Members' News

Discussion in 'BOARDANIA' started by Silmaril, Jul 4, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sleepy_sarge New Member

See what happens when you don't wear the right shoes ;)
  2. Sir_Gawain New Member

Awww... bummer, fairy.

Our performance of the parodied Hamlet was tonight, in conjunction with an insanely shortened Midsummer Night's Dream, and a few other small performances not of Shakespeare. I have been told that our play was the best, and I was the best in our play, but you're always told that. I almost forgot a line. Hamlet did rather well. I didn't see the 'To be or not to be' speech, being off stage at the time, but he sounded better than he did in the rehearsals.

But we proved that a bad dress rehearsal means a good performance. Our dress rehearsal was in a rather small room, because Midsummer was rehearsing in the performing space. And it went badly. We forgot half our lines, the space was so limited that in the fight at the grave Leartes had trouble not stepping on Ophilia, and it was hard to tell if he and Hamlet were fighting or making out. Hamlet was pushed up against, and by the end half lying on, a table. :lol: And then Leartes both stopped to brush dirt off his pants in his death speech and got up before the rehearsal was over. I cracked up on the 'Goodnight, sweet prince, and flights of angels sing thee to thy rest' line because of that. And we were missing props, so the queen died of drinking poison wine out of a rock, and Polonius was killed with a yardstick. Luckily, our performance went off with barely a hitch.

Titania in Midsummer was simply beautiful. She was played by the friend who I got as Frodo on the 'What famous person are you like?' thread. She spoke a bit softly, but you knew what she was saying. And she captured being a fairy QUEEN. She was in charge there. And her wings were beautiful. Shiny... And she was... not the kind of face you'd call beautiful, but she pulled it off on stage. Off stage she was just very pretty and incredibly cute. Amazingly cute. Cuter than she usally is, and that's pretty cute. I must have hugged her five times. And when she spread her winds while arguing with Oberon... wow. I think I'm bias on this subject. Ask LaughingFire for more accurate details. She's not as fond of Titania's actress.

Puck did a wonderful job as well, though knowing the actor he could have done much better. He says he wants to play Puck in a non-abridged version of Midsummer. I back him up whole heartedly on it.
  3. sampanna New Member

I've never been involved in any theatrical performance .. the general consensus was that my mug would scare the kids :(

In other news, Jethro Tull is coming to Bangalore. And the worst part is, I may not be able to attend the show.
  4. Andalusian New Member

:shock:

I sympathise completely. That's horrible.
  5. fairyliquid New Member

Personally I blame the socks....silly coach making us wear white ones...Personally I prefer my bright yellow ones (they are very stylish...honest)
  6. sleepy_sarge New Member

Off to a "do" at the British Embassy tonight. No we don't move in high circles, just know some of the ordinary folks there. Not usually my thing, but can force myself for free drinks!

Then tomorrow, bright and early off to Houston for a month. Got a new member of the team starting and she needs to be trained, plus a few projects need some help, and lastly I need to help prepare for the re-opening of the New Orleans office post Katrina (they've been camped out in Houston since),

They are still going to hold Mardi Gras this year. Right while I'm there. Ah well it's a tough job but someone has to do it.

Naturally I will still be online!
  7. Darth_Bemblebee New Member

British Embassy? :shock: My word.

Sir_Gawain, that does sound like fun........i miss my high school theatrics :( So does Unhappy Bob. Attempting an impressive suicide as Lady Macbeth, with the last-minute prop fiasco of a Thomas the Tank Engine beaker was particularly amusing, lol.

I'm generally quite miserable at the moment, due to discovering that THE guy i like (who is a discworld knowledge GOD, on a side note), is completely stuck on someone else. Blah. :cry: Isn't rejection fun?
  8. Sir_Gawain New Member

XD It was fun, Bemblebee. But I say the rock is better thn a thomas the tank engine cup. Even though it wasn't at the preformance. XD

Ok, bemlebee. That royaly sucks. You have my compleate symathies. At least... I'm not going to elaborate. My sister reads the thread. But really, that sucks. You can always hope the person he's stuck on will reject him, and you can can catch him on the rebound, neh? :goodman:
  9. Darth_Bemblebee New Member

10. Sir_Gawain New Member

You're welcome, Bemblebee.
  11. fairyliquid New Member

Well I am in Jakarta...*waves*

Probably wont have much in the way of internet access till next week.

I swear...Jakarta (which was what I imagined Ankh-Morpok to be similar to) is cleaner. It's no where near as dirty as I remember. Then again, that may be because I have more to compare it with now.

Anyway, I am celebrating no school for a week thanks to Chinese New year and next to no homework at all!

