Members' News

Discussion in 'BOARDANIA' started by Silmaril, Jul 4, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hex New Member

Today I officially graduated from high school. I am now in fact a college student.

Which is slightly frightening I must say. But it is mostly incredibly cool!

The ceremony was quite boring -- no one fell over, which was a shame, and my stupid mortar board hat wouldn't stay on. But I've been to many cool parties, and I must now as a result go on a intense diet to lose all the weight I have gained from too much rich and delicious food!

So yes. Next stop - University. Craziness! Yays for me! :D
  2. fairyliquid New Member

It seems a lot of congratulations are in order -

Hex, good luck in Uni and congrats for graduating!

Jaccairn, Good to hear he finally made it. I feel like I should bow down to your sister for managing that one! congratulations on your new nephew.

Katcal the costume is great (if rather odd for a wedding). Still Congratulations!

My news. Technically I have finished my GCSEs as we had a party that was supposed to meanwe have finished our GCSEs. Unfortunately I still have 2 left.

One is tomorrow...ah well, suppose I'd better start studying.
  3. Katcal I Aten't French !

Yay for Hex the new college student !!! :drinkers:

Spiky... how did you know my husband's name is Reg ? :D ( short for Régis, not Reginald... )
  4. missy New Member

I have another job interview on Friday, this time with the company i work for at present but in the Nottingham head office. I am so chuffed. A friend on the look out for me spotted the job ad on their notice board and gave me the heads up, i need all the luck i can get, i'm pretty desperate to move now and need a job so i can.

Keep your fingers crossed for me please.

:D
  5. Dane New Member

Been away for a week at my GFs so i have a bit of catching up to do.

Missy good luck on your job interview, I shall cross my fingers for you *crosses fingers*

Well don katcal on the hireing of your handwork :D I like the costume by the way and I'd like to see the pics of that wedding as much as you do

Go Hex, good luck in college... or uni... eerm... Good luck and well done :D

Fairyliquid, you said that you had to do your GCSE's at the same time as me, but I still have 8 to do :? I'm guessing its due to different exam boards. I have another English exam tommorow. I hope your GCSEs went/going well so far mine have.

Redneck, my friend took great pride in showing me pictures of him hunting for rabbits with his older brother. He especially relished the picture of him be-heading a rabbit with his knife :roll:

and my news? eerm. I had lots of fun last week (and i even managed to do some revision! yay) and so far my GCSE's are going well. I was kinda dreading the maths exam today but as it happend i think i did very well :D

ooh yeah, I've been locked out of my house from 2:30PM to 10:30PM today. I forgot my key this morning due to being in a rush and my brother decided to stay at his friends all day wile my dad was in another city (Bolton) with his GF :evil: I've been stranded at a friends house dureing that. Which meant a few things, first i didn't get to talk to my GF who is V pissed off at me for it and I havn't had any time to revise for my exam tommorow.

fucking yay.
  6. QuothTheRaven New Member

Finals start tomarrow.

Wish me luck.
  7. spiky Bar Wench

I'm psychic, despite all evidence to the contrary I am really in touch with the mystic flow of the universe... :roll:

Good luck to everyone who is in exams or interviews.

What is a GF? I could give it all sorts of meanings but none of them are good.

My news: Teaching has finished for the semester and it looks like I'll be failing a good chuck of people but we'll see once they do their final exam.
  8. fairyliquid New Member

perhaps a girlfriend...I think it constitutes as a good thing to have :p

So long as you don't get your hands on any of my exams...thats fine. Good luck to your students though...!
  9. Katcal I Aten't French !

gboodluclk werndyh !!:

**uncrosses fingers**

Good Luck Wendy !!!

**crosses fingers again**

Edited to add : YAY !!! I'm so happy, I have had another Geoff Show podcast dedicated to me, and this time I didn't even ask for it !!! I love those guys !!!! :)
  10. fairyliquid New Member

I do the international ones mostly...the only ones we may have in common are spanish (if you happen to speak it), English which we do, and art which was ages ago.

I just had english which was good. Did some funny stuff with the non-fiction prose but all in all good. Good luck with the rest of yours Dane....

Good luck quoth and Missy also...
  11. redneck New Member

I had some trouble with the GF as well. My impression was that you had stayed a week with your Grandfather. Oh well. I didn't figure it out until you mentioned your dad visiting his GF.

Good luck on your exams everyone.
  12. missy New Member

Good luck on your finals mate.......my fingers are crossed for both of us.

