Who could play Nobby in a movie ?

Discussion in 'THE WATCH BOOKS' started by Katcal, Mar 10, 2006.

1. Katcal I Aten't French !

I've just been reading Guards! Guards! for the first time in a long while and I must admit that as I read it, I thought back to the discussion on who could play Vimes, and the suggestion of Hugh Laurie, and thought that yes, actually, he would be just right... and then I saw Nobby. Yes, I mean saw him, as in looked in to my brain and there he was sitting, sucking at a dog-end...

And it was Tony Robinson !

I know, you're gonna say I've been overdoing the Blackadder. Well, ok, maybe, but still, Tony (I've watched so much Blackadder we're on doing first-names now) did read many audio books of the diskworld, and although I haven't had a chance to listen to any of them, he has always seemed just right. I guess that by now he's slightly older, I haven't seen him recently, but him in Blackadder is just the way I see Nobby...

Any other suggestions ? (I'll add them in the poll if they're good, 'cos I can't think of anyone else right now...)

(edited for speelng and to see if I could alter the poll, but I can't :( )
  2. drunkymonkey New Member

[quote:c7f8773c7c="Katcal"]I've just been reading Guards! Guards! for the first time in a long while and I must admit that as I read it, I thought back to the discussion on who could play Vimes, and the suggestion of Hugh Laurie, and thought that yes, actually, he would be just right... and then I saw Nobby. Yes, I mean saw him, as in looked in to my brain and there he was sitting, sucking at a dog-end...

And it was Tony Robinson !

I know, you're gonna say I've been overdoing the Blackadder. Well, ok, maybe, but still, Tony (I've watched so much Blackadder we're on doing first-names now) did read many audio books of the diskworld, and although I haven't had a chance to listen to any of them, he has always seemed just right. I guess that by now he's slightly older, I haven't seen him recently, but him in Blackadder is just the way I see Nobby...

Any other suggestions ? (I'll add them in the pole if they're good, 'cos I can't think of anyone else right now...)[/quote:c7f8773c7c]

Hmm, I don't think Tony is the exactly right choice. I reckon Andy Cirkus would be better.
  3. Katcal I Aten't French !

You mean Andy Serkis, aka Gollum, Kong and friends ? Hmmm, why not, but not my personal favourite ;)
  4. drunkymonkey New Member

[quote:6ddbf38e00="Katcal"]You mean Andy Serkis, aka Gollum, Kong and friends ? Hmmm, why not, but not my personal favourite ;)[/quote:6ddbf38e00]

Yeah, him.
  5. Angua_rox New Member

i think computer generation is the only way. However since Nobby has the whole certificate of humanity thing it may be hard to show that he is a human without making him look too human, if ya get what I mean
  6. Cynical_Youth New Member

I think Tony Robinson would be a great choice, if only for the Blackadderesque atmosphere he would bring with him.

Andy Serkis would probably be able to play a more accurate Nobby, though.

I've seen Steve Buscemi suggested for Nobby a couple of times, btw.
  7. Hsing Moderator

Nnnnooooooooo... not Steve Buscemi.
    He could play Teatime maybe? Or something else? I mean, Nobby may radiate a lot of things, but one of them is, you know, a kind of harmlessness... he doesn't have that edge... I hope I make sense.
  8. Katcal I Aten't French !

Oh yeah ? tell that to all the guys he's kicked in the wossnames...
  9. Hsing Moderator

Aw, from the point of view of a woman without wossnames, that's just a cute little habit.
  10. Angua_rox New Member

yeah, bless his cotton socks! Also he wouldn't have been able to kick so many people in the wossnames if he hadn't looked at least a little harmless!
  11. Katcal I Aten't French !

Well, if you remember, he only did it when they had already been knocked out cold by someone else... :D
  12. Angua_rox New Member

[quote:05f6490105="Katcal"]Well, if you remember, he only did it when they had already been knocked out cold by someone else... :D[/quote:05f6490105]

That is true. . . . but I still don't think that he should radiate danger or anuthing because that could make him appear far too. . . I'm not sure. . . competent? I know he can be competent at pick pocketing etc but if you look at his background he always took the path of least resistance. . .
  13. Katcal I Aten't French !

No, Nobby is not dangerous, he's malignant, like a disease. Or like Doors.
  14. have any of you ever seen a British TV program called "The Brittas Empire" Its a comedy starring Rimmer from Red Dwarf. There was a guy in that show called Colin (played superbly by Mike Burns) and as far as i am concerned he IS nobby nobbs
  15. Katcal I Aten't French !

