Members' News

Discussion in 'BOARDANIA' started by Silmaril, Jul 4, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dane New Member

Ouch, get well soon Wendy, I think that a day or two off work would do you a world of good and plenty of chocolate couldn't do too much harm ;)
  2. Katcal I Aten't French !

Awwwwww, poor Wendy. **pillow hug** Chocolate is medicinal, as with all medecine, just don't overdo it ;) Besides, trying to loose weight won't work if you're feeling lousy... Chocolate and hugs, now.
  3. Buzzfloyd Spelling Bee

Don't go overmedicating though... We don't want to hear from Dave that, on top of everything else, you went into a diabetic coma and got rushed into hospital!
  4. Victimov8 New Member

I find it amazing how many foods are 'bad' and how many aren't...
    It really is odd!

No diabetic coma - please!!!
  5. missy New Member

Well sod the bad stuff, yesterday is gone.

I have had a morning of Doctors and nurses and not in a fun way......

All is well with me though, i have very good circulation in my feet which cheered me up immensley since i worry i might lose toes to poor blood movement, and i have tri somethingorother which means that i have a stong pulse in my feet. So all good there.

To put a top turn on the day though, I LOST 5 POUNDS this week! YAAAAY it means i lost the two i put on last week to the drink that shall not be mentioned and lost a further 3.

My face may be battered and bruised but my smile is from ear to ear right now!
  6. Pepster New Member

I got my car back from the panel beaters today, and it is glorious :)
  7. TamyraMcG Active Member

Yeah for good circulation and and good repair jobs!
  8. Buzzfloyd Spelling Bee

Yay indeed! :)
  9. Hsing Moderator

Seconded! Or thirded? I don't know. :)
  10. Hsing Moderator

Slight migraine attack. Of the last twenty four hours, I spent 20 asleep or half asleep.
    I felt oddly good after that...
  11. Katcal I Aten't French !

I godda bluddy cold. 'm tired and godda bugged up dose.

Bugger.
  12. KaptenKaries New Member

Four weeks ago one of our project managers approached me and asked if I wanted to do an extra project, out of business hours. This project was important to him but not important enough to the company to prioritize my work time to do it. I thought about it, did a rough calculation on how much time I thought it would take, and we agreed on a set price on delivery.

Now, this project has been a really bumpy road. It depended on a couple of external deliveries that were delayed. Also, I had done a miscalculation on how much time it would take me, which led to frustration because my set price would not be worth as much per hour if it took me three times the time I thought it would take.

But now, finally, half an hour ago, I finished the project. I feel so good not having to worry about it anymore. The first deadline is on tuesday, and after that deadline I had two more things to sort out that could wait two weeks more. But tonight I got it all done, so part of it is two weeks ahead of schedule. No more late nights for me!

Also, I quit my job two weeks ago, but that is completely unrelated. I'm starting on a new job in April that I really look forward to. :-D
  13. Buzzfloyd Spelling Bee

Good for you, KK!

Hsing, glad you feel better. :) Kat, hope you feel better soon.
  14. Hsing Moderator

Sounds like the twin of my last layout job, KK...
    Also: Good if you found a better job. Does this relate the post you made lately about how monotonous your life seems to you?
  15. KaptenKaries New Member

Yes, partly. It's a change. It pays better, it's with people I've worked with before that I really like, and it's more developing. Don't get me wrong, I like my current job too, but I've been here for three and a half years and it's time for a change.

On a more personal note, I've talked a lot this weekend to a friend I haven't seen for a long time, that I've missed.

For the money I get from the extra project I just finished I'm gonna buy an SLR, and I think it'll be a Nikon D80. So you'll be seeing me participating in the photo competitions and whatnot.

Life is sweet in Stockholm now! :)
  16. Bradthewonderllama New Member

17. TamyraMcG Active Member

KK, good for you :)
  18. Andalusian New Member

Thanks to a double of Visual Arts today, I have green ink on my uniform and my arms look they belong to a rainbow-blooded emo.
  19. jaccairn New Member

congratulations KK.

