Ray Bradbury

Discussion in 'NON PRATCHETT BOOK DISCUSSIONS' started by redneck, Jun 27, 2007.

1. redneck New Member

I've been reading a lot of stuff by Bradbury recently. His thoughts about censorship are very interesting. Many of his stories deal with what happens to people after censorship has taken hold of the ideas of civilization.

Does anyone else here read Bradbury? If you don't, you should give it a try. He's been decreed as the best American short story writer for the past century.
  2. mowgli New Member

Love, love, loooooooooooooooooooooooove Ray Bradbury!!! "491 Farenheit" was the first sci-fi book I've ever read (in Russian, since this was back in the old country), and it has haunted me ever since. Likewise love the Martian Chronicles!

Somewhere out there floats a collection of his non-sci-fi short stories, which I've read years ago and now want to read again! Thanks for giving me another idea for the wish list! Yay!

Also, this is a rather morbid question, but is he still alive? And if he is, I wonder what he thinks of government/society censorship periodically coming back into fashion.
  3. mowgli New Member

Found the non-sci-fi story collection... It's called "The Toynbee Convector" and it's apparently comprised of RB's earlier works. Get it, folks, it's full of unexpected pleasures :)!
  4. redneck New Member

I have several of his books. Some of my favorites: Bradbury stories (an 888 page collection of his stories); A Sound of Thunder (another of his collections); Fahrenheit 451; Something Wicked This Way Comes; and One More for the Road.

As far as I know he is still alive. There is an interview included in the 50th anniversary edition of Fahrenheit 451. It's very interesting. NPR has had some interviews with him in the last couple of years and he still holds true to his beliefs.

I've not come across the collection you mentioned.
  5. Katcal I Aten't French !

I know I read the martian chronicles and enjoyed them, although I don't remember anything about the story...
  6. Ba Lord of the Pies

Ba met him a while back while he was signing books in Palm Springs. Ba purchased Fahrenheit 451 and the Bradbury Chronicles (a biography by Sam Weller) from him. He was a nice old man.
  7. Buzzfloyd Spelling Bee

I started Fahrenheit 451 twice, but never finished it. I keep meaning too, because I think it's one of those books that transcends genre to be a classic in its own right.