keeping up with Katcal

Discussion in 'THE TEMPLE' started by Garner, Jun 13, 2007.

1. Garner Great God and Founding Father

just a thought on this one, is there any sensible way to let the other sweepers know when one of us deals with a spam thread or the like?
  2. Rincewind Number One Doorman

If we get the shout box back (dunno if it is possible for this system or whatnot) the sweepers could should use that...
  3. Hsing Moderator

I've thought so too. I have editing parallelly to another mod at least one thread, its a little confusing.
    What would help me much more, though, is a standardized protocoll of what we do with those spam threads (who are absolutely! clearly spam), to make sure the content is deleted, that no other Board Members post in them (as has recently happened) and that they dissapear out of sight.
  4. Maljonic Administrator

The shoutboxes available for this site's software aren't as good as the one we had before, it's one of the only things I miss about the old software. I suppose we could label stuff as "dealt with by whoever" or something similar. Although if we always remove any links and replace them with <removed spam> or something then we'd know someone has done something with it. Although they do get sent to the DDs anyway so I'm not sure what else we can do regarding two people dealing with it at once.

Anyway I think blatent pawn spam and get rich quick scemes etc should be deleted on sight, just the ones that are linking to their not-so-horrible websites but have obviously joined for that purpose should go to the DDs and have their link removed. Or, if it's easier, you could just delete them, all on sight - that only takes a second and you don't need to bother editing then, also they can be undeleted if it was a mistake.
  5. Katcal I Aten't French !

Surely the fact that the posts are no longer there marks them as deleted ? Or am I the only one to get this point ? :biggrin:
  6. Maljonic Administrator

Well this has not happened to me yet, but I think Hsing and Garner mean that sometimes they are editing out unwanted links etc only to find someone has deleted or moved the post by the time they save it.

If we just delete them all right away and not bother with the edits then post their names so they can be removed I think this wont be a problem.

I think it might be better if the DDs are only for redundant discussions, locked flame wars and the like, or threads where we are not sure if it is spam or not, otherwise it will be just thousands of old spam posts that are no use to anyone.
  7. Katcal I Aten't French !

We don't even have decent flame wars anymore... :sad:
  8. Garner Great God and Founding Father

we tried to have a flame war recently. a pretend one. all that happened was that some people got genuinely upset, other people didn't realize it was supposed to be a game, and most of the people participating didn't actually participate.

flame wars SUCK.

as for keeping up with katcal, i never know where to even look for the threads she reports. so, has it been dealt with, or am i just too thick to see it?

as for what to do with threads, my suggested protocol (and the protocol i've been using thus far) is simple:

1) Delete any links within the post.
    2) Close the thread.
    3) Move the thread to the dungeon dimensions with no redirect.
    4) If particularly noteworthy, post in the Temple to ensure the matter is brought to Mal's attention.

the reasoning is thusly:

1) To thwart their spammy purposes
    2) To keep people from replying by mistake
    3) To get it out of sight so the site looks nice and cozy
    4) To get the spammer's account dealt with.

you'll note that i don't delete the posts. This is to ensure that if the spammer wasn't actually a spammer that their post can be recovered if needed (just in the case of accidents, really, though i think we're all careful enough not to have that sort of misunderstanding in the first place) and to provide evidence for why the account was terminated.
  9. Hsing Moderator

Also, i find only the option for "soft deletion" and can't change it; that means, when I delete a post without editing it, you can still access it from its link on the main site, and the links are still there.
  10. Maljonic Administrator

No one but mods and admins can see soft deleted posts.
  11. redneck New Member

Just curious, but is there any way that just regular folks (like me) can delete spam? The webcamgirls thing just popped up in Boardania and I was wondering if I could delete it before anyone posted in it. I didn't see any way to, but I may have just been missing something.

I guess the main thing I was wondering is if anyone outside western Europe's time zone has the ability to do this.
  12. Maljonic Administrator

Ba has the power.

Only moderators can delete posts, we could make more if it gets worse but I think we're doing all right.
  13. redneck New Member

My god. I had forgotten about my god. I'm so ashamed.

You guys have been doing a great job. I was really just curious.