Stories, The Moving Of

Discussion in 'BOARDANIA' started by Roman_K, Aug 21, 2005.

1. Roman_K New Member

Some of us have written short stories, fanfics, boardfics, etc. at the old boards, and I feel we should move our creations to this forum. What do you think, gang?
  2. Tephlon Active Member

Please note only the Authors themselves should do this. Do not copy other peoples works without permission. (Just to make that clear)

On a remotely related note:
    I noticed that Brorien has put her* story "The Road through Hell" on the stamps board. However, there may be some people here that are featured in that story. Butterfly and Five (Dane) spring to mind. I know it's her writing, but some people might not care to feature in the story any more.
    I do not mean to start off a flamewar, it's just an FYI.

*Brorien is a she, isn't she?
  3. Roman_K New Member

Indeed, thanks for adding that, Tephlon.
  4. Garner Great God and Founding Father

I agree that we should only move our own stuff.

As for Brorien (it's a he), if anyone has any objections to being featured in his story, I suggest they send him a PM on the stamps forum.

it's funny though, I thought they were too "nice" for him... he certainly felt the need to tell them all he wasn't sticking around.

Those poor stampers... ah well.
  5. Tephlon Active Member

Oops: Mr. Brorien.... :)

One more thing: I think we should so much move as copy the old thread. Leave the old story there for the newbies to discover.
    Because unless you feel that you've written very personal stuff that you don't want to keep there, don't forget that other people have commented on the story and in deleting the thread you will also delete those comments.
  6. drunkymonkey New Member

7. Garner Great God and Founding Father

woah! woah, big hold on there...

if we "move" stuff to here, we are talking about copying it. deleting stuff on the old site is still a no-no. that's still our history!
  8. Roman_K New Member

I agree with Garner. We are *not* deleting anything.
  9. TheJackal Member

How do I make a copy of an entire thread to bring to this site?
  10. Maljonic Administrator

The easiest way is the view printer friendly version then copy and paste.
  11. TheJackal Member

If I just copy an entire page from the old site & then paste it in a new topic, it looks really weird. The different comments made by users will be there but it's all one long post!
  12. Garner Great God and Founding Father

so edit them out?
  13. Marcia Executive Onion

Just so everyone is aware, there is a section on the website specifically for submitting stories. (The link is on the front page of the website.)

Rather than post a story on the forum, where the thread will be interrupted by reader comments, it is better to submit the story to the stories section mentioned above. There is an option for people to submit comments, but the comments will show up separately, so they don't interrupt the story. This will make the stories much easier to read.
  14. drunkymonkey New Member

I just submitted Simon the Evil Sorcerer, hopefully it will be up on the site.
  15. Mynona Member

I'm honestly not sure if I can be bothered to move my stories. Camrille's freaking huge by now (15 chapters, over 250 pages/220 000 words) The saga is smaller but still not easy to handle.

The submit writing is a great thing but I find it awkward and difficult to use.

I have a habit of posting the stories in 1000 word pieces (about what I write in one day) and several of those would make one chapter. That doesn't work with the 'submit writing' would it? It seems to me that the story have to be finished before posting or you're likely to have over a hundred parts of camrille lying around.

I haven't written anything recently for just that reason, I have no idea what to do with it, if I actually did get anything written. :(
  16. Electric_Man Templar

I was going to ask something similar... can you add chapters once you've posted it? And would it jump into the 'Recent Stories' list if you did add a story?
  17. Maljonic Administrator

A lot of the answers to the last couple of posts are in the thread the Buzzfloyd started on submitting writing: http://www.terrypratchettbooks.org/fortopic46.html

If you had a story that's really big you could have a section made just for you, so that you can keep submitting extra bits to the same place.

P.S. Yes it would jump to the latest stories on the front page.
  18. Electric_Man Templar

Gah, I meant when you add a chapter in my last post, not story.

*makes mental note: read posts before submitting*

I think Camrille might just sneak into the 'really big' category and would be worthy of a section to itself.
  19. Maljonic Administrator

I agree, the same would apply I think to stories that grow too big to keep track of, where chapters become lost amongst other stories. :)
  20. drunkymonkey New Member

thanks for adding Eggsic by the way.
  21. Orrdos God

I liked posting my stories to comments. It was great motivation to write more :)
  22. Mynona Member

You lost me again, Mal, but that might be because it's past midnight here.

Please explain in really small words that even I can understand. Preferably with visual aids and small furry animals. ;)
  23. Maljonic Administrator

So far the categories are: Boardania Tales and Legends; Discworld Fanfic and so on - if you have a really big story, we could add another category called: Mynona's Big Story (or whatever) then you could keep submitting new stuff to that and it would all be in the same place in the members writing or topics page. :)
  24. Mynona Member

Ah, that makes sense now. Thanks for explaning.
  25. Buzzfloyd Spelling Bee

2001 is getting a bit unwieldy, but is nothing close to the size of Camrille. I personally would find it a lot easier to give it it's own space, but I don't mind fiddling around to do it the hard way if that's not considered appropriate.

