Search Problem

Discussion in 'THE TEMPLE' started by Ba, Jul 3, 2006.

1. Ba Lord of the Pies

Ba wished to find a thread he'd started some time ago. He attempted to search for all of his posts. There were no results.

As Ba is reasonably certain that he [i:3f71b49fca]has[/i:3f71b49fca] posted on these boards at some point, this would seem to be a flaw in the system. He would like to point out that inferior beings like Doors and Ben are not subject to this problem. This strikes him as unfair. Now, he normally has no problem with unfair, but only when it's unfair [i:3f71b49fca]in his favor[/i:3f71b49fca].
  2. Maljonic Administrator

I'll look into it.
  3. Katcal I Aten't French !

Now Kat is not a superior being as is Ba, but she's pretty sure she saw a thread here that she can't find any more, be it by using the search engine or by looking in the apropriate places, have some threads disappeared or something ?

**slaps own hand** stop talking 3rd person singular, you mad person.

What do you mean mad person ? You're the one who's talking to herself...

Damn.
  4. Maljonic Administrator

No threads have disappeared.
  5. Electric_Man Templar

But if they've disappeared, then you wouldn't be able to see them. I can't see any disappeared threads! AHA!?
  6. Buzzfloyd Spelling Bee

I previously had problems searching for threads by Roman and Ben - this was to do with screen names, I think. Could there be a connection, Mal?
  7. Katcal I Aten't French !

Well I was sure there was a thread where we started to annotate Thud because L-space hadn't started doing theirs yet, and it got cut short because they finally did... maybe I was dreaming, but I have looked all over, including the dungeons (ugh, the spiders and cobwebs !) and I can't find it...
  8. Maljonic Administrator

[quote:ada5a5e0b2="Buzzfloyd"]I previously had problems searching for threads by Roman and Ben - this was to do with screen names, I think. Could there be a connection, Mal?[/quote:ada5a5e0b2]I'm pretty sure that is the case. I'll have to look into the code to fix it. If only people could have normal names like Maljonic, Buzzfloyd and Bradthewonderllama! :)
  9. Hsing Moderator

Sorry if I am carrying owls to Athens, but until it's fixed, we could use Google -> Advanced Search -> enter "www.terrypratchettbooks.org" in "domain" and then search whatever you search.
    It works with all message boards, often even digs up threads that have been hidden from view by the mods or deletet *coughcachecough*. Erm, just in case, I am not referring to [i:2e699b275a]this [/i:2e699b275a]board. It's one of the reasons that I like this place, that we don't use these sorts of cosmetics.
  10. Maljonic Administrator

It's not the search that isn't working, just the search for all Ba's posts - so it's not that big problem really, well not for most of us anyway, or maybe it is, is it? :)
  11. Maljonic Administrator

It appears that this is a phpbb (this type of message board) problem with short names, less than three letters, that they are working on at the moment.
  12. Katcal I Aten't French !

Ok, my problem is solved, the original post was on Going Postal, and Thud was suggested when the GP article came up on lspace wiki...
  13. Maljonic Administrator

The problem is they've restricted database searches to at least three letters or more, so stuff like: in, on, an etc aren't included in results - but they've neglected to disallow the registration of usernames with less than three letters, so we get this little problem whenever this happens.
  14. Electric_Man Templar

Strange, I tried searching for 'ben', 'tom' & 'lol' and got loads of results, search for 'the', 'etc', or 'any' and nothing appears. So some three letter words are excluded too.
  15. chrisjordan New Member

You just added this page to the lol results.

Lol.
  16. Maljonic Administrator

I just found out that two and one letter words don't show up in results because of the vulnerability to DOS (Denial of Service) attacks, where people write programs to deliberately search for 'if', 'an' and 'of' to tie up the database and make your host have to shut you down.

The only fix is to have a longer username unfortunately. Some people are pushing for short usernames to be disallowed on registration, so hopefull there might be a fix in that direction in the future.
  17. Ba Lord of the Pies

Discrimination!
  18. drunkymonkey New Member

How about changing the usernames of existing users? It's certainly possible. Just put suffixes on or something.
  19. chrisjordan New Member

Or prefixes.

UltraBa!
  20. Maljonic Administrator

21. chrisjordan New Member

Sure, if you want to be square. :roll:
  22. Maljonic Administrator

Okay, I'm going to go wild - how about.... wait for it... 'Ba!'.
  23. chrisjordan New Member

Hm...more likely to scare young children and the elderly.

Go for it.

Edit: old children?!
  24. Katcal I Aten't French !

25. Angua_rox New Member

Ba-baa black sheep. .

Lickle Ickle BaBa

Edit: balck sheep? okayyyyyy.
  26. Katcal I Aten't French !

**Ben mode on**

[b:6b5c7725fe]Ba Ba[/b:6b5c7725fe]
    [size=9:6b5c7725fe]So God they named him twice.[/size:6b5c7725fe]

**Ben mode off**
  27. Pixel New Member

[quote:ef988419f2="Katcal"]**Ben mode on**

[b:ef988419f2]Ba Ba[/b:ef988419f2]
    [size=9:ef988419f2]So God they named him twice.[/size:ef988419f2]

**Ben mode off**[/quote:ef988419f2]

Katcal - that is truly, truly evil - as all the best puns should be!
  28. Ba Lord of the Pies

[quote:d385bf99af="Angua_rox"]Ba-baa black sheep. .

Lickle Ickle BaBa

Edit: balck sheep? okayyyyyy.[/quote:d385bf99af]

*Removes Angua's intestines and replaces them with razor-wire*
  29. Angua_rox New Member

[quote:0739044ac1="Ba"][quote:0739044ac1="Angua_rox"]Ba-baa black sheep. .

Lickle Ickle BaBa

Edit: balck sheep? okayyyyyy.[/quote:0739044ac1]

*Removes Angua's intestines and replaces them with razor-wire*[/quote:0739044ac1]

#Clutches stomach and crawls around writhing on floor, gasping "so [i:0739044ac1]that's[/i:0739044ac1] why people are respectful to gods"#

Hey, I just got smited for the first time! Cool. I feel so at home here now!