Unseen Message Board Banners

Discussion in 'BOARDANIA' started by Maljonic, Oct 27, 2005.

1. Maljonic Administrator

We just got a link back from the Discworld beer website and you can see they have a banner on this page: http://www.terrypratchettbooks.org/linkspace/Terry-Pratchett-and-Discworld.html

They asked if we want to put our banner on their page only we don't have one, so I was wondering do any of you want to have a go at making a banner. It doesn't have to be just one, sites generally have a few for people to choose from; the size for this should be 468 x 60 pixels, the same as the one on the above page and has to say 'Terry Pratchett Unseen Message Board' on it, but other than that it's up to you.

Hopefully we might end up with a selection for people to use on their sites, you can have your name in the bottom corner as recognition and eventually they'll get used on billions of websites, okay millions, well thousands...maybe.

It would be nice to have original artwork instead of the usual copied and pasted Discworld cover art from a book or whatever; I do intend getting around to making a proper banner for the site at some point, the one up there now is just something put together in like half an hour - a bit of text with a copied Granny. :)
  2. Tephlon Active Member

Oooh! Ooh, I'll do an animated gif-banner!

It will be subtle, no screaming colours and sh*t.
    (This used to be my job, part of it anyway)
  3. Maljonic Administrator

Brilliant! :)
  4. Buzzfloyd Spelling Bee

I uploaded a design to my picture gallery.
  5. Perdita New Member

[quote:d8baaef4bf="Buzzfloyd"]I uploaded a design to my picture gallery.[/quote:d8baaef4bf]

Sorry Grace- can you tell me were to go to take a look at this? I've tried looking but the search option doesn't seem to bring anything back? Is the picture gallery within another forum? :?

Edit to say: It's OK I've worked it out!
  6. Electric_Man Templar

[quote:ef4427f260="Buzzfloyd"]I uploaded a design to my picture gallery.[/quote:ef4427f260]

I've done likewise. I basically adjusted the main logo and added a bit of Vetinari. It's not mind-blowing, but it would be familiar.

I like your god-themed one Grace, but it looks like it was saved in Paint, which loses shedloads of information when you do it as a jpg. If you want, save it as a bmp, send it to me and I'll convert it to a nice, undistorted jpg.
  7. Maljonic Administrator

Grace, that banner rocks, it does need to be clearer though. Just do as Electric_Man says or send me the full original instead.

Electric_Man, we can't use that one because it doesn't say 'Terry Pratchett Unseen Message Board' on it, so no one will have a clue what it's about; and it's someone else's art work copied and pasted, which I think we should try and keep away from with our banners, not just for copyright reason but also to make us stand out more and be original.
  8. Electric_Man Templar

Ah right, good point. *runs from the lawyers*
  9. Tephlon Active Member

10. Electric_Man Templar

Heh, very good, a bit fast though* and not sure what's going on with the H and the R at the end... Great idea though, and sums us up pretty well (apart from the intelligent discussion bit)

*So fast that it actually makes me a bit cross-eyed on the second go round actually. You could do with holding the last panel for longer too, to make sure that the name of the board is clearer.
  11. Maljonic Administrator

That's cool, what's that little bit hanging off the 'R' on message board? Could you change the background colour slightly so the banner doesn't blend into the links page when it's placed there and slightly disappear, and seperate 'message' and 'board'?

Also, to everyone in general who wants to make a banner: they don't have to match the colour scheme of this site, they can if you like but they don't have to. Remember that these banners are going on other people's sites, they'll be picked for use by the people that own the other sites so it's just as important for the banner to be appealing to them as it is to us, plus they need to convey what this site is about. I know that last bit's pretty obvious but I thought I'd say it anyway. :)

edit: crossposted with Electric_Man
  12. fairyliquid New Member

shouldn't it be 'Intelligence doesn’t mean it’s not fun'

instead of 'intelligent doesn't mean it's not fun'

maybe something like 'cunning stupidity and serious humour' or something a little more catchy...intelligent is certainly not the correct word...
  13. Tephlon Active Member

Intelligent discussion? -> "Intelligent discussion doesn't mean it's not a fun discussion.... "?

English is not my first language.
    Meh.
    I'll see what's going on with the R...

I like the 'cunning stupidity and serious humour' bit. :)
  14. fairyliquid New Member

[quote:bfbbf74d69="Tephlon"]Intelligent discussion? -> "Intelligent discussion doesn't mean it's not a fun discussion.... "?
    [/quote:bfbbf74d69]

It's a bit long...you need something catchy, does anyone else have suggestions?

Forgot to say this the first time...its good and i love the badgers/monkeys bit :D
  15. Maljonic Administrator

'intelligent doesn't mean it's not fun' make perfect sense, 'intelligence doesn't mean it's not fun' sounds a bit odd, actually I think it's just plain wrong. :).
  16. Tephlon Active Member

I think it comes down to context.
    Intelligent duscussion -> Intelligent doesn't mean it's not fun.

Anyway, I scrapped that line and came up with THIS
  17. Buzzfloyd Spelling Bee

'Intelligent' is perfectly correct because it's quoting the previous statement. Ben, I'll send you the bmp. I did indeed save it in Paint. I can do Art, but not technical stuff.
  18. Tephlon Active Member

Yay, Buzzfloyd said I was right! Neener neener neener! :D
  19. Buzzfloyd Spelling Bee

I like the second version too. I've uploaded the clearer banner (thanks, Ben). It's annoying me now, though, that the second line is slightly off-centre.
  20. sleepy_sarge New Member

First statement - excellent banner Tephlon.

Now the minor quibble.

