To be, or not to be ...

Discussion in 'BOARDANIA' started by Venerico, Sep 14, 2005.

1. Venerico New Member

I now that "Wyrd sisters" where made on base of Shakespeare.
    So tell me had you read any book of Shakespeare?
    Wich is your favourite book, and who is your favourite character?

I know that my favourite is "Midsummer night's dream"
    My favourite character is Titania.
  2. Maljonic Administrator

A Midsummer Night's Dream has also been adapted slightly to become a Discworld novel. :)

I'd say Hamlet is my favourite Shakespeare; though I do very much like A Midsummer Night's Dream, Much Ado About Nothing, A Winter's Tale, The Taming of the Shrew, Othello, Henry V, Richard III, The Merchant of Venice, The Tempest and Twelfth Night.

And probably any others that I happen across in the future. :)
  3. Buzzfloyd Spelling Bee

There are plenty of great Shakespeare plays that I have yet to see or read! The Merchant of Venice is definitely a favourite, as is The Tempest. Next, I'd like to read King Lear or Julius Caesar.

I do have a soft spot for Benedick and Beatrice too.
  4. ArthurDent New Member

Henry V is my favourite.
  5. Bob New Member

The Merchant of Venice, definately.
    Plus most of the others have been ruined by rubbish films :)

~B:wink:B~
  6. Marcia Executive Onion

I can't think of Hamlet without thinking of the Gilligan's Island musical.

edit: I found a websitewhich has the songs, since most of you are probably too young to know what I'm talking about.

edit2: Actually, when you play the songs, it just gives you the music (from Carmen) not the words. You have to read the lyrics (on the page). They're hilarious.

edit 3: RIP Gilligan (Bob Denver)
  7. QuothTheRaven New Member

MacBeth is my favorite.
    Also, shakespere wrote plays, not books.
  8. Maljonic Administrator

That reminds me, I like Anthony and Cleopatra too. :)
  9. redneck New Member

Grace, King Lear and Julius Caesar are very intersting. King Lear is pretty short. Kinda hard to keep the characters straight at times, but a great read. At least I liked it.

My family read, and acted out, Julius Caesar. My older brother, who just happened to hate anything family related, loved it. I think it was the violence, gore, and the fact that his character always got to wale on me without rebuke or retribution.
  10. mowgli New Member

I haven't yet met a Shakespeare play I didn't like, except maybe Henry VI, because it represents Joan of Arc as an evil, whorish, Devil-worshipping hag :p . Still, I hear that it's disputed whether Shakespeare was even the author...

Bob, have you seen the 60's version of a Romeo and Juliet movie? DEFINITELY not rubbish! Absolutely beautiful :)

And I think my absolute favorite one - so far, - is "The Merry Wives of Windsor". But I have yet to see it acted anywhere....
  11. QuothTheRaven New Member

Shakespere was ordered to write most of the history plays by James I. James dictated which characters would be portrayed in what light.
    Also, I saw a proformance of Henry VI that protrayed Joan in a positive Light.
  12. sampanna New Member

When I was studying for my Bachelor of Engineering degree, a friend of mine designed a t-shirt which said:
    "To B.E. or not to B.E., that is the question"

So its off-topic. :)
  13. Saccharissa Stitcher

My favorite is mcBeth, because it was the first opera I saw on TV and the story stayed with me.

Right up there are The Taming of the Shrew and The Tempest.
  14. Buzzfloyd Spelling Bee

A lot of modern productions will give a similar treatment to characters like Richard III, whose portrayal was used as propaganda.

I have a favourite version of The Merchant of Venice from the Royal National Theatre, starring Henry Goodman as Shylock, David Bamber as Antonio and Derbhle Crotty as Portia. It is an absolutely stunning production (the video doesn't do justice to the live version, which I was lucky enough to see at the National Theatre), which gives a very sympathetic treatment to Shylock and Jessica, his daughter. I was happy because I'd had a lot of arguments with my English Lit teacher over whether that was possible - I thought it was - and this version proved it. Most sympathetic Shylock ever! I highly recommend this version. David Bamber is also superb as Antonio.

