Whatever happened to Nobby's brother?

Discussion in 'THE WATCH BOOKS' started by randywine, Apr 4, 2006.

1. randywine Member

Apologies in advance if this is covered somewhere else but in Guards! Guards! When the squad are naming the swamp dragon they name it after Nobby's Brother Errol (He Looks just like my brother Errol). Now I understand that this is a device to name the dragon but it's a shame that Errol (Nobby's brother) has never been used as a counterpoint (or addition) to Nobby's Nobbyish-ness.
    Just a thought...

[i:b7258e16f0]Oh and I may have mis-spelled 'Errol' BTW I dont have the book to hand.[/i:b7258e16f0]
  2. lord_vimes001 New Member

I just read the book. I thought it was his cousin? I'll look it up tonight. There is some about his family in Night Watch I think, when Vimes "first" meets Nobby.....

My bad. Errol is Nobby's brother...page 158 US paperback edition..

edited to correct my memory errol, err, error.
  3. Katcal I Aten't French !

Errol works in my office. He does, I swear it !
  4. Victimov8 New Member

Bugger - total memory failure, we thought it was an uncle! :shock:

So many books - so little time... :(
  5. Guest Guest

damn it!! i thought uncle too!

*note to self* reread all watch books

bloody good idea me thinks!!!

Thanks for the excuse.
  6. i love it when in the back of the new discworld companion (i think :? ) when terry says that there are most police stations with a person like nobby - and once it was a clear nobby that told him so! lol i think that's so funny cos i think i may be related to a nobby myself lol!
  7. mr_scrub New Member

I don't see how ANYONE could look like Nobby.
  8. mr_scrub New Member

Or A Nobby anyway
  9. Buzzfloyd Spelling Bee

Even a runty, randy lizard with a wind problem?
  10. mr_scrub New Member

Even that. Nobody could match Nobbys smell or skin colour.
  11. mr_scrub New Member

In Night Watch Vimes says that Nobby was obviously an only child "No parent could see Nobby in a cradle and want to have another go"
  12. Angua_rox New Member

I love that quote.
  13. mr_scrub New Member

I know its really funny. Another good one from Night Watch is "No feature on his face is more than passably ugly but the combination is greater than the sum of parts".
  14. Angua_rox New Member

Hehe. Yup, that's good!
  15. mr_scrub New Member

Edited

How many people are in Nobbys family anyway. The ones that I can remember are:

1. His brother who may or may not exist (Possibly Trousers of Time)
    2. His cousin Vincent who was "done" for indecently assaulting the Dowager Duchess of Quirm's scullery maid. (Feet of Clay)
    3. His father Sconner, an alcoholic and violent
    4. His mother
    5. His grandfather Slope

Slight spoiler from Feet of Clay

6. [color=white:14c3170716]Possibly the Earl of Ankh[/color:14c3170716]
    7. One of his uncles/cousins was a sailor until he was press-ganged. ( Jingo or Guards, Guards.
    Please tell me I would like to make a list for some strange, evil reason of my own.
  16. Angua_rox New Member

Wow. Either you have an indecently good memory, or you have the books beside you.
    I can think of. . . uh. . . . . .

#thinks very hard#
  17. mr_scrub New Member

Actually I have a good memory of them cos ive read Feet of Clay 4 times at least. But for some reason i can't remember any really good quotes except for the two I just posted an "We're on a mission from Glod." That ones my fave.
  18. Hsing Moderator

Some of my favourite books provide no brilliant quotes at all... That doesn't mean much. And Angua_rox is right, that's knowing your Pratchett by heart.
  19. mr_scrub New Member

Yeah i guess. Also Happy New Year, its about an hour and a half after here and i just got back from a party.