Vindaloo for Garner

Discussion in 'BOARDANIA' started by OmKranti, Sep 12, 2006.

1. OmKranti Yogi Wench

Garner, I made some smashing vindaloo the other day for a potluck. It turned out really well, and the best thing about it is that even tough it takes a while (about 3 or 4 hours) it's really simple. So, I wanted to share the recipe with you. It's kinda cheeting since I use pataks. If you can't get pataks there...wait...of course you can.

Bit of oil
    2 large yellow onions
    1 lump of ginger
    Whole clove of garlic
    1 bell pepper
    ½ jar of “Pataks Vindaloo Curry Paste”
    1 can crush tomates
    1 can chicken stock
    2 or 3 lbs chicken (I like to get 4 or 5 large whole legs and thighs and skin and de-bone and make my own chicken stock, it makes the greasy bits on top of the curry tastier)
    2 large potatoes
    Bunch of cilantro
    4 tablespoons of yoghurt

Dice onion into small bits. Julienne ginger. Smash garlic and chop finely. Chop bell pepper into tiny bits. Throw all of this in a pot on very low heat and make it happy for about an hour until the onions are nearly smushy.

Add the Patacks to the pot. Cook it a bit on a slightly higher heat. The whole house will smell like curry now. Reduce heat.

After the heat is reduced add the yoghurt. It is important that the heat is reduced so that the yoghurt does not curdle. Add the crushed tomatoes. Don’t overpower with the tomatoes, I don’t usually use the whole can. You don’t want it to tomatoey. Cook this all on low simmer heat for about half an hour to incorporate all the spices. (remember to stir or it will stick)

Add chicken, potatoes and chicken broth. Simmer on very low heat for another 2 or so hours until the potatoes are soft. I always suggest to make it a day before to really let the flavors mingle.

Reheat, add cilantro and serve.
  2. Garner Great God and Founding Father

*drools*
  3. OmKranti Yogi Wench

If you like I can make a batch for you when I come for OmCon. This curry will keep for at least 10 days in the fridge.
  4. Garner Great God and Founding Father

*drools*
  5. plaid New Member

the office kitchen today smelled like really weird sticky curry.

did not mesh well with my strawberry instant oatmeal.

i'm going to write down this recipe though... good curry reminds me of england.
  6. OmKranti Yogi Wench

[quote:0d606f0965="plaid"]the office kitchen today smelled like really weird sticky curry.

[/quote:0d606f0965]

How does something smell sticky?
  7. plaid New Member

i don't know.

but it did.

(don't ask so many questions, silly om)
  8. OmKranti Yogi Wench

[quote:f82ad35c1a="plaid"]i don't know.

but it did.

(don't ask so many questions, silly om)[/quote:f82ad35c1a]

yes ma'am, sorry ma'am.
  9. spiky Bar Wench

[quote:e3c369a043]cilantro [/quote:e3c369a043]

What is this? I want to get this right when I get around to making it...
  10. mowgli New Member

Cilantro is a highly addictive type of herb that I absolutely adore and that the check-out person at the supermarket always confuses with parsley. Always!

(It looks like parsley, but smells REALLY strongly of um... non-parsley. Maybe the check-out person has a cold, or maybe she just thinks it's parsley gone bad!)

Maybe it goes by another name in Australia. I know it goes by "kyndza" in the former Soviet Republics, but I doubt the name made it as far as the Oz.
  11. OmKranti Yogi Wench

[quote:c4b132b84b="spiky"][quote:c4b132b84b]cilantro [/quote:c4b132b84b]

What is this? I want to get this right when I get around to making it...[/quote:c4b132b84b]

In India it's called Chinese Parsley....I think it also might be called that in China too. In the united states it's mostly used in and associated with mexican food, specifically, salsa.

This is what it looks like:
    [img:c4b132b84b]http://www.directoalpaladar.com/images/cilantro.gif[/img:c4b132b84b]
  12. TamyraMcG Active Member

Cilantro is the leafy part of the coriander plant, I hope that helps.
  13. spiky Bar Wench

That looks like corriander. Used in a lot of Thai and Malaysian cooking, Its yummy.
  14. OmKranti Yogi Wench

[quote:8dddb2f3fe="spiky"]That looks like corriander. Used in a lot of Thai and Malaysian cooking, Its yummy.[/quote:8dddb2f3fe]

Yup, that would be it!
  15. TamyraMcG Active Member

I guess I was a bit too late, damn 12hour shifts :oops:
  16. Katcal I Aten't French !

Ok, now that is just not fair. First Sam's pic of indian food, now this.

Now I have to either make or buy something indian or manage to get to OmCon. Damn you all !

