This and that

Discussion in 'BOARDANIA' started by Mynona, Dec 14, 2005.

1. Mynona Member

Anyone who's spoken to me the last two months knows about my bad knee. If you don't you've got blind ears.

Anyways, I was at the doctor's yesterday, after a lot of other stuff happened, and I got x-rayed today.

Now, my question to you is, why in the whole world does the x-ray technicians demand that you take your clothes of when it's so freakingly cold inside????
  2. Electric_Man Templar

Because you were wearing lead clothes?
  3. Maljonic Administrator

They ask you to take your clothes off? I don't remember that happening before...

... though it was only my foot, and I did take my shoe off. :)
  4. koshu New Member

another thing about x-rays is they say it dont hurt but then they go and hide behind a thick lead wall.. explain that to me

I only got experience doing animal x-rays from work, and there we duck behind a 15cm thick lead door.. :)
  5. Faerie New Member

You get a very fashionable lead apron when you get x-rays at the dentist.
  6. mowgli New Member

I got a lead thingie cover my chest/stomach when my foot was x-rayed... No clothes were removed, other than one sock!

Mynona, I'd SERIOUSLY question your x-ray tech's intentions! ;)
  7. Ba Lord of the Pies

[quote:0808728a3f="koshu"]another thing about x-rays is they say it dont hurt but then they go and hide behind a thick lead wall.. explain that to me

I only got experience doing animal x-rays from work, and there we duck behind a 15cm thick lead door.. :)[/quote:0808728a3f]

Because getting a single quick dose of radiation is not likely to harm someone. Getting it several times a day every day, on the other hand, will.
  8. Cynical_Youth New Member

[quote:ef0673a8b8="Mynona"]Anyone who's spoken to me the last two months knows about my bad knee. If you don't you've got blind ears.

Anyways, I was at the doctor's yesterday, after a lot of other stuff happened, and I got x-rayed today.

Now, my question to you is, why in the whole world does the x-ray technicians demand that you take your clothes of when it's so freakingly cold inside????[/quote:ef0673a8b8]

Probably because of metal thingies on your clothes that might interfere. Why that would extend beyond trousers I don't know.
  9. Maljonic Administrator

[quote:89122867c8="Ba"][quote:89122867c8="koshu"]another thing about x-rays is they say it dont hurt but then they go and hide behind a thick lead wall.. explain that to me

I only got experience doing animal x-rays from work, and there we duck behind a 15cm thick lead door.. :)[/quote:89122867c8]

Because getting a single quick dose of radiation is not likely to harm someone. Getting it several times a day every day, on the other hand, will.[/quote:89122867c8]To be honest I can't believe you didn't already know this if you're doing it as a job? :)
  10. koshu New Member

no, its not my job. I work at jo'burg zoo. and that day there was a sick vulture and we had to go into the hospital, and they kept telling us to hide behind doors. i normally only do there enclosures, but they thought it would be nice to let me watch. :)
  11. Mynona Member

[quote:d054af2179="Ba"]Because getting a single quick dose of radiation is not likely to harm someone. Getting it several times a day every day, on the other hand, will.[/quote:d054af2179]

Actually it will, but it's an acceptable 'risk' as they say. Every time you get x-rayed the chance for you developing cancer heightens but not by very much. I think the recomended max-dose is one set of x-rays a year. Anything more than that the chances of you developing cancer are so great that it isn't acceptible* anymore. Scary that.

*this has to do with 'cost-efficency' and 'health-efficency' to do. I apologise for not knowing the exact numbers.
  12. Pixel New Member

[quote:c42bb22314="Mynona"][quote:c42bb22314="Ba"]Because getting a single quick dose of radiation is not likely to harm someone. Getting it several times a day every day, on the other hand, will.[/quote:c42bb22314]

Actually it will, but it's an acceptable 'risk' as they say. Every time you get x-rayed the chance for you developing cancer heightens but not by very much. I think the recomended max-dose is one set of x-rays a year. Anything more than that the chances of you developing cancer are so great that it isn't acceptible* anymore. Scary that.