Kung hei fat choi!
  12. Bradthewonderllama New Member

Phew. So much going on with everyone. Me, I'm still alive. Running around, finding bombs and such. Fun day this last Sunday. Looking forward to home (-:
  13. Maljonic Administrator

Nice to hear you're still with us Brad. :)
  14. Hsing Moderator

Yes, it is!
    Newbits, this is the creator of my genial sig-quote.
  15. Katcal I Aten't French !

Yep, good to hear from you Brad. I sent you special thoughts all through watching Jarhead, did you get them ? ;)
  16. Rincewind Number One Doorman

The speical thoughts that I sent out got me a lifetime ban from the national pyshic convention.

So I didn't get the job i went for. Which means unemployement in T-minus 3 days, Emtional setting:panic.

I'm sure everything will be alright
    I'm sure everything will be alright
  17. Cynical_Youth New Member

That sucks, Rinso. :(

I'm sure you'll find something new, though. No firm is complete without a dodgy bearded man who steals office supplies.
  18. Delphine New Member

That's l'suck. :( but Don't Panic, Rinso!

Apply for all the jobs you can, and check your CV for suspicious poultry activity. Join agencies! Ask your boss for a nice reference and stuff. You will be fine. If all else fails you could whore your hair out as a model. ;)
  19. Perdita New Member

That's Pretty Shitty Mr Rinso. :cry:
  20. Rincewind Number One Doorman

2.67! I don't think the world is ready for my hair.

And... I don't steal I 'liberate'. Tonight I'm going to free these sissors from the companies oppressive regime.

....I'm sure everything will be ok.
  21. Hsing Moderator

I'm so sorry to hear that, Rinso. Well, it's their loss, really.
    Though... probably that's like saying, when you beat up your kid: "This hurts me more than you, son." Meaning, it's probably inaccurately observed...
  22. Katcal I Aten't French !

Boo shucks Rinso, too bad... :( <== this is Bob trying to make you feel better, is it working ?

Pity you didn't work in a supermarket though, that's when pinching stuff on your last day at work can really be useful. :D
  23. Katcal I Aten't French !

24. spiky Bar Wench

Bummer Rinso... try and take the post-it notes too. You never know when they'll come in handy.
  25. TamyraMcG Active Member

Well I hope something much much better turns up for you, Rinso.

I was watching the news and police in Willmar, Minnesota used a tranquilizer dart to capture a cougar near a school. Willmar is a fair sized town, probably about 10,000 population in a fairly agriculturally intensive area, not really the sort of area you'd expect to find a wild big cat, but there he was. Probably it was the worst day of his life, and I don't think he'll get the chance to do that again.

My greatnephew has figured out a couple of important things, he knows how to release the catch on his jack(dog) in the box and how to tickle his uncle and make him laugh. He is now a thirteen month old baby.
  26. Bradthewonderllama New Member

heh, Thanks Katcal.

And that most definitley sucks little balls of meat made from goats, Rinso. But yes, everything will be alright.
  27. sampanna New Member

Of course everything will be ok .. the universe isn't unkind to scrawny blokes with stubble painstakingly grown since birth. There just wouldn't be any comic relief otherwise :)
  28. Rincewind Number One Doorman

:lol:

...and i'm not scrawny, I'm waif... less wind resisant.
  29. Saccharissa Stitcher

I hope you find the best job ever very very soon Rinso.
  30. Rincewind Number One Doorman

Monkey keeper at the Spoon Empourium!?
  31. sampanna New Member

Monkey King at the Spoon Emporium!
  32. Rincewind Number One Doorman

33. koshu New Member

hey everyone im sorry ive been out of touch for the past while but im kinda back, i just hav limited acsess at the moment but im hoping it'll improve

any way ill be around

:D :)
  34. Sir_Vaims New Member

nice to have you back! Rincewind don't worry about the unemployement.i am sure you'll find something soon enough. In the meantime use your flair for languages and try to think of every curse and dirty word that comes in your mind that you would like to call the people that turned you down at the interviews :)
  35. Katcal I Aten't French !

Take a spork next time and poke them 'till they say yes (or have the nice men in whit coats come in and take you away... either way you win better food and shelter...)
  36. sampanna New Member

I'm back in Pune at the moment .. flew in Friday night. Going back by bus though .. 15 hour bus journey! Grr .. definitely not gonna be fun.
  37. Sir_Gawain New Member

I can sympathize... Our bus once got stuck behind a three car pileup on the highway between Albany and New York City. We were stuck there for ten hours. Granted, it was a first class bus with a bathroom, (I'll never find out how the school affords those) but still get tired of being on a bloody bus! Especially when most of your class got coffee at the last rest stop...
  38. Hex New Member

I got my acceptance letter from the University of Nebraska Lincoln on Thursday.