Hope you're feeling less bunged up Kat.
  20. Katcal I Aten't French !

Dope, it's got worse... I went to the doctor's this morning and he offered to let me off work for a few days... geez, when I'm dreaming of getting some rest time he never offers to do that, but as soon as I can't accept because of the job and the moving and everything, he does and I have to refuse a few days rest, especially after having slept less than 3 hours last night. Life is just not fair !
  21. KaptenKaries New Member

It is, it's just that I've borrowed a great deal of fairness off've you. I'm sure you'll get it back some day.
  22. Andalusian New Member

Urgh, ever since my little brother got diagnosed with Asperger's Syndrome, my parents seem to have come to the conclusion that everyone in my family must have Asperger's as well.

Dad is now using the dismissal "this is just evidence of your Asperger's" every time I disagree with him.

Apparently if I didn't have Asperger's Syndrome, I wouldn't have a problem with my mother showing off pictures of my boyfriend to random people I've never met.
  23. Katcal I Aten't French !

Adele, blame it on Coppe, it's all his fault for being a photo-hunk :D (it's the hair, I tells ya, the HAIR !! :D)
    Bad luck for your bro', all mental problems suck, for the patient and the family, good luck to you all and hang in there...
  24. Andalusian New Member

Oh, I don't care about my brother. I'm glad he got diagnosed; just affirms what I've been saying for years - he's crazy.

It's that my dad has taken this and used as another way to be smarmy and condescending to me. He won't admit that anyone could possibly disagree with him without being wrong in the head. I disagree with him, therefore I'm autistic.
  25. Katcal I Aten't French !

Yay ! My baby nephew was born today, and unlike his little sister he came on time and naturally...
  26. mr_scrub New Member

I have to do a stupid heritage project for school and it's booooring. I'm doing it now. Oh and Congratulations to Katcal as well.
  27. Hsing Moderator

Congratulations! :)
  28. Katcal I Aten't French !

:( Guinea pig is dead, we have no idea what happened, he was fine yesterday, no wounds or signs of fighting, he was eating fine, and we just found him dead his morning... :(
  29. mr_scrub New Member

That really sucks, I'm sorry. :cry:
  30. Katcal I Aten't French !

Yeah, it hurts... we only had him for about 2 weeks, he was just getting used to us and he was very sweet. We buried him in the park, under a small pine tree. I hope he had a good time while he was with us.
  31. mr_scrub New Member

I remember you posting that he had hiccups. :(
  32. Katcal I Aten't French !

Yeah, but that lasted for about 30 seconds, he seemed fine, he was active, eating, drinking, no sneezing, hair or weight loss, funny behaviour, the food was all normal guinea pig food... maybe he was already ill when we bought him, or the rabbit killed him somehow, but he had no injuries that we could see, no bleeding, and they had both ignored each other from the start, no agressivity on either side, nothing... strange. :(
  33. Andalusian New Member

Aww :(

Guinea pigs can be quite fragile. But it is suggested that you don't keep them with rabbits, because not only are rabbits much bigger and stronger, they are also more aggressive.

Also, guinea pigs can die from shocks, like loud noises and sudden changes in temperature.

One of our baby guinea pigs died at two weeks old, same story. Nothing wrong with him until he suddenly dropped dead. No scratches or marks, so we think he was scared by something.
  34. Buzzfloyd Spelling Bee

I'm sorry to hear it, Katcal. :( ::hugs::

Adele, your dad is unbelievable!
  35. missy New Member

Kat Thats awful. Poor thing.

We have had many guinea pigs over the years, I still have the mom (Missy Mom as she is affectionatly called) and she is 5 years old now. I am expecting her to go in the not too distant future :( that will be a sad day. I will miss her screaming and chattering to Elmo, the bird.

Don't be too down hearted. Also i disagree with the "not with Rabbits" comment. We have had Rabbits and Guinea pigs together for years. Guinea pigs are alot tougher than you think. My mom had one called Chatterbox who lasted for 8 years (god knows how, they used to keep her in a kennel with an old fire guard converted into a run!) she had a Rabbit called Domino for 3 years and another one called Fluff for 5 years after that.