Also, I demand that someone who knows how to do it explains to me how to make cheese naans. I keep trying to stop, but the addiction is harder to shake than coke. Even diet coke.
  17. sampanna New Member

Cheese naans?! Bleargh!
    The only thing that's allowed is butter .. then we call it butter naans.

Cheese! :shock:
  18. sampanna New Member

[quote:0f0758b9dc="OmKranti"]
    In India it's called Chinese Parsley....I think it also might be called that in China too.
    [/quote:0f0758b9dc]

We just call it coriander really .. or kothmir/kothimbir if you want the propah marathi version :)
  19. Katcal I Aten't French !

No cheese ??? :shock:

Hang on there Sam, the Cheese Naan is one of the pillar of European civilisation, the world can not continue to exist with no Cheese Naans... :shock: **faints**
  20. spiky Bar Wench

[quote:e3ba52e674="Katcal"]No cheese ??? :shock:

Hang on there Sam, the Cheese Naan is one of the pillar of European civilisation, the world can not continue to exist with no Cheese Naans... :shock: **faints**[/quote:e3ba52e674]

I think the operative word there is "European" a culture that will take anything Asian and reduce it to bland tasting slop...
  21. Hsing Moderator

Koriander? Now I might get a hold on that.
    The “Pataks Vindaloo Curry Paste” would have to be ordered online, though.... Hm...

Vindaloo is pretty much unheard of here, and curry is a spice mix, not a meal. i'd love to interoduce this to my friends (no point in introducing it to my husband, he's vegetarian.)
  22. Katcal I Aten't French !

[quote:935ea03a3a="spiky"][quote:935ea03a3a="Katcal"]No cheese ??? :shock:

Hang on there Sam, the Cheese Naan is one of the pillar of European civilisation, the world can not continue to exist with no Cheese Naans... :shock: **faints**[/quote:935ea03a3a]

I think the operative word there is "European" a culture that will take anything Asian and reduce it to [b:935ea03a3a]bland tasting slop[/b:935ea03a3a]...[/quote:935ea03a3a]
    So you've never had a vindaloo in England then. Different, not traditional, fine, but not [b:935ea03a3a]bland[/b:935ea03a3a]. Restauranteers no matter where they come from adapt their food to the people who are going to eat it, because they want to make more money and not put people off by things they're not used to. Australia is nearer Asia, so it's easier not only to get things right, but to find people who want to eat food that's "right".

Now take a pillar of traditional English food. Marmite. Australians can't even get [b:935ea03a3a]that [/b:935ea03a3a]right... Vegemite, pah ! :D Next I'll find out they put meat in their sausages ! :roll:
  23. OmKranti Yogi Wench

[quote:19158f8fae="sampanna"][quote:19158f8fae="OmKranti"]
    In India it's called Chinese Parsley....I think it also might be called that in China too.
    [/quote:19158f8fae]

We just call it coriander really .. or kothmir/kothimbir if you want the propah marathi version :)[/quote:19158f8fae]

I had heard it called kothmir before, but not coriander. The reason I though that Indians called in Chinese Parsley is becase I have a Madhur Jaffrey cookbook and thats what she calls it. Like I said, it took me ages to figure out what she meant. I've always just heard of it as cilantro. Corinader I've only ever reffered to as the seeds.

And Sampana, I totally agree...cheese naans?? What are they thinking?
  24. Katcal I Aten't French !

[quote:5e3e3ed6d2="OmKranti"]And Sampana, I totally agree...cheese naans?? What are they thinking?[/quote:5e3e3ed6d2]

:( :cry: :cry: [size=9:5e3e3ed6d2]But they're delicious !!![/size:5e3e3ed6d2]
  25. spiky Bar Wench

[quote:fbed8fab67="Katcal"] Now take a pillar of traditional English food. Marmite. Australians can't even get [b:fbed8fab67]that [/b:fbed8fab67]right... Vegemite, pah ! :D Next I'll find out they put meat in their sausages ! :roll:[/quote:fbed8fab67]

pffft we weren't attempting to replicate that evilest of all english food. marmite sux, but making a beter more palatable version of that dead dog warmed over in horse poo marmite, stuff the english like to call a food product... Honestly, I've converted the Swiss, Canadian and Malaysians to Vegemite. It just needs the expert touch in combining just the right amount with planty of butter on good thick, crusty toast...mmm vegemite on toast. The food of the Oh God Of Hangovers.