:D
  13. Dane New Member

Good luck quoth.

Let me clear this up, GF is a girlfriend. Sorry for the confusion, i thought I'd seen someone else use it on here to assumed that you all knew what it meant.

we don't do spanish and my friends finished their art exam two weeks ago. so yeah you probably have completly different exams to me. Well I hope all yours went well, i know mine are still going well *crosses fingers*

thanks for all the luck everyone :D
  14. QuothTheRaven New Member

I breezed through my first final (all I had to do was give a short presentation in spanish), and we literally didn't have to do anything in the second one (P.E.). Tomarrow, I have History (which is easy for me) and math (which should also be easy, provided I get enough sleep beforehand).
  15. fairyliquid New Member

well. My exams are *over* yes over, complete, never to be seen again.

I am happy. Even happier at the wonderful prospect of teasing all the friends who take french and must wait a week to complete all of theirs.

:D :D :D
  16. Orrdos God

Whoa, wait a minute.

You listen to the Geoff show?
  17. Katcal I Aten't French !

Why yep, by podcast only, too late for me normal time, what about it ?
  18. spiky Bar Wench

I am also confused. I don't know who this Geoff guy is and I'm wondering if its a good or bad thing to listen to it?
  19. Katcal I Aten't French !

He's a radio DJ who used to do a double-act breakfast show on Virgin Radio, and now does the late evening show, which I find great fun, and I also don't know exactly what Doors means, so I guess we'll just have to wait and see... If you want to make up your own mind, there's a link in my sig to their website, download a podcast and see (hear) for yourself...

Edited later to add : here's a Wikipedia article about Geoff Lloyd and the Geoff show for those what's curious...
  20. QuothTheRaven New Member

Summer vacation!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The ironic thing is that I usually procastinate all of my school work till the last minute, but I started my summer asignments (which I have till september to do) just a few hours after summer vacation officially started.
  21. missy New Member

Well after the most nerve wracking day of my life:

I GOT THE JOB........WOO HOO

Its with the company i currently work for but in their head office in Nottingham. Better hours, no weekend work and 3 days holiday extra per year. Best of all i get to be with Dave. No more long distance relationship.

After 11 years bad years it looks like this one is going to be the best ever.
  22. Katcal I Aten't French !

YAY !!!! Well done Wendy, knew you could do it !!! Huzzah !!! Congratulations to both of you, happy times ;)
  23. chrisjordan New Member

Congrats, Wendy. :)
  24. Hex New Member

Hooray Wendy! *hug*.
  25. Garner Great God and Founding Father

i've been given a three month extention on my contract, which means more breathing room to squander.

also, i had the beard buzzed down to only a quarter-inch. there was a considerable amount of hair on the floor after that. my face looks fat now.
  26. Electric_Man Templar

Well, considering how it was to start with, your face must now look as wide as Doors is tall.
  27. Garner Great God and Founding Father

*forces ben to enter into a three-way marriage with rinso and kenny*
  28. Electric_Man Templar

29. Garner Great God and Founding Father

look, i've got pretty limited tools at my disposal here. I'm saving turning you into roman for a day for when you do something that REALLY annoys me.
  30. Electric_Man Templar

Well, ok. But can the Honeymoon be somewhere nice this time?

In other news, the pub yielded a cheap BBQ with lots of protein (i.e. meat)! Oh, and England won, woo!
  31. Garner Great God and Founding Father

does this mean people will finally stop making those 'stupid drivers have to have a flag on their car' jokes that seemed to strike such a national chord?
  32. Maljonic Administrator

Marcia and I have been in Oxford for the last couple of days. We're just taking a rest from the heat, aching feet and tourism. We went to the Ashmolean today and we're going to search for a punt-hiring place next, but I might bottle out and go for a normal rowing boat instead. :)
  33. jaccairn New Member

Congratulations on the jobs Missy and Garner :D

My sister still hasn't come up with a name for the baby and he's a week old now! Hopefully now her husband's work has eased off they'll be have time to discuss it.
  34. spiky Bar Wench

Congrats Wendy... Nottingham hey? AS long as you can get over the fact that they have the worst football team ever (or Nottingham Forrest does which I'm assuming are the same thing because I don't live there I don't know) you should be perfectly happy :)

Garner, congrats and be nice to Ben he has special needs... (I leave it up to your wisdom as to what Ben needs)

Mal sounds like your having the perfect tourist experience, you will have to inflict the slide show on us when you get back.

