Members' News

Discussion in 'BOARDANIA' started by Silmaril, Jul 4, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jaccairn New Member

Thanks for all the congrats everyone. Got the mortgage sorted this morning so that one more thing done (And more money spent).

Hsing, hope that the op goes well and that everyone gets to spend some time healthy.

Dane - try a cool shower and don't dry off properly, just enough to avoid dripping all over the place, the moisture on your skin evaporating should help.
  2. Buzzfloyd Spelling Bee

I hope the op goes well, Hsing. I'll be thinking of your family.
  3. Bradthewonderllama New Member

4. Saccharissa Stitcher

Hsing, the adenoids operation is going to go perfectly well and the little one will be grateful for being able to get a good night's sleep again.

But I have to warn you. When kids come out of anaesthesia, they are mad. Completely pissed off. They cry and kick and scream. My sister had tried to bite her surgeon. So brace yourself, when she comes back to the ward you may have to fall on her to stop her from falling off the bed.
  5. Hsing Moderator

In this hospital, they somehow manage to get the parents so early back to their kids that they are there before the narcotics wear off at all. I'll be there when she falls asleep, and when she wakes up.

Thanks for warning me - I now remember how my mom told me that when she got me back, I had torn my hospital nightie almost to shreads and was naked, shaking the bars of my bed, screaming. I was three back then. Then again, that wasn't too unusual behaviour to start with for a three year old.
  6. QuothTheRaven New Member

So, I am back from my 2 week backpacking trip. Hopefully it will not take me too long to get up to speed on everything I missed.
  7. Katcal I Aten't French !

Funny that about kids and anaesthesia, it's the same with cats. When we got our cat back from having his neutering op, he was headbashing the door of his transport cage, and although we were meant to keep him locked up to prevent him hurting himself, his nose was almost bleeding, so I let him out and he wandered off drunkenly, zigzagging acrosse the floor, and finally keeling over, and looking completely freaked out. I was so nervous and shocked by the head-bashing part and his squeaking, that I just couldn't stop myself laughing at the poor thing...

Good luck Hsing, at least you're warned about her possible reaction, I guess if you're not, it can be pretty hair-raising seeing your child acting like that...
  8. Hex New Member

Good luck with the anaesthesia Hsing. Hope the surgery goes well too :)

In other news...

I'm going to London in three days!! I get to see my boyfriend after a whole year apart!!!

HOORAY!!

*Snoopy Dance*

:D :D :D

Sorry for the emoticon abuse, but I haven't been this happy in months!
  9. sampanna New Member

:)
    Good going Hexy Lady!
  10. Katcal I Aten't French !

YAY for Hex !! That's an awful long time to wait, you must be so happy... Although I'm not sure that even that is an excuse for doing a snoopy dance... :D
  11. missy New Member

Good Luck Hsing, All will go fine.

And yaaaaay Hex, you go girl!
  12. Pixel New Member

Well, if I woke up and found I'd been neutered I'd be pretty mad too! :)
  13. Katcal I Aten't French !

Well, if you put it like that, yes, I do see the point :D And he was a fully grown adult cat too, poor thing... The vet' said she had never seen "such a well-developed male cat" before, it was really a shame, but he was howling like mad for about one week per month, and as far as we knew at that point, he would probably never get to see a lady cat, so it was that or go without sleep (or rather with even less sleep) for him and us...
  14. Buzzfloyd Spelling Bee

15. Delphine New Member

Wow, a year. That's a long time! Have fun in Merry London, hex :)

So, i got my uni results a while ago. I got a 2.1! Which i'm delighted about.

I don't officially graduate (the boring ceremony, those flat hats and puffy gowns) until november, but the day after my graduation doors and I are going to see Muse! I'm tempted to sleep through the next few months to make it come quicker. :rolleyes:
  16. Buzzfloyd Spelling Bee

Well done, Ella BA! (Are you a BA?)
  17. Delphine New Member

and yeah! Beware Ella-Ba ;)
  18. Pixel New Member

A terrifying combination!
  19. Katcal I Aten't French !

You mean... you have a diploma on pies ? :shock:
  20. spiky Bar Wench

I don't think its Ella with the diploma on pies... snails is more her bag. Which she studies very slowly.

Congrats Ella! And Doors should take you out more than once every 6 months, its not good to be cooped up like that.
  21. missy New Member

Well done and congrats Ella......

Don't expect too much of the "getting taken out" stuff from Doors honey, he is a bloke and also scottish! Tight is his middle name!
  22. sampanna New Member

EllaBa - slow roasting pies to perfection since 2006!
    Good show Ella :)
  23. Katcal I Aten't French !