Doors, I'm not sure what you were trying to say, but you are aware that comments can still be made, right? They just don't spoil the flow of the story, because they don't show up in a place that interrupts it.
  26. drunkymonkey New Member

me too actually, it's annoying when no one comments.
  27. Maljonic Administrator

You could always start threads about stories too, linking to the new chapters as you add them - just like Tripod really. :)
  28. drunkymonkey New Member

yu wouldn't mind making a new section for Eggsic ould you, only I've wrote quite a lot. a bit more than a lot.
  29. Maljonic Administrator

Of course not, I've been meaning to ask; is the word in the title 'Bok' supposed to be 'Book' or is it meant to be that way?
  30. drunkymonkey New Member

Book lol, it was a terrible, terrible spelling mistake, as bad as King Herod saying to his guards 'to kiss all the babies' and them thinking he said 'kill all the babies'
    and by the way, thanks for putting it up.
  31. Maljonic Administrator

No worries, I'll correct the title. :)
  32. drunkymonkey New Member

33. Buzzfloyd Spelling Bee

I've been giving it some thought, and decided that, as a stupid person, I would like my own section for 2001. Would this be OK? If I can have my own section, I promise to update the story this week.
  34. Electric_Man Templar

If you update it this week and at least every fortnight from now on, then I think you should be allowed ;)
  35. Maljonic Administrator

Just need a title for your new section and an image that should be 50 x 50 pixels if possible, if not it can be altered if you send it to me or upload it to your gallery so I can copy it.

I can see this topic turning into a new section on writing, submitting writing and related instructions, requesting your own category, read my writing now and so on. :)
  36. Buzzfloyd Spelling Bee

Right you are! The title should be 2001: A Board Odyssey. I will find a picture.

And Ben, stranger things have happened!
  37. drunkymonkey New Member

38. Buzzfloyd Spelling Bee

I have uploaded an image to my photo album.
  39. Maljonic Administrator

Okay, it is done. :)
  40. Brorien New Member

Well, as I've been quietly lurking I have read a lot of things here and there that I don't agree with. Then again, I really don't have a voice here nor do I want one.

However, I was mentioned here so I will comment. Yes, I did continue writing my story on another board. Yes, I did say that I didn't plan to stay there. Yes, they are a bit too nice at times (I'm waiting for the knived to come out and the human sacrifice to begin). I do feel a bit insulted though. When I made the decision to move that story and start posting new bits to it I sent a PM to everyone who had been involved asking if they wanted me to stop using them. Not a single person came back and told me no. Sorry, but I don't much like the fact that you think so little of me to believe that I would continue to use someone without their permission. Especially since I didn't drag anyone into it in the first place without their persmission.

That said, I haven't closed the door on people who want to pull the plug on a character with their name. If someone wants out, it's a simple matter to tell me to stop.

Ok, enough said on that. Back to lurking.
  41. Buzzfloyd Spelling Bee

I personally think so little of you because of your utter failure to address any of the points I raised on the old board about your immature behaviour and apparent inability to apologise for words that you recognise as unacceptable.
  42. Garner Great God and Founding Father

And because of that, I suggest we ban Brorien because he IS a petty enough little thug that he might interfere with voting and the like.
  43. Mynona Member

If you do creat a section for me (either as "Mynona's Corner" or just for Camrille) I'll find a pic... somewhere. Not sure how to yet :?
  44. Perdita New Member

Not responding to your point directly I know Garner - But I have literally just spotted this thread - I haven't had much time to check the site out through stuff on in work etc :? Infact I only registered on Sunday!

Broiren (Sp?) did PM me and ask if he could use my name and I didn't really (and still don't) have a problem with it. I enjoy his writing! If I had spotted this thread or even been on the boards earlier- I could have sorted this wee query out so I'm sorry for that!

My question is - Please understand that I'm not very technically minded- How could Brioren muck up the voting- If you can veto his presence here by tracking his IP address surely you would be able to know if he (or anyone else for that matter) was messing around? :?:

I believe that he only posted to explain about the story to tell you the truth and I presume that he wasn't here for the sole purpose of antagonising people- that's how I personally read his post.

I suggest, like Buzzfloyd, that he explains/apologises here on the new boards and then take it from there but I don't think that he'll be back!
  45. Tephlon Active Member

I wasn't aware that Brorien had PM'ed everyone who was (namewise) involved in the story.

I just saw him disappear and the story pop up on the other board.

As some people involved in the story were here, I wanted to make sure they knew.
  46. Perdita New Member

Tephlon- Don't worry- you had no way of knowing- I totally believe in the circumstances you did the right thing by posting your concerns. :)
  47. TheJackal Member

Could I have a section to myself for member's writing? The Chosen One has over thirty Parts to it, so it'd clog up the None Discworld Literature section if I put them all in there
  48. TheJackal Member

How?
  49. Buzzfloyd Spelling Bee

Go to the printer friendly view. Copy and paste into a Word document. Delete the unwanted bits.
  50. TheJackal Member

But there's no printer friendly option on the old board, where I would be taking the original comments from to post here
  51. Rincewind Number One Doorman

maybe, though i'm not sure, copy and past the whole lot from the other board even peoples comments post it here, then do the jiggy with the printer friendly verision.
  52. Maljonic Administrator

Yes there is. :)
  53. Buzzfloyd Spelling Bee

Who posted the comment in Chapter 3 of 2001? It's come up as Anonymous, and I'm not sure what to make of the tone. It reads quite differently depending upon whether it's from a friend or a troll.

Edit: correct capitalisation.
  54. sleepy_sarge New Member

Actually I'm quite perturbed that anonymous people can comment - does this mean they can also vote? May be worth checking with Mal ??
  55. Buzzfloyd Spelling Bee

Turns out it was Roisin. Thanks, Roisin! :) I wonder if we can change it so it does show our names - it would save unnecessary confusion.