The wonderful world of mathematics

Discussion in 'BOARDANIA' started by KaptenKaries, Sep 21, 2006.

1. KaptenKaries New Member

2. Buzzfloyd Spelling Bee

I liked those. :)
  3. OmKranti Yogi Wench

I love how all the comments are a mix of lauging and debating mathamatics. :D
  4. mowgli New Member

Tee-hee!!! :)

(took me awhile to see the point... haven't yet decided whether to blame it on sleep deprivation or the fact that looking at formulae instantly debilitates my brain!)
  5. Bradthewonderllama New Member

*chuckles merrily*
  6. Delphine New Member

Lol, they're brilliant. They're all right though! Maybe not like, mathematically, but they're not [i:99ca9d16e7]wrong.[/i:99ca9d16e7] I mean, the X wasn't that well hidden anyway :)
  7. Maljonic Administrator

I'm not sure I get why the people making comments on that page think it's so funny, saying they are engineers and scientists etc so it makes them laugh, as if they're really intelligent - the jokes I mean. Unless I'm too stupid and there's an uber meaning I'm missing out on.
  8. Katcal I Aten't French !

Mal, I think it all started with someone mentioning that they are an engineer, and seemingly implying that it was [b:4c961814db]because [/b:4c961814db]they are an engineer that they could find it funny, and they all joined in saying "oh, yeah, good job I'm a genius rocket scientist or I wouldn't get these..." being sarcastic...

Now[b:4c961814db][i:4c961814db] I [/i:4c961814db][/b:4c961814db]couldn't possibly laugh at these, because they are exactly how my brain works when I have to deal with maths. Throughout my Computer Science degree, I had an average of 1.5/20 in Maths, it was one of the most important subjects. Good job it was good at all the rest, I still managed to acheive an over all average of 15.5/20 even with those crappy marks in maths... :cooler:
  9. fairyliquid New Member

I'm the same mal....

they are funny but the comments are the funniest...oh I'd have to have a degree in this to be able to do it :lol: that just made me laugh considering I'm in one of the lowest maths classes in my school and understood most of it.
  10. inwig New Member

Good one - These sort of things have been going on since mathematics was invented, and any engineer/scientist or teacher has been there at some stage.

I was sent a jpeg of one student's solution around 2003 that shows why they should of took up art not calculus. The final answer was hilariously creative, and I had much sympathy with it. I'll dig around my hard drive - I know I kept a copy but I don't know how to put it up here.
  11. Dane New Member

Those were great, I loved the find the X question, I had a similar question on an exam today, I wish I'd have seen this before the exam :D

I've seen a few like that first hand, one person when asked to show their working out drew a little pickture of himseld in the exam sat at the desk :) a friend of mine was in a test when a friend of his wrote that nemises was an arch-enemy of spiderman in the comic dureing a science exam.

I wrote a note to my RE examiner in GCSEs thanking them for takeing the time to mark my paper, but other than that I havn't done anything like that.
  12. Hsing Moderator

I too thought those answers weren't stupid, but creative. i mean, if you're going to drive the test against the next wall, you can at least get some fun out of the situation.

Thanks, for the link, I've spread it around in my family.
  13. Marcia Executive Onion

I didn't see much difference between these and the lists you sometimes see of ridiculous student writing on English compositions or history exams.
  14. Angua_rox New Member

These are great :D
    Remind me of a guy I know who decided to flunk his religion, and answered Questions hilariously, eg "What are two questions that human beings try to answer over the course of their life?" Ans"Why are we here and how do they get the figs in the fig rolls"
  15. TamyraMcG Active Member

My brother took his 11th grade IQ test in a rather unique way, he just filled in the little ovals in whatever patterns appealed to him. He later told me he didn't think the school had any business knowing how intelligient he was. The guidance councilor drove all the way out to our farm to talk to my folks about it. He told mom no one in the history of the school had ever scored lower on that test. They knew he hadn't lost his head and they really didn't have any way of forcing him to retake the test. It is on his [i:903322db82] permanent record[/i:903322db82].

