Members' News

Discussion in 'BOARDANIA' started by Silmaril, Jul 4, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rincewind Number One Doorman

I blame you.
  2. Maljonic Administrator

Man flu is the worst, women just don't understand that we are actually dying. :)
  3. Hsing Moderator

Well, I suppose it wasn't about the stuff, it was about being singled out by your own family, wasn't it? And that's the last thing a family should do, not only on Christmas Eve, even after months of fighting.
    If I ever say something like that to my own daughter, please, stone me to death.
  4. spiky Bar Wench

christmas was OK. I got sunburnt playing golf and now I'm really tired after going to the midnight sales last night and not escaping till 2am. But on the upside I did only buy what I needed. Now my boyfriend wants to go shopping in town (BTW I'm in Adelaide at the moment so town is bigger than Canberra) and its going to be absolutely mayhem...

Anda sorry to here your family are such crackpots, the solution is to never get them anything ever again until they say sorry. Get on with your life and remember that you are worth it. They're all just bastards.

Oh and the babies were gorgeous. But I'm not getting clucky. Not at all.

Merry christmas everyone and happy recoveries.
  5. Katcal I Aten't French !

"There's one in every family sire... two in mine actually... and they always manage to spoil special occasions"... my favourite... ok, my only quote from a Disney cartoon worth repeating... and so true (well, the voice being Rowan Anderson does help...) there are actually 2 in my family...

I spent the 24th with the french side of my family (my husband's family) and our gorgeous baby niece, a real angel, so quiet, laughs all the time, great fun... The 25th was with my family, for a "british" christmas, and on the 26th, both loads of parents came to our freshly decorated flat for a meal, and having got through all christmas without going berzerk, my dear mother started accusing me of stealing photos from her album (pics she actually made a big fuss about giving to me about a year ago :roll: ) and made the whole thing a pain... oh well, whatever... vive christmas...
  6. fairyliquid New Member

Sorry Anda...It's horrible for something like that to happen...especially at Christmas.

doors...I've had the same misserable xmas (well, different illness but still)

So Christmas is over...now it's all study for exams mid-january...only mocks though*

Anyway, Christmas was okay...I survived anyway. It was a wee bit strange as i wasn't actually with my parents in the morning, i have been staying with my aunt and uncle, so I had to follow their traditions which was just bizzare. It did mean extra prezzies though so who's complaning.

It was the first Christmas with this side of the family...it was nice but I'll be glad to get away. I've been tired (dazzed may be a better word) most of the time though (12 hour time difference...what do you expect)

I did go to an ice hockey match on christmas eve eve (23rd)...which was great...Toronto Maple leafs vs Boston Bruins(?). which was fun...but you know when you go to a match of any kind and think wow we are far back (unless you're on of the lucky ducks in the front) but look behind and go 'at least our seats are better than theirs'. Well, there was no one behind us. We were it. But we could see the pin pricks rushing around the sheet of ice (it wasn't really that bad)

Soon home though.

Another 7 1/2 hour then 9 hour plane rides with a 9 1/2 hour time difference on Friday. Then a week later another 4 1/2 hour plane flight with a 2 1/2 hour time difference. People would think I like flying...I am travelling buisness :D flat bed all the way (except the 3rd flight but oh well...I'm surprised we have buisness at all)

*well I say only...they are worth more than the actual things in my school
  7. Hermia New Member

I'm sorry to hear some of you had crap Christmasses. I know it's hard, but try to remember that we have Christmas every year, and your time will come for a good one. If not from your family, you'll find better luck with friends or a different sort of family.

And Doors, in my experience man-flu at Christmas is usually brought on by about 13 aftershocks. I'll take quite a lot of convincing to believe otherwise.

My Christmas was made up by a little diamond ring that I (finally) received from Alastair! So I'm a happy bunny. No, wait, wrong time of year. Happy elf? :D
  8. mowgli New Member

Whoohoo - mozel tov, Hermia :)

To everyone's new nieces/nephews: welcome into the world, glad you're here :)

To everyone with family issues over Christmas: ::hug::. gotta agree with Hermia, though.

To all the manflu sufferers: is Russia the only place where they drink pickle brine to help with this sort of thing?

My vacation was spent in Arizona, vegging out in the sunlight :). My skin color went from the usual gentle-green to an almost-human (and back again, now that I've returned to work, cold and Internet ;) ) I had no idea I missed my family so much. I also had no idea Arizona was such a Republican state! :p Half of my Christmas night was spent trying to keep peace between my brother and an extremely conservative family friend, except that I kept jumping into the argument instead of helping the poor woman! The other half involved me, my Dad and another friend singing Russian songs VERY loudly, in 4 part harmony.

