Members' News

Discussion in 'BOARDANIA' started by Silmaril, Jul 4, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Maljonic Administrator

Marcia and I are on holiday in Cambridge until Monday, the one in England that is. :)
  2. Katcal I Aten't French !

Happy hol's Mal and Marcia ;)

Now all I have to do is think of something cheap to do with the 2 weeks we have left...
  3. Bradthewonderllama New Member

Tamyra, my well wishes to you. I too hope that he reconciles with his family before another loved one passes on.

In my news, Mowgli and I are having a wonderful time in Galway, Ireland for the week. Currently using an internet cafe.
  4. Garner Great God and Founding Father

hey yanqui, have you tried tellin them YOU'RE irish? ;)
  5. spiky Bar Wench

All these people on holiday! I'm so jealous... Have fun all.

I'm gonna depress everyone now and say that my boyfriend's gran died on the weekend. She was 94 and died in her sleep, so it was the kind of death everyone hopes for, unless you're aiming to be Jim Morrison.

I can't make it back to Adelaide for the funeral so my partner has to go by himself, which makes me feel bad that I won't be there for him. But he's already pplanning on drowning his sorrows with his brothers.
  6. Faerie New Member

School starts tomorrow. :( Enough said.
  7. Katcal I Aten't French !

**Spanks Garner with a kipper**
  8. Ba Lord of the Pies

It's shocking how prevalent suicide by god has become in this more desperate, frenetic society.
  9. Katcal I Aten't French !

Meh, if you're going to go, you may as well have fun on the way. And no, I don't mean the number-plate game...
  10. OmKranti Yogi Wench

but...the number-plate game is so much fun.
  11. Katcal I Aten't French !

Are you contesting the fun-value of spanking Garner with a kipper ? :shock:
  12. Buzzfloyd Spelling Bee

I have a stinking cold, and am recovering from another round with the old depression. As I have just been explaining to Doors, depression is something I live with all the time, but I can usually manage OK with it. It's when there are other stress factors going on that I stop being able to cope.

It's like being permanently knurd, then, when I'm stressed out, feeling extra bad on top of it all. But I believe I have been suffering from depression since at least the age of 5, so I can't really imagine being any other way now.
  13. Candeleena New Member

Is there a cure for chronic depression?
    For me there is nothing better than a holiday. I have just returned from something I would say is a fantasy convention with a lot of live action role plays. I have heard role playing is used by therapists to get rid of certain unwanted behaviours in patients, or to make them accustomed to some desired behaviours. Well, having spent full three days as a wise shaman and soothsayer I can't be sure what behaviours I can have learnt now ... :? I hope I am still able to operate in normal society. And I have definitely had a mega-great time.

As you may have noticed, I have got a new avatar. I loved the old one, but the copyright owner complained to me. I hope the owner of this one has a more relaxed approach to his possessions.
  14. Buzzfloyd Spelling Bee

Anti-depressants might help, but, as far as I am aware, there is no cure for chronic depression.
  15. OmKranti Yogi Wench

Absolutely not!
  16. TamyraMcG Active Member

According to the Beloit University's Mindset list, their incoming freshmen have never even played the car-plate game. Game boy strikes again, I presume.
  17. Katcal I Aten't French !

Remember that scene in one of the Indiana Jones movies where this voodoo priest rips a guys beating heart out of his chest and holds it in front of him, and the guy's still alive ?

Well I feel just like that right now.
  18. Faerie New Member

What exactly is the car-plate game?
  19. Dane New Member

I know how you feel, I didn't do as well as predicted, i did well but no A*s unfortunately :( I agree on the studying thing, I think that being so arrogent as to believe that i would do well on reviseing twice was a BIG mistake. One that i wont be makeing again, ever.

I told my girlfriend what I'd done and she was extremly upset, fortuneatly she hasn't broken up with me but she has banned me from alchohol for at least two years and banned me from ever talking to the other girl (not that i was intending on talking to her anyway).

In other news, I havm't signed on for college yet... I think college starts next week, I need to sign on for college. I may have also been kicked out of my home :( I may now have to live with my step-dad rather than my mum.

I also got some more clothes for college (hopefully) with my money that I actually worked for (I'm so proud), I got some CDs for some peoples birthdays and I got three T-shirts and some jeans, not bad for £90. I'm currently wearing my new hong-kong phooey* T-shirt :D I'm gonna wear my ghost busters T-shirt tommorow.