*this has to do with 'cost-efficency' and 'health-efficency' to do. I apologise for not knowing the exact numbers.[/quote:c42bb22314]
    Given the mention of lead aprons, this raises an interesting point - this is where we need our resident doctor - Avgi - is any X-ray risk only to the part which was actually X-rayed, or is any blood circulating through that part of the body at the time and/or anywhere that blood goes afterwards at risk? In my case, it may not be so important - when I broke my elbow about ten years ago due to a mix of seriously icy streets and too much alcohol the hospital X-rayed everything in sight (or should that be out of sight?) - I was unconscious when brought in - in Belgium they give you your X-rays when you are discharged - for a while I used the one of my head for the "Alas poor Yorick" gag at theatrical parties - but it meant that I know how many X-rays got taken on that occasion.
  13. koshu New Member

I dont trust any docters or any "were looking after your health people" :!: :!: :)
  14. Mynona Member

The whole body is affected, not because of the blood but because the x-rays 'spread' outside of the photoed area. lead aprons are a good thing but what really works is the small lead 'collars' because what needs protecting is the thyroid glands.
  15. Bradthewonderllama New Member

[quote:8387b7d90b="koshu"]I dont trust any docters or any "were looking after your health people" :!: :!: :)[/quote:8387b7d90b]

But we're only looking after your health!!
  16. Willmolly3 New Member

I also do not have much faith in the Health service. 5 months ago I lost my mother due to medical neglegence. Funny enough it was an x-ray and a scan that they did not inturpret correctly. She was wrongly diognosed. They said she had a bone spur in her vertebrae when actually had a tumor at the top of her lung.

I understand that not all Health representitives are this bad it just puts a bad name on them when someone who is getting paid 40k plus to make that sort of a mistake. It was literally life or death they could have done something much sooner.

I will concede that it turned out to be lung Cancer and that it would have been fatal anyhow but if they had caught it in the early stages when the scans were done then she could have had an extra 5-6 years instead of 3 months.

I wont go into any more detail than this otherwise I would be here all day just thought I would have a rant and get it of my chest.

AHHHHH that feels better.... I have trouble expressing myself and have found it extreemly hard in the last couple of months.

On a happyer note. Its FRIDAY!!!!!
  17. Ba Lord of the Pies

That's Ba's point. A single dose is unlikely to do any significant damage. It can, but it's not [i:aba74008d5]likely[/i:aba74008d5]. Continued doses increase the danger, since it's cumulative. Thus, Mynona will likely not develop cancer from getting x-rays. The poor x-ray technician, if not properly shielded, almost certainly would, since they would be receiving doses often enough to make the probability nigh certain.
  18. Bradthewonderllama New Member

And so the poor Xray tech compensates by having female patients disrobe?

And, Willmolly, I'm very sorry to hear this. I know how hard it is to lose your mother to cancer.
  19. Pepster New Member

The reason for removing your clothes is a matter of image resolution,

Typically medical x ray imaging works along one of two ways, [b:5b08475a6b]hard x-ray imaging[/b:5b08475a6b] which visualizes sample due to changes in absorption, elemental composition, or refractive index of the sample (usually used to view bones etc) and [b:5b08475a6b]diffration-enhanced imaging[/b:5b08475a6b] which in a nutshell relies on the different in the positions observed of a x ray beam thats reflected off a sample and is typically used to examine soft tissue (a picture could describe this one much better but I cannot be bothered).

As to why myn had to remove her cloths, consider a x ray image of a naked person (minds out of the gutter please), its already a pretty complicated picture showing lots of detail about their skeletal structure.

Now add clothes that would either absorb extra energy or defract the x ray beam at a different angle depending on how the image is taken. This leads to a fuzzy image that if you are looking for fine detail is useless.

Odds are the x ray technican is still a deviant who just wanted to perve at myn ;)

edit: added "how" and spelling of deviant.
  20. koshu New Member

Thats wat you say............................. :D
  21. Pepster New Member

[quote:60e800370d="Pixel"]Given the mention of lead aprons, this raises an interesting point - this is where we need our resident doctor - Avgi - is any X-ray risk only to the part which was actually X-rayed, or is any blood circulating through that part of the body at the time and/or anywhere that blood goes afterwards at risk? In my case, it may not be so important - when I broke my elbow about ten years ago due to a mix of seriously icy streets and too much alcohol the hospital X-rayed everything in sight (or should that be out of sight?) - I was unconscious when brought in - in Belgium they give you your X-rays when you are discharged - for a while I used the one of my head for the "Alas poor Yorick" gag at theatrical parties - but it meant that I know how many X-rays got taken on that occasion.[/quote:60e800370d]

I doubt there is a risk, basically your example would require the blood in the x rayed part of your body to start giving off x rays (or other radiation) themselves over a long period of time which doesn't happen when a x ray image is taken.

Edit: fixed quote.
  22. Pepster New Member

[quote:607fac0066="koshu"]Thats wat you say............................. :D[/quote:607fac0066]

deviant.

edit: spelling.
  23. koshu New Member

heheheheheheheheee............ ;)