Who Could Play Rincewind in a Movie?

Discussion in 'THE WIZARD BOOKS' started by ArthurDent, Aug 23, 2005.

1. ArthurDent New Member

Sorry for another casting thread, but it's a lot of fun. Any way my vote goes to Simon Pegg.
  2. Hansi New Member

Hell yeah Simon Pegg all the way, I don't thing you could find anyone better to play Rincewind.
  3. Maljonic Administrator

I actually think Steve Coogan might be pretty good at this; just watched Around the World in 80 Days recently with him and Jackie Chan in it, I could easily picture him as Rincewind. :)
  4. sleepy_sarge New Member

Eric Idle for me - at any age. Only partly because of the PC game, and really mostly because of his portrayal as Sir Robin the Not-Quite-So-Brave-as-Sir Launcelot in "Monty Python and the Holy Grail"

Minstrel: [singing] Brave Sir Robin ran away...
    Sir Robin: *No!*
    Minstrel: [singing] bravely ran away away...
    Sir Robin: *I didn't!*
    Minstrel: [singing] When danger reared its ugly head, he bravely turned his tail and fled. Yes, brave Sir Robin turned about, and valiantly, he chickened out. Bravely taking to his feet, he beat a very brave retreat. A brave retreat by brave Sir Robin.
  5. drunkymonkey New Member

I voted Simon Pegg, butnowI think about it, Eric Idle would have been great to do it, but then again, that isn't being realistic to who wuld play it now.
  6. sleepy_sarge New Member

[quote:67ba5c7483="drunkymonkey"]I voted Simon Pegg, butnowI think about it, Eric Idle would have been great to do it, but then again, that isn't being realistic to who wuld play it now.[/quote:67ba5c7483]

That's the first (and probably the last) time I've seen the words "realistic" and "Rincewind" in the same sentence. :D
  7. drunkymonkey New Member

[quote:fdee5b088e="sleepy_sarge"][quote:fdee5b088e="drunkymonkey"]I voted Simon Pegg, butnowI think about it, Eric Idle would have been great to do it, but then again, that isn't being realistic to who wuld play it now.[/quote:fdee5b088e]

That's the first (and probably the last) time I've seen the words "realistic" and "Rincewind" in the same sentence. :D[/quote:fdee5b088e]
    ah, but rincewind hasn't in the sentence?
  8. sleepy_sarge New Member

[quote:564e3ee401="drunkymonkey"]

ah, but rincewind hasn't in the sentence?[/quote:564e3ee401]

Hah - ran off when I wasn't looking - as usual
  9. fudgecake New Member

[quote:fe48d9a68c="sleepy_sarge"]Hah - ran off when I wasn't looking - as usual[/quote:fe48d9a68c]

lol!! :lol:

Anyway, yes, I think Eric Idle would have been great when he was younger. But for now, how about Rincewind from these boards? From what I saw on the lookalikes thread there's a certain similarity there... :D
  10. sleepy_sarge New Member

[quote:c817ebc200="fudgecake"][quote:c817ebc200="sleepy_sarge"]Hah - ran off when I wasn't looking - as usual[/quote:c817ebc200]

lol!! :lol:

Anyway, yes, I think Eric Idle would have been great when he was younger. But for now, how about Rincewind from these boards? From what I saw on the lookalikes thread there's a certain similarity there... :D[/quote:c817ebc200]

LOL well you said it first - so make sure you get the agent's fee when he signs his contract!
  11. fudgecake New Member

Yes! You can be my witness! Would you be willing to swear in court that I had the idea? :p

lol!!
  12. sleepy_sarge New Member

[quote:f20275841d="fudgecake"]Yes! You can be my witness! Would you be willing to swear in court that I had the idea? :p

lol!![/quote:f20275841d]

Bob and I will both do that - although Bob isn't very happy about it ;)
  13. fudgecake New Member

[quote:c389247ea4="sleepy_sarge"]Bob and I will both do that - although Bob isn't very happy about it ;)[/quote:c389247ea4]

Well that's just shocking. Bob, unhappy? You HAVE to be joking. :lol:
  14. Rincewind Number One Doorman

lol, you guys!

Sadly, those my acting skills aren't up for it. Besides, I only looked like him during a night of heavy drinking, so you'd have to keep me tanked up throught the shoot.......on second thoughts I'M YOUR MAN!

Simon Pegg, though a brillant actor, isn't right for the part.

Stevet Coogan would be good, though he tends to play everyone as alan Partrigde these days (Alan P is wicked but not for rincewind)

A young Eric Idle, would be perfect.
  15. OmKranti Yogi Wench

I know, we could build a time transport modulaor space time continuem bender thingie and transport Eric Idle back to the future and have him play the part. It's bloody brillig.
  16. fudgecake New Member

Perfect OmKranti... you get right on that... :D

Maybe Bob could act it. It might cheer him up to be a famous Hollywood actor. :D

[img:a7682dcace]http://img387.imageshack.us/img387/3064/rinso9zw.png[/img:a7682dcace]

Oh come on now, that is just COOL...
  17. drunkymonkey New Member

[quote:1f96678933="Rincewind"]lol, you guys!

Sadly, those my acting skills aren't up for it. Besides, I only looked like him during a night of heavy drinking, so you'd have to keep me tanked up throught the shoot.......on second thoughts I'M YOUR MAN!

Simon Pegg, though a brillant actor, isn't right for the part.

Stevet Coogan would be good, though he tends to play everyone as alan Partrigde these days (Alan P is wicked but not for rincewind)

A young Eric Idle, would be perfect.[/quote:1f96678933]
    so it's settled then, if a discworld movie was made twnety years ago, it would be eric, but now it would be you.
  18. colonesque10 New Member

Cool Bob, fudgecake. :D

I agree that a young Eric Idle would be ideal (pun) but I would also like to see maybe the really nervous guy called geoff from 'Coupling' do it. :)
  19. sleepy_sarge New Member

[quote:afd36ad953="colonesque10"]Cool Bob, fudgecake. :D

I agree that a young Eric Idle would be ideal (pun) but I would also like to see maybe the really nervous guy called geoff from 'Coupling' do it. :)[/quote:afd36ad953]

What a good suggestion! Never thought of him, but I can see it working
    (Richard Coyle is his name according to http://imdb.com/title/tt0237123/
  20. Electric_Man Templar

Whilst we're going to the past, I think Graham Chapman would be much better than Eric Idle. Think of Brian and tell me that isn't Rincewind-esque!
  21. fudgecake New Member

[quote:ef89a3bd08="Electric_Man"]Whilst we're going to the past, I think Graham Chapman would be much better than Eric Idle. Think of Brian and tell me that isn't Rincewind-esque![/quote:ef89a3bd08]

lol, I didn't think of that. Brian basically is Rincewind after a drastic beard-cut. :lol:

I still vote for Bob though.
  22. colonesque10 New Member

[quote:077f3c4450="sleepy_sarge"]What a good suggestion! Never thought of him, but I can see it working
    (Richard Coyle is his name according to http://imdb.com/title/tt0237123/[/quote:077f3c4450]

Cheers Sleepy_Sarge, I knew he had a real name somewhere. :D

Brian from the film is perfect for Rinso as well. There are so many people though who could play him well. :)
  23. Rincewind Number One Doorman

Brian from 'Spaced'. Would be the best Rincewind.

http://www.spaced-out.org.uk/images/mark.jpg

He's called Mark Heap (he was also in big train and the green wing) he'd be perfect for the role. He's a great comic actor and looks just like him.
  24. ArthurDent New Member

A young Bill Nighy would of made a good Rincewind
  25. gladius New Member

I voted "someone else" and I think Adrien Brody would be a great Rincewind, due to his constant "Let me in peace!" expression.
  26. Ruka New Member

I think I'd go with Eric Idle. It could just be due to his work in the games, though, that got me. o.o;
  27. Sinister_the_Pink New Member

[quote:bfff59aba9="colonesque10"]Eric Idle would be ideal (pun)[/quote:bfff59aba9]

... Well, isn't "Idle" pronounced the same as "idle", as in "not in use"? I mean, "After Monty Python, Eric Idle has been very idle in his work." would work, but not "Eric Idle would be ideal".

Sorry, just being very nit-picking at the moment. :oops:

Edit: My idea of the movie/s is to do some a different way sort of thing. One would be live action, one cartoon, one claymation and so on. It would be very interesting.
  28. Sir_Vaims New Member

Steve Coogan will be a fine choice. he was great in Aroun the World in 80 days
  29. tanatie New Member

I voted Eric Idle, simply because I dnot know anyone else...I think Steve Buscemi with long grey hair and a long white (although a bit thin and scruffy) beard and a cowardly personality would be great...
  30. edster New Member

from Shaun of the Dead simon pegg as Rincewind would be great
    he just needs a longer beard
  31. boggon New Member

Well who would play Twoflower (if it was a film of CoM) oubviously The Luggage would be CGI. And Great A'Tuin the Turtle and the elephants would be CGI.
  32. Angua_rox New Member

It's just so hard to find decent actors who can play small wooden boxes. . . . .
  33. boggon New Member

[quote:786578db61="Angua_rox"]It's just so hard to find decent actors who can play small wooden boxes. . . . .[/quote:786578db61]

yeah..lol
  34. The_Red_Avenger New Member

Well if all goes well we'll find out pretty soon enough, according to those in the know.

Anyway here are a few canditates for Rincewind.