BTW Australians do have a tendency to Europeanise asian food, hence vindaloo is mouth burning gristle for foreigners. But we do tend to get our south-east asian and Chinese food a lot nearer to original. Its all a matter of knowing where to go. Going to uni in China town in Sydney I can tell you the best spots for nearly anything asian... roti chanai, laksa, hand-made chinese noodles, yum cha.... its nearly midnight and I just made myself hungry...

I hope your satisfied...

edit: cos I've had too much wine to be able to spell properly.
  26. lipi New Member

[quote:97512f25f7="Hsing"]Koriander? Now I might get a hold on that.
    The “Pataks Vindaloo Curry Paste” would have to be ordered online, though.... Hm...

Vindaloo is pretty much unheard of here, and [b:97512f25f7]curry is a spice mix, not a meal[/b:97512f25f7]. i'd love to interoduce this to my friends (no point in introducing it to my husband, he's vegetarian.)[/quote:97512f25f7]

That's the problem here, too. But, at least I found Rajah's Curry paste in the Inter Spar shop chain, they were the only one who had it. So maybe you can get it there. I'm not sure if it's the same as the vindaloo on, though. Asian food is not what it's supposed to be here :p

I thought I found heaven when a hotel here had Thai food week :D:D
  27. Katcal I Aten't French !

Hsing, you can make vegetarian vindaloo too you know, just replace the chicken with veg... When you get to the "add chicken" part, tip half the sauce into a seperate pot and do a vege version there and everyone will be happy ;) Also, if you have such a thing as asian supermarkets/shops where you are, try them for Pataks, if you have chinese restaurants in germany, you have asian supermarkets. I love those places, you can find loads of great stuff there.

Spiky, I am truly satisfied, go make yourself a slice of pansy-flavoured vegemite on toast and stop complaining :D
  28. spiky Bar Wench

*Bites virtual toast provided by Kat*

mmm toastalicious...

I don't know if you can get it in Europe but for really good SE Asia curries, e.g. Panang (my favourite), tom yum, massaman, green, red etc the best brand here is called Valcom. Made in Thailand and sold through all the major supermarket chains here (which is why I think you may be in luck)... These make great curries. Looks like this:

[img:d7256e7198]http://www.coles.com.au/images/cmi/library/ingredient/small/Valcom-Thai-Spicy-Basil-SF.jpg[/img:d7256e7198]

Hsing if you can get your hands on the SE Asian curries they can be converted to vegetarian by veges or tofu. Both work in the context...
  29. inwig New Member

That does it! :evil: You have now declared war - vegemite versus marmite pah. This discussion of curry has made me miss Durban for the first time. Forget the Vindaloo what about a good Malay biryani (also known as breyani and other spellings depending on where you were introduced to it) with extra chilli please. As a returned ex-pat I will now stand on my soap box and declare 'England has no idea what a good curry is'.

** Gets pelted by flavourless yellow stuff with extra rice. Falls off soap box and rolls into small whimpering ball due to withdrawal symptoms**
  30. OmKranti Yogi Wench

Did you know that there are more curry houses in England than there are in India. FACT!
  31. inwig New Member

Yes and so far all my acquaintances and relatives have afflicted the bad ones on me :cry:
  32. Katcal I Aten't French !

Having tried quite a few indian restaurants in England and in France, I must say they vary quite a lot, I have had some terrible curry in England, but also the best one ever... In general, the English ones seem to try to make the curry as mouth-burning as possible and not care too much about the taste... Now I'm not a hot curry fan really, whereas Hubby usually goes for the hottest thing on the menu, so we usally taste a bit of both. In France, there are some pretty crappy ones too, but on the whole they are much more into the fruity or sweet-ish dishes or the biryanis than the hot Vindaloos or Madras curries, and so maybe they tend to care more about the taste rather than just making it hot...

But anyway, as I was saying to sampanna on MSN, the Japanese or Chinese restaurants are far far from serving traditional stuff, but then hey, Fondue places claim to be Swiss, but they're not anything like what you would eat in Switzerland, and the Italians didn't even invent the pizza... In fact most Italians would probably commit murder if you tried to make them eat in some of the pasta places I've been to. The British "pub food" here has neither bangers and mash, pork pies nor ploughmans, they barely manage a decent steak and kidney pie, and England is only an hour and a half away by plane...
  33. OmKranti Yogi Wench

Silly french people, I knew they were good for nothing.
  34. Buzzfloyd Spelling Bee

It's all a question of where you go. I have eaten some dreadful curry in England (I firmly stand by the belief that sultanas have no place in anything calling itself a curry) and some incredible curry. There's this one expensive Indian restaurant in London that Garner and I have now forced the Holy Mother of Garner to take us to twice. She is a very holy mother.