*heres the DVD series for those that don't know who hong kong phooey is
  20. fairyliquid New Member

I managed one A*. In english lit. Which is funnily enough the exam I thought I had done worst on :S

It was a bit depressing watching everyone compare all the A*'s they got. My school is pretty competitive so all I got asked for a week afterwards were how many a* I got. I was about to throttle someone. I looked all the more pathetic beside my straight A friends jumping around and bragging :(

Anyway, onwards and upwards. I'm in IB and probably doing better than I ever did at GCSE so no worries. I'm at the top of the school so all the little 1st graders stare in awe...it's really sweet.

Now I have ridiculous amounts of work and need to sort out the problem of overlapping activities. Or learn to be in two places at once. I wish the latter were possible.
  21. Hsing Moderator

I'm struggling with a layout job. Something for a congress one of my uni's institute is hosdting. I don't ever want for scientists again. I mean, I wasn't hoping for anyone to catch the deadline anyway, but they don't seem to grasp the fact that with a newspaper style thing like this you can't wait with printing until Prof Prof Dr comes around to write his article in another month or so!
  22. Hex New Member

Don't despair fairy. I only got one A* for my GCSEs and I was predicted for three of them. And it was in Religion! How embarrasing is that?!
    But yeah, GCSE's mean nothing when it comes to Uni. I made it to University without much trouble.

Though now I must go and do my laundry, so I guess you can mock me for being a poor University student.
  23. Faerie New Member

School clothes are fun, I just got a new t-shirt that says "It's not skipping school, it's Independent Field Research."
  24. QuothTheRaven New Member

For the benifit of an ignorant yank, could someone explain what the GCSE is. I have gathered that it is a british test, but beyond that I know nothing about it.
  25. Buzzfloyd Spelling Bee

General Certificate of Secondary Education, national exams taken at 16. They replaced the old O-Level.
  26. Mynona Member

Uni started again. Had the worst lecture, ever. The course is 'linguistic survey' and that means we're going to look at how English, as a language, develeoped into that which we speak/read/write today. Which would be a great course. Unfortunately the lecturer is crap. She speaks so quiet you have to struggle to hear her from the front row, she speaks very very slowly and all she says is copied right out of the textbook.

The second course that runs parallell to the 'Ling. surv.' is Written Proficiency B (continuation of the A course done last term) and... I don't really need it. At least I don't think so. I had one misstake on the exam last semester, I scored highes on the VOC (vocabulary test) out of all swedish students and I have no idea why we read that course. I didn't learn anything during spring and I dont' think I'll learn anything now either.

So, what could have been a great start turns out to have become... mush. I prefer the grammar course to this.
  27. Buzzfloyd Spelling Bee

Mynona, I don't know how indepth the linguistic survey course is, but I have a copy here of my Grandpa's thesis (he studied linguistics at Oxford and speaks about ten languages fluently and several others passingly), which is a 'brief account' of the development of the German language. Parts of it are also relevant to the development of the English language, as the two share common roots. If this sounds like it would be useful, I could do you a copy and post it over.
  28. Hsing Moderator

Why, Katcal?
  29. KaptenKaries New Member

Whatcha studying? Linguistic Survey, Written Proficiency. Could it be journalism perhaps?
  30. Buzzfloyd Spelling Bee

She's learning to teach English.
  31. Katcal I Aten't French !

Oh I had just decided to leave the on-line game that had filled up a large part of my life for the last 5 years, and posted my goodbye on the forum. It hurt like hell... I just hope things will get better soon and I can go back there, there are too many evil trolls* there and being a mod (one of the 3 left out of 12) has become too much for me, I just can't make my brain think like an evil troll and it's killing me having to.

Mynona, that's tough luck, I have had lecturers like that at Uni, fortunately it was in a subject I didn't like anyway, so I wasn't missing much, but this guy would just hand out photocopies at the beginning of the lesson and then read them, in a deeply boring way. The subject is indeed interesting, I did a bit of it at Uni here, I'm with Grace on this one, read up on it from other sources, it's worth the effort.

*evil trolls are like normal stupid trolls, but they can think, they lurk, and prepare and plot ways to piss other people off...
  32. missy New Member

Oh Kat! things will get better honey, don't worry.

