This kitty certainly likes the music...

Discussion in 'BOARDANIA' started by Roman_K, Sep 10, 2006.

1. Roman_K New Member

2. Angua_rox New Member

3. TamyraMcG Active Member

4. spiky Bar Wench

:supz:

Like this kitty...
  5. KaptenKaries New Member

I've seen cats do this if they have something stuck on their head they want to get rid of, like bits of snow or dirt. Doesn't look like this kitty does. I wonder what spawned that behaviour.

Other weird cat behaviour:

My parents live with two cats. One of them is big, fat and lazy while the other one is small, cute and not the sharpest knife in the drawer. They've both gotten injuries* that required them to wear those plastic cones around their head, to stop them from licking their injuries and/or stitches.

The small and not so sharp one didn't really understand that the cone was attached to her collar. I watched the poor thing walk backwards through the house for a couple of hours before she realised she couldn't back out of this cone around her head.

Eventually she accepted the fact that she couldn't get rid of it and showed unusual signs of intelligence when she used the cone to trap flies against the floor, fly manically buzzing around inside the plastic cone, and then she'd just snap her mouth until she got a hold of the fly.

The other cat, the big, fat and lazy one, also have a very special relation to flies. This cat only makes three sounds. The standard meow, in any context imaginable, the standard purr (although impressively loud) when he's enjoying himself, and a weird sort of yapping sound, that he only makes when he's spotted a fly.

So this cat has three words in his vocabulary. One sound for pleasure, one for flies, and one for the rest. Why flies!

For the record, my parents don't live in a pigsty so it's not like there are a million flies buzzing around in their house that would make flies particularly important in these cats' life.

[size=10:11bc5d8853]* These injuries are usually from fighting with other cats in the area. I like to believe the big cat wins his fights, but I don't think the small one would be able to beat up another cat. Luckily the big one seem to defend his territory enough for the small one to be left alone most of the time.[/size:11bc5d8853]
  6. Katcal I Aten't French !

Ah, that's funny, we had a cat who was mad about flies, and he would quack at them, really in a duck-like way. He would chase them up to the windo and then jump really high to catch them and sometimes end up swinnging from the curtain if he got a claw stuck in the fabric, that was great fun.

My mum once had a cat that was addicted to cucumber. It could be down the other endo of the garden, but if you were in the kitchen with the window open and you started chopping cucumber, he would be there in a flash, begging for it ! Our fly-hunter was particularly addicted to crisps and biscuits, he could recognise the sound of a crisp or biscuit packet being opened on the other side of our flat (ok, it's not that big, but hey...) and another cat of mine once went on an avocado orgy. Unfortunately it was on the table that was being laid for christmas dinner :D My poor Dad had spent ages working out how to divide 5 avocados between 5 people. He's a mathematician. It worked out as something like half an avocado, plus 1/4, plus 2/8.
  7. KaptenKaries New Member

[quote:3b680a5720="Katcal"]Ah, that's funny, we had a cat who was mad about flies, and he would quack at them, really in a duck-like way.[/quote:3b680a5720]

Yeah, exactly, it's a quacking yap yap sort of sound, I didn't know other cats do the same fly call! I wonder if research has been conducted on this phenomenon.

[quote:3b680a5720="Katcal"]My poor Dad had spent ages working out how to divide 5 avocados between 5 people. He's a mathematician. It worked out as something like half an avocado, plus 1/4, plus 2/8.[/quote:3b680a5720]

Haha I've done the same thing once! Typical mathematician, your dad.

Edit: Wikipedia has this to say about cats' quack noise:

[quote:3b680a5720="Wikipedia article: Cat communication"]Cats are also known to make chirping or chattering noises when observing prey, or as a means of expressing interest in an object to nearby humans. When directed at out-of-reach prey, it is unknown whether this is a threatening sound, an expression of frustration, or an attempt to replicate a bird-call (or replicate the call of a bird's prey, for example a cicada). Whereas this conduct was originally viewed as the feline equivalent of song, recent animal behaviorists have come to believe this noise is a "rehearsal behavior" in which it anticipates or practices the killing of prey, because the sound usually accompanies a biting movement similar to the one they use to kill their prey (the "killing bite" which saws through the victim's neck vertebrae).[/quote:3b680a5720]
  8. Faerie New Member