As for cheese naans... I have never heard of these before and never wish to hear of such an abomination again! Surely this is an invention of the Ba?

Om, will you also be making a curry for those of us who are not asbestos-lined? Pretty please?
  35. Katcal I Aten't French !

**cries quietly alone in a corner** But cheese naans taste good :( :cry: How can bread and cheese together be an abomination, how ????? (5 "?" because it really is unbelievable)
  36. OmKranti Yogi Wench

[quote:96fdc604db="Buzzfloyd"]
    Om, will you also be making a curry for those of us who are not asbestos-lined? Pretty please?[/quote:96fdc604db]

Explainy for the stupid person?
  37. Katcal I Aten't French !

Om, she means a milder curry for those who are not fire-proof... ;)
  38. OmKranti Yogi Wench

Well, in that case, totally.

I can do butter chicken, or chicken korma. Or chicken tikka massala? Let me know what you want, I can do it. I'm superwoman.
  39. Katcal I Aten't French !

**drools** Oh why, why ???? :(

You wouldn't, by any chance, let a poor humble novice into the secret of making all those wonderful things would you ? **begging in an expanding pool of drool**
  40. OmKranti Yogi Wench

Sure, what do you want to know?
  41. Buzzfloyd Spelling Bee

Yay! I can cope with medium spiciness, but I know my limitations. Butter chicken, tikka masala and korma are all good options.
  42. Katcal I Aten't French !

Well err... the recipe ? :D
  43. plaid New Member

i want to come to om con.

sigh.
  44. OmKranti Yogi Wench

" Chicken Tikka Massala is now a true British national dish, not only because it is the most popular, but because it is a perfect illustration of the way Britain absorbs and adapts external influences. Chicken Tikka is an Indian dish. The Massala sauce was added to satisfy the desire of British people to have their meat served in gravy. "
    - Extract from a speech by British Foreign Secretary, Robin Cook.

[b:094f1e13ca]Chicken Tikka Massala[/b:094f1e13ca]

Part I.
    2 lbs. boneless chicken breast
    1/4 cup yogurt
    3 t. minced ginger
    3 t. crushed garlic
    1/4 t. white pepper
    1/4 t. cumin powder
    1/4 t. mace
    1/4 t. nutmeg
    1/4 t. green cardamom powder
    1/4 t. chili powder
    1/4 t. turmeric
    3 T. lemon juice
    4 T. vegetable oil
    Melted margarine (for basting)

Part II.
    5 oz. tomato paste
    10 oz. tomato puree
    2 lbs. tomatoes, chopped
    2 t. ginger paste
    2 t. garlic paste
    2 t. green chilies
    1 T. red chili powder
    2 t. cloves
    8 green cardamoms
    salt to taste
    3 T. butter
    2/3 cup cream
    1 t. fenugreek
    2 t. ginger, julienned
    honey to taste

Whisk all of the ingredients in Part I together in a large bowl. Add the chicken breast, cut into 2 inch cubes. Marinate overnight in the refrigerator. Preheat oven to 350ºF. Bake the chicken for 8 minutes, basting with margarine twice. Drain excess marinade and bake for another 2 minutes.
    While doing this, make the sauce in Part II. Deseed and chop green chilies. Put tomatoes, tomato paste and tomato puree in a pot and add approximately 4-1/4 cups of water. Add ginger and garlic paste, green chilies, red chili powder, cloves, cardamoms, and salt. Cook over low heat until reduced to a thick sauce. Strain through a strainer and bring to a boil. Add butter and cream. Stir. If the sauce tastes sour, add honey to taste. Add fenugreek and ginger juliennes, stir, and serve with the chicken.

Just to let you all know, this is not my original recipe, it's just one of my favorites. I love the recipes on this site Sonzy's Kitchen
  45. Garner Great God and Founding Father

[quote:6d198cdaa2="plaid"]i want to come to om con.

sigh.[/quote:6d198cdaa2]

you had your chance, but you wussed out.
  46. Darkbane New Member

Here's a slightly off topic question...

I live in new york, and know absoloutely nothing about indian culture even though I'm surrounded by indian people. The ones who will associate with me seem to know very little about their heritage and the rest refuse to associate with me on any level. why is this?

Also, there are 3 major groups of indian folks in my area. I've gathered that they're different "types" of indian and they seem to hate eachother even more than they hate me. what's going on here? Where can I learn about indian culture? What, when you get right down to it, is curry?
  47. OmKranti Yogi Wench

I'd have to say that probably the answers you are seeking cannot be found on a pTerry messageboard. Unless Sampana has some enlightenment for you. But I have not seen him around lately. If I see him on, I'll bump this for him.

And curry is...curry.