Members' News

Discussion in 'BOARDANIA' started by Silmaril, Jul 4, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rincewind Number One Doorman

I'm going to wales for a week.

I expect each and every one of you to cry a river of tears for my absence.

These rivers will form lake Bob.

:(
  2. Maljonic Administrator

I'm crying already for the poor people of Wa... I mean for the temporary loss of a valued community member! :)
  3. sleepy_sarge New Member

But....can Bob swim?.....hopefully he will bob up and down on the surface

Have fun!
  4. sampanna New Member

Bob's sad because Lake Bob is drying up. There, now we know the real reason.

Let's break out the champagne :D
  5. Rincewind Number One Doorman

....I can only imagine those are the champaige bottles of Saddness and Depear. Or prephaps your planning on getting controllably drunk* in the hope that you'll spend most of this week blacked out so you don't to spend a waking momment knowing i'm not here.

*You those champiane becuase evcen with your goaty for still a girly girl.
  6. TamyraMcG Active Member

Work has been fairly strange this week, Thursday we had power outages on the line I was on and the emergency lights did not work where I was picking fries. We got sent to the lunchroom for safekeeping a couple of times, everyone else had power (we get power from two companies), but the water in the bathrooms was pumped by the electrical system that was out. We finally got going again at lunch time.

Friday I was on the same line but the only thing weird was being short of dumpsters so I had to lug my bucket of bad fries over one conveyor and use another, then at 2pm an hour before I was supposed to get off work, Muffy comes with the dreaded clipboard and asks if I can stay over. So I say yes to that so I won't have to do it two days in a row( Sunday, we have to stay to clean the plant so we can shut it down for Labor Day and start it back up the next day). I got to "flip" Mac patties the first couple of hours, then they started line 2 and I got to go to the trimtable,

After working 12 hours I did not want to cook and my husband was helping his nephew get his trailer ready to move so I voluteered to bring pizza. We had a nice visit until my mother-in- law showed up, and wouldn't come into the house because we were there. I was mortified and relieved at the same time.

Today, Saturday, I found out the girl who was relieving me at breaktime yesterday has gone on maternity leave. She should have 3 or 4 weeks before the baby comes, but she has gotten very pregnant the last couple of weeks so maybe she will have the baby sooner.
  7. mowgli New Member

... Your mother-in-law wouldn't come into your house because you were THERE?...
  8. fairyliquid New Member

im off to india

*waves*
  9. Tephlon Active Member

Wow Fairyliquid, that's cool. Enjoy yourself!
  10. Andalusian New Member

I just asked someone out for the first time ever and they said yes! Finally, I no longer have to be desperate and alone.

Many thanks to Garner for his knowledge of everything useful and much not so.

:supz:
  11. Garner Great God and Founding Father

Just call me Dr. Lurv.
  12. Hermia New Member

Oops, sorry. I assumed your location was York, England.

My partner and I went out together for the first time in months last night, leaving Dawn with her grandparents. It was brilliant! We went to a wedding reception in a small B&B with a fantastic water garden (pools, waterfalls, Koi, bridges, etc), and wooden swings hanging from the trees. Each swing holds up to three people.
    I thought I wouldn't know anyone, but this town is so small that I actually saw one of our old primary school teachers, and two people from my dramatics society, so that was a bonus!

Edited to remove mystery unfinished sentence that I don't remember typing.
  13. Maljonic Administrator

Sounds great, nice change I bet?

P.S. Marcia's location is in York, England; but the story was about her parents who live in America, in New York. :)
  14. Hex New Member

*hugs Andalusian* Go you!!
    Hopefully you did a better job of it than I did and did not babble incoherently for five straight minutes. It's a wonder things worked out the way they did!

Anyways, well done you, and I hope you have a great time!

On the subject of people you ask out, my boyfriend is calling me today! I am happy since I haven't talked to him on the phone for... oh, a week.

