Hi - from Namibia

Discussion in 'INTRODUCTIONS AND AVATAR TESTING' started by Cynth, Oct 10, 2005.

1. Cynth New Member

Hi

Smoking_GNu told me I should come here. I am new to this site and I need some pointers.
    C
  2. Maljonic Administrator

3. Smoking_GNU New Member

Mal, just so you know, this is my sister, the one who inspired me to read TP.

Be gentle with her, as she is the reason for me being here (on this BOARD).
  4. Cynth New Member

jeez Smoke i'm not a total idiot u know
  5. Smoking_GNU New Member

HEHEHE

:lol:
  6. Cynth New Member

so mal a friend???
  7. Smoking_GNU New Member

Were on speaking terms yes. The people here are getting to know me, aren't you.

There is a questionaire that you should fill out and you can find it in the Avatar board under "People, new and old, please introduce yourselves here"

Se my net as jy sukkel ok?
  8. Cynth New Member

Nee dis fine ek sal myself help en skree as ek hulp nodig het.

Just have to get used to the whole concept.

I'm not a total idiot. It's just funny that when I started reading TP there was no type of thing like this where u could find like minded ppl to talk to
  9. Smoking_GNU New Member

And look at the lates message in the sout box please.
  10. Buzzfloyd Spelling Bee

Hi Cynth! Welcome to the board. :) We're still getting settled in ourselves, so I'm afraid I can't point you to a completed FAQ - but there will be one soon, I promise!

Here are a few general tips to help you settle in here:

1. Type in your best English. We have a lot of members for whom English is not their first language, we have several dyslexic members, and we have many nitpicky pedants. We make it a forum rule to avoid chatspeak, l33tspeak, textspeak and the like.

2. Think before you post. People will take what you say seriously until they know you well enough to know when you're joking. Make sure that what you're saying is how you want people to see you.

3. If you upset someone, apologise. Doing that straight away will make it a lot easier to sort things out. If someone upsets you, don't insult them or shout about it, just state calmly what upset you and why.

4. Older members are not better than you, but they have more experience and carry a lot of respect in this community. Listening to what they say will help you to get along.

I hope you have a good time here. :)
  11. Cynth New Member

Thanx for the tips.
    I shall refrain to speak to Smoking_Gnu in Afrikaans. He's my brother but i think he will understand
  12. Buzzfloyd Spelling Bee

No problem. :)

Under rule 1 up there, that would be "Thanks for the tips." It might seem annoying at first when you're used to chatspeak, but you'll soon get used to it!
  13. Tephlon Active Member

Ek begrijp afrikaans.
    I have to read it out loud though. I suspect Cynical Youth will also be able to grasp most of it. Even Pixel might be able to understand bits... :) (He lives in Belgium)

Please try not to use it on the board though. It tends to annoy people if they can't understand what you're saying.
  14. Cynth New Member

Cool man!!! We afrikaans understand dutch as well. reading and writing!!!
    Jay!! But I will refrain from using it in posting.
  15. Smoking_GNU New Member

I see your back Cynth.... :badgrin:

A you may have niticed, there is a new TP book out: THUD.

It is not available in SA yet but i have high hopes for the next year :axe:
  16. Tephlon Active Member

I can't recommend Amazon enough. You can't be deprived of Pratchett for a year, while we are all talking about the next book, that would be cruel! ;)
  17. Cynth New Member

I think I need to get a credit card... for Amazon or our version Kalahari.net.
    But decisions, decisions...will i spend it on Terry or on shoes.
    Smoke...shouldn't you be studying? :badgrin:
  18. Smoking_GNU New Member

Yes, and doing a project, and chatting, ALL on the same computer. ISINT TECHNOLOGY AMAZING!!!???
  19. Cynth New Member

yes it is and you call it multi tasking
    as i am typing eating chips and laughing at you all at the same time
  20. Buzzfloyd Spelling Bee

Guys, I don't want to seem like a killjoy, but this is verging into private chat. If it's only relevant to one other member, keep it in PMs or a chatroom. Thanks. :)
  21. Smoking_GNU New Member

Sorry. Will try to keep the privat chat to a minimum from now on.
  22. Buzzfloyd Spelling Bee

23. Cynth New Member

Sorry will keep it to email then...
  24. Marcia Executive Onion

Welcome Cynth.