Scotland

Discussion in 'BOARDANIA' started by Electric_Man, Sep 19, 2005.

1. Electric_Man Templar

Some of you may remember that scotland won the world Elephant Polo championships last year, and they did so this year too. So it will come of no surprise to you that Scotland is officially the most violent country on earth! Thats by percentage of violent crimes per person.

Can't crow too much, England & Wales were second. For those peace lovers among you, Japan was least violent, followed by Italy.

So this begs the question, what is it about Elephant Polo success that causes it's inhabitants to be so violent? I know it is obviously Doors' fault, but are there any specific reasons why it is Doors' fault?
  2. chrisjordan New Member

It's his Fred avatar. Can't be trusted.
  3. mowgli New Member

...speechless...

more violent than Russia????

more violent than Rwanda????

more violent than Afghanistan???

:: puts down the cosh in complete astonishment?::
  4. spiky Bar Wench

I blame the weather.
  5. Saccharissa Stitcher

What is the Elephant Polo Championship?
  6. Electric_Man Templar

You know Polo? The one played on horses, using mallets to hit a ball towards a goal. It's popular among the Upper Classes.

Think of that, but replace the horses with Elephants.
  7. fairyliquid New Member

I blame sports in general...not only can we only claim world champion elephant polo players, we are notorious for bad golf, football(soccer if your that annoying), rugby, and the list goes on (and includes most sports, with the exception of elephant polo it would seem)

Same with england...it's all sports. People fighting over their football teams, the ashes and anyone that comes up with a sport likeextreme ironing...well...

edit to add...germany beats them in extreme ironing anyway
  8. Buzzfloyd Spelling Bee

Sport is stylised warfare without the fatal consequences. (Therefore, D&D players and other gamers are theoretical sportsmen and women - no wonder I'm so bad at combat!) Finally learning to be good at a sport (as opposed to a game - Scots are the dog's bollocks at snooker) has reawakened the warlike spirit in the Scots, and they are all practising on each other in preparation for invading England. The head injuries induced have caused them to miss the flaw in their plan.

This is Doors' fault because he allowed Fred to take the job as mascot which so inspired the Scottish elephant polo team that they won the tournament twice in a row. Without Fred, this would never have happened. Therefore, I also blame Stween. But mostly Doors.
  9. Bradthewonderllama New Member

We peace loving Americans have always known you Europeans to be bloodthirsty creatures! Now praise the Lord, and pass the ammunition!
  10. sleepy_sarge New Member

The Scots are not violent at all* - we just sound that way

*(apart from the citizens of G......<clank>

Ok then who threw that claymore??
  11. Roman_K New Member

Same here, Bubba! Us Russians (former Russian I be, but still...) are a peaceful and literate folk, which is why we can hold lengthy and interesting conversations using only variants of the word 'prick'. Usually while standing over someone's corpse.
  12. Delphine New Member

Too right, Grace, the Scots kick serious arse at snooker.

I'm quite surprised that it is the most violent country in the world, though. Actually, I can't really believe it. Glasgow and Edinburgh must be mostly responsible for the high levels of violence... but out of the whole world?

Wee Scotland? :?
  13. Maljonic Administrator

Seems hard to believe; I'd feel a lot safer in Scotland than a lot of places on Earth, doesn't get a very high ranking on this highest percentage of murders list: http://www.nationmaster.com/graph-T/cri_mur_cap ,I'd choose to walk through Edinburgh over Bogota any day of the week if I wanted to come out the other end without being attacked. :)
  14. Electric_Man Templar

The thing is, it is Violent Crimes per person. So I can presume the following:

A crime is only included in a statistic if reported to the police, I'm guessing that doesn't happen as often in Bogota. Also, their definition of a violent crime might be different, and/or that a lot of the violent crime in Glasgow is of the variety: "Punchup in a pub".
  15. Maljonic Administrator

Yeah I was thinking that, there's pobably a lot of drink related punch ups and stuff in Scotland, and the rest of the UK. Pretty scary to think about Bogota though, bet there's tonnes of stuff that doesn't get reported there, or never sees the light of day once it has been reported. :)
  16. mowgli New Member

And a hearty amen to that!

:edited for quote-related goofiness
  17. Hsing Moderator

:D

Roman, I think I like your writing style!
  18. Buzzfloyd Spelling Bee

Also, statistics are unreliable in interpretation. Per person means that you could have a few people who are constantly involved in violent crime, while others never are; but those few bring up the average per person considerably.

Honestly, Doors, the Scottish tourist industry is suffering due to your violent nature! Why can't you learn to tame the beast within?!
  19. Roman_K New Member

Thankee, much appreciated. ;)
  20. Orrdos God

Well, as it happens, my friends girlfriend got jumped and assaulted last night.

We're sitting in the pub, he gets a phone call. Cue me driving over an hour to the hospital she was at.

She seems ok, just shaken up and quite badly bruised.

Fucking casualty is ridiculously slow though, I was there till 4am in the end.

The whole thing blows goats really.
  21. Roman_K New Member

Agreed.
  22. Buzzfloyd Spelling Bee

Sorry to hear it, Doors. :( I hope she regains her confidence quickly.
  23. Rincewind Number One Doorman

Last night some two girls where walking down the road behind me, some chav's drove by and tried to 'chat' them up, the girls didn't seem interested and the car drove on. I slowed my walk because I knew the chavs where driving to a dead end and would have to drive past the girls again. As the girls where coming to the bike path that I was walking on the chav got out of the car in front of them. I stopped walking so I'd be close enough to do something if anything happened but far enough away not to be in conflict (Go Hero/Coward Rinso!) anyway the guy was 'like I just want to chat to you... something some thing' they said 'No, we're sisters?' then He just pushed her in face and got back in the car and drove off! What a bastard!?
  24. Buzzfloyd Spelling Bee

Awww, go you, Rinso! I'd feel a lot safer if I thought there were blokes like you around, lurking on street corners in the dark... Wait a minute...
  25. spiky Bar Wench

Yay! stalker heroic RInso...saving the girls of the world one dark alley at a time...
  26. mowgli New Member

::applauds:: :)
  27. colonesque10 New Member

Way to go Rinso. Although I bet you cried yourself to sleep that night didn't you... ;)

Glasgow is one of the most violent places i've ever been in my life. I'd rather spend time in Mosside or even Toxteth before Glasgow. I think half the problem is we can't understand a word they are shouting at us, so they think were mocking them and therefore throw stools and tables at us.

PS: The Scots are even shit at snooker now ;)