They are so rewarding when you hear them talk to you for the first time hun. Seriously don't give up. Dave wasn't to sure about Missy Mom when she moved in here but i think he will be as devastated as i will when she goes.
  36. missy New Member

Forgot to add....

Went to the gym today and got measured. I have lost as total of 8.75 inches from various places.

Diet must be doing something.
  37. TamyraMcG Active Member

Way to go, Missy. I'm glad you are getting positive results for your hard work.
  38. Katcal I Aten't French !

Yay for you Wendy, great news...

I know they usually get along ok with rabbits, and our two seemed to be basically ignoring one another, but the rabbit is now 2, and a non-neutered male, pig was only 2 months old, so he may not have been up to even a bit of boisterous boy-bunny activity... I think next time we'll keep them in seperate cages for a lot longer, if not for good, and maybe get 2 pigs together... But I think I personnally need a little grieving time, he was a lovely pig and he was just getting used to being held, and to us big blobs moving around near him...
  39. Hsing Moderator

:hugs: What a mean week. I'm sorry.
  40. Buzzfloyd Spelling Bee

If your rabbit isn't neutered, I would seriously recommend keeping future guineas apart from him, Kat.
  41. Katcal I Aten't French !

I had my leaving do at lunch time, it's strange to finally realize I'm leaving the people I have spent 8 hours a day with for the last 5 and a half years... I have many reasons for leaving the job and the company, but I'm still sad to leave the actual people (most of them, at least) and to think that I only discovered the best of them over the last year or so, even less for the new guy I really get on well with... Oh well, here it goes I guess, time to move on... Tomorrow evening I start a new life...

Edit : they were really sweet and gave me a leaving card, a pottery chicken (yeah, I'm a chicken person too, not just a rabbit one...) and 100€ vouchers in a garden/interior decoration shop... Awwww !
  42. Katcal I Aten't French !

I was reading Reaper Man on my way to work... I wonder if the Death of Rats does guinea pigs too... **in a funny (weird, not haha) mood**
  43. spiky Bar Wench

I believe he does all rodent animals (of which I think guniea pigs are one)...

In Hogfather Susan says to the DoR that she saw him when he came for Twyla and Gawain's guinea pigs. If that makes you feel in better...

*SQUEAK*
    Edit: Tags fixed but they weren't showing right in preview...
  44. Katcal I Aten't French !

Well, yeah, kinda... A DW celebrity came to my house, yay... **half-hearted cheer**
  45. Pepster New Member

Busy Busy busy. One week into the PhD.

I have moved into a new building (chemical engineering) with great facilities and really good air-con. I'm loving it even if I have spent the week reading journals on my computer instead of playing with cool toys in the labs.

Add to that, today was my last shift at the service station ever :D

Happy times, I'd write more but a storm is coming.
  46. spiky Bar Wench

Good luck with the PhD pepster... I'm still plodding along with mine and I've still got ages to go. So depressed.

I took your advice on how to spend my money and have joined to ranks of the mortgage laden. Just to add to my stress levels Dave and i bought a house and Land package in a suburb nearby. So not only will I have the stress of a huge mortgage we will also have to build a house over the next 6 months. In order to get my PhD done I've bunked off responsibility to Dave to chose everything... although I think he likes the colour beige a bit too much, we'll see how we go.

Wish me luck

:?
  47. Buzzfloyd Spelling Bee

Good luck, Spiky!
  48. jaccairn New Member

Good luck Spiky. Do you get to choose the design of the house or just the fixtures and fittings and decoration?
  49. mazekin Member

Good luck Spiky, and unfortunately, I think that guys called Dave have a thing about beige and magnolia. They are the only colours my brother Dave would let me paint our house, although with any luck and if the bank take their fingers out of their ::expletive deleted::'s my interior will be a nice lavender colour after I pay the idot off and kick him out of my house.