So, looks like I'm going to college...

woo.

Now I just have to wait to hear from all the other places I've applied to before I decide where to go. :)

yay college!
  39. Rincewind Number One Doorman

Yoo! Go Hex! What are you gonna do there?

by the way, nice sig.
  40. Sir_Gawain New Member

Nice, Hex! What will you be majoring in?
  41. Hex New Member

I want to double major in Political Science and English, but I don't know if I'm going to UNL yet. I'm waiting to hear from all the other schools I applied to, but wherever I go, that's what I want to do. Make a difference in the world, write something interesting doing it :)
  42. mowgli New Member

Hex for President! :)
  43. koshu New Member

well done hex!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :) :) :)
  44. Saccharissa Stitcher

Congratulations Hex! :D
  45. Katcal I Aten't French !

Way to go, Hex !! I'll vote for you !
  46. lipi New Member

Well done, Hex! Enjoy the experience, wherever you decide to go.
  47. spiky Bar Wench

Hex congrats... And remember to enjoy yourself.

Although you'd probably enjoy it more if the States ever caught up with the rest of the world and made the drinking age 18... but oh well I'm sure theres stuff to make up for it.
  48. TamyraMcG Active Member

We tried that about thirty years ago. It didn't work out too well, by the time I was 18 they had raised the age to 19, to try to keep the 18 year-olds who were still in highschool from supplying their younger friends. The biggest problem was drinking and driving and dying.

Somehow being young seems to be dangerous enough. Right now they want to make it illegal to talk on a cellphone while driving if you are under a certain age. On one hand I think that is going to be hard to enforce but on the other I wish kids would just realize they do have to learn how to do things like driving and drinking and how not to combine the two.
  49. spiky Bar Wench

Its a problem at any age... I guess in the states the novelty of dropping the legal drinking age would fuel additional problems... Here everyone expects to drink at 18, looks forward to it then. Gets so drunk on their 18th birthday with such an awful hangover that the lustre soon pales...

Or that could just be my weekend.
  50. TamyraMcG Active Member

The only reason for lowering the drinking age I can think of right now would be to avoid the really stupid "tradition" I've been hearing about, drinking 21 shots on your 21st birthday. I hope they talk about alcohol poisoning some time during health class, or they should, but some dumbasses think its a cool thing. I'm not sure what the safe age would be though, four or five seems a little young and anymore alcohol then that gets into the risky area, at least risky enough to get into the beer goggle/ coyote ugly area.
  51. spiky Bar Wench

52. fairyliquid New Member

I'm back from jakarta...*waves*

hope everyone had a good week...Congratulations Hex...great to hear yo got a place.
  53. Smoking_GNU New Member

Not to sound like an echo of fairyliquid here, but:

Hi, i am back from Namibia (finally). *goes frantic with enjoyment for his internet access capable computer and also waves* :D :D :D

Hope everyone had a good Chrismas and New Year and didn't drint all too much.

Have to go now. So much to do. Tomorrow is second day off class and i allready have too start studying for a test next week. DAMN YOU BIOCHEMISTRY!!! :evil:

Cheerio everyone!
  54. Maljonic Administrator

Hello again you two. :)
  55. Hsing Moderator

Drinking age in Germany is 16. How do we solve the driving problem? Driving age is 18...
  56. TamyraMcG Active Member

I can imagine the howling frustration of all the 16 year olds (and a lot of parents) when we tell them they have to wait two years. Some states give 14 year olds driving permits.
  57. Hex New Member

Like my state! There was a fourteen year old in my driver's ed class. She was nice...

But that's just for kids who live out on farms or have no other way to get to school. Normal driving age is indeed 16.
    Not that I got my license until I was 18. You win some, you lose some...

:)
  58. mowgli New Member

In Kiev, drinking age was officially 16, and unofficially - whenever you or your parents decided that you were old enough to take a swig. (I was given my first taste of beer at the age of five and it spoiled my impression of it up to this day :p).

When we emigrated to America, a lot of our fellow expatriates were complaining that they couldn't invite their children's 16-year-old friends to join them in a toast, for the fear of being accused of giving alcohol to minors...
  59. Pixel New Member

In many European countries, talking on a cellphone while driving at any age is illegal - which makes a lot more sense - just being a bit older does not make it any safer to drive with one hand with one's concentration split between the road and one's conversation! Even hands-free units do not help with the concentration aspect.
  60. sampanna New Member

Good going Hex!
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.