The end of the book signing tour?

Discussion in 'BOARDANIA' started by Maljonic, Feb 19, 2006.

1. Maljonic Administrator

2. Hsing Moderator

Hm.
    You can actually listen to singers from all over the world, and often in higher quality than a life concert would offer, and as often as you want, from CD. Still, even the small sort of concert, where the singer actually sings into the microphone and doesn't move her lips to playback, is still frequently happening. Even though many rightfully say the actual [i:158deb5341]music [/i:158deb5341]happening on stage died out, because musicians play to an audience that paid a lot for listening to songs they already know, instead of paying only a few bucks to a band they've never heard of and let it be a surprise to them.

People want to see other people. The same applies to the stages, I guess; why go to a theater when, in the movie theater, you see the same story a lot closer up, with better looking people, and sitting in more comfortable seats? (Not to talk of the special effect.)

I guess [i:158deb5341]real [/i:158deb5341]people right in front of you still makes a difference.

I can't see it putting an end to signing tours. Maybe conventions will play a more important role, where people get a bunch of authors plus a lot of events plus the opportunity to spend a lot of money - instead to the classical "one author reading and signing at the bookshop- tour". Completely unrelated to M. Atwoods supposed invention. After having red some of her books, I can't see her seriously inventing and marketing a thing like that. It may either be a hoax of some sort, or have some intelectual twist... *shrugs*
  3. Maljonic Administrator

I wondered myself if it was some kind of hoax, sounds a bit like science fiction. Though sceince fiction often becomes reality.
  4. Hsing Moderator

I [i:f1199a48ee]could [/i:f1199a48ee]imagine such a thing existing.
    I just can't see Atwood promoting it...
  5. Maljonic Administrator

No I guess not, but someone is bound to think it's a good idea. Still I guess the type of author that would want to use something like that isn't likely to be someone I'd be interested in meeting anyway - perhaps some Hollywood star for instance who's written, 'My Fabulous Life! - a Tale of Misery, Prozac and Betrayal'.
  6. Hsing Moderator

Yes, something like that! :D
  7. spiky Bar Wench

[quote:bad83150d7="Maljonic"]'My Fabulous Life! - a Tale of Misery, Prozac and Betrayal'.[/quote:bad83150d7]

Isn't this Doors' great masterpeice?

I think its dumb... isn't half the fun of getting a book signed to meet the author anyway?
  8. fairyliquid New Member

Part of a signing is seing an author face to face...watching them on the telly is no fun.

I wouldn't go to one for the simple reason that you don't get to meet the author...you get to meet a moving picture of them.

Anyway, part of the fun is knowing the author has had to go through hell and back for their readers in order to meet them and are willing to do so because they care about them. As nice an idea as it may be for an author, it doen't show much dedication on the part of the author.
  9. Pixel New Member

I'm obviously going to be on the the opposition on this one - given the recent situation of PTerry's health problem while on tour - would you rather have a personally physically signed copy of the last book that PTerry wrote because he had a heart attack and died during a signing tour - which he came close to recently - or would you rather have more PTerry books to read? If the device is rigged to a two way tv link, then I don't see that is any less than meeting him in person, if this will help to preserve his health!
  10. Hsing Moderator

A tool for someone who would otherwise not at all be able to accomplish the task at hand is a different matter. We're talking about a scenario where a large number of writers uses this tool, because it's cheaper and easier. Which I don't see happen.
    When someone is having heart problems, he should stay at home. Noone was talking about their favourite authors risking their lives for the sake of authenticity.
  11. spiky Bar Wench

We're a little slow down south but this just made it into the paper...

It sounds like its true after all... scary.