General Discussions

Discussion in 'POLLS AND ELECTIONS' started by Maljonic, Jun 24, 2005.

1. Maljonic Administrator

This may not be important right away, but it might well be in the future. Where do we want to have our general discussions? We have them in Discworld Novels on the original board, which does cause some confusion with newcomers - but that's not always a bad thing, I like a bit of confusion.

Anyway, the reason we do all post in Discworld Novels is becasue it's the closest thing we have to a general discussion forum - what I'm saying is, should we have a seperate general discussion forum on here or should we do as we've always done and keep the Discworld Novels forum as our general meeting place?

If we decide on a seperate place for general discussions we might like to come up with an original name for it, other than 'general discussions'? :)
  2. Marcia Executive Onion

I think it would be a good idea to have a separate general discussions forum, whatever you want to call it.

The names of the Terry-Pratchett-related forums can be changed, too. We don't have to follow the Harper Collins format.
  3. Electric_Man Templar

Yeah, have a seperate one, and have several threads relating to several different books

Maybe a 'Watch Books' forum, 'Witches Books', "Rincewind Books" etc
  4. Rincewind Number One Doorman

An off topic forum would probably make sense. My only fear is that we'd be spreading are selves a little thin. All beening in one place makes the board seem more active and full. But still it probably makes more sense to have seperate forums.
  5. Rincewind Number One Doorman

Also, if we did move here, the discworld forum would probably be quite empty. Most of us have talked TP to death, and i don't fancy re-having all the offical threads agian, and discussions. Could this be a problem? We'd end up with a TP board with little topics about him.
  6. Electric_Man Templar

Well I think my suggestion would cover that, if you have forums for about half a dozen books each, then they will be kept reasonably active by the people who want to discuss the books.

Maybe when there is a new book that can have a thread of it's own for a while, then move it into a relevant forum.
  7. Maljonic Administrator

Also I think, new people will always want to talk about the books because they haven't talked them to death yet. :)
  8. Mynona Member

What should be kept in mind is our tendency of hijacking threads left and right. Having one forum, 'Novels' as it is, wouldn't limit us as much.

As it is now, I don't visit any other forums than the 'novels' one, can't be bothered. I think there's a chance of that happening here too.
  9. Buzzfloyd Spelling Bee

I think it's an eminently sensible suggestion. Think how many people we have saying we shouldn't discuss non-DW topics in the 'DW Novels' forum. This would make it plain that of course we can discuss non-DW stuff - it's the General Discussion forum! And then anyone who wasn't interested could stick to the DW forum/fora.
  10. Hex New Member

I agree with all of the above, its a good way to separate the Discworld from all of the things we always discuss.

Hello all by the way. :mrgreen:
  11. Pepster New Member

I'd say separte the two, we don't need as many individual book forums as there are either. maybe just the latest.
  12. happyman New Member

I think we should have these forums:

Non-Discworld Pratchett
    General Discussion
    Witches
    Sciences of Discworld/Roundworld
    Rincewind/Wizards
    Polls and Elections
    Death and Susan
    Other Discworld Novels
    Watch

Wow, that was a hard post to type! You are under no obligation to follow this list, it is just something I think we should do.
  13. Silmaril New Member

Definitely need a general forum. We need somewhere for members' news, for instance.
  14. Maljonic Administrator

We could have a seperate forum for that I think, then it's easier to find when you want to post some personal news? :)
  15. Tempus New Member

I'm definitely in favour of having an off-topic forum. I like the idea of having the other forums grouped into Witch/Wizard/Watch/Death/Gods as well.
  16. Rincewind Number One Doorman

[quote:2dd9859b73="Maljonic"]We could have a seperate forum for that I think, then it's easier to find when you want to post some personal news? :)[/quote:2dd9859b73]

We could just make in a sticky. People don't tend to have that much news to warrant a whole forum.
  17. Maljonic Administrator

I guess you're right; we'll start putting it all together soon anyway then we'll have a better idea what it's all going to look like. :)
  18. Buzzfloyd Spelling Bee

[quote:94a248817b="Rincewind"][quote:94a248817b="Maljonic"]We could have a seperate forum for that I think, then it's easier to find when you want to post some personal news? :)[/quote:94a248817b]

We could just make in a sticky. People don't tend to have that much news to warrant a whole forum.[/quote:94a248817b]
    I agree.
  19. Silvermoth New Member

I wouldn't mind a general message board but would it be a general dicworld board (movie news, things that don't fit into the other topics) or general as in completely off topic
    ________
    Live sex webshows
  20. Garner Great God and Founding Father

it's the Boardanian forum. it's general. we don't really recognize 'off topic' around here, since everything tends to end up that way.
  21. Buzzfloyd Spelling Bee

Silvermoth, if you check the dates on these threads, you can see they're a good year old, so most things we're discussing in them will already have been decided.
  22. Silvermoth New Member

[quote:8530835d81="Buzzfloyd"]Silvermoth, if you check the dates on these threads, you can see they're a good year old, so most things we're discussing in them will already have been decided.[/quote:8530835d81]

Whoops, sorry
    ________
    Park Royal 3 Condos
  23. Buzzfloyd Spelling Bee

No problem!