Also I need to think of a good research topic for my psych class and do a lot of reading. Busy I am.
  15. Toaf New Member

indeed, well done Andalusian. Ah, the joys and perils of teenage dating! :lol:
  16. mowgli New Member

Andalusian, you're way braver than I am :) The only time I actually asked a guy out (as a prom date), I had to wait for him to be away in college first - just in case he said no :p
  17. Faerie New Member

I went to the Renaissance Festival today and discovered how rude people can be. Two ladies sat behind us and talked about someone's wedding for the entire show so I couldn't hear and a little boy stood up in front of me so I couldn't see. A little boy went up and kicked the performer at the end of the Ded Bob show(ventriliquist act with a skeleton puppet). At a different show with Whipboy a guy interupted the show and harrassed the performer for at least 5 minutes. Even with the few rude people it was fun though.
  18. TamyraMcG Active Member

Mowgli, my mother-in-law wouldn't come inside her daughter's house because we were there, she knows my husband is upset with her and doesn't want to see her and she is apparently willing to let that be the way things are between them. This was the first time in over a year that we have even come close to seeing the woman. She didn't know we were there, sometimes she gets lonely and just drives over there, as late as 11pm, if they have the lights on she comes on in, I got the impression that my brother-in-law doesn't like that much.

He will have a reprieve, of sorts, this winter. He and his wife are going to spend the winter with his mother, she may even buy them a house near her in Phoenix. If my mother-in-law hadn't kicked us to the curb(for the crime of paying her mortgage) last year she might be hanging around my house even now. As much as I wish my husband would forgive her, and bring her back into his life, I sort of dread having to put up with her again.

One psychological theory about marriage is that we choose partners that will let us finish working on the issues we have with our parents, I would so like to think that I am nothing like Jon's parents and I know he would rather not be compared to mine, either. Unfortunately I sort of think this theory has some potential to be true. I just have to be on the lookout for becoming too much like his mother.

Jackass, the movie, is playing on Comedy Central now and I need to get some sleep so I can have fun tomorrow, my sister and our friend from San Diego are coming to pick me up and we are going shopping, mostly at the tourist traps on US hwy 71, Northern Traditions, Summerhill Farm, and the World of Christmas, maybe the Candle Factory, but probably not Utke's Country furniture (they have lots of bookshelves shaped like canoes and twig furniture there)

I sure hope I can pull a good day out of tomorrow, today has been going down hill pretty far, I had to work 12 hours, including a plant clean-up, my husband wasn't home and still isn't at 1:20 am, and while I talked to my sister after work about our plans, she told me our Aunt Rita's mother passed away. The best thing that has happened to me today is that I washed my hair and it is really curly and soft and I won't have to put a hairnet and bumpcap on for 2 days.
  19. Ivan_the_terrible New Member

Congrats! :)

*oh, where are my years :( *

:)
  20. Maljonic Administrator

On the side of your head? :)
  21. Ivan_the_terrible New Member

:D
    There are some... but they are too old, they don't elate like in the teenage past... :(
  22. Hex New Member

My room has been fully unpacked and it is now habitable after ages of being swamped in boxes!!
    I hold the record for having the only room in the house that is box-free. Woo hoo!
    Now I just need to get my posters up ( My hobby is making collages and sticking them up on my wall). Sadly I cannot start on that until I have studied for psychology, since I have a quiz tomorrow. :?

I also found a great fair trade shop to do some volunteer work in down in the town center. I need twenty hours by October 24th to get a passing grade in Citizenship Issues. I hope I can do it!

Well, time to get back to work on my psychology.
  23. Marcia Executive Onion

Good for you Andalusian!

Good luck on your quiz, Hex.
  24. spiky Bar Wench

Well I'm back for swimming in alcohol and fishing for serenity... There was plenty of alcohol but no fish unfortunately none of the little blighters would let me catch them besides a toad fish and those don't count cos you can't eat them...

So my weekend was very relaxing and being back at work is ultra depressing. I kind of feel like Bob :(
  25. mowgli New Member

Welcome back, Spiky :). I'm sorry you didn't get to eat your catches, but on the other hand you can say that no fish had been harmed during the making of Spiky's serenity.

Good luck volunteering, Hex!

I just came back from a mini-reunion, to find out that, all together, 8 of my friends are in various stages of medical profession. Plus a friend's sister is now dating a doctor, as well. This is getting a bit silly. I feel like I'm inside a tightening circle of doctors.

