Which book(s) are you currently reading?

Discussion in 'BOARDANIA' started by Roman_K, Aug 18, 2005.

1. Sir_Vaims New Member

i will be starting The Art of The Discworld shortly!
  2. Faerie New Member

I've started On A Pale Horse by Piers Anthony. It's part of the Incarnation's of Immortality series which also includes Bearing an Hourglass, With a Tangled Skein, Wielding a Red Sword, Being a Green Mother, For Love of Evil, and And Eternity.
  3. Katcal I Aten't French !

I'm reading Maskerade again... makes me want to try out some of those Ogg recipes in the Joye of Snackes... :lol:
  4. TamyraMcG Active Member

I think Incarnations is my favorite Anthony series, with the Bio of a Space Tyrant a very close second, but I will read anything by him once. Even Isle of Woman.
  5. peapod_j New Member

im reading a pratchett at the moment "mosterance Regament" this is the third time i have read it i love it because it is a take off of the army and im from a air force / navy family :)
  6. scif1girl New Member

I'm almost exactly in the middle of Monstrous Regiment. To me it parodies all of those books (and manga's, come to think of it) where girls enter some kind of all-guy society. Along that line I've read the Alanna series by Tamora Peirce (though that was a long time ago) and more recently Hana-Kimi (that's a manga, I don't remember and wouldn't try pronouncing the mangaka).
  7. Pepster New Member

Not yet, its in the mail.
  8. Darth_Bemblebee New Member

Well i should be reading a biography of Stalin. Thinking about it, i should maybe first be buying a biography of Stalin.

In actual physical literal reality i appear to be reading Reaper Man yet again. But it's so good!! And as much as i appreciate the subtlety of his later works, the earlier books have a wonderfully refreshing quick humour thang going on, that you can't help but love. Even if the characters are rather dragged along by the plot, as opposed to the other way around.

I've been wanting to get my hands on American Gods for a while, Gaiman's a genius. Even if the guy does have a rather unfortunate name. Can't have been fun at school :oops:
  9. Rincewind Number One Doorman

It's fuckin' awsome.
  10. fairyliquid New Member

Agreed, amazing book!

Anyone who hasn't already...should pick it up immediately (sp?)
  11. Roman_K New Member

American Gods is a good book, but the end was a bit on the lame side. It feels like Gaiman just ran out of steam, come the finish.
  12. Hermia New Member

I've finally got around to continuing my Pterry education! My mother thrust Moving Pictures at me, which I confess I'm finding disappointingly easy to put down. But so far I much prefer the Witches and Death books, so I guess that's not surprising.
  13. Roman_K New Member

Picked up King Pinch by David Cook, a Forgotten Realms novel. Not bad, not bad at all. I had a few issues with the book, which felt a bit rushed, but it was a good book overall.

Currently rereading Weasel's Luck by Michael Williams, a Dragonlance novel. A personal favourite.
  14. Katcal I Aten't French !

Does "the Zen of CSS Design" count ? I know it's a technical book, but it's actually very interesting, and not just because I had the pleasure of meeting co-writer Molly Holzschlag. :D I really must get some work done...

(edited to add a word I missed out in the title :D )
  15. peapod_j New Member

im reading cape jugulum an the moment but once i have finshed it thats no more reading for me for a wile because i hve exams to pass in the summer and im in the middle of my mocks so i have to cut down my reding if i want to pass my exams :?
  16. Electric_Man Templar

I just finished Harlan Coben's "The Innocent". Great book, I thought I'd figured it out, but then there was more that I just hadn't seen coming but nevertheless kicked myself for not seeing.
  17. Katcal I Aten't French !

Finally got around to finishing the last 3 pages of Pyramids that Had been hanging around for over a week. Started Guards ! Guards ! for the Nth time.

I have just realised that the character I played in the werewolf game actually exists !! The lady at the vegetable shop who oppresses poor Brother Doorkeeper !!! That was me !!! I have written myself into a Terry Pratchett book !! Yay for me !! I'm so good I could be a ninja... and a pirate !
  18. Hermia New Member

Admit it, you went back in time and influenced TP, didn't you?
  19. fairyliquid New Member

I'm reading Thud! or just started rather

I recently found a friend that is very much into pterry which is the first I have found other than my english teacher...who has only read 1...

I managed to steal Thud! off of him..it's a signed copy and I would steal it if it wasn't addresed to him...silly personalised signings...
  20. Roman_K New Member

Read Escape from Undermountain by Mark Anthony. Avoid that book. I mean it. Some people should not be allowed to write books. Of course, if you like characters that are flatter than a coin and a plot that's not much better, be my guest.

Also read Realms of Infamy, a Forgotten Realms anthology. Liked it, though Ed Greenwood's story was horrible.

Currently reading another anthology, Realms of Valor. Greenwood's story was just as bad this time, but the rest are very good.
  21. Katcal I Aten't French !

I still haven't received my signed copy of Thud... :cry: :( Someone at the post office must hate me... it's been months now !
  22. drunkymonkey New Member

Lordy.
    I've started reading Northern Lights, but it's irritating. I think it's over hyped myself. I'm enjoying it, and I'm up to page 110, but I kept imagining the Dean to be fat and the Librarian to be an ape.

It's alright, but Discworld is better.
  23. TheJackal Member

I think Northern Lights is a fantastic book; one of the best I've ever read. It's so imaginative and well written.

Philip Pullman is a gifted author & the Dark Lights Trilogy (of which Northern Lights is the 1st book) finally garnered him worldwide appreciation from a wider audience.
  24. Perdita New Member

I enjoyed the first and second books in this trilogy but kind of felt that the third book wandered off the point a bit. All in all a good trilogy however I thought the very end of the third book was a little bit twee to be honest - it was like he was trying to tie up every single loose end and his editor told him him had only ten pages to do it in.

Kind of reminded me of story writing in school. you know when your a kid and your wrist hurts from writing.. oh I don't know.... half an A4 page or something . so you have to finish the story quickly because you can't take any more... I used to use the line ...

'......so then I heard this ringing, I couldn't work out where it was coming from - I felt my body jump in shock and woke with a start. It was then that I realised that it was all a dream'
  25. Mynona Member

I'm currently reading the Spirit of the Fire by Terry Goodkind. I've read his other books earlier, this is 5th in the series, but I needed a breather before I continued. They are all kind of... Heavy.

I'm also reading my usual vampire series and some manga. and most everything else I can get my paws on. I do not, however, read what I should read for Uni. But that's all right because no one else is either.
  26. TheJackal Member

You do realise that little boys & girls, whose stories involve waking up at the end, go to hell :evil:
    Proper authors would probably throttle someone to death with a handy, heavy book for that crime!

Though in saying that, I bet I used it once when I was very young!
  27. Darth_Bemblebee New Member

I recall our primary school teacher becoming quite violent when someone did that once *winces at memory*. Poor girl, they never did find that second arm.....

Interesting comments re Pullman's His Dark Materials trilogy (as i think it's called TheJackel, though it could be Dark Lights. I'm often wrong. *sobs bitterly*). Personally I found the third to be the best of the lot.....deeper, darker, more emotion-led.....it seemed to be the core of the story, which makes little sense, it being at the end, but y'know. Twee??? :shock: It was traumatising, that's what it was!!!!! I was emotionally battered to death by the end of that book. So beautiful though. The Republic of Heaven! Long Live the Revolution! I regret that i have only one life to lay down for whalebone alley! Huzzah!

I'm reading Michel Roberts' Daughters of the House at the moment. Singularly random book. Gorgeous descriptions though.
  28. Sir_Gawain New Member

I'm reading The Last Continent. It wasn't at the top of my reading list, (Don't worry, the ones above it were all Pterry) but then someone mentioned it had drag queens in it...

I don't know... I just found the romance to be be out of place in His Dark Materials. It wasn't there, then all of a sudden it was. It was worked up toa bit, but I didn't even see it hinted at in The Subtle Knife. It seemed a bit off. But the angels were great. ¡Vive los ángeles! A good series on the whole, I just wish the romance wasn't there. Can't people save the world together and wind up just friends? Good Omens and Discworld don't count.
  29. Darth_Bemblebee New Member

The awakening of Lyra and Will's sexuality was the point.......Pullman's saying that the whole concept of original sin, innocence is a virtue and all that jazz is just an age-long method used by the church, etc, to repress humanities true potential. He rewrites the story of eden and eve's 'fall' from grace through the temptation of the snake ( :shock: there's an obvious metaphor if ever you've heard one), and shows it to be not disobediance, but freedom (huzzah!) - with Will and Lyra as Adam and Eve and Mary as the tempter who helps them realise their true selves.........there was even the symbolic fruit if you remember, just it was a red berry, not an apple.
  30. Cynical_Youth New Member

Um, spoiler warnings please. I was hoping to read the final part of the trilogy some day. :)
  31. Sir_Gawain New Member

I know that. But it didn't stop the romance from being off. Maybe Pulman can't write romance, or something, but the emotion felt surreal in a way that the friendship, hate, fear and other emotions in the books didn't. It didn't come to life. There was love between other charactors. I could feel some kind of emotion between Lyra's parents, and between the angels, and between other characters. It wasn't always exactly love, but it came close. And there was definate love between charactors as a sister loves a brother. But Lyra and Will falling in love seemed glossy fairy-landish.
  32. TheJackal Member

Yes, good spot, it is called Dark Materials. Freudian slip there!
  33. KaptenKaries New Member

A work mate just borrowed me Red Dwarf. I've seen one or two episodes of the TV series before. The book seems promising so far.
  34. roisindubh211 New Member

It seems that one of my old flatmates had some Pterry books on hand- they had belonged to her sister who is apparently now a nun (seems she gave up pratchett for the church, after having been so obsessed my friend is still scared to read them ...) So I now have a copy of The Last Hero, Bromeliad Trilogy, and The Amazing Maurice and his Educated Rodents. Can't let myself start reading till I've done some serious work on my end of year essay. 15 pages to write. I'm going to die.

Oh, just read "the Skull Beneath" by PD James; brilliant stuff. My mom's been after me to read her but I only just got round to that one (borrowed it from the above friend, just so y'all know she does indeed have good taste in books; her Pterry aversion is entirely due to the mad sister)
  35. Human New Member

I'm rereading One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest for school. But it's one of my favorite books anyway. OFOCN and Catch-22 are the only classics I've ever actually enjoyed.

All others are merely tolerated.
  36. Just finished book Two of the Wheel of Time by Robert Jordan last night.
    :shock: I'm blown away by this story. The characters are so rich, the plot line is addictive, and the imagery is just incredible. I cant wait to get book 3 in my hands! Even though I have heard from several friends that the story starts to go down hill in the later books, I would still like to read them and form my own opinion about them.
    I need to take a break first and read something lighter for a while. Hm. I have only read Night Watch once, maybe I'll read it again. :)
  37. Victimov8 New Member

Dean Koontz - Lightning, as I was feeling a bit retro. Pretty good story line, and characters
    Nanny Ogg's Cookbook, because I just got it from eBay! Read somewhere that it is no longer in print, so I thought I'd get it while I could
  38. That is my favorite Dean Koontz book of all time!! I love the relationship between Laura and Thelma. Thelma especially reminds me of a close friend of mine. They have similar senses of humor. :lol:

Have you read it before? (Dont want to put up anything that could be a spoiler)
  39. Victimov8 New Member

Quite a few times now - yes, the relationships are nicely done. I've got a few of his others too
  40. Ellistra New Member

Im trying to get around to reading Thud! but SOMEONE *cough*Koshu*cough* wont let me until I finish the Malloreon which I'm only starting book three. Its just so MONOTONOUS!
  41. Angua_rox New Member

Yeah the sub-plots start to repeat. This may be incredibly subtle reference to the whole "wheel of time" thing but it's still annoying!! :)
  42. Saccharissa Stitcher

Finished Catch 22. Trying to regain my interest for The Master and Margarita, but this is difficult since I am on page 170 and neither of them have shown up yet.
  43. Roman_K New Member

I have recently finished reading Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell by Susanna Clarke. A masterpiece. Simply a masterpiece. I have yet to read such a fine blend of a novel set in the Victorian Era with fantasy.

It shall have a seat of honour on my bookshelf, and when I have funds to spare I shall order a hardcover copy, though I must say that the cover of my paperpack is much better.

I am now reading One False Move by Harlan Coben. Not bad, but his later novels were better, in my opinion.
  44. Katcal I Aten't French !

My Dad lent me "The world according to Clarkson" this weekend, I've had a quick flick through, it looks dead funny... and painfully true ! I'll dig into it as soon as I've finished Night Watch.
  45. shadowgirl New Member

just finished "Deep Trouble" by Debi Gliori. It was so good, aimed at teenagers, but I like to believe I'm young at heart!
  46. Victimov8 New Member

I have to admit that I enjoyed this book. It wasn't what I was expecting, but good none the less. I was expecting funny stories, observations and so forth, but I didn't realise that they were extracts from his paper column, and thus each about two pages in length.