Colin the guy who kept getting injured by Brittas ? Hummm... yeah, at least he'd be in the right age-span for Nobby, whereas Tony Robinson wouldn't be any more...

I was just reading Night Watch, and Vimes describing young Nobby, saying he wasn't actually bad, that he'd steal small things, kick people in tender places, and generally be daft, but that "you could trust him with your life, although you'd be stupid to trust him with a dollar", so I guess that settles the evil-nobby question :D
  16. Angua_rox New Member

Thank you Katcal! I couldn't think of the ing word! Yeah, Nobby isn't evil. Malignant is perfect, Nobby isn't malign or anything.
  17. tanatie New Member

how about tim roth? he's a kind of steve buscemi without that crazy psycho edge...
  18. peapod_j New Member

Defanantly Tony Robinson hes short and he looks and sounds the part.
  19. Watchman New Member

Young Tony Robinson for sure, but these days? Saw him on television yesterday presenting his show 'Worst Jobs in the City' and he's really starting to show his age sadly :(
  20. Katcal I Aten't French !

[quote:7f44d24d75="Watchman"]Young Tony Robinson for sure, but these days? Saw him on television yesterday presenting his show 'Worst Jobs in the City' and he's really starting to show his age sadly :([/quote:7f44d24d75]
    Yep, quite my point at first... in Blackadder the 3rd he was perfect, alas, now he would be to old to be Nobby... :( But in an ideal world...
  21. tanatie New Member

is it just me or dooes everyone fix themself on british actors only?
  22. Hsing Moderator

I suppose everyone "casts" with a real film in mind, which would probably be filmed in English, except og just imagining how people would look in those roles independantly from wether it would work in reality or not... And we seem to imagine the majority of Ankh Morporkians -or Discworlders- British in some way, unless they are recognizably inspired by another country, such as Genua, Überwald, etc...

And if we're quite honest, everyone more or less knows actors from English or US films, whereas me enthusiastically recommending Dominique Horwitz as, say, Nobby or Rincewind wouldn't spark much of a discussion, no matter how good he'd fit.

On the other side, that's the benefit of the internet - you can recommend totally unkbown local actors, and provide a pic.
  23. tanatie New Member

well I meant english speaking actors, just not only british but american too...mostly the ones mentioned are british...and while there's nothing wrong with them I can't really comment much, because I haven't seen most of them work...
  24. Katcal I Aten't French !

Well suggest some of your own, please feel free ! (if you can add a photo, it would help ;)) I think it's basically for the same reason as the fact that you don't recognize them... we imagine the people we are used to seeing, and I'm sure if any French person was actually capable of proper acting, I could think of a few French actors... :cooler:
  25. The_Red_Avenger New Member

Melvyn Hayes - okay a bit old but he plays Nobby on the BBC version of Guards! Guards! and he's spot on.

Oh and since he's in Hogfather - we should find out pretty soon enough.
    RA
  26. tanatie New Member

[img:7d6dcd9649]http://www.chloesevigny.com/chloe_pictures/isa_santamonica.jpg[/img:7d6dcd9649]
    well I already mentioned tim roth as the non-psycho alternative for steve buscemi...that's about it for now...
  27. wannabenanny New Member

nahI'm still thinking Steve Buscemi ,really teatime is more a Gary Oldman .and as to Ankmorpork being english ,hello can no one see the similarities to florence? i.e. the Medici's and so on?
  28. Electric_Man Templar

[quote:242245d47b="wannabenanny"]and as to Ankmorpork being english ,hello can no one see the similarities to florence? i.e. the Medici's and so on?[/quote:242245d47b]

Ankh-Morpork is a melting pot of cultures, both in the normal sense of the word (Humans, Trolls, Dwarfs, Undead etc.) and in the way the city is written. Many people from many cities around the world have said, "That bit's from my city!". Which, I believe, is intentional on Terry's part.

Nevertheless, the general consensus is that Ankh-Morpork is mainly english, in particular London, with other bits thrown in.
  29. Hsing Moderator

True.
    He stated, so far, York, London, Prague, Tallinn, New York, ... I'm sure I forgot quite a few. :)
  30. Silvermoth New Member

Mackenzie Crook as Nobby Nobbs.
    [img:e8ddf101b6]http://www.theage.com.au/ffximage/2004/12/10/crook,0.jpg[/img:e8ddf101b6]
    ________
    How to roll a joint
  31. Katcal I Aten't French !

Oooh yes !! I didn't know him, but he certainly looks the part !
  32. Candeleena New Member

33. Katcal I Aten't French !

I know Ron Perlman, and he's a great actor, but he is certainly no Nobby :shock: He has a "great" face, but he's the wrong size, shape and age for Nobby... I mean, Nobby Hellboy ? :oops:
  34. Hsing Moderator

Silvermoth, great suggestion!