This was a kid that cut a railroad car of pulp timber all by himself and sold it and had it transported it to the railstation in town when he was 14 because he was aware the railroad was abandoning the line going through our town and he wanted to be able to say that he had cut a car load of pulp. I can't say he is completely intelligient because I'm his big sister and he still drives me nuts sometimes after almost 42 years, but in some ways I think he's the smartest one of the family.
  16. Katcal I Aten't French !

Intelligence has nothing to do with IQ tests, it's a shame a lot of people don't realize this.

(I'm the living proof, I've always done well in IQ tests, and I'm as stoopid as you can get.)
  17. spiky Bar Wench

[quote:ed48fc5ff3="Katcal"]Intelligence has nothing to do with IQ tests, it's a shame a lot of people don't realize this.

(I'm the living proof, I've always done well in IQ tests, and I'm as stoopid as you can get.)[/quote:ed48fc5ff3]

*Looks at post*
    *Looks at avatar*
    *Looks at post*

No! I would never have picked it :lol:
  18. Katcal I Aten't French !

[quote:a4be7ec92d="spiky"][quote:a4be7ec92d="Katcal"]Intelligence has nothing to do with IQ tests, it's a shame a lot of people don't realize this.

(I'm the living proof, I've always done well in IQ tests, and I'm as stoopid as you can get.)[/quote:a4be7ec92d]

*Looks at post*
    *Looks at avatar*
    *Looks at post*

No! I would never have picked it :lol:[/quote:a4be7ec92d]

Told ya... stoopid.
  19. Hsing Moderator

Actually when reading that story I thought "Whoo-hoo!". I'm of Katcals opinion. I took one at the age of 15, and one of the tests was a kind of "Judge what is missing in this picture" - thing. There was a picture of a guy who had no eyebrows, which I mentioned. The tester turned the card around, looked at it and said slightly embarrassed: "Er, yes, its actually true, now that you say it... but that wasn't the point. He's not wearing a necktie with his suit, see?" I am probably not from a classical necktie family.

I still scored very well, but hold dear predjudices against the testability of intelligence. A lot of those tests are so designed for the well educated middle class child with at least one academic parent...
    Not that I can't see that intelligence has t be educated, so to say. But I mean - things like the necktie question...
    Or the vast amounts of foreign words that has been asked to test verbal skills...
    All those tested kids who wouldn't be able to tell what mimicry is might still write great poems in their free time, or raps, or have been raised with a second language. Well, the tests actually share the faults of any standarized test, and lots of them can still be a helpful tool. But people put far too much weight on IQ tests. They don't belong in any permanent record, especially not that of a child, if you ask me.

And you can train on those tests, too. Our psychology teacher's daughter always scored 150 for that reason, and she was legendarily dumb. I mean, really Laurenesque dumb.
  20. redneck New Member

My mom won't tell us our (my brother and sister) IQ scores. She said that she didn't want it interfering with our potential. Nor did she want it used as an excuse. She's really smart like that. I, for one, would have lorded it over my older brother that I was smarter than him if my test score had been higher than his. He would, of course, used that excuse to be the shit out of me, but he had to find another one. Any excuse would do for him, whether it was that I looked at him wrong, was breathing in his vicinity, but that I woke up/was born was his biggest complaint. We get on well now, but I still think I scored higher than him. So ha.
  21. Katcal I Aten't French !

My mum tells me time and time again of when I was really little, like 4 or 5, and the teacher held up a card with a drawing of a tulip on it. She asked me what it was, I thought about it and said "I don't know". The teacher looked at my mum, rather alarmed, then back to me and said "this is a FLO-WER". I later explained to my mum that of course I knew it was a flower, I just couldn't remember the name of the type of flower, I was searching for the word "tulip" and didn't know it... So it's really just a question of asking the right question to get the right answer... people's brains don't all work the same, it doesn't mean that different is less good.