Intelligence is indeed correct, I wonder, however if that would entice people to click? To me it sounds a bit Like Basil Fawlty's newspaper ad for the Gourment Evenings which contained the memorable phrase "no riff-raff"

Possibly that is what we want to achieve however!

Just as a suggestion, instead of the "intelligence doesn't mean it's not fun" statement there could be a small print, very fast moving marquee of the disclaimer type used in (predominantly) US radio commercials, i.e. Intelligence in the context of this banner should not be taken to imply....and then a string of humorous and possibly unrelated things, including fairyliquids suggestions (which I am not intelligent enough to think of myself!)

This would keep people looking to catch all the words and possibly intrigue them

Just to show we DO have a sense of humour.

I would try myself, but alas I am no artist*

* although I have beed described as a certain type of artist on many occasions.
  21. Maljonic Administrator

Okay that looks great, you were right in the first place though like Buzzfloyd and I said. Can you just seperate the 'Message' and 'Board' then, along with Buzzfloyd's when it's done, we'll have two cool banners at least to choose from, and hopefully some more later. I might have a go at a groovy Flash banner tonight, or perhaps an animated gif? :)
  22. Tephlon Active Member

Oops.
    Uploaded the new version HERE
  23. colonesque10 New Member

I like it Phlon. I do however think badgers should come before monkeys though. ;)

I like yours too Grace, although Ben's is surely stolen. I know that as a scouser. :D
  24. Maljonic Administrator

[quote:98604edaf1="Tephlon"]Oops.
    Uploaded the new version HERE[/quote:98604edaf1]Just one last tiny niggle; have you put part of a mask over the 'M' in Message, it seems to have a bit cut off? :)
  25. Maljonic Administrator

26. Tephlon Active Member

[quote:6874d3d974="Maljonic"][quote:6874d3d974="Tephlon"]Oops.
    Uploaded the new version HERE[/quote:6874d3d974]Just one last tiny niggle; have you put part of a mask over the 'M' in Message, it seems to have a bit cut off? :)[/quote:6874d3d974]

Aaargh, Yes, it does. Damn! VErsion 4 tomorrow morning... :)
  27. Maljonic Administrator

I know how you feel, it takes bloody ages to mess around with things, only it doesn't seem ages when you're doing it, hours just disappear - at least they do for me anyway. :)
  28. Mynona Member

Grace, I feel stupid for saying this but on your banner I first read the GGG as 666, maybe not what you we're aiming for :( And if people doesn't know about the Great God they might do the same thing.
  29. Maljonic Administrator

Do you know, I think I did that too but never thought about it. :)
  30. Maljonic Administrator

31. Buzzfloyd Spelling Bee

Mynona, you're supposed to. In the dreaded 1337-speak, the letter G is represented by 6. Therefore, 666 = GGG. Hence Great God Garner. I'm not sure if Garner made up his title before noticing that or in response to it, but it's always been part of the joke.
  32. Marcia Executive Onion

[quote:99ee247503="Buzzfloyd"]Mynona, you're supposed to. In the dreaded 1337-speak, the letter G is represented by 6. Therefore, 666 = GGG. Hence Great God Garner. I'm not sure if Garner made up his title before noticing that or in response to it, but it's always been part of the joke.[/quote:99ee247503]

But this banner is supposed to be used to advertise the board on other websites. I think we'll have a problem trying to get other websites to display a banner that says 666.
  33. Maljonic Administrator

Actually I don't think most literary type websites would be all that bothered, and anyway it's up to them to choose from our selection of banners - it might be that a banner with 666 on it fits with their theme or genre. :)
  34. Buzzfloyd Spelling Bee

I wouldn't have thought it would be that much of an issue. We can always say it says 'GGG' anyway, since it's supposed to be both.
  35. Maljonic Administrator

Have you finished it yet by the way, I can add it to our banner page if you have? :)
  36. Tephlon Active Member

37. Maljonic Administrator

I still think the side of the 'M' looks a bit thin, or am I just seeing things? :)
  38. Rincewind Number One Doorman

Looks fine to me.
  39. Buzzfloyd Spelling Bee

The better quality banner is in my picture gallery.
  40. Maljonic Administrator

[quote:98ea578305="Buzzfloyd"]The better quality banner is in my picture gallery.[/quote:98ea578305]I can't tell which is which, the text looks a bit bitty on both of them, does it look like that in the original before you save it?

Edit: I've added it, and Tephlon's, to the banner page anyway. :)
  41. Buzzfloyd Spelling Bee

The first one is the one I saved, the second one is the one Ben did for me from the bmp.
  42. Electric_Man Templar

43. Maljonic Administrator

That's quite nice, effective I think. It would be even better if it linked to here! :)

Can I add it to the banners page?
  44. Electric_Man Templar

What? Dammit! Why does my html have to be so rusty! Thanks for pointing that out, Mal

And yeah, go ahead and add it if you want.

edit: fixed the link now, things work if you put them in the right order!
  45. Electric_Man Templar

46. Tephlon Active Member

E_M: We want to ATTRACT people, not scare them away! :shock:
  47. Delphine New Member

I laughed until I cried when I saw that "banner".
  48. Rincewind Number One Doorman

oh dear god..... :shock:
  49. spiky Bar Wench

[quote:f25afb1660="Electric_Man"] [u:f25afb1660]I've made a very basic one for my own site.[/u:f25afb1660]

The colour scheme is basically to fit in with the menu bar as well. Due to the simplicity of the banner, it would actually be very customisable for different colours.[/quote:f25afb1660]

What I liked about this is the google options on the right hand side... electric hoist equipment is [i:f25afb1660]exactly[/i:f25afb1660] what I think of when I think of Ben :)
  50. McLaren New Member

Ben, I think that banner is actually the scariest thing I've ever seen. :shock: