Screen Size Question

Discussion in 'THE TEMPLE' started by Kat_in_the_Hat, Aug 20, 2005.

1. Kat_in_the_Hat New Member

I just have a question...the boards are too long for my computer screen. That means I either have to scroll as I'm reading or try to figure out what everyone wrote by their use of prepostions (an intersting hobby, I'm getting quite good ;)) It's not a big deal, really, I just wondered if there's anything I can do?
  2. Saccharissa Stitcher

If there is, I would like to know it too. I like having a bookmark sidebar on my browser window and while the HC site was changing to fit, now I have to either get rid of the sidebar or scroll from side to side.
  3. fairyliquid New Member

this is for xp but should be similar on other windows

right click on the desktop and click on properties(alternatively open the control panel and open 'display')

click on the settings toolbar option at the top

there will be a screen resolution bar, change the screen resolution to 1024x768 pixels

yours is probably set to 800 X 600 right now. You'll find a lot of web pages easier to view as most people have their screen set to this. It baisically means there is more able to fit on the screen though a lot of your icons will seem smaller. It always looks strange when you first change it but it does make things easier...just say if you can't get it to work
  4. Garner Great God and Founding Father

older computers might not be able to display higher resolutions, and some people simply don't like them to begin with.

if mal can recode the website, i think that'll be a more permanant solution.

for the short term, upping your resolution is indeed the simplest fix.

that said, I use 1024x768, and I opened a bookmarks sidebar to check and sure enough it pushed the threads off the edge of my screen.

Mal? what can we do?
  5. Ba Lord of the Pies

Ba would [i:cd0091a52a]really[/i:cd0091a52a] like it if the site supported 800x600. While he has a fairly new computer, the monitor tends to warp the screen on higher resolutions.
  6. Cynical_Youth New Member

It works fine on 1280x1024, even with a sidebar.
  7. Garner Great God and Founding Father

Eh, this is kind of the point though, it ought to be universally accessible, in my opinion. Remember back in the early days of the web, when "Looks best on Netscape" or "Looks best at 800x600"?

What about "Looks the exact flippin same on any damn thing because it was built to be universally compatible"? i dunno, just a design philosophy of mine.

until Mal chimes in on this though, i have no idea how much can be done to fix the problem. it's possible that these boards CANNOT work in any other way?
  8. Buzzfloyd Spelling Bee

I think there should be something that can be done, but Mal might not have been aware it was an issue if he and Marcia both have their screens set to 1024x768. Can you fix it to be universally ok, Mal?
  9. Maljonic Administrator

To be honest I hadn't looked at it in 800x600; the site is designed to be best viewed in 1024x768 or higher. I know a lot of people still use 800x600, mainly because that's the factory setting and a lot of people don't know how to change it, or even realise that you can.

Still there are those who chose to use 800x600; some of them are crazy of course, but I do know that Paul (who only lurks) has his set to low res because he has very bad eyesight and disabilities - though he's used to sites not fitting on his screen because he has the text set to massive too.

The old board is designed for 800x600, mainly because it's old and very basic; there's alot that just wont work as well on here being squashed up to such a small size, I'll have a go at tweeking things though to try and get it to fit better if that's what you all want? It will probably mean making the logo smaller and removing/moving some of the links at the top of the screen, I have to be careful though because I don't want to break it now that we've all moved in. :)
  10. Garner Great God and Founding Father

i think the main issue is that, even in 1024x768, sidebars and whatnot still distort the positioning of the thread windows.
  11. Maljonic Administrator

I suppose, but you can resize the sidebar by just clicking on its edge and moving the mouse left and right; and switch it on and off instantly by pressing the corresponding button at the top of the screen. Or use drop down menus instead. :)
  12. Maljonic Administrator

Okay, I made it a bit better, how is that with everyone so far? :)
  13. Garner Great God and Founding Father

looks great to me, seems to be working fine.
  14. Kat_in_the_Hat New Member

Yay! It fits.

Thanks Mal :D