Which Robert Altman film of the 1990’s shares part of his name?

Pret a Porter

2. What is the maximum number of times that a human can fold a piece of photocopy paper in half (assuming there is no mechanical assistance).

3. What is the closest living relative of the elephant?

Hyrax

4. Name one word in the English language which has 3 consecutive double letters.

Bookkeeper / Bookkeeping.

5. In an episode of South Park, the driver of the town’s Book Mobile is arrested by Officer Barbrady? Why was he arrested?

He was having sex with chickens

6. What is the meaning of the word ‘triskaidekaphobia’?

A: Fear or superstition of the number 13.

7. The Main Library at Indiana University sinks over an inch every year because when it was built, why?

Engineers failed to take into account the weight of all the books that would occupy the building

8.35% of people who place personal ads are what?
    Married

9.What is the only mammal that can’t jump?

Elephant

10.Which political leader is quoted as saying: “I think war is a dangerous place”?

George W. Bush

Segment ten – Physical Challenge (bonus 5 points)

Donuts or saos or other??
  6. Perdita New Member

Any help is greatly appreciated !

Spiky - thanks for posting your quiz here. The flag idea is a good one that I've seen at quiz nights before. It could be an easy round to organise- A picture of the flag and then just name that country!!
  7. spiky Bar Wench

Ahh but the twist is that they have to name the country by matching the flag to the anthem. It takes it from being merely fiendishly difficult to being archdemonically difficult.