Eric Idle - I think he could still do it - there is no age limit on Rincewind - he's been a failed Wizard a long time.

Ralf Little - a huge Pratchett fan by the way. Expect him to turn up in one adaptation soon enough. Possibly as Victor Tugelbend when they do Moving Pictures, if they ever do.

Nicholas Lyndhurst - yes I actually think he could do it.

Martin Clunes - he has that "sarcastic wit!" needed.

Hugh Laurie - Definitely a canditate. Actually he could do Vimes - in English "House" mode. A very versitile actor and no stranger to comedy.

Isn't it great to speculate now that Terry has agreed to live action adaptations.

Colour of Magic/Light Fantastic next so the very strong rumours go.
    RA
  35. jarmara New Member

I voted Simon Pegg as best of the options, do I take it that all of Eric Idle's supporters have never played the Discworld 1 or 2 PC games? If Eric played Rincewind and uttered 'That Doesn't Work' at any point, I'd shoot the screen out, I swear!

As an aside, and a bit of controversy - I was watching the Serenity movie yesterday and it occured to me that Chiwetel Ejiofor would play a stunning Vetinari....

Ok, shoot me now.
  36. Buzzfloyd Spelling Bee

Interesting idea, but I think he's far too young-looking.
  37. jarmara New Member

Meh, age make-up is a wonderful thing.
  38. NannyOgg New Member

Apart from Eric Idle I don't know any of the above.

What about Mackenzie Crook?

[img:91b37e0cca]http://www.theage.com.au/ffximage/2004/12/10/crook,0.jpg[/img:91b37e0cca]
  39. Buzzfloyd Spelling Bee

I'd thought of him for Nobby, but not for Rincewind before. But I think there's definitely something there...
  40. NannyOgg New Member

He's a good actor, I think he could do it. And especially for the looks. :eek:
  41. mozphoto New Member

Well, the question is now moot.

Sir David Jason is now playing Rincewind.

Lousy choice as far as I'm concerned. First of all, he played Albert. Secondly, if Paul Kidby's art is an accurate indicator, Rincewind should be lanky and somewehere in his 30's. Jason is dumpy and somewhere in his, what, 70's?

It's also been stated that they are trying to get a well known American actor so that the movie will be more easily marketable in the States.

Why do I have this horrible feeling that George Takei is going to play Twoflower?
  42. Katcal I Aten't French !

Plus, as someone pointed out on the other thread about this film, how fast can he run ? (he's 67 by the way ;) )
  43. pfft New Member

Me of course!!! Only I could be as cynical and unlucky as this man!!! By the way i always saw Sir David Jason more as Sir Sam Vimes, (maybe it's the Inspector Frost series!) David Tennant or Rhys Ifans for Rincewind?

(If i didn't have BAD luck, i wouldn't have ANY luck at all!)
  44. Sunna New Member

45. Buzzfloyd Spelling Bee

Who the hell he?
  46. Katcal I Aten't French !

47. Sunna New Member

he did Charlie's Angel 2 among other things
  48. Mike Sallows New Member

Simon pegg for sure
  49. Pinkystupot New Member

I admit Eric Idle would have made a fantastic Rincewind when he was young, hes perhaps a little too old now. What about Richard Coyle from Coupling?
  50. Katcal I Aten't French !

BBC - Coupling - Richard Coyle

Yeah, he's not such a bad idea, right age, right shape, and good at playing loosers... I enjoyed that series too, great sense of humour...
  51. Pinkystupot New Member

yer. hes funny and hes got the right face for it lol
  52. Hsing Moderator

Hm... You all seem to imagine Rincewind much younger than I do...

According to the timeline L-Space worked out for the Discworld series - not that PTerry sticks to a timeline, especially not in the early books, but its closer to making "sense" than anything I could come up with-:
    Rincewind is about 32 at the events of Colour of Magic, and 56 by the time The Last Continent takes place; take away a few years he spent in the Dungeon Dimensions or other places where time might or might not exist, but he still doesn't look that young even in the early books... He is not a student, or apprentice, after all, he is a "failed wizard" by the time of CoM.
  53. Pinkystupot New Member

fair point! i dont know how you worked out his age but he did spend a while like aging i spose. eric idle could do it after all!
  54. Hsing Moderator

55. Pinkystupot New Member

YES Rhys Ifans would be perfect. if you look at the illustrations he does look like him, quite sunken in skin etc. i duno about crispin clover as vetinari, i think he could be played by Hugh Fraser/Frasier, whos in poirot and sharpe? sorry this is in reply to a post on page 3
  56. bazstar New Member

There is no reason Eric iDle couldnt play him now, the character isnt young and has a beard anyway so he would be perfect for the part still.
  57. Hsing Moderator

I'm still trying to figure someone out who looks more like the wizard in "The Last Unicorn", only aged enough (and not beardless).