Waking Ned Divine

Discussion in 'BOARDANIA' started by redneck, Sep 27, 2006.

1. redneck New Member

I just finished watching the movie mentioned in the title. Great movie. Great scenes. Everything about it is great. And it's in Ireland. Movies like that make me want to quit work tomorrow and go to Ireland to live. I'll visit Ireland before I die. I was going to throw in a bad joke about taking Rinso so that he could see what Ireland looked like, but then I thought better of it and didn't want to make another petty joke at Damien's expense. (but if you do want to go, just drop me an e-mail)

Why would I start a whole new thread for this topic, me wanting to go to Ireland, and not just post it under another already formed thread, you're asking? Because this is a little different. What would be the best way to move/work/live for an indeffinite time in your area, especially if you live in Ireland? I hear of people day laboring their way across countries and continents even. How would one go about that? Does anyone here have any experience with it or know anything about it?
  2. Katcal I Aten't French !

Wow, that's a great idea... I'd love to go to Ireland too, in fact, I regularly dream of fitting out a camper van and visiting the whole of the British Isles... I have a friend who once left for ireland, with a one-way ticket and a back pack, and lived there for a year... I'll ask her and get back to you ;)
  3. fairyliquid New Member

erm...best way to move to around asia...be a single male in the oil industry. Best way to move around ireland...i have no idea...depends on where your from originally and how easy it is to get in there and stay.. If your in the EU no problem...just go. If your anywhere else...find a job offer willing to sponsor you in that country for a work visa.
  4. Hsing Moderator

5. Garner Great God and Founding Father

as i understand it, about 10 or 20 years ago, ireland's economy was so fucked that if you could even count to 21 without taking off your shoes and trousers, you were hired. for whatever you wanted. they were overjoyed to have people move in and work.

i think it's apt to be a BIT more strict now... you gotta buy a round for the immigration committee first, or something. must be able to identify a potato 2 times out of three... but that part of the test is dead easy. there's only one thing on the table, and it's a potato.
  6. Bradthewonderllama New Member

Are either of your parents or any of your grandparents from Ireland? If so, you could apply for dual citizenship. Ireland seems to be having a large influx of immigrants right now and between the EU citizens and the political assylumn seekers you might have a hard time.
  7. spiky Bar Wench

Can't say for Ireland but Australia, The Home of the British Backpacker the advice is...

Permanently staying without a Permanent Residency visa is a total balls up with Australia's immigration policy BUT on a tourist visa you can work in any ONE job for 3 months. So in a 12 month stay you can work 4 jobs.

Jobs available are in temping office work in the cities (the best option if in Sydney or Melbourne), travelling there's always farmers looking for desparate travellers to do the fruit picking or wool cleaning that locals don't want... AND theres no requirement to be able to identify the agricultural product in question. Not even potatoes. Which makes it that much easier to get into Australia than Ireland.
  8. QuothTheRaven New Member

I was going to make a joke about flying to tiajana, bribing a cop, and hoping over a fence, possibly stoping to congradulate the unarmed border guards on sucessfully wasting taxpayer money, but then I remembered that redneck is already in the US.

Well, if any non-americans wanted to get into america without having to deal with the immigration beurocracy, that would be how to do it.
  9. Katcal I Aten't French !

Ok, here's the advice from aforesaid friend :

First thing to do : get your PPS number, without it, they may take up to 45% off your pay ! And then, open a bank account to get paid in Euros, it'll be easier...
    Go round temp agencies, I don't know how US CVs are done, but make it as detailed as you can, take some with you to hand out... (French CVs are very short, they must fit on one page, even if you have 10 years experience.)

Hang out in pubs, chat with people a lot, don't hesitate to drop into shops, pubs, restaurants, making contact is half the work... The same goes for finding places to stay, look for house or flat sharing, or make friends with people with a comfy spare room or sofa... Housing is quite expensive there, about as expensive as the center of Paris (that's where she lives ;) ) but youth hostels are great if you want to move around a lot, you have to buy a membership card the first time, but after that, they're cheap, and good places to make friends.

Edited for links
  10. redneck New Member

What are CVs?
  11. Katcal I Aten't French !

12. Marcia Executive Onion

Check the Irish Consulate nearest you for information.

By the way, should we be assuming that you want to live in the Republic, not Northern Ireland, in which case you would have to go by UK immigration rules. If you don't have a preference, you could do whichever is easier.

I believe that if you have Irish grandparents, you can choose between either Irish or UK citizenship.
  13. Perdita New Member

[quote:2d2edf403e="Garner"]as i understand it, about 10 or 20 years ago, ireland's economy was so fucked that if you could even count to 21 without taking off your shoes and trousers, you were hired. for whatever you wanted. they were overjoyed to have people move in and work.

i think it's apt to be a BIT more strict now... you gotta buy a round for the immigration committee first, or something. must be able to identify a potato 2 times out of three... but that part of the test is dead easy. there's only one thing on the table, and it's a potato.[/quote:2d2edf403e]

Hello Folks!

Actually the opposite of this is true- About 10-20 years ago it was bloody difficult to get a job north or south of the border! (But potato counting does help! :lol: )

At that time there was a huge increase in Irish people working illegally in the US and the huge workforce of tradesmen who moved to England... it's actually a political joke here that many republicans originally from Northern Ireland at one stage 'built' England!

In recent years Ireland (both North and South) has seen an upturn in its economy and therefore an increase in people immigrating here from all over the world (probably similar to what England experienced 20 years ago!)

I'm from Northern Ireland and have two passports an Irish one and a British one. I'm originally from County Tyrone, but I've lived in Dublin and now live in Belfast

As mentioned before if you can claim Southern Irish ancestry (Gran-parent) you can get an Irish Passport however you do need to be able to source that Grandparents’ birth certificate. My Mum helped a cousin of hers who lives in Los Angles to do this - it does take a bit of time but could be worth it if you really do have the traveling bug - I know from personal experience that an Irish passport can be looked upon more favorably than a US/British one in some countries!

Working VISAs from the US to other countries can be tough enough to get, however I know that holiday visas can be for 3 months + which would probably give you enough time to have a good look around and probably be able to pick up some cash in hand work (not legal but if you're broke it's the only way to go!)

Feel free to post any Ireland related questions to me and I will try and answer them
  14. Marcia Executive Onion

[quote:068a46d05b="Perdita"][I know that holiday visas can be for 3 months + which would probably give you enough time to have a good look around and probably be able to pick up some cash in hand work (not legal but if you're broke it's the only way to go!)

[/quote:068a46d05b]

But if you then decide that you want to move to Ireland permanently, and it is discovered that you violated the conditions of your holiday visa, you will probably be fucked.
  15. Perdita New Member

Sorry as usual I'm not being very clear!!

I only mean that if you plan to stay in Ireland for 3 months without working you'd need to have pleanty of cash- particularly if you're coming from the US - the exchange rate is definately not in your favour.

I had a friend who overstayed his year long visa when he went to Australia (from Ireland) he ended up getting his passport revoked and has only got it 're-instated' after 3 years!