For me, I'm going to Sydney tomorrow to catch up with friends and maybe get a little work done, it should be fun and a hell of a lot warmer than canberra at the moment. We went and played golf today in a sunny 2C. But Dave bought a couch so thats all right then.
  35. Katcal I Aten't French !

YAY ME !!!

As an interesting side effect of having to update someone else's programming, I have just unintentionally programmed my first procrastinator ! It speeds time up and slows it down again and even stops it ! Thank the Gods the guy who noticed it has a sense of humour and called it "a funny side effect rather than a bug"...

The original design was a timer to time people's tasks in order to charge clients for time spent in a more precise manner... but if you press the start button twice (stooooopid !) the time goes twice as fast, and pressing pause slows it down again ! This is in fact part of my genius plan to get paid 36 hours per day and raise enough money to rule the world... again. **sticks little finger in corner of mouth** MOUAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA !!!!!!!!!! (10 ! for extra evil geniusness)
  36. KaptenKaries New Member

Passed the test for my motorcycle's driving license this Thursday, so I'll probably be more active on the boards now that I don't need to focus on lessons anymore.
  37. Victimov8 New Member

Most excellent! If you can pull that off - You will be doing very well...

Congratulations to Kapten on the passing of your test! Hope you get some decent biking weather!
  38. mowgli New Member

Brad just called - he's in America, on a military base, will be home in a week or so ::knock wood::

<--- Passes out happily.
  39. Garner Great God and Founding Father

is his ass intact, or is it still in iraq?
  40. Katcal I Aten't French !

Well I don't know about the particularities of US-iraq customs, but bringing a Donkey back to the US would be pretty difficult, you know...

And no, I won't even ask why he wants to bring a donkey back from Iraq. True love should never be questioned.

Yay for Brad !! Hope your home trip goes smoothly...
  41. Dane New Member

OK sincei last told you what was happening I have finished all my English GCSEs and I think they all went very well. I finished my last maths exam yesterday which i failed miserably at. I should have revised more trigonomtry, damnit.

Other than that, because of yesterdays disaster i was feeling really crappy, Some people on another board unwittingly rubbed it in that i did really bad which didn't help my mood at all. So when i tell my girlfriend that i need to talk to her about several important things and she just ignores me I got rather upset.

she finally replied asking why i wasn't on MSN (At the time i was talking with friends on MSN) which really got to me. not only had she totally ignored my message (this was over Myspace) she hadn't even been botherd to look whether i was online or not. When i told her how i was feeling she just said that she had to go to the theater (which she still hasn't told me about!).

I later found out that she carried on talking to a friend for half an hour before finally going to the cinema. Anyway I text her about me meeting her at the weekend but she didn't reply. When she got home at 9 she text asking why i wasn't online. I went online ang again she totally ignored me. I was so angry at her and myself that i was so damn close to finishing her last night, which isn't fair. Afterall it was me blowing something small out of porportion but god i felt so bad last night.

in other news i finally got a pick of myself up in the albums.
  42. missy New Member

This is great news, i really hope the trip home is a speedy and safe one.
  43. fairyliquid New Member

Great news Brad, hope you make it back home very soon!

Dane - maybe blowing it somewhat out of proportion...take a few deep breaths and see what happens. It's never as bad as it seems at first.

my news...I am in Indonesia for the week. *waves* And have a new hair cut...which is nice. I am also on holiday, which is even nicer...seeing as i have been treated to lots of new clothes...life is good :D
  44. Angua_rox New Member

I'm sorry Dane . . maybe your girlfriend was just tired, or having a bad day, or something . . :(

Tomorrow is my last full day on my french exchange . .
    I should really be out there speaking french instead of on the computer, but hey . . :)

It's so hot here it's ridiculous . .*knows some people on this board live in places where her current temperature would be considered cold, but doesn't care, it's hot for her*
  45. QuothTheRaven New Member

I had a dentist apointment today (it was in the morning, so I had to get up early, something I dislike with the intensity of a THOUSAND SUNS!!!!!!!). It actually went rather well though, and it turns out that my teeth do not need to be drilled, after all.
  46. Maljonic Administrator

Oh God, are they still drilling teeth? I'm waiting for dentists to move on from that... :)
  47. QuothTheRaven New Member

The worst part (in my opinion, any way) is that they have to give you a mild anesthetic before hand, which causes you toung to go on strike for the next several hours. I suppose it really is necesary (I wouldn't want to get a tooth drilled without it) but I would rather just pass on the whole thing (Drills, anesthetic and all).
  48. KaptenKaries New Member

I've never had serious dental surgery (such as pulling wisdom teeth), just fixed a couple of holes (that's the drilling bit).