And yes, you can totally train for IQ tests, if you do an IQ test several times in a row with explanations after each test as to why the answers were what they were, you get a higher result each time. That's part of the reason why they are stupid, they don't judge intelligence, just people's ability to fit a "standard" way of thinking.

(forgive my spelling, I'm stoned, KK said so...)
  22. inwig New Member

[quote:a23e88d57c="Katcal"]That's part of the reason why they are stupid, they don't judge intelligence, just people's ability to fit a "standard" way of thinking.)[/quote:a23e88d57c]And it's only non-standard people who can see that.
    They had a real problem with me at school - I kept asking university level questions. Teachers kept telling me that I didn't need to know that, I just had to learn what they were putting on the board. What they couldn't get to fit into the square 'teacher hole' that had developed between their ears was that to ask such a level of question I obviously already knew what they were telling me to learn.

Then again I was the only one they came back and retested in the national reading and vocabulary tests. I found out from the English head the national education board couldn't believe that at 17 I had a reading age of 25. How did they think I could cheat on a vocab test standing in front of a panel?
    And by the way I have nothing against the teaching profession, I just didn't enjoy the best experience having to educate myself despite the various African teaching systems.
  23. Buzzfloyd Spelling Bee

IQ tests are great for testing how good you are at IQ tests. That's all. I think everyone here knows that. There is no consensus on a definition of intelligence, and therefore no way of testing for it.

Just about everybody on this board was considered gifted in school, scored highly on IQ tests and could be said to be of above-average intelligence. We're still a very different bunch of people with very different talents.
  24. inwig New Member

Hooray for us.

Thanks for putting up a board where we can all find sanctuary from the drivel of the world, and welcoming the intelligent so warmly.
  25. Darkbane New Member

When I was a kid they gave me an IQ test at school. I scored fairly low on the performance portion of the test and fairly high on the verbal. They used those test results to try and convince my parents that I had some kind of learning disability and put me in special education classes.

I rather think the truth of the matter is that putting a puzzle test in front of a 7 year old is a good way to test their ability to do just enough to get you off their case.
  26. Maljonic Administrator

I think your last point, Darkbane, is probably very true for a lot of youngsters. I'm sure it applied to me.
  27. Marcia Executive Onion

[quote:4275966d10="Katcal"]My mum tells me time and time again of when I was really little, like 4 or 5, and the teacher held up a card with a drawing of a tulip on it. She asked me what it was, I thought about it and said "I don't know". The teacher looked at my mum, rather alarmed, then back to me and said "this is a FLO-WER". I later explained to my mum that of course I knew it was a flower, I just couldn't remember the name of the type of flower, I was searching for the word "tulip" and didn't know it)[/quote:4275966d10]

This isn't related to intelligence-testing, but I had sort of a similar experience:

When I was hospitalised for depression, after I was admitted to the emergency room, I had to walk through a whole bunch of different corridors and wings of the building, different floors, etc., before I got to a room where a doctor was going to assess my mental state.

The doctor said "Do you know where you are?" and I said "No." because I wasn't sure of the name of the hospital wing. Of course, he really just wanted to know if I was aware that I was in a hospital.
  28. fairyliquid New Member

A related incident occured with my brother...though people just thought it was increadibly sweet. As a child he was taken for a test where a woman asked him to draw a circle. WHich he did...only he preceeded to add two eyes, a nose and a mouth as well. The lady was in hysterics...Like I said...people just thought it was cute...

I agree though...most of these tests don't work...they can be used to certain extent but I think we can't rely only on them...
  29. Marcia Executive Onion

I'm a good test-taker.

However, at my job I had to learn about different learning styles, and I found out that I am a "reflector."

Basically, that is someone who takes in a whole bunch of information, goes off and analyses it for a while, then comes back with creative ways of looking at the situation and solving problems.

Despite the fact that I've taught myself to perform well on tests, a "reflector" would by definition tend to be a poor test-taker, since tests are meant to show that you can give the answer expected of you in as short a time as possible.