Edit: it was directed by Trevor Nunn, and is available on Amazon.
  15. Venerico New Member

I know that Shakespere wrote plays, but they are today in a form of book, not like bunch of papers.
    So I wrote book, but you know what I meant.
  16. Hsing Moderator

This is one of those topics were I quickly drop out of the discussion. ;) Shakespeare in English is hard to digest for many non-native speakers; I was 22 when I felt actually capable of reading "A Midsummer Night's dream" in English (and di so with delight), and I red German translations of "Romeo and Juliet".
    Due to the fact that reading it in English is too much for most pupils, and in the German reading lessons, German originals are being preferred from translated works, Shakespeare is only briefly mentioned in school.
    There are a lot of awful translations -as often when rhymes and measure are involved- and a few beautifully done, like that of Erich Fried, which my better half brought into the marriage, and which I intend to revisit in the future.
  17. Tabatha New Member

Not a fan of plays myself, still get knightmares over drama classes at school :shock: . would'nt mind withering heights having the discworld treatment though
  18. Freya New Member

I have to agree with Mowgli there. We studied Romeo & Juliet at High School and at the end of the course, spent several lessons watching and discussing Zeffirelli's movie. I'm not surprised that the movie and it's cast won two oscars, a BAFTA, three Golden Globes, five Silver Ribbons, etc. in 1969. This movie cemented my love of Shakespeare.

If I have to pick a favourite? "The Taming of the Shrew" is the one for me and my favourite character would, naturally, be Katherine - "If I be waspish, best beware my sting."

EDIT: To add favourite character.
  19. Hsing Moderator

While I would love to see some of the plays on stage, I don't quite understand why even teachers of younger classes think it's such a good idea to bring them on stage with kids. I think it's a material that lives from really professional actors, if only because it has been done so often, and I have my doubts wether a grade of 13 year olds really can relate to it. There's better material for that age.
    We had a music teacher who brought it on stage with a bunch of eleven year olds (us eleven year olds), though she gave it a twist by giving us only the plotline and let us invent our own dialogues. It must have been hilarious. I played Tybalt, by the way. :roll:
  20. Maljonic Administrator

I suppose some of them can be a bit naff, but I think most film adaptations are actually pretty good, though I guess you're referring to Hollywood productions? If it's a good adaptation it can often be a better portrayal than simply reading it in a book; they can be quite hard to follow in books because they were written for these tiny stages with people crowded around, with the actors rapidly coming on and off the stage - in a film you can see what's going on.

I do prefer film versions that stick to the original context usually, but one of my favourite versions of Hamlet is the modern adaptation from 2000/01 with Ethan Hawk - I was expecting it to be rubbish, but came out from the cinema very pleased with the way they'd done it. One of the best things for me was having Hamlet making a video diary sort of thing with a little video camera; I thought it a very imaginative technique to portray his soliloquies in an acceptable modern way. :)

P.S. a lot of my friends at university were sick of watching Kenneth Branagh versions of Shakespeare tales; whatever role he plays, whether it be Benedick in Much Ado About Nothing or Henry V, he always seems to play Kenneth Branagh....
  21. fairyliquid New Member

I have only read Macbeth, but thoroughly enjoyed it...

I have seen Romeo and Juliet Performed athough it was a bit disapointing. Okay it was a mess but me and my friends had a good laugh.
  22. sleepy_sarge New Member

For me it doesn't matter the "era" I've seen Macbeth in combat jackets with armalites, the Tempest as shipwrecked businessmen. and so forth. The costumes and mannerisms affected by pieces played as "contemporary" with Shakespeare are every bit as unlikley. New treatments can add to the message.

What matters to me, wether it's Ken'n'Em or darling Johnny and dear dear Larry, or a bunch of kids from primary school is that the text is said as it is meant to be said. In verse (with a few notable exceptions). A good director can handle this with any cast.