I've never used anestethic at the dentist. I feel it's really not that necessary, the drilling is a bit unpleasant, but it doesn't really hurt.

I used local anastethic once, when I had surgery on my foot. THAT was unpleasant. They put one needle in under my toe nail, and another needle straight into the toe from the top. I could feel the second needle scratching the bone in my toe. On the other hand, I didn't feel a thing from the surgery. :-D

I try stay away from drugs as far as possible, especially aspirin and pencillin and such. My fear is that they'll weaken my own defences and/or strengthen the flu viruses. Also, pain is a message from the body that something's wrong. I try to target the cause (lack of water in my body) rather than the effect (headache). Of course, this doesn't really apply in the case of surgery.
  49. Katcal I Aten't French !

Well, until they invent magic laser beams that repair your teeth from the inside, drills it has to be !

But I actually have the world's most amazing dentist. The first time I went to see her, I was rather miffed by the way she wasn't all chatty like most dentists are (especially asking you detailed questions when your mouth is stuck open and full of cotton wool and aparatus - "so, how's school ?" "mmngh ghuuu !" ) but actually that turned out to be a quality. But the best bit is that she not only never hurts you (including during tooth whitening - descaling or whatever it's called) but you never even feel the prick of the anaesthetic needle, and she's so precise I have never had part of my lip or tongue fall asleep, even after having root canals done or crowns fitted... She's amazing ! And she gives me free toothpaste too, and never lectures me on flossing (the French haven't yet discovered dental floss, though, which explains it) or brushing...
  50. Maljonic Administrator

Actually there's a dentist in Thirsk down the road (about 30 miles) that uses no drills. Instead they have, what they call, a Whisper Jet System. I'm not sure what it is exactly, something to do with blowing bits of tooth away, but it does not involve drilling.
  51. Katcal I Aten't French !

Like biting on a hand-grenade ?
  52. Delphine New Member

Blowing bits of tooth away? with air?

i had to have a triple root canal last year. when you're having your tooth completely excavated, and the inside is all exposed, i can think of nothing more painful than a jet of cold air. Except maybe the three huge pins he shoved down there. anyway, instead of drilling, that whisperjet procedure must include some... hammering? chiseling?

the dentist has never sounded so appealing!
  53. Maljonic Administrator

54. Ekke New Member

I don't think being suspicious of dentist is a British thing, but a world thing. I have yet to meet someone who likes to go to them. I would have to be close to death from toothacke before I go to a dentist.
    [/quote]
  55. Orrdos God

Oh, nothing really. It's just that The geoff show is the radio show of champions, and the only one that I actually listen to on a daily basis.
  56. Katcal I Aten't French !

Oh, great, it's just I couldn't work out whether you meant "You stupid git that's a lame show to be listening to" or "Woah, you're so cool, that show rocks" So it's the cool one, yay for me then :D
  57. spiky Bar Wench

I'm back. I need to go to the dentist but can't afford it. My students are currently in their exam. I just need some sleep.
  58. Hsing Moderator

I'm just stopping by.
    I'm getting all kinds of medical test results on Tuesday, its like waiting for a bunch of photos to be delivered - you know what you made pics of but you still wonder what they'll look like.

I've also got a nice handy summer flu and a bonus pinkeye. When I went to the cafe next door to get two mugs of hot coffee, I was brainfoggy enough to place them on top of each other because I needed my other hand for carrying the brad, and when the upper one gained list and slowly started to pour hot, hot coffee over my hand, I didn't let go of either the cups, or the bread, to rescue myself, oh no - I complained that it was hot until the employee took it out of my hand. :shock: I've never seen myself like that.
    He must have thought I was totally drunk, with my bloodshed eyes, my scratchy voice and, above all, my brainless behaviour.
  59. redneck New Member

Wow, carrying a llama (a wonder llama at that) in one hand and two cups of coffee in the other? You're my hero.
  60. Hsing Moderator

Yes, yes, that's me.

*sigh*
    Well, I've produced far more embarrassing typos in my online life.
    (Didn't I, Spiky?)
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.