Doormancon 06, anyone?

Discussion in 'BOARDANIA' started by Garner, Jan 12, 2006.

1. sampanna New Member

*grumble grumble european doormencons*

Just because you can move around easily across countries .. if you sneeze the germs can land in the next country! I shall try make it someday (invited or not :))
  2. Garner Great God and Founding Father

okay, after a day's email discussion, which may get posted later if anyone else wants to bother, here's some rough ideas:

mini-con on saturday, Feb 25, in london, with special guest Ivan.

if we can find a time when CJ and Mynona are both on breaks from school this summer, then we can look at a summer DMC in amsterdam, which will be central for almost all of us, globally speaking, and should be good fun.

then in october, when Om is in the UK, we can have another GraceCon.

the summer and autumn cons should be far enough in advance for everyone to budget/plan/post bail as needed
  3. Garner Great God and Founding Father

okay, Mini-Con on the 25th is now definite.

Suggestions for meeting up? Underneath the clock in Waterloo? Platform 9 and 3/4ths at Kings Cross? by the pasty shop at charing cross? Kentucky?
  4. Electric_Man Templar

Well, if we have a list of people who are definitely coming, we can arrange a point between us via PM.

The list of people expressing a possibilty of going on that date so far is:

Ivan
    Garner
    Buzzfloyd
    Electric_Man
    Colonesque (contacted via text - he's a definitely maybe)
    Rincewind (perhaps)

Anyone else?
  5. Hermia New Member

I have permission! I can come!! My first official DMC!!!

Under the clock at Waterloo sounds rather cool, doesn't it? Except that it's not actually near anything. Well, except a bridge. Which I suppose could be crossed. And a sunset.
  6. Hsing Moderator

Be sensible! Don't publicly post your meeting point and exact time - who knows what will wait for you! Just joking.

I may indeed be able to make a short trip to Amsterdam in summer, and maybe even one to England in October.
  7. Rincewind Number One Doorman

I'm a more on the coming side than not. I'm pretty sure I'll be able to come.
  8. Garner Great God and Founding Father

official meeting time and place will be arranged via PM only. we wouldn't like any arsenal fans sneaking up and pretending to be nice people. well, except for hermia's husband who's an alright sort.
  9. Ivan_the_terrible New Member

Sounds good. :) I have to buy a map :) I guess Waterloo and and Kings Cross are almost in the centre, but I still have no idea how far the Soho hotel, I'll be staying in, is from those places. :(

P.S. I'm Arsenal fan :)))
    P.P.S. Rinso, I'll try to present you the promised wooden spoon on the 1st of March, after work, if you won't be able to join us on Saturday.
  10. Electric_Man Templar

[quote:c1bde216dc="Ivan_the_terrible"]
    Sounds good. :) I have to buy a map :) I guess Waterloo and and Kings Cross are almost in the centre, but I still have no idea how far the Soho hotel, I'll be staying in, is from those places.
    :( [/quote:c1bde216dc]

Just get an underground travelcard for the day, I don't think Soho hotel is within a particularly easy walking distance from either of those stations, but I could be wrong. You'll need the travelcard anyway, doormencons normally take place in several different parts of London.

[quote:c1bde216dc="Ivan_the_terrible"]P.S. I'm an Arsenal fan :)))[/quote:c1bde216dc]

BOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

[quote:c1bde216dc="Ivan_the_terrible"]P.P.S. Rinso, I'll try to present you the promised wooden spoon on the 1st of March, after work, if you won't be able to join us on Saturday.[/quote:c1bde216dc]

That's not all you promised! :p

I'd almost forgotten how much I enjoyed that thread, thanks for reminding me of it.
  11. Ivan_the_terrible New Member

Sure, I'll get a day ticket for the Tube.

And I do remeber about 20 hryvnas, Ben. You, mingy one. 8)
  12. Electric_Man Templar

Heh, remind me of the Arsenal score last night ;)

My memory can generally be quite poor, but on jokey-bets it's excellent.
  13. Delphine New Member

That was a brilliant thread. Bargains, fighting, blood and guts, hot dogs, tea and pirates.
  14. Ivan_the_terrible New Member

[quote:d89d5d98f1="Electric_Man"]Heh, remind me of the Arsenal score last night ;)
    [/quote:d89d5d98f1]

Dirty trick. :) I haven't seen them for a lon time. And my first team is Dinamo Kiev! :)
    [quote:d89d5d98f1="Electric_Man"]My memory can generally be quite poor, but on jokey-bets it's excellent.[/quote:d89d5d98f1]
    :lol:
  15. Rincewind Number One Doorman

Pfft! You can't have two teams!