Is there any chance you and the people on the other board can do like the guys do here and get rid of the Evil trolls?
  33. Katcal I Aten't French !

Well, they're working on it but it's got to a point where you have to either give in or join the SS and hunt the bastards down and kill them. And I'm just lousy with a machine gun. It was driving me nuts, you can't say anything to them because they're only just not disobeying the rules, it's all subtle little digs at people, and there's nothing you can prove is nasty, as it's all role-paly, they can just winge that you don't understand their creativeness and the mods are all bastards for crushing their freedom of speech. But hey, we'll wait and see... Maybe my leaving will make the admin see there's a real problem and get a move on to get the new version on line. It has only been "pending" for the last 4 years :cooler:

Thanks wendy and Hsing for asking anyway ;) I'll stop ranting on about it and get on with sillier things ;)
  34. TamyraMcG Active Member

My brothers are planning on taking my great nephew to the Steam Thresher's Reunion in Rollag. It is a pretty big thing around here. I haven't been there in decades, I think once was enough for me. I will be curious to hear how much fun a 20 month old kid has seeing 100 year old farm machinery in action. My sister's kids and husband are going, too.

One of my cousin's practically plans his life around these Steam Threshing shows. He'd probably give his left nut to be a real farmer but he probably will never manage to pull that off, the government has even stopped counting farmers in the census, they are such a rare bird.

My refridgerator stopped cooling the refridgerator compartment but the freezer is still working fine, I will have to throw out the whole contents of the fridge, hopefully before a new lifeform evolves in there( I might be too late). We have already bought another refridgerator but until my mother-in-law moves into an apartment in town I doubt she will actually let us have it. We were going to trade her our old one until she made her move but there goes that idea. :?

I just hope I get to have a little fun on Labor Day, The plant will shut down for that one day. I have to clean scales on Sunday so I'd better get a little sleep.
  35. Hex New Member

Hope your nephew has fun Tamyra. Can't say the thought of steam-threshers thrill me at the moment, but give me another couple years in farm country and we'll see how it all goes.

So, I've survived the first two weeks of University and have to say that I'm enjoying it all immensly. The food in the cafeteria is good, better than I expected. -- though I need to avoid the ice cream like the plague, it'll be the reason I gain the Freshman Fifteen! Damn you fudge sauce!!

I love my classes. My professor for Classical Mythology wears rollerskates during lecture, which is most amusing. And on Friday I got my first paper back in my honors seminar -- English 189H: Civilization in Literature -- and I got an A in it.
    My first A, I'm so happy and proud. :D
    So even though I do nothing but read when class is out, it seems to be paying off!

I've made lots of new friends, but still have the comfort zone of my friends from high school. I love the girls on my floor in the residence hall. We're all crazy!
    And I really hit the roommate jackpot. Even though she joined a sorority, I can't hold that against her because she's not a party girl in the slightest. What are the chances that they'd room two teetotallers together?! We're also both in long distance relationships, which means she doesn't mind when I talk to Charles on the webcam for two hours straight.

So yeah, I love college, it's a billion times better than high school!
  36. Bradthewonderllama New Member

Spiky, my condolences. How's he doing now?

Garner, if I can ever track down my dad and beat his birth certificate out of him I could wrangle dual US/Irish citizenship. That would be cool, but would pretty much ban me from public office forever ;-)

In my news, I'm back. Galway and the surrounding area was awesome. I'll throw pictures up on my website as soon as two cds come back. In other news, work is kinda screwing me around about getting my job back. I'll try and straighten it out after the holiday (today is US labor day).
  37. spiky Bar Wench

He's OK. It wasn't unexpected but he is feeling the guilt of not talking to his gran much before she died... But I guess we all feel like that even if we speak to them on the day...

And is public office something that you're seriously considering?

President Llama... It has a ring to it :)
  38. Bradthewonderllama New Member

Heh, no. I doubt if I could even run for dog catcher ;-)
  39. spiky Bar Wench

Theres a vote for dog catchers? What kind of campaigns do they run, I wonder?
  40. peapod_j New Member

my laptop is on the frits and ive traid everything to fix it i dont know why its acting up :x i willjust have to wait untill my brother is home next time.

its my mums birthday tomorow and i have not got her a prezent yet so i beter do that. and my adotive brother is comming up with his litle girl so nthats good.

i think thats all for now.
  41. Watchman New Member

Apologies for the silence lately, been somewhat busy at work. Just to say said silence is going to be stretching a little longer as I'm being sent to the High Commission in Singapore to help with the IMF conference for a fortnight. While net access will be readily available, free time to actually use it wont be available, or so Im told :)
  42. fairyliquid New Member

I just made a giant flagella* This is what we do in the super hard I.B. diploma. We turn classrooms into giant cells. I go to a strange school.