Happy post-Holidays everyone!
  9. Katcal I Aten't French !

Wow ! Congrat's Hermia ! :)

News for today : A beautiful big bright green woodpecker with a red crest has just landed on my window sill (1st floor) yeah, I know it's just a bird, but seeing one up that close is always breathtaking...
  10. Hex New Member

Yay Hermia! Sounds like you had a Merry Christmas indeed!

Mine was merry too, but that merriness was definitely squelched by the rapidly approaching college application deadlines. Woo and Hoo and Argh!
    I have two apps sent off and finished (which is good, since the deadline is tomorrow), one almost done, and three in need of work.

I'm also way overdue on my psychology project. Luckily it's just a case of fixing up my raw data and organizing it into something that's masquerading as a project but is really a bunch of BS. Luckily for me, my teacher will gladly accept BS. *phew*

As for today, to celebrate the end of 2005 I went shopping about bought a new notebook for writing things in and a Radiohead CD for listening to (I bought Pablo Honey because I didn't have enough money for all of them. Sad face. But this isn't so bad, since Creep is a lovely song).

I will also stay up all night watching old movies with my family and going out for Chinese food.

Happy New Year everybody!! May 2006 treat you well!
  11. Garner Great God and Founding Father

2005 Year End Review:

Geeky Gaming: Up 400%
    Theft of Candy From Wife: Up 200%
    Theft of Candy By Wife: Up 15%
    Employment: Up 100%
    Dictatorial Control Of Message Boards: Up 60%
    Constant Harassment By Trolls: Down 92%
    Universal Love Towards Ba: 4%
    Fear Induced Universal Love Towards Ba: 96%
    Universal Love Towards Doors: 0%
    Pity Induced Universal Love Towards Doors: 2%

2006 Year Forward Projections:

Geeky Gaming: Up additional 230%
    Theft of Candy From Wife: Holding Steady
    Theft of Candy By Wife: +/- 5%
    Employment: +/- 50%
    Dictatorial Control of Message Boards: Holding Steady
    Constant Harassment By Trolls: Up 1%
    Love Expended On Doors: 0%
    Blame Apportioned To Doors: 100%
  12. Maljonic Administrator

13. mowgli New Member

No love for Ba of any kind in the next year? :)

Well, Ba is still the head of my church and my admiration upon him, verily, for He entrusteth me with a vast array of weaponry and sharp objects, yea!
  14. Cynical_Youth New Member

Happy New Year, everyone! :)

Just got back from France. I was snowed in for most of last week which was a lot of fun. Other than that, uneventful.
  15. Andalusian New Member

I always feel horrible posting on this thread, but at the moment I don't know what else to do or where else to ask.

I really need to talk to someone right now. Its the first time in months that I've felt like I needed to harm myself and I don't know what to do. There's no one in my house that I can talk to and my best friend is on holiday so I can't ring her.

I don't want to impose myself on anybody, so can anyone who is prepared to listen please tell me?
  16. Katcal I Aten't French !

Hi andalusian, I'm free, do you want to join me in a chat room ?

Edited : I'll be waiting in the mended drum if you want to chat...
  17. Cynical_Youth New Member

Just saw this. I'll be on MSN. Andalusian, please don't feel bad about posting this. It's good to talk about these things.
  18. koshu New Member

yay, i finaly have something to post on this page!!! :)

I just wanted to say that i m fling back home to SA in about 5 hours and im not gonna have much net acses when i get home so i just wanted to say i hope u guys hav a great time and ill try speak to u all again soon

:lol:
  19. Rincewind Number One Doorman

I have a stomach Ulcer! Huzzah!...No wait, the other one, BOO!
  20. OmKranti Yogi Wench

Dude that sucks. Booooo!

Did your doc give you all the "you can't eat" lists and crap?
  21. Garner Great God and Founding Father

there was a flood at work, so they had to shut electricity to the building. i get the day off, but still get paid. woo.
  22. Rincewind Number One Doorman

No. She was rubbish. She didn't even explain how i got it.

Of course, thats the problem when you go to a doctor that everyone else refers to as 'Mad Sally the Bag Lady'.
  23. Katcal I Aten't French !

:lol: :lol: :D
  24. fairyliquid New Member

(I)GCSE mock exams start tomorrow.....