Soho, is pretty central, so it shouldn't be too hard for you to get anywhere. Just hop on the tube.

Great thread finding Ben, that one rocked. Also, we must hatch an elabourate plan to steal Ivans shoes.
  16. Guest Guest

Why??? why would you do that.....why would you steal the poor things shoes and put his socks through the misery of walking on londons pavements?

:?:

edit: put sacks instead of socks doh!
  17. Ivan_the_terrible New Member

[quote:699eea575e="Rincewind"]Pfft! You can't have two teams!
    [/quote:699eea575e]

Well, I can. But I support only Dinamo, my native Kiev team, though I like Arsenal (for about 10 years) and Zenit Saint-Petersburg (since childhood) as well. :)

[quote:699eea575e="Rincewind"]
    Soho, is pretty central, so it shouldn't be too hard for you to get anywhere. Just hop on the tube.
    [/quote:699eea575e]

Yes, I've got cofirmations from Soho and DE Vere Grand Hotel, Brighton. Still have to get a map and give you, guy my mobile number for sms' :)

[quote:699eea575e="Rincewind"]
    Great thread finding Ben, that one rocked. Also, we must hatch an elabourate plan to steal Ivans shoes.[/quote:699eea575e]

:) I'll wear bedroom-slippers.
  18. Ivan_the_terrible New Member

[quote:364750071b="misswhiplash"]Why??? why would you do that.....why would you steal the poor things shoes and put his socks through the misery of walking on londons pavements?

:?:
    [/quote:364750071b]

Because they are mean and nasty creatures... what else can you expect from a fallen philosopher and his brother-in-arms?.. :)
  19. Rincewind Number One Doorman

[quote:5609942d30="Ivan_the_terrible"]

Well, I can. But I support only Dinamo, my native Kiev team, though I like Arsenal (for about 10 years) and Zenit Saint-Petersburg (since childhood) as well. :)[/quote:5609942d30]

Your nothing but a foot ball supporting slut. You'll probably contract 'whorefan' aids.

Yes, I've got cofirmations from Soho and DE Vere Grand Hotel, Brighton. Still have to get a map and give you, guy my mobile number for sms' :)

whats the address of your soho hotel? and pms me your moblie number for randome texting abuse.

[quote:5609942d30="Rincewind"]
    Great thread finding Ben, that one rocked. Also, we must hatch an elabourate plan to steal Ivans shoes.[/quote:5609942d30]

:) I'll wear bedroom-slippers.[/quote]

All the easier for so to steal.
  20. Ivan_the_terrible New Member

The Soho Hotel 4 Richmond Mews (off Dean Street), London, W1D

And I'm not a foot ball supporting slut... I think... :oops:
    :)
  21. Hermia New Member

You will all be able to recognise me by my pink fluffy Arsenal bronx hat. No, really. And maybe I should bore Garner and Buzzfloyd on the train up by learning the answers to everything you could ask me about Arsenal. On the other hand, maybe I shouldn't.

Edit: fluffly???
  22. Ivan_the_terrible New Member

Nope, I'll be asking about Dinamo Kiev. History since 1927 :)
  23. Electric_Man Templar

Fine, if you insist. I'll take my Wycombe scarf. I'll need something to remind me that I need to find out the score for the Oxford game that I'm going to miss.

Everyone agreed to stand outside a TV shop at 4:45? Yes? Motion passed ;)
  24. Ivan_the_terrible New Member

And I'll take DK scarf. And a baseball bat, or rather a hockey stick as an argument :)
  25. Rincewind Number One Doorman

I'll probably just bring a some sort of crowbar or a brick...
  26. Ivan_the_terrible New Member

Brickfacing... ouh, love that game.
  27. Rincewind Number One Doorman

Should we make some final type plans, who definately coming? What we will do and such?

I can definatly come but after a bad investment in a cat managment company my funds are low, I'm as broke as a straw loaded camel.