Medical news all the way for me. Yesterday I had the last session with my dear sweet physiotherapist, he's such a nice man, and he was truly upset that he hadn't been able to do anything to help me, my arm/wrist/hand still aches for a reason still to be established, and he made me promise to pop by once it was better and tell him what had happened afterwards. He is also a spitting image of John Malkovich (just add mad-scientist white hair, and it's him !) which was rather funny. Anyway, nice to see such devotion in a doctor, as well as him being such a nice person to chat with.

And this evening, I'm having a wisdom tooth removed, it's growing sideways into the tooth next door, and is starting to be painful. This is going to hurt, and I'm pretty sure I won't get much sleep, between the heat and the pain... And of course I'll be losing all my wisdom, however sideways-growing, I'll still miss it...

Grace, could you please send that storm back when you've finished having fun with it ?
  24. Delphine New Member

Thanks everyone. Actually, Ba would be most pleased with one of the things i did my dissertation on: jonathon swift's advocation of baby-pie less satire than a jolly good idea. :)

Katcal, sorry to hear of your teeth woes. buy yourself lots of ice lollies.
  25. jaccairn New Member

Congratulations Ella, great result. :D

Commiserations on the dental work Katcal. I have my session next week - root canal treatment. :(
  26. Katcal I Aten't French !

Good job I only have to use my fingers to type, if I open my mouth, the keyboard will get drenched in blood :shock: It took him 2 minutes, anaesthesia and hello included, stab stab (and twist that needle !), scrape scrape, pull, scrape a bit more, shove in cotton wool, kick out patient. My right eye is now asleep, and my gum is beginning to wake up and it still hasn't stopped bleeding !

I really should have waited to see my regular dentist, she's a wonder dentist, you don't even feel the injections with her, there's no way I'm going back to this guy, even if he paid me. (yep, I did have to pay 83€for this, although I'll get most of it back, it's still as painful as the operation itself, especially to a bank account that's in the same state as my upper right-hand gum right now... with a bleeding big hole in it !)
  27. Buzzfloyd Spelling Bee

That's hilarious! :D Truly, you are now Ella-Ba!

Katcal, hope you feel better soon. I'll start fanning at the storm.
  28. Ba Lord of the Pies

Baby-pie! Not just for serial killers anymore!
  29. Katcal I Aten't French !

Yay Grace, you're a genius !!! A perfect storm last night, I slept just fine (with a quick pitstop at 5am to take another load of painkillers...) and it cooled us down a treat ! My whole cheek is still throbbing like hell, but it's bearable, and it's not swollen like a hamster's, so I guess that's pretty positive so far...
  30. Hex New Member

I'm leaving for London in about twelve hours.
    And I'm posting this because I can't sleep.
    Because I'm so excited.

Whee.
  31. Buzzfloyd Spelling Bee

I didn't marry a Great God for nothing! ;)
  32. Hsing Moderator

We've had one today, right after a fwe hours were the air couldn't have gotten any more humid withou us having to put on diving suits. It didn't really cool down though, just feels like being locked up in an overheated bathroom were the shower has been in use for hours.

Baaah.
  33. Katcal I Aten't French !

Or Grace...
  34. fairyliquid New Member

I have been in Scotland for the last week on holiday.

I am not happy, it has not rained once.

I should complain...."I come all the way to Britain for bad weather and I expect to recieve it!"

Anyway, I am off to the theatre to see "The Grapes of Wrath" this afternoon.

That is all my news really.
  35. Buzzfloyd Spelling Bee

I misread Scotland as Sctoland.
  36. Dane New Member

sorry for the lack of info lately, I've been at my girlfriends and doing a playscheme and son on :roll:

anyway, the court hearing didn't go well. the judge went 100% with what the cathcass (the organisation that was carrying out the evaluation on my mum, step-dad and little sister) lady said, which (in a two week period) mean my mum gets her for a full weekend from Friday night to Monday morning, a sleepover on a Wednesday and a dinner on the second Wednesday.

my mum want 50/50 but that was obviously so unfair :evil: my step-dad has manipulated the situation from start and probably to its finish which doesn't look to be any time soon. he's gotten away with doing lots of things which not only in the situation but in an average situation would be deemed illegal wile my mum has been doing everything she was told and been playing the legal game. All this says to me is that if you lie and cheat and moan like a bitch you can have whatever you want which is exactly what my step-dad is doing. I have seen a lot of what he has done and I am worried for his mental stability, he has shown erratic behaviour, damn near split personalities and constant loss of temper which without a doubt are putting my little sister in danger! Yet he is being rewarded for it wile my mum is left to suffer. The whole thing has been a farce and slap in the face, and has perfectly rounded off my mums run of luck so far in life. the only good thing to come of it was that the judge has forced my step-dad to divorce my mum.

so other than being well and truly fucked-over by the court, I've been with my girlfriend and doing quit a good job of forgetting it. I've been helping at a playscheme for kids with special needs for the past week which has been so much fun. I only got £55 but being paid for having fun with kids at all is great. This morning my girlfriend left to go on tour with her orchestra, she plays grade 6 Violin. They're going to Slovenia and Italy for ten days, I'm staying at her house with her mum and dad until next Saturday which means I miss her by two days. she left little over an hour ago and I'm already missing her. usually its me that's going but today she's the one waving from a vehicle. aw well, she'll be having fun and I'm doing lots too, We're going to cadburys world which will rock. other than that little has happened.

