York Mystery Plays

Discussion in 'BOARDANIA' started by Maljonic, Oct 2, 2006.

1. Maljonic Administrator

I added all these mystery plays to a site about York a couple of weeks ago:

http://www.locationyork.co.uk/content/category/6/19/61/

They're a sort of retelling of the bible in a bizarre medieval/Shakesperean type series of tiny plays. Each guild in York, similar to the ones in Ankh Morpork but without the magic (usually), would perform their own little section of the bible, some only lasting about two or three minutes, I think the longest is about ten minutes, on these funny little wagons called pageants. They were revived in 1951 and are still going in York now.

They make quite funny reading I think, it was a Hell of a job spell-checking it, and I was going to PM Grace to see if she wanted to read them, but figured others might be interested too.

Also I wanted to ask if they have stuff like this in your part of the world? I think they used to have something similar in Italy, and maybe in other parts of England?
  2. Buzzfloyd Spelling Bee

Aha! I've heard about these from my mother. I shall bookmark them for reading.
  3. inwig New Member

Thanks Maljonic. It's good to have some place that proves it is keeping history thriving. Not many people now could be bothered.