And Ron Perlman? He towers over most of his colleagues... at least he seems to be. I am sure there is some role in the DW universe for him, but not [i:235259b8f8]Nobby[/i:235259b8f8]!
  35. Silvermoth New Member

36. Katcal I Aten't French !

[quote:811922a0ac="Hsing"]Silvermoth, great suggestion!

And Ron Perlman? He towers over most of his colleagues... at least he seems to be. I am sure there is some role in the DW universe for him, but not [i:811922a0ac]Nobby[/i:811922a0ac]![/quote:811922a0ac]
    I'd vote for Detritus :D Or one of the barbarians... Wait a few years and he could do Cohen :D
  37. Silvermoth New Member

[quote:751820a01c="Katcal"][quote:751820a01c="Hsing"]Silvermoth, great suggestion!

And Ron Perlman? He towers over most of his colleagues... at least he seems to be. I am sure there is some role in the DW universe for him, but not [i:751820a01c]Nobby[/i:751820a01c]![/quote:751820a01c]
    I'd vote for Detritus :D Or one of the barbarians... Wait a few years and he could do Cohen :D[/quote:751820a01c]

Yeah I thought of Cohen as well but I always pictured Vinnie Johns as Detritus.
    ________
    Laguna Bay Condominium
  38. dididave New Member

Got to be Christoper Eccleston. Hes got the look for it and the personality to pull it off.
  39. Pixel New Member

I voted "Someone Else" with no thoughts as to who could do it, but simply because Tony Robinson will always be Baldrick to all Blackadder fans, and the parts are just too similar. (Thinking about that, a weird (or even wyrd) thought crossed my mind - how about Tony Robinson as Dr Who?)
  40. dididave New Member

He would be the most eclectic Doctor ever. Like Tom Baker on speed!
  41. Katcal I Aten't French !

Damn you pixel... The vision of him in that part just flashed past my eyes... it'll take me ages to get read of that !! **smites pixel**
  42. Rincewind Number One Doorman

[quote:693e7608bb="Silvermoth"][quote:693e7608bb="Hsing"]Silvermoth, great suggestion!

[/quote:693e7608bb]

Thanks![/quote:693e7608bb]

The guy you suggested (who's name I can't spell) would be perfect. Espiecally if you've seen his very pratchett performance in PotC.
  43. Pixel New Member

[quote:27c0bf9673="Katcal"]Damn you pixel... The vision of him in that part just flashed past my eyes... it'll take me ages to get read of that !! **smites pixel**[/quote:27c0bf9673]
    *Pixel says "Ouch - I thought you were on the side of small ginger cats!"*
  44. Katcal I Aten't French !

Only oppressed ones. Now I have oppressed you, I am on your side :D
  45. pfft New Member

Does anyone think that old guy in Stepto & Son (can't remember his name), would have been good as Nobby? Of course, the fact that he's been wearing a wooden overcoat for quite some time now could present some problems! Oh well, just a thought.
  46. Stercus Stercus New Member

Wilfred Bramble would be far too old (If he was still with us of course). Nobby is younger than vimes and colon.
  47. Buzzfloyd Spelling Bee

Nice casting though.
  48. DWMF New Member

Christopher Ryan - he played Dave Hedgehog in an episode of Bottom.
  49. PaperWings New Member

Maybe I have a very different image of Nobby from every one else but Mackenzie Crook is too tall and skinny for Nobby.
    Not that I can suggest anyone better. Although Mr Tony Robinson as Baldrick would be pretty good, I must admit.
  50. Gypsy New Member

I have to say Tony Robinson has to be my choice too although I haven't seem him play anything but Baldrick (Blackadder) or himself (Dirty Jobs?). How do you make a human look like they need papers to prove they're human?
  51. DWMF New Member

Who was the guy who played Pippin in LOTR? Dominic Monaghan.

He would have to be dirtied up, of couse. But would he be too young looking? I get the feeling that Nobby has been smoking since the age of two, and has a skin to show this.
  52. PaperWings New Member

CGI and make up are wonderful things, they can make any one look like anything... For example Bill Nighly as Davey Jones in PotC 2&3....

Dominic Monaghan would look to young and is too good looking... you can certainly tell that he's human... although with make up and stuff anyone is a possibility.
  53. DEATHOFRATS New Member

You could probably train a monkey...
  54. trees New Member

About Nobbys age - I have thought of him as someone who looked elderly just after he left his teens - but can still show a good turn of speed if there is trouble about.