Thanksgiving

Discussion in 'BOARDANIA' started by redneck, Nov 24, 2006.

1. redneck New Member

Here in the US, we are going through the holiday of Thanksgiving. Like most holidays it's a time to reflect and give thanks for the blessings we have. I heard on the radio today about a military company that made it home to Colorado just in time for Thanksgiving. The commentator was talking about the joyous reunion. Sons, brothers, fathers, sisters, wives, and lovers were coming home safe after being in Iraq.

The commentator told of fathers hoisting their children on their shoulders. Loved ones embracing and crying for joy. My heart went out to them. They told of the three snipers from the company that were killed in an ambush just a matter of days before being sent back home. This Thanksgiving will be a hard one for their families and friends. But this is not what I was wanting to address. Everyone here is thinking of them and sending them prayers and good thoughts.

While listening to this bit of glorious news I began to think of the sadder aspect. The lonely ones of the company. The ones that don't have family and friends to fawn over them on their return. It may be because I've always been a little of an outcast and the fifth wheel that they come to mind. Some people join the military because they have no ties holding them back and it provides a comradery that they didn't have before. The people that don't have family and don't have friends outside of the military. These people are the ones that bring tears to my eyes when I think of them.

Imagine being in a terminal when everyone around you, all of your friends and companions, have people swarming over them. You look at them and are happy for them. At the same moment you are made even more aware of your own loneliness. These are the ones that are most affected by the holidays. They are the ones that feel the bitterness of it more than most.

I have a very high regard for military people. I tried to join myself, but was told that I coudn't. Thanks for people like Brad that give up their personal freedom and safety to ensure the safety for the rest of their country. Please do not turn this thread into a miliatry debate. Keep this one for praise, admiration, and thanks for people like Brad and Kevin that give their time and lives to keep us safe and heal our wounded.

A week rarely goes by when I don't think of Tempus. Words can't express my feelings about him and people like him. Traveling over the world, often seeing the most horrible side of people.

With the Christmas holidays quickly approaching I feel for the ones that have lost loved ones. I feel for the ones that don't have loved ones to share the holidays with. I joy with those that do. I joy with those of us that have so much to be thankful for.

These are just some thoughts that I've had on my mind lately. My apologies for the length and ramblings of it. My hope is that everyone will enjoy their holidays.
  2. Bradthewonderllama New Member

Don't feel sad, Nate. Let me relay to you what my drill SGT said to me during my Pre-Basic training (PA Guard go through a 1 week acclimation camp)

We were filling out forms

DS: "Okay, now fill out your next of kin"
    Me (raising hand): "I don't have any next of kin, Drill SGT."
    DS: "What the Hell do you mean that you don't have any next of kin?"
    Me: "I have an aunt and an uncle somewhere, but I have no idea where Drill SGT."
    DS: "You don't have any family?"
    Me: "No, Drill SGT."
    DS: "Well you do now."

It's more than a sense of comaraderie, we'll squabble and fight, but still end up sticking together. Now, I'm not saying that it's perfect, but there is a support network. And people like you, who care, are a blessing even on top of that.

Thanks, Nate. And thank you to everyone who has supported me while I was away (it was many of you here).
  3. Garner Great God and Founding Father

We were *all* hoping you came back without getting your ass shot off, yanqui. Some of us may not have been overjoyed at your decision to enlist, but once you'd made that decision we were all supportin you as best we could.
  4. Buzzfloyd Spelling Bee

Right.

And people who think war should be avoided at all costs don't necessarily disapprove of the military. Various armed forces are doing a fantastic job all around the world - and not just in war zones. I was reading the other day about the new climbing frame for the gorillas at Port Lymne zoo (or was it Howletts?), which was built by Ghurkas. Apparently, they do a lot of building work among their other duties.

I give thanks for the people who work for democracy and peace all around the world, including those who step in to act when talking fails. And I give thanks for family and friendship, and for the unlikely connections that turn strangers into friends - like our motley bunch here. :)
  5. mowgli New Member

Thank you for your post, Nate :)
  6. Saccharissa Stitcher

Don't be sad, Nate. I'm sure those without next of kin were probably scooped up by their fellows before they boarded the aeroplanes and there was a plateful of turkey awaiting for them.

Brad, family is not just a matters of blood ties, it's about people we love. You have Inna, your godmother, your friends and colleagues...there are people caught up in family feuds and squabbles that would sell their organs to be in the receiving end the kind of love and support you enjoy. Plus, you are young, you can make your own family and I'm calling dibs on godmotherhood on the fourth kid.