Not that there is anything wrong with the same theme/characters with new words. Just don't call it Shakespeare.

Hollywood can do a wonderful Shakespeare - Watching the movie with James Cagney and Joe E Brown in "A Midsummer Night's Dream" was part of the curriculum when I was at uni.

Sarge (who has played the aforesaid businessman, terrorist in combat jacket, and - wait for it - ) a Ninja Montagu.
  23. Bob New Member

It's mostly his films I meant. It annoyed me that people actually let him make more films after the first couple of films starring him and his wife, and their best mates. Although there have been some adaptions with even worse acting than his.

I'll look out for the version of Hamlet you mentioned, it sounds interesting.
    also, I'll look for the 60's Romeo and Juliet :)

24. Delphine New Member

ooh, MacBeth and the Merchant of Venice.
  25. Toaf New Member

Midsummer Night's Dream all the way!
  26. OmKranti Yogi Wench

I just saw a Merchant of Venice movie done with Al Pecino (sp?) as Shylock and Jeremy Irons as Antonio. It was very well done.

I have to say I loved Kenneth Brannah's (sp?) films of "Much Ado About Nothing" and "Henry V". I loved them alot. Big much!

Franco Zefferellis (sp?) film "Romeo and Juliet" beautiful as has been stated, Olivia Hussy (sp?) is just georgous.

I love Shakespeare.

Once I saw a BBC version of Twelfth Night that had Peter O'Toole playing Malvolio (I believe it was Peter O'Toole, could be wong). Stunningly hilarious. Love it.

edit: good grief, my spelling is crap.
  27. Buzzfloyd Spelling Bee

I really loved Baz Luhrmann's Romeo and Juliet, even though it had Leonardo diCaprio as Romeo. People seem to either love or hate that version, but it worked for me.
  28. Maljonic Administrator

I just remembered my all time favourite stage direction, from A Winter's Tale: Exeunt, pursued by a bear :)
  29. Marcia Executive Onion

I loved that one, too.

I also think that some radical adaptations of Shakespeare plays, without the same dialogue, can be very good. For example, West Side Story, Forbidden Planet, My Own Private Idaho. They have to be judged in their own right.
  30. mowgli New Member

Which play was adapted for My Own Private Idaho?
  31. Bob New Member

you read my mind!

I was just coming to post that! :)

32. queenynci New Member

Henry IV
  33. Rockycog New Member

mmmmmmmm my shakespeare. Well he's written so much and I havn't read all of them so I can't comment on things like Henry V or Merchant of Venice as to me they are jus titles.

I think my favourite storyline is Romeo and Juliet, or Macbeth. I like them both :)

I often find it hard to just read and enjoy his works though as the language is difficult to me. I may be reading the words but they are just that.... words... so don't have a meaning. I prefer watching the films/ or better still, plays in the theatre. Or even jus performing them in Drama as we did Macbeth - as our own modern version of it. Yes I tell you Banquo was a Dj :? !! Ah the memories of Drama..... :D
  34. spiky Bar Wench

Lessee I've read too much Shakespeare but here we go...

Bad: Troylus and Cressida (I know I've said this in another thread but I think its worth revisiting just how much I dislike this play...). For movie versions I came across a 70s BBC production of Romeo and Juliet with Alan Rickman as Romeo... oh so wrong! I also saw a horrible stage version of Hamlet where Hamlet did all of his soliloquies standing front and centre stage spitting over the audience, not good. On the upside I saw a very good production in Melbourne so I guess it was just the production rather than the plays fault.

Good: Much Ado About Nothing, Twelth Night, Hamlet, Julius Caesar and Romeo and Juliet

Spinoffs: Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead by Tom Stoppard is brilliant (mentioned previously too :oops: ) it takes the turn-coat college friends in Hamlet and gives them their own world off-stage. The movies not great but if you can find a decent production of it, its great fun - heads!