I'm in trouble
  25. Maljonic Administrator

I wonder if the Fool's Guild has 'mock' exams? :)
  26. KaptenKaries New Member

:-( I feel sorry for you! I had something I think is called gastric catarrh half a year ago. The doctor's examination was a nightmare!

She said "I'll book you in for another check in three weeks. If you feel better by then you don't have to come."

I got well very quickly.
  27. fairyliquid New Member

:lol:

wish the exams were that funny...
  28. Rincewind Number One Doorman

I have to go back in 3 weeks, if I don't feel better there going to put a camera tube down by throat, goodo.
  29. KaptenKaries New Member

Lucky! That's the nice entrance!
  30. Katcal I Aten't French !

Funny, just what I was going to say. And don't think I'm not sympathetic, colon problems run in the family, and I'm not talking about the watchman. :roll:
  31. Electric_Man Templar

Rinso has Colonesque problems
  32. mowgli New Member

Poor Rinso! :p Stomach issues suuuuuuuuuck!!!

Do you get knocked out before the put the camera down your esophagus, or are you awake and watching your stomach on TV?
  33. Rincewind Number One Doorman

I have no I idea. Hopefully, i'm not that desperate to see what my insides look like, the outsides are bad enough.
  34. Electric_Man Templar

From grisly relative recounting, I can confirm that you awake and able to watch (if you want) when they go through the other end... None of them have had it down their throat though, so I don't know about that.
  35. Rincewind Number One Doorman

36. KaptenKaries New Member

One of my friends' dad works as a technician with the x-ray thingie at a clinic here in Stockholm. I think he works with x-raying the digestion bits of a body. I once asked him how detailed the x-rays were. He said:

"Oh, you can see the most amazing things! You can see what people had for dinner yesterday."

Even though if you think about it the wrong way, this statement may be a bit disgusting, but I do agree with the general idea, it truly is amazing the way all those little bits work together to make me walk and talk. I say you should watch, Rinso!

And one of the most impressive things the body does is it's ability to repair itself, and in some cases, if one organ is malfunctioning how another organ can take over it's responsibilities. I think one example of this is if you loose your spleen. Your kidneys will do it's job instead.
  37. Rincewind Number One Doorman

ha! useless speen! you better ship up or I'll get rid of you and let Mr Kidney do the work.
  38. OmKranti Yogi Wench

Rinso, I just had an endoscopy (thats the camera down the throat thingy) and it wasn't bad. I got scared when they said I was going to be awake for it, but the drugs they give you for concious sedation have a side effect of short term amneisa, so I don't remember any of it. They said I laughed alot.

Good news is, if they haven't done an endoscopy yet, it's very likely that you don't have an ulcer. Unless you have blood in your stool. Then you probably do.
  39. Hermia New Member

Hello! Just quickly popping in to ask a question. Are onion rings prolific in the USA? I have a friend moving over there and he's a bit worried.
  40. mowgli New Member

They don't reproduce by themselves, as far as I know, although they may be clandestine about it ...

There seems to be enough of them here in the New Jersey/Pennsylvania/Delaware tristate to keep a dedicated onion-ring-eater happy! :)
  41. Sir_Gawain New Member

As far as I know. Which means I can add New York and Florida to Mowgli's list. Where in the USA? You can get them in lots of restaurants, and ski lodges almost always have them. Most people have at least eaten them in their lives, though chips (Or as it is said in America, french fries) are vastly more popular. Where is your friend moving to?

I have some news as well! I just met my little buddy Pablo's new little brother and he is the most adorable little thing! He's 10 months old, and they brought him home two months ago from a foster home in Puerto Rice. He has the most adorable brown eyes, so dark they're almost black. He's such a solemn baby, but he cracked the biggest grin ever when Pablo showed up. He was fascinated by my studded collar, so I took it off to show it to him, and he started trying to put it on his mom! And I remember his name is Hispanic, starts with a D, sound like 'diablo' but isn't and I can't for the life of me remember what it is... :oops: Oh, I have it! Diago!
  42. Hsing Moderator

Somehow, my overtired brain scrambled the words "onion rings prolific" into "onion rifles". I was wondering a little, but put it all down to the liberal laws concerning weapons of all sorts in the United States.
  43. mowgli New Member

We have liberal gun laws? :oops:

And what's an onion rifle?
  44. Hsing Moderator

I suppose my use of the word "liberal" is wrong here. If you use "liberal" as "giving more leeway and generally allowing things that are illegal in other countries", then, yes.