I also found out that, after a wedding that was heavy on dancing, it's good to have friends who understand enough to delete some of the digital pictures before sending them to everyone :p
  26. Delphine New Member

I went to the new forest for the weekend with a couple of friends. Which was fun. Lots of trees, lots of wild ponies roaming about randomly. And big country pubs.

On Sunday we went on a 15 mile bike ride. I thought my legs were going to fall off.

It was just a last minute break thing before we all go back to uni. Sigh, uni. I don't want to go back! I'm not ready for it! :shock:

... ... horses, cats, calm blue ocean...
  27. fairyliquid New Member

Im in India

*waves*

It's....interesting....

Better than everyone would have me believe anyway...I think I had some dodgy surces though. Anyway, schools nice (they are thinking of moving me up a grade :? ) and I'm still alive so in my books hat qualifies as a decent place to live.
    anyway: spiky, better to eat the fish someone goes to all that bother to catch and someone else is nice enough to cut it up and add a lot of preservatives to :p

Hope everyone else is having a fabulous week (I cerainly am, I get a nice little week off school to come to india :) )
  28. Toaf New Member

glad it's going well fairyliquid! :)
  29. fudgecake New Member

Aaaaaah school starts tomorrow and it's the year of the dreaded GCSE!! Why God?? I thought we had a deal!!!! **pounds floor**

Ahem. Thank you. :D
  30. Saccharissa Stitcher

The week before was bad and the week we are running is worse and I am supposed to be having my summer vacations now

I am so going to organise a DMC in December. God owes me as much
  31. Electric_Man Templar

32. Delphine New Member

Decemberfest! In honour of Avgi the Overworked. :)
  33. Saccharissa Stitcher

God also owes me Heath Ledger in giftwrap so don't get your hopes up too much.
  34. Hsing Moderator

A DMC?
    In Greece?
    Cool. I wish I wasn't that broke.
    On the other hand, those on board who want to see the soccer worldchampionchip in Germany 2006 can pay me a visit, and we can declare it a DMC. That would have the advantage of not costing me that much. Of course you can be my guests.

Right now, I should be typing something entirely else, namely something abaout African art, or read a comparision of 20th century tyrannies. In my constant race against time, I am already bycotting aim ans msn, because they turned out to be a lot more entertaining, and distracting, and I'm also avoiding the telephone. After one or two chapters, though, I inevitably start to clean up the kitchen or prepare a meal.
    Damn.
    How comes it whenever I read a book just because I picked it up it keeps me awake for half nights, but as soon as its part of a paper research, the same book sends me into sleeplike trance after 30 minutes?
  35. sleepy_sarge New Member

No I haven't gone into hibernation. I've been preparing for a 6 week tour of all our Malaysian project teams. And I leave tomorrow for Kuala Lumpur, Sarawak, Brunei and Sabah. Oh joy.... :(
  36. mowgli New Member

Hope the trip turns out better than you seem to anticipate :) - looking forward to your stories!
  37. Bradthewonderllama New Member

Internet is back up in the domiciles (no short time limits), somewhat sketchy though. But hey, if that's the worse that happens, I'll be mighy thankful. Mortars and rockets are a daily occurence, but we always give better than we get, and we're finding (the engineers) a boat load of munitions, mortars and such. I get called up to the aid station every so often to help out with mass casulty incidents. So far, it's always been Iraqi army, those guys ride around in Nissan pickups with weapons attached. Doing well overall, keep on truckin' guys.
  38. Maljonic Administrator

Crickey, I don't envy you! Hope you stay well. :)
  39. Saccharissa Stitcher

Keep your head down mate and be careful with the water.
  40. Hsing Moderator

So do I! Although I do not know why Maljonic calls you Crickey. But still.
  41. Maljonic Administrator

I didn't call him Crickey, it's an exclamation; should have been: "Crickey! I don't envy you! Hope you stay well." really I suppose. :)
  42. Delphine New Member

I thought it was "Crikey!" Like: Blimey! or: Gosh! or: Egads! ;)
  43. Hsing Moderator

:D I had a vague suspicion. I just didn't want to deprive you a laugh at my cost.
  44. Maljonic Administrator

Oh yes, I spelt it wrong too; it should be 'Crikey!' like Delphine wrote it. :)
  45. Hermia New Member

Now that's just confusing. :doubt: I should have known that really, I do get the weekly instalments from Mrs G!