I've just spent the last 15 days in hospital (got home on friday) finding out that I have diabetes (not too serious) and severe hypertension (was on the verge of having a stroke). Only 1 of those days consisted of them not knowing what was wrong with me. The rest was me waiting for my blood pressure to come down (6 days) and for the Diabetes nurse to come and have a chat with me (the other 8 days) and explain that, yes, the fact that you have diabetes is the reason you practically hibernated for the past 3 years.

Hosptials suck...

As does finding out the day you go back to work from Hospital that they are reducing your department (ie. You are probably being made redundant, but we aren't telling you who is going to stay and who is going to go! Yip-bloody-ee)
    ...and they wonder why I have high blood pressure...
  50. Buzzfloyd Spelling Bee

Yikes, Maz! Be careful, girl. :shock:
  51. spiky Bar Wench

Take care Mazekin. I hope you can manage the diabetes thing and that work doesn't undo the effort by being bastards.

The house design is fairly standard, although we can make some changes. mostly we can chose fixtures and finishes... My beef is that I'm joining the ranks of those people in big fuck-off houses on titchy postage stamp sized blocks of land, where all the house look at each other and you don't want to go outside because your neighbour can see you while lying in bed. but we can't afford anything else so I'll have to get over it.
  52. Hsing Moderator

I've packed my first boxes. We are moving. Should I dissapear for a while during the following weeks, I am in the former Eastern Bloc.
  53. KaptenKaries New Member

Good luck with the moving, hope your new home is everything a home should be.
  54. spiky Bar Wench

Achtung baby!

Have fun. I'm sure the Eastern bloc can't be that bad. After all they came up with... um ... um... East Germans!
  55. Nester New Member

God hates me. That's the basics. My monitor blew up a while ago so while I just re-established my internet connection I couldn't see it and I just got turned down for the promotion at work I was almost guaranteed to get because they wanted someone more "experienced." Even though the experienced person just started with the company in October. Unofficially my boss pulled me aside after work and said he was overruled because the district manager felt I'm too young yet and she also felt that our store needs a female presence on the management staff.

So I didn't get the job because I'm young and male....oddly enough I think most all of my problems can be traced back to those two things.
  56. Buzzfloyd Spelling Bee

Sorry to hear it, Nester. :( I hope you get some good news soon to counteract the crap!
  57. spiky Bar Wench

Well I've been away from the board for a couple of days because of a massive storm that hit Canberra and forced the uni to shut down because the of the damage see pics below for some of the fun. Kepp in mind that its summer here for these very wintery looking photos.

Different parts of the campus had hail stones the size of a cricket ball and there was over a foot of these which all dropped in an hour. So 60 buildings were damaged some very severely, while power and computing and telephones were also cut. We get back into to teaching on Monday. In the meant time I've been working on my PhD in the pub and have been strangely productive. But I'll ask you guys for feedback in a liitle while.

the photos:

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]
  58. Hex New Member

I'm back

Hello all, looks like I've finally returned. I've been absent for a while thanks to a tempermental internet connection, never being near the internet except when studying, working way too hard, taking classes, dropping classes, spending time with amigos and getting incredibly stressed out.

Luckily things seem to be stabilizing somewhat. I finally have a bearable course load, a class about writing fiction stories that I love, a potential job, and spring break on the horizon.
    Now that I have internet again, I thought I'd return to le board -- in time for a shiny new update! I love the new layout!
    Hope all is well with everyone: sorry to hear about the horrendous weather Spiky -- we've had some of that here in Nebraska too -- The University was canceled yesterday and I didn't leave my dorm at all. And they've closed interstate 80 in Iowa. The blizzard does not seem to want to go away despite the impending spring break.
    Not that I have anything planned.
    But anyway, I am back, and should be posting more regularly now that I have the internets. :)
  59. Andalusian New Member

Cool, snow!

I want to see snow :(

My internet decided to stop working all day today, just when I was actually motivated enough to do the million and one assignments I have. So frustrating!
  60. Buzzfloyd Spelling Bee

Spiky, those are fairly mind-blowing pictures! A foot of hail in an hour?? Also, looking forward to reading the PhD!

Hex, good to see you back! :)
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.