My large 20lb chicken cat chases flys and bees. I call him chicken because he's afraid to be outside. He has not caught a bee yet but when he does he will learn not to chase them anymore. He also likes to watch the drawer on the DVD player go in and out and he drinks out of the toilet. He sits on the back of the couch or chair and puts his front paws on my shoulder and his whiskers in my face just following the spoon of cereal or ice cream back and forth.
  9. spiky Bar Wench

[quote:14ad6ce51e="Katcal"] My poor Dad had spent ages working out how to divide 5 avocados between 5 people. He's a mathematician. It worked out as something like half an avocado, plus 1/4, plus 2/8.[/quote:14ad6ce51e]

I wish to dispute the maths... Even I can see the flaw in this calculation.

My parents cat used to go on running frenzies around the house and always end up head butting the floor length windows, knock itself out stunned, then jump up and do the whole thing again. Stupid cat.
  10. Katcal I Aten't French !

Ah well Winnie used to do that too, our flat has lino everywhere, and he is a Norse Skogskatt (or something like that, a Norwegian forest cat basically, looks a bit like a maine coone) and therefore has fluffy paws. He would run around really fast, skidding when he tried to brake and hitting walls, doors, furniture... At night you could here the sound of "scractchyscratchyscratchyTHUD" as he had great fun releasing his extra energy. Funnily enough, since he moved tom y parents' place in the country, he doesn't do that anymore, he doesn't have any extra energy :D
  11. Ba Lord of the Pies

[quote:67badf656f="spiky"][quote:67badf656f="Katcal"] My poor Dad had spent ages working out how to divide 5 avocados between 5 people. He's a mathematician. It worked out as something like half an avocado, plus 1/4, plus 2/8.[/quote:67badf656f]

I wish to dispute the maths... Even I can see the flaw in this calculation.

My parents cat used to go on running frenzies around the house and always end up head butting the floor length windows, knock itself out stunned, then jump up and do the whole thing again. Stupid cat.[/quote:67badf656f]

No, that's actually a correct division. Half plus a quarter plus two eighths times five equals five avocados. It just goes a bit further than is strictly necessary.
  12. KaptenKaries New Member

[quote:c6dba7bfbb="Katcal"]Norse Skogskatt (or something like that, a Norwegian forest cat basically, looks a bit like a maine coone)[/quote:c6dba7bfbb]

I think the word you're looking for is Norsk Skogkatt, although I think it is as common to pronounce it skogSkatt, with an extra S in there.
  13. Katcal I Aten't French !

[quote:a935b60b02="KaptenKaries"][quote:a935b60b02="Katcal"]Norse Skogskatt (or something like that, a Norwegian forest cat basically, looks a bit like a maine coone)[/quote:a935b60b02]

I think the word you're looking for is Norsk Skogkatt, although I think it is as common to pronounce it skogSkatt, with an extra S in there.[/quote:a935b60b02]
    Bah, we always call him Furball.
  14. Ba Lord of the Pies

Fluffy likes musicians, but never paid much attention to their music. Mostly just to their terror and pain as they are played with.
  15. OmKranti Yogi Wench

[quote:5f6df811c0="Ba"]Fluffy likes musicians, but never paid much attention to their music. Mostly just to their terror and pain as they are played with.[/quote:5f6df811c0]

You have a cat named fluffy?

edit to laugh at Ba. *points and laughs*
  16. Ba Lord of the Pies

*Feeds Om to Fluffy*
  17. OmKranti Yogi Wench

Obviously I have no reponse to this. I've been trying to come up with a decent and witty retort for a few days now, with absolutely no luck.

So I'll just say: You fight like a cow. Nya!
  18. spiky Bar Wench

Witty enough. ALthough it does raise the question of how cows fight? I mean do they chew cud until you can take no more and you beat your own head in to make it stop or is there some secret cow ninja moves that they practice in secret so they have never been seen?
  19. Katcal I Aten't French !

Cows believe in passive warfare. Anyone who has ever walked/slipped/drowned in a cow-pat knows exactly what I mean.