I am actually very busy - giant flagella's aside.

Have fun in Singapore Watchman - do you want a list of laws? :p

*used for locomation in cells
  43. Watchman New Member

Heh, might come in handy, if they actually let me out of the High Comission and Hotel :( Family all think it's really glamorous to be sent on these trips but when I'm at the places I generally only get to see the sights from the inside of the taxis I end up in. Got a weekend to myself in Singapore though for a change, anywhere you'd especially recommend visiting? Preferably with shopping potential as I'm warned I'll be ritually skinned alive if I come back without appropriate gifts :?
  44. mowgli New Member

...When I read that, I pictured a giant whip, the kind that old penitent monks used to carry around, in order to beat themselves on the back. This made me worry.

Mynona, if your boring lecturer just reads from the textbook, does that mean you can read the info at your leisure and just sleep through the classes? :)
  45. Buzzfloyd Spelling Bee

Isn't the singular flagellum? :?:
  46. inwig New Member

Surprise surprise it's my mum's too. Here's wishes to them both.
  47. spiky Bar Wench

No because Flagella is actually the evil twin of Nigella, instead of being a domestic goddess, Flagella is a non-domestic demon. Although Nigella is still considered the most ubiquitous and dangerous of the two...

No news...
  48. QuothTheRaven New Member

So I got back an a essay I wrote for AP Lit... and to discovered that it had a perfect score. This surprised me, because I was thought I had done very badly.
  49. fairyliquid New Member

The hotels are pretty glamorous here...especially if your comming for the IMF in which case they'll force you into the best to make a good impression.

As for gifts and shopping - the shopping 'center' is Orchard Road which is semi-walkable from where you will be - depending on how sweaty you want to end up. Taxi's are cheap though. Orchard mostly has the shops you get anywhere else in the world though so I'd recommend going to China Town for gifts - lots of good authintic chinese stuff (Singapore is mainly chinese ethnicity) for reasonable prices.

Have fun!

Yes it is flagellum - not flagella - though I do prefer Spiky's story.....

Mowgli - i am more worried that you thought that first....

Well done Quoth!

As for me - I am no longer about to lash out in frustration from school and throw my books at teachers. Finally hockey practise has started and I got to hit lots of balls at the goalie instead. It was fun.

Now I have about 6 hours of homework to do - I am not exaggerating, if anything I am underestimating. I need to stop procrastinating....
  50. Watchman New Member

Thanks for the tip!
  51. Katcal I Aten't French !

Actually, I pictured the same thing and the photo of it in the random photo thread made me worry even more :D

I've just got back from a short holiday by the seaside... man does the Med' suck buckets ! Give me the atlantic anyday... although I can't help but admit the Carribean is the best sea on earth.
  52. QuothTheRaven New Member

The Sea of Cortez is better.
  53. mowgli New Member

I'm engaged... I think! :) ::knock wood::

As an added bonus, it's to someone I love and with whom I want to be for the rest of my life. No worries, he's been warned!

(Um, Brad, you have been warned, haven't you?)
  54. spiky Bar Wench

Congrats!! I hope he's been warned... Although you don't sound convinced that this event has taken place? This isn't olne of these cliche 'then I woke up' scenarios is it?

I expect to be invited to the wedding. You don't have worry though, barring a miracle I couldn't make it anyway. i just like collecting stationary :)
  55. Katcal I Aten't French !

It's too early in the morning for me to think. I'll just copy what spiky said. congrat's etc. :)
  56. Hsing Moderator

:) Congratulations! That's great!
  57. Buzzfloyd Spelling Bee

Congratulations to you both! :)
  58. OmKranti Yogi Wench

Haha I was just bugging Brad the other week asking when he was going to finally ask you to marry him. Glad my nagging paid off. Congrats Inna. You guys deserve all the happiness in the world.
  59. inwig New Member

Congratulations to you both.
  60. Hex New Member

Whee! Congratulations to you both! :)
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.