So I suggest we eother do something cheap or do something expensive and you all pay for me.
  28. Hermia New Member

We could busk, and then do something expensive. It's been snowing today, so judging by typical English weather systems that means it should be a heatwave tomorrow and we'll all enjoy standing in Covent Garden in our bikinis, singing at the top of our voices! On the other hand, if the weather's still bad, people will feel sorry for us and give us more money.

The only question is, what shall we sing?
  29. Electric_Man Templar

Just got home, another successful doormencon, a full report and pictures will be forthcoming!
  30. Hex New Member

Okay, rasie your hand if you wanted to go but are separated from the fun by half a continent and a really big ocean.

*Raises hand*

Report soon E-man! We are anxious and intrigued!

Well, at least I am. I am assuming about the rest.
  31. Katcal I Aten't French !

does a whole country and a really big channel (at least, if you're planning to swim it) count ?

**raises a timid hand** Photoooooooooooooos please ! :D
  32. Garner Great God and Founding Father

DMC '06 #1 report, in short:

My beard = a lot bigger than i'd thought
    Ivan = an extremely polite and courtious fellow. jolly good chap i say.
    Kenny, Damien, and Ben = giant, rat, and weasle but good lads all the same
    Toilet stalls at waterloo and charing cross = too fucking shallow. how the fuck are you supposed to shut the goddamn door without standing on the fucking bowl? i mean, serriously, i'd just piss without the fucking door there at all if it meant that i could be sure my trousers or coat hadn't touched the toilet at any point. *shudder*
    Starbucks = fucking fuckity fucking get more fucking goddamn chairs.
    Cafe Nero = fucking fuckity fucking get more fucking goddamn chairs.
    Coffee Republic = fucking fuckity fucking get more fucking goddamn chairs.
    any other coffee shop chain = fucking fuckity fucking get more fucking goddamn chairs.
    Forbidden Planet = fucking fuckity fucking get more star wars miniatures and that second Discworld role playing book in stock!
  33. Garner Great God and Founding Father

Next DMC is tentatively scheduled for "this summer" and "amsterdam"

priority arrangements include:

Making sure CJ and Mynona are available to attend, thus requiring it to be scheduled after uni's over
    Making sure Avgi and Hsing are available, which shouldn't be a problem for Hsing at all, and only slightly more so for Avgi
    Getting Doors and Ella to come along

This is going to be our first real concession to an 'international' Doormancon.

the next scheduled doormancon to follow it is actually going to be Gracecon '06, which should hopefully include Om. that one will be in october, and focus on london and/or hastings.
  34. Electric_Man Templar

A slightly less concise report:

We arranged to meet at a train station at 10:30.

At 10:15, Kenny (Colonesque) and I got there and saw Garner from a few miles away. Well I say Garner, I actually mean Garner's beard. Also the fact that he had a huge coat on and long hair gave him a look that meant that no-one else in the station went near him unless they were dared to. It turned out Buzzfloyd and Hermia were just round the corner, standing slightly away from this weirdo.

10:20, Ivan arrives. We ponder whether the last member of our party will turn up on time. The general concesus is no.

10:30, he hasn't turned up.

10:40, the ugly fake-irishman appears, slightly earlier than expected.

We wander around the train station, trying to find a coffee shop without success. We cross the Thames and find a coffee shop that is full. Shortly after we find a bank-coffee shop hybrid that has space. We sit, drink/eat and have a chat. Ivan presents Rinso and I with cool spoons and shows off his crazy money and kindly allows us to keep some. We have the usual doormencon chat, bitching about Doors, laughing at Rinso's appearance - the usual stuff.

We wander around london trying to find somewhere to have some food. We settle on an Italian place (surprise surprise) with a friendly guy outside encouraging the punters. This place was good, food was nice and fairly cheap and they had a tv with football on. Only a couple of minor complaints:

a) When I asked the barmaid where the toilets where, she said downstairs on the right. I went downstairs and looked right to see a "Ladies" sign. On the left was a "Gents" sign *grumps*
    b) My pudding didn't arrive at the same time as the others. Though they very promptly rectified the situation when I brought it up. Rinso heard the manager and the cook having a little row about this later...

We left and went around London trying to find a café. We found lots of cafés, but none with spare seats. Except one with a single table and 3 seats which Rinso said we could all squash up around... fool.

So we kept searching, despite the fact it was about 1 degrees Celcius with a windchill factor of -14723. We eventually found a place in covent garden that had outside chairs and patio heater type things. We ordered drinks and they brought them out, except Ivan's. One Ukrainian smackdown later - we all had our drinks.