Also, if you happen to be down on all fours, they will try to hump your back. Why cows (not bulls, cows) do this to other cows is still a mystery to me...
  20. redneck New Member

This is how cows fight back. It takes quite a bit to piss off a cow, but when they retaliate, they do so with fervor.

Cow pats are also good missiles. They do need to be dried first though. A wet one will not travel as far and loses trajectory very quickly. But, a wet one has better spread than a dry one and will cover more area. A dry one on the other hand, can knock a person out. If they're really dry the make good smoke bombs. Just loft them high into the air and when they hit they explode into a mist of dung particles that will cover your retreat or prevent the enemy from observing your attack.

Edited for the last bit.
  21. Katcal I Aten't French !

...chickens in choppers... :D
  22. Delphine New Member

[quote:7abb427d13="redneck"]Cow pats are also good missiles. They do need to be dried first though. A wet one will not travel as far and loses trajectory very quickly. But, a wet one has better spread than a dry one and will cover more area. A dry one on the other hand, can knock a person out. If they're really dry the make good smoke bombs. Just loft them high into the air and when they hit they explode into a mist of dung particles that will cover your retreat or prevent the enemy from observing your attack. [/quote:7abb427d13]

Redneck, this sounds very familiar. I've got a worrying feeling I've heard you talk about this exact thing before. Cow-pat warfare and all that.
  23. redneck New Member

Ummm..... No... it wasn't me. *points at Garner*

Edit: This is a little gross so if you get queezy easily, don't read this next bit. Sunday night my brother, dad, and myself were just sitting around chewing the fat. Somehow we got to talking about birthing calves (my dad grew up on a dairy farm). I had always heard the stories of tying ropes around the hooves of breached calves and pulling to try to save their and the cow's lives [if the calf stays in the track too long it will kill the calf and paralyze the cow]. He told us of another way if that doesn't work. He said that he's never seen this done, but he does know that it gets the job done. After all other options have failed, you get a hammer and chisel. You place the chisel directly above the vagina on the pelvice and give it a good hard blow, this breaks the pelvis and allows the calf to come out. As he was telling it I got a good mental image of it happening and it was not a pretty sight. Seeing a claf born is not a pretty sight even of its own accord, but this is even worse.
  24. OmKranti Yogi Wench

And now I'm sorry I mentioned cows. :(

However, that video was great. And yes, chickens in choppers was one of the best lines. :D
  25. Katcal I Aten't French !

[quote:496b398906="OmKranti"]And now I'm sorry I mentioned cows. :([/quote:496b398906]
    And now I'm sorry you mentioned cows too.

**desperately tries to think of chickens in choppers... or dissapearing cows... **

Hey, this will make you feel better about cows, Om !

Magical Trevor
  26. TamyraMcG Active Member

I can tell you you don't have to be down on all fours for a horny heifer to try to hump you, when they are in that state they will hump anything that moves. I was ever so glad we had a Jersey heifer when those hooves landed on my shoulders.

We had to help pull her first calf, he was almost half as big as her when he was first born and he looked suspiciously like a Holstein to me. I haven't heard of anyone having to chisel a calf out of a cow, but my dad once (under advice from a veterinarian) knocked a sow with a prolapsed uterus in the head with a hammer to try to salvage her litter of pigs. I remember feeling something wierd underfoot when I was picking some kind of wild fruit looking down and seeing her poor bones. I would have thought they could have taken it farther away from the farmyard.
  27. KaptenKaries New Member

[quote:4a2519756c="Katcal"]
    Hey, this will make you feel better about cows, Om !

Magical Trevor[/quote:4a2519756c]

I love the hypnotizing songs of Weebl.
  28. Bradthewonderllama New Member

I unfortunately have no dairy farm adventures :-(
  29. Katcal I Aten't French !

Awwww... not even any unsavoury llama facts ?
  30. Faerie New Member

My grandparents owned a farm with cows when I was little and I fell in the cow pen once. My mom says she's never seen my dad move so fast when he jumped in the cow pen to get me.

Not to long ago the cows escaped from the barn on a rainy day and my dad and his brothers chased them around the field on quads. Apparently my dad leaped from his quad to a cow to capture it but I wasn't there to witness this.