And i have no idea what an onion rifle is. I think i may have made that up.
  45. Maljonic Administrator

Does he fear the onion ring? :)
  46. Hermia New Member

Thankyou very much! He's moving to Manhatten. It's only that he's just eaten 30 onion rings (that was his entire dinner) and I thought he might be stocking up. But now that I know they have onion rifles, he might change his mind about moving there.

Hang on - does the rifle fire onions or at onions?
  47. TamyraMcG Active Member

Hermia, assure your friend he will have no problem finding onion rings, and plenty of other deepfried delicacies in Manhattan. They have everything there, as a matter of pride. Some places deepfry the whole onion( cut so it comes out looking like a flower) even a 30 ringer would probably be satisfied with that much deepfried allium bulb.
  48. Sir_Gawain New Member

My guess would be it fires onions. After all, a BB gun fires BB pellets. Or maybe it fires pellets of onion.... The potato cannon my friend's dad made fires potatoes. (Using a common tube, and arousal can, and a match!) The potatoes tend to explode.... Fear the wrath of exploding potatoes!

What's an allium? I thought you were talking about onions? Did I just show amazing ignorance?
  49. Hex New Member

Term finals are coming up for me. Three of my classes require no study at all (because they are easy english elective-type classes), but the one class that does is keeping me up at night!

Sooo... much... psychology....

nurrr... brain imploding... nuuurrrr....

Nothing to do but just keep on studying. I need to ace the final so I can get an A.

I like getting As. :D

More news after finals.

Edit for missing words.
  50. spiky Bar Wench

Hi all been away a couple of days in a caravan in the middle of no where. South Australia has a lot of no where to go around. But of course we managed to be in the middle of nowhere next to the coughing kid to spoil the serenity... but all in all it was pretty good and actually made all this time off work feel like a holiday.

Tonight my boyfriend is taking me out to dinner which is costing him over $500 to celebrate his promotion. This food better be wrapped in gold to justify the price but do I feel a little special or what...

Everyone started posting again while I was away so I have some reading to do to catch up... I go back to Canberra tomorrow so there'll be plenty of time to do it.
  51. TamyraMcG Active Member

Spiky, it sounds like you have been having some fun, carry on.

Sir_Gawain, don't worry, it is just trivia. I am only partly sure that onions belong to the allium family of plants.

Hex, I hope you do get that A, it sure seems like you are deserving of A's.
  52. sleepy_sarge New Member

Just back from extended New Year break in Scotland. It was extended because I was "encouraged" by my company to use up as much of my 2003 vacation time as I could, so that this year I can make a start on the 2004 allocation (!)

"Still" I thought blithely, " I will be able to keep up with the board, I shall take my work laptop"

This was a grand scheme. There is a free dial up number, logs me in to the work servers, full internet access.

Pity I forgot that phone connectors in the UK are different....

Oh well, I made it back in time for the Werewolf thingy....just.
  53. Maljonic Administrator

Weclome back, I was wondering what had happened to you. :)
  54. Katcal I Aten't French !

**pictures Hex in the exam hall slaving over a piece of paper... the mental camera approaches and you can see what is written : ++++ Out Of Cheese Error ++++ +++ MELON MELON MELON ++++ +++Redo From Start.+++ **

Poor Hex... Good luck !

And welcome back to all Holiday vagrants ;) :D
  55. fairyliquid New Member

Welcome back Spiky and Sarge

Hex...good luck, I'm sure you will get your A

my news....exams also. I have finished with maths though, which is a relief.

So far I have completed 8 hours of exams in 2 days and all I have done is english and maths...tomorrow - english lit and bio.

I need to finish re-reading one of the texts...last time I looked at it was a year ago... :? not to good.

and I should probably start bio revision sometime...eek (I may have left the revision a little late)

On the bright side I have monday, friday and most of thursday off 8) I plan on lounging by the pool
  56. sampanna New Member

Hey all! Back after a while .. work has been too killing to do anything other than work at office! and don't have internet at home yet ..

Oh yes .. I also got engaged :)
  57. Perdita New Member

He Congratulations Sampana- have you set a date yet?
  58. fairyliquid New Member

congratulations sampanna! :partyman:
  59. jaccairn New Member

Congrats Sampanna
  60. mowgli New Member

Wooo! Mozel tov, Sampanna!

(Fairyliquid, that is an AWESOME emoticon :lol: )
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.