Unfortunately, soon after that we had to go our seperate ways. There was a traditional race alongside Hermia and the Garner's train. I'll allow one of them to tell you the final positions :D

All in all, good laughs, good chat, good company, an all round good day! Just like any other doormencon...

As promised, pictures! Start from the bottom right for full chronological order.

edit: changed link for pictures
  35. Cynical_Youth New Member

Nice photos, Ben. Seems to have been a pleasant day. :)

As far as the Summercon is concerned, I can offer accommodation for 5 people (which can be comfortably stretched to 6 if necessary). I live roughly 50 km from Amsterdam, but the public transport connection is very convenient.
  36. Maljonic Administrator

Great pictures, some damn fine spoonage too! :)
  37. spiky Bar Wench

Garner your beard is running rampant! Are you sure the squirrel hasn't taken up residence in there?

Sounds like a good time was had... the usual lots of walking but nothin weird in that.
  38. Delphine New Member

Doors: yeah, well, looks like you had fun.

I laughed heartily at thepics of kenny and rinso. especially the one whre rinso looks about 12/

Ahahahaha.

Of course, I'm having much more fun!
  39. Hsing Moderator

Its 2 1/2 hours by train from here to Amsterdam, and 30 bucks something, so I [i:d203a301d4]might [/i:d203a301d4]attend if nothing crosses my plans.
    Edit to add: I [i:d203a301d4]am[/i:d203a301d4] intending to!
  40. Katcal I Aten't French !

Hmmm... Amsterdam... Always meant to visit that city... Hayho, who knows...
  41. TheJackal Member

42. Rincewind Number One Doorman

YOUR A MAN!
  43. TheJackal Member

[quote:2188605018="Rincewind"]YOUR A MAN![/quote:2188605018]

Wait a minute: Was this ever in question?! Do I write in a feminine way or something, or is it my avatar?

I thought of changing the avatar alright, but I like it, and it reminds me of Final Fantasy or something, where all the guys look a bit feminine but it works
  44. Rincewind Number One Doorman

Well, I thought, for some reason, you were a girl... But I'm not sure how much that means. I think lots of things and they're not always a reflection of realitly.
  45. TheJackal Member

[quote:f86b051fae="Rincewind"]Well, I thought, for some reason, you were a girl... But I'm not sure how much that means. I think lots of things and they're not always a reflection of realitly.[/quote:f86b051fae]

Don't worry about it; I think it was KaptenKaries who also thought I was of the female persuasion a few weeks ago (damn avatar!)
  46. Rincewind Number One Doorman

Well, your manly six pack photo will put an end to all that! GRR!
  47. Hermia New Member

[quote:f4c0923828="Garner"]
    Toilet stalls at waterloo and charing cross = too fucking shallow. how the fuck are you supposed to shut the goddamn door without standing on the fucking bowl? i mean, serriously, i'd just piss without the fucking door there at all if it meant that i could be sure my trousers or coat hadn't touched the toilet at any point. *shudder*[/quote:f4c0923828]

You should have tried the ladies' in the Italian restaurant! There was literally a half-circle cut out of the door so that it could get past the toilet bowl, and you had to squeeze behind the toilet just to shut the door! No exaggeration!!

There was also some culture involved. Some guy in Covent garden humiliating the public, which I didn't understand but the boys found it funny. And some freezing buskers later on. (Probably not as freezing as us, though.) We also had a language lesson from Ivan, and saw some of the great sights of our capital city (a few statues and a couple of men, in red coats and funny hats, which we passed on our coffee-shop hunt).
  48. Electric_Man Templar

[quote:96d05fe449="Hermia"]Some guy in Covent garden humiliating the public, which I didn't understand but the boys found it funny. [/quote:96d05fe449]

I was mostly laughing at the badness of it all, "so bad it was good". The bit where he said we were watching a guy with no lenses in his glasses, then poked his fingers through them was very symptomatic of that. The farmer's hat was funny full stop.
  49. Rincewind Number One Doorman

Such a rubbish hat, What was he thinking!
  50. KaptenKaries New Member

[quote:ec13300272="TheJackal"]Don't worry about it; I think it was KaptenKaries who also thought I was of the female persuasion a few weeks ago (damn avatar!)[/quote:ec13300272]

Yep, that was ye olde capitan. Sorry bout that.