Never mind - I laughed anyway :lol:
  47. Rincewind Number One Doorman

I really enjoyed this book, I thought the devil and his little troup, where entertaining and I loved the conversations between Jesus and Potitus Pilot.
  48. Perdita New Member

This is a great book, stick with it Saccharissa, it's well written and the dialogues between the characters are excellent!
  49. TheJackal Member

Perhaps Grisham's writing doesn't have the same spark as he did in the earlier novels, but I think he's still got great ability to come up with interesting plots.

I'm reading The Broker at the moment which is okay; a bit slow to take off.
    I've either read or seen the movie versions of most of his novels: A time to kill, the firm, the pelican brief, the client, the rainmaker, the partner, the street lawyer, the brethren, the summons.

It's amazing how many of his books are films now. Must make a fortune!

Has anyone read A Painted House? I was told it's rubbish.

Edit: The Broker is now offically not an okay book. Read through to the end & nothing exciting really happened. Very disappointed with Mr. Grisham at this time...
  50. DeWorde New Member

At the moment I am mostly reading:
    Skeleton Crew by Stephen King (the novella 'The Mist' to be precise :) )
    Angels & Demons by Dan Brown (that damn Da Vinci code fella! I borrowed that from a friend went out 2 days later and bought his other three novels.I thought Deception Point was even better than Da Vinci code.)
    Oh,and I'm listening to the unabridged audio book of The Last Continent, but if you've seen any of my recent posts you will know this :)
  51. Katcal I Aten't French !

'The Mist' is a great short(ish) story... It gives me the creaps every time I see thick fog ever since I read that !
  52. Roman_K New Member

It never really takes off. There is no excitement. The plot is predictable from the first few pages, and that's the sad truth.

I liked most of those. They still had the spark, especially The Pelican Brief, The Street Lawyer and The Firm.

I heard that rubbish is an understatement. It's a book I plan to avoid.

Brown can write novels that are more than half-decent, but I can't stand the fellow. He exploits the spiritual wants of people for personal gain. The moment that he started hinting that the fictinous events in his book were real, even in part, was the moment I was ashamed of buying Angels & Demons and The Da Vinci Code, and the moment it hit me that The Da Vinci Code's plot was largely stolen from Umberto Eco's Focault's Pendulum.

As for me, I am currently reading Paul Kemp's Midnight's Mask, which is the third book of his Erevis Cale Trilogy. A good fantasy author, in my opinion, and I've read most of his other books in the last week.
  53. Victimov8 New Member

It is pretty dull - unfortunately it was also the first of his that I have read. So far also the last - should I try again with his other books>
  54. TheJackal Member

Yes, Grisham is an excellent author. Apart from his filmed books, I'd recommend The Partner or The Street Lawyer
  55. roisindubh211 New Member

just finished Amazing Maurice, Last Hero, AND the Bromeliad Trilogy.
    (these all from my friend whose sister was throwing out her Pratchett books)
    I really like terry's children's books; they have a very different feel to them in some ways, but there's always the chance of a friendly face popping up, like Death.

The boyfriend was over this week, and I've gotten him officially hooked... :badgrin:
  56. The_Poker New Member

I'm currently reading The Divine Ryans by Wayne Johnston for my English literature course. It's terribly dull.
  57. aegron New Member

I'm currently reading Lord Foul's bane. Very slowgoing.
  58. Roman_K New Member

It's a good book, in it's own way, and a good series as a whole, but it's always slow-paced, and somewhat depressing.
  59. DeWorde New Member

I agree with you that Brown's motives regards the question of the reality of some of his subject material,sir,but I can give or take this personally,in the same way I can give or take a film supposedly basedon a true life story.The mere fiction of the medium itself allows me to suspend my belief and if the story hooks me then I leave politics and spiritualism,residual or otherwise,to one side.The story's the thing! :)

To add to my current list of reading matter I include ACDC:TWO SIDES TO EVERY GLORY.A re issued edition by the late Mark Putterford.A damn fine read about the worlds greatest rock n roll band,particular the chapter regarding the circumtances of the death of the great Bon Scott.

Not so much a case of recommended reading but recommended reading and listening! :D
  60. Katcal I Aten't French !

To Pterry or to you ? :D