Favorite non-discworld books

Discussion in 'NON PRATCHETT BOOK DISCUSSIONS' started by QuothTheRaven, Apr 13, 2006.

1. QuothTheRaven New Member

What are your Favorite non-discwrld books?

My personal list (in no perticular order):
    Cryptonomicon by Neal Stephenson
    Dune by Frank Herbert
    Catch-22 by Joeseph Heller
    American Gods by Neil Gaimen
    Fluke by Christopher Moore
    Wicked by Gregory Maguire
    and last (but not least):
    The Hitch-Hikers Guid o the Gallaxy by Dauglas Adams
  2. koshu New Member

well mine are also in a random order

The Belgariad : David Eddings
    The Mallorean " David Eddings
    The Farseer Trilogy :Robin Hobb
    The Tawny Man Trilogy :Robin Hobb
    The Black Magician : Trudi Canavan
    Eragon and Eldest" Christopher Paolini

There are many more but these are the ones that spring to mind
  3. The_Khan New Member

I love so many, but here are some :)

J.R.R. Tolkien's Lord of the Rings (The Silmarillion)
    George R.R. Martin's A Song of Ice and Fire
    R.A. Salvatore's The Highwayman
    Raymond E. Feist's The Riftwar
    Robert Jordan's The Whell of Time
  4. Maljonic Administrator

I like all the ones mentioned so far. One series that perhaps isn't quite so famous, or maybe it is, that keeps cropping up in my thoughts years after reading it is The Winter of the World (Anvil of Ice, Forge in the Forest etc), by Michael Scott Rohan.

I also used to be very fond of LE Modesitt, Jr, Saga of Recluce I think - the one with magical engineers and where all the good mages wear black and the bad ones wear white.

I also enjoyed Fluke (not the same as above in Raven's post) by James Herbert, where this guy gets killed in a car accident and is reincarnated as a dog - the whole story is from the dog's point of view. It sounds awful but it's a really good story, though it did get the Hollywood treatment which made it as awful as it sounds.
  5. The_Khan New Member

I'll be sure to show you some sketches of our L.E. Modesitt adaptations once we start it ;)
  6. tanatie New Member

[quote:e76d156b95="The_Khan"]I love so many, but here are some :)

J.R.R. Tolkien's Lord of the Rings (The Silmarillion)
    George R.R. Martin's A Song of Ice and Fire
    R.A. Salvatore's The Highwayman
    Raymond E. Feist's The Riftwar
    Robert Jordan's The Whell of Time[/quote:e76d156b95]

I love the first two, especially a song of ice and fire (I think tolkien get's way too much attention these days)...what are the other three like? I haven't read those. Are they in any way like the first two? And is the writing style anywhere near as good as with the R.R.'s?

besides the two already mentioned I'd add Stephen King's The Dark Tower series (although book 6 gets kind of dull and introducing himself as a character was a bit over the top for me), Douglas Adams' Hitchhikers guide to the galaxy and maybe some books by Anne Rice...
  7. tanatie New Member

oops...just noticed one of them was a wheel of time...I read the first book and started with the second but I couldn't get through it because in between the two I read the last book of a song of ice and fire and the writing is just so much better that every other book I read (besides discworld and the guide) just didn't drag me in "kicking and screaming":)
  8. Victimov8 New Member

Favourite non-discworld books - That is a bit of a bugger to decide!

James Herbert - Fluke (as Mal said - Really good book!)
    Bruce Bethke - Headcrash (A little Geeky, but what the hell!)
    James Bibby - Ronan series (Comic Fantasy)
    Brian Lumley - Necroscope series (Vampire Horror)
    Dean Koontz - Lightning

Too many others to mention at this time...
  9. The_Khan New Member

Tanatie my friend, A Song of Ice and Fire is a very exciting story, it just sucks you in and never lets go. I liked it so much, I went to Mr. Martin and licensed out The Hedge Knight, which is the prequel to A Song of Ice and Fire (it takes place 100 years before A Game of Thrones begins). The Highwayman and the Riftwar series are magnificent books and you should check them out when you get a chance.

You should continue reading the Wheel of Time once you're done with A Song of Ice and Fire, because it is really good. I licensed out New Spring, which is the prequel that takes place when Moiraine first becomes Aes Sedai and her first meeting with Lan.
  10. tanatie New Member

i am finished with a song of ice and fire and I agree it's great...it's my favorite high fantasy series...I read the last book the same week as it came out...

so you're saying wheel of time gets better after the second book?

p.s.
    was the hedge knight written before or after the first ASoIaF book?
  11. QuothTheRaven New Member

[quote:e63cb5a428="Maljonic"]
    I also enjoyed Fluke (not the same as above in Raven's post) by James Herbert, where this guy gets killed in a car accident and is reincarnated as a dog - the whole story is from the dog's point of view. [/quote:e63cb5a428]
    Strange as this one sounds, the fluke I read was weirder. It involves (as the synopsis out it): a secret undersea civilization, talking whales, The GOO, lost aviators, marine biologists, and even a megolamaniacle undersea dictator thrown in for good mesure.
  12. edster New Member

I like Matthew Relly's Ice Station, temple and area 7,
    and recommend them to all.
  13. KaptenKaries New Member

Although it's been years since last, I loved reading Agatha Christie's Hercule Poirot novels in my teens.
  14. Ba Lord of the Pies

One can tell Hercule Poirot was cool because he had a handlebar mustache.
  15. KaptenKaries New Member

Yes, that was obviously the single reason I read the books.
  16. Pixel New Member

And he was Belgian - even though I'm not, I've lived here for 29 years, so I should support him - especially as the main alternative is Tin-Tin - complete with silly hairstyle!