I hope everyone's well and I'll have to catch everything up now.
  37. Bradthewonderllama New Member

Whoa dude. I hope that everything works out.
  38. QuothTheRaven New Member

39. Hsing Moderator

Echoes both... That's really an ugly situation...
  40. spiky Bar Wench

All I can say is that divorces suck. No-one get divorced. Ever.

I hope this doesn't screw your sister up too bad... Its just like parents to create socially retarded off-spring.
  41. QuothTheRaven New Member

Divorce is not so bad (provided that both parents make an effort to see to it that their off-spring do not become socially retarted). Look how I turned out.
  42. Katcal I Aten't French !

Dane, I echo everyone, divorces suck, I hope things work out later on...

As for my damn tooth, now the swelling has gone down, I have found out that the blasted surgeon chipped the tooth next door in his 2 minute gum-ripping spree, and part of it is now broken off all the way don to below the gum, so it's still there and wiggly, and therefore painful. Bastard. I've got an appointment on Wednesday to have it repaired by my regular dentist's replacement...
  43. Hsing Moderator

Katcal, I hope for you that that one is more competent, and actually looking at what s/he's doing...

The op went well. She did wake up, recognized me, wanted me to lie next to her (which I did) and then started trying to crawl off her bed, eyes closed, and started to fight and kick me when I held her down. That eased away very quickly, though. She cried a lot, but eventually calmed down, and when we were back home she simply enjoyed being pampered by both parents. I've red about 25 picture books every day, and each six times. I've become a reading machine. She's also allowed more TV than normally, and slept with me in our bed... I think she wouldn't mind another op soon...

When she struggled with me, the needle in her foot came out, and I didn't notice at first. The nurse fixed it, anb I forgot about it because I was so busy comforting her. Only when I stood in front of the children's library, where I wanted to pick up some books for her, I realized my jeans were sprinkled with blood, and people were giving me funny looks... :shock:

Edit to add: @Dane - A lot of children come out surprisingly well, considering what their parents and other grown ups take out on their backs. They learn who is there for them and sticking for them, even if its not the person they are seeing every day. I've got a friend who has been through a lot with her parents, but always found comfort in the fact her grandparents and friends were on her side, even if she didn't get to see them too often.
    What I mean is, if you and your mom keep being there for her, even if she doesn't get to be with you as she should, she may be able to draw a lot of strenght from it to cope with a dad that's completely nuts. Just don't give up - even if it's with the intention of sparing her more fights. My brother in law wanted to do that for his kids, and completely lost contact with them.With an ex-partner like that, your mom may have to fight off a lot of contact sabotage from her ex, and that will be straining. I wish all of you luck and a brilliant lawyer... and keep my thumbs crossed.
  44. Katcal I Aten't French !

Glad to hear it went well Hsing, despite the blood-spattered jeans :D That's such a typical thing to happen, isn't it !

Yes I hope the replacement dentist is at least good, although of course s/he won't be as good as my fabulous regular dentist... but she won't be back until next tuesday and I don't feel like waiting that long...
  45. Dane New Member

Hsing, I'm glad that the Op went well and that she's enjoying herself :D Its great having Ops sometimes...

Katcal, that sounds really bad. I've had a fairly good run of luck as dentists go, well when I've had them. My dad was never very organised, me and my brother first saw a dentist when we were 8 :roll: and never again with him. My mum took over and we've been seeing one regularly for about four years now, in which time I've had "outstanding oral hygiene" :shock:

I heard that tooth and ear pain are the worst you can ever feel, so i hope that you can get it fixed pretty quickly.

as for divorced parents and their children, I agree that they can turn out pretty normal. My mum and dad divorced when i was two, I don't think that there was anywhere near as much trouble though.

So far my sister seems to be coping well, although she hates it when my step-dad shouts/get violent with my mum, but that's to be expected. She's always very happy when she's at my mums and with me and my brother, she really likes us and i feel that we may be that kind of role model. Although you can never tell how children are coping inside, on the outside she seems to be doing very well. I think it may be because at home my step-dad is a good parent and loves her very much, its just the confrontations that screw everyone up.

my news, well I'm going to cadburys world on tuesday *jumps up and down with excitement* other than that I'm not doing anything to my knowledge.
  46. Katcal I Aten't French !

