Help needed finding quote

Discussion in 'THE WATCH BOOKS' started by Ian, Feb 20, 2009.

1. Ian New Member

Can anybody help me find a quote I want to refer to in a published article?
    It is a great example of Vimes' way of thinking. He was leading an army into battle against a fundamentalist religious type enemy.
    He enunciated his view of religion something like:
    'Vimes believed that if you were good and muddled through life doing the right thing by everyone that everything would turn out well for you afterwards. You couldn't put that on a banner but it was what most people believed.'
    I couldn't find it in 'Jingo'. If you know which book it was in, or can even find the page number, it will help me enormously to publish an article which is very complementary of Pratchett as a philosopher.
    Thanks.
  2. Hsing Moderator

I don't have the books available right now, but it might have been in Thud if it wasn't in Jingo.
  3. Buzzfloyd Spelling Bee

But is it complimentary? ;) I would also suggest Thud or possibly Nightwatch. I will have a look when I have some more time and see if I can find it. But it isn't instantly familiar to me, which suggests it's one of the more recent books that I haven't read so often, so Thud sounds like a good bet.
  4. superbanana New Member

It might be in monstrous regiment if ur sure he said it when fighting a religious army. Although it sounds like something from thud! After the nearly-battle between the dwarves and trolls. Cant be surer without checking.
  5. Joculator The 'Old' Fool

Small Gods. Fri'it in the desert after meeting Death...

"What have I always believed?
    That on the whole, and by and large, if a man lived properly, not according to what any priests said, but according to what seemed decent and honest inside, then it would, at the end, more or less, turn out all right.
    You couldn't get that on a banner. But the desert looked better already."

Nearest I can come up with but not a Vimes quote.
  6. Maljonic Administrator

Stark, raving genius.
  7. Buzzfloyd Spelling Bee

Well done, Jock. I really need to re-read that book, it's one of the best in the series. It won the Deathmatch on the old boards. Doors, do you ever think it's time to do a new Deathmatch?
  8. Ian New Member

Thanks

Many thanks to Joculator. It was the Small Gods quote; I mistakenly gave it to Vimes.
    Also thanks to Buzzfloyd for your not so complimentary complementary comment. I’m genuinely grateful.
  9. Buzzfloyd Spelling Bee

Heh. You're welcome, Ian! Do come and take a look around the rest of the site, post in the New Members thread and so on. I'd like to see the essay when you've finished writing it.
  10. makarithmatic New Member

I mistakenly give a lot of things to Vimes. ;D

I remember that quote. Good job, I wouldn't have been able to place it.