Have a great time at Cadbury's World, Dane, sounds just like something out of Charlie and the chocolate factory, but without Johnny Depp :D Cadbury's is just my favorite chocolate...

On the subject of dentists, I've had this song in my head since yesterday, it's darn annoying ;)

Edited to add: Dane, if you can stop at the gift shop, please send me one of these :D
  47. Dane New Member

good god! a 5Kg bar of chocolate! at thirty quid it's a little above what i have... I have to get my girlfriend something too you know! but I'll see if i can get you something if you like*.

the dentist song was brilliant, I love stupid things like that :D thanks katcal.

*please note that upon arrival, chocolate** will probably have melted

**chocolate may also be non-existant, something else (like a picture of the chocolate vats) may replace said chocolate.
  48. Katcal I Aten't French !

'Tis not a stupid thing, that, it's an historical documentary reconstitution... thingy.

Oh ok, it's from the Little Shop of Horrors movie (the 1980's one), the whole thing is as stupid and funny as that, so if you can see it some day, enjoy ;)

Nah, forget the chocolate bar, it'd cost you that much again to post it, and I can get Dairy milk and Fruit'n'nut at the local supermarket (bloody expensively) but hey, thanks for taking it that seriously :D if you can take any pics in there, I'd be happy to receive one by mail (or put it online so eveyone can taste see it. ;)
  49. Dane New Member

I'm sure I post some pics :D possibly of me swimming in a vat of chocolate... *drools* eerm.. yeah anyway, I'm looking forward to it!

today i went to borders to get some new books. I got the sequel to million little pieces (James Frey) called my friend Leonard, I also got We need to talk about Kevin by Lionel Shriver and Femal chavuvinist PIGS woman and the rise of Raunch culture by Ariel Levy. I'm reading the Pigs one at the moment and so far I've been shocked and horrified by what some of the woman will do to get a girls gone wild teeshirt/hat! I'm amazed by the amount of contradictory morals and behavour in America. In England we're constantly fed images of life in America and it seems to be horrific. I have to go for a wile but I'll explain what i mean later.
  50. Cynical_Youth New Member

I am back. I haven't had regular access for the last month, so I have a lot of catching up to do. Good to see everyone again. :)
  51. Buzzfloyd Spelling Bee

Hooray! I've been waiting for you to enter my poetry competition and defend your title as reigning champion!

I hope you had a nice time. Now get to work!
  52. Hsing Moderator

Good to see you're back, CY!

My husband is starting on his new job in September. For at least the next six months -maybe longer- he'll be away from home over the week, and I will be a technically-single-mom except for the weekends. Let's see how that goes...
  53. Bradthewonderllama New Member

Phew. Good luck with that, Hsing.
  54. spiky Bar Wench

Wow thats tough Hsing, I second the call for good luck.

Welcome back CY.

I have a ball to go to this weekend, so I have this beautiful, complicated and very expensive ballgown to wear. I'm getting my hair and makeup done, if oonly I'd bothered to learn how to walk in ridiculously high heels, I'd feel comfortable about the whole event. It should be fun if I don't fall flat on my face.
  55. Katcal I Aten't French !

Gee Hsing, yeah, good luck and "bon courage" as the Frogs say...

Spiky, you lucky duck, have great fun at your ball ! The French don't have them. Balls I mean... :cooler: Balls you dance at and wear fancy gowns and ridiculously high heels for... Don't keep your fingers crossed about not falling over, it's not good for your balance ;) And make the most of wearing expensive dresses and having people to pamper your hair and makeup, it doesn't happen everyday... well... not for most people in any case...
    Edited because spiky isn't a lucky dick... :oops:
  56. Hsing Moderator

Thanks all. I'm not looking forward to it, especially seeing my daughter is already a "mama-kid", but we'll cope well, I'm sure.
    The only thing that really hurts is that, with not too much money to spend on babysitters, and no relatives in the area, I'm practically homebound through the week. You can only exploit your frinds that much, and I'd rather rely on them for cases of emergency. No evening courses, not even a late round of running... and running isn't the thing you do only on weekends- no spontaneous meetings with friends without tagging the little one along. So, I'll be online a lot more over the week from now on...:p
  57. Buzzfloyd Spelling Bee

In that case, I think this is excellent news! ;) Good luck, Hsing, come and vent at us if you need to rant.
  58. Katcal I Aten't French !

Just like the lady said :D
  59. Hsing Moderator

Great! :D I'll definitely come back to that. You'll soon hear all the rants of a technically-single-mom that isn't even allowed to flirt around! :p
  60. Marcia Executive Onion

My father died yesterday. :cry:

Maljonic has been very good to me. :heart:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.