Anyway, I am delving yet further into the realms of real life! Tonight I begin choir practice again - my first musical endeavour since the dawn of time/time of Dawn - yay! 8) :)
  46. Delphine New Member

tee hee :)

That's cool. How is Dawn getting along?
  47. Buzzfloyd Spelling Bee

I have been on courses in Croydon, and feel half dead. Stupid courses, stupid Croydon, stupid 5am start.
  48. Faerie New Member

Delphine, I have to say that if I look at your avatar long enough it starts to look back and creep me out. :)

Anywho, I just finished my first 2 weeks of college. It's not that bad except for the online PreCalc class and the stupid english topic; adult learning. At the moment I don't feel very adult so I don't want to write about it. :( Bob feels my sadness.
  49. plaid New Member

hi everyone.

ba begged me the other day to come back and post on these lovely new boards you've got.

so i decided i'd try.

but i can't say i'll be here very often, because i'm a busy busy girl, finishing off her degree, trying to find a good job, working a horrible job so she can buy food, etc.

but I have some good news:

Today I will go in for a second interview for a job helping out with PR in the office of the Vice President for Research.
    I'm very excited and very nervous about this.

wish me luck.
  50. Toaf New Member

Hi plaid! :) Best of luck for the job.
  51. Maljonic Administrator

Yeah, good luck Plaid. And Buzzfloyd, I've had some of the worst times of my life in Croydon. :)
  52. Hex New Member

Good luck Plaid!!
    I think the job fairy is being generous, since my Dad got a job this morning *parties*, so hopefully that luck will pass to you too.

I had another quiz in psych today, but I think I at least passed this one. *phew*

And we had a debate in Citizenship class about pharmacists who refuse to give out prescribed contraceptive medication to people because it's against their religion. I might start a separate topic on this later, since it's really interesting. Plus I can't join debate club due to too much homework, so I need to do that some :D

It's Friday!! HOORAY!!

Now I need to go draw diagrams of the brain.... what fun...
    I thought I had escaped biology. Silly me.
  53. fairyliquid New Member

Im back in Singapore.

*waves*

Now I'm not moving to India until June...and could end up moving someplace other than India. My dad is moving though...so I'll wave a few more times from there. Im not sure if this is a good, or bad thing. :?

Haven't slept all night but its better to stay awake then collapse at night so you wake up at a decent time in the morning and not destroy any sense of time remaining. Unfortunately my eyes are closing... closing...closing...closed. :shock: open...closing...closing...closing... must-stay-awake....only 10 more hours...

I give up...good night..er...morning...er....almost afternoonish.
  54. Saccharissa Stitcher

Plaid, I'm very glad you decided to come back. I know what it's like, the few months before your degree, so don't worry if you cannot post as often as you would like, we understand you and we will be glad to see you whenever you can spare the time.

Hex, make a seperate thread about the pharmacists and I'll make a longer post. The short version is those pharmacists need a damn good kicking and in Greece they would have lost their licences AND have criminal charges brought upon them.
  55. Hex New Member

I left my notes in my locker Avgi, but I can remember most of it. I'll post something rant-like later today, since it really rattled my cage.

In other news:

Nebraska isn't the middle of nowhere after all!

I may be starting my volunteer work that afternoon, but It's not too far away from the Haymarket, so my Mom has agreed to drive me over. I think it would be a great discussion of my Citizenship Issues class.

edit: Here is the topic about the pharmacists. Please come and rant with me!
  56. hermes New Member

A week or so ago, my hard drive crashed. But "everything" was backed up, so no real problem there. I finally have my computer back, yay, but I'm still trying to get everything back to how it was.

Besides that, my life is mostly school and homework and such. And idiot teachers. Yes, my biology teacher snuffed out our rebellion of proper conversions after she told the class, "There are almost two miles in a kilometer." "Don't confuse everyone else" is what she told us when we tried to correct her.

I could go on and on about my teachers, but there's not much of a point to that. The only actual cool thing: my photo teacher is trying to set up a gallery where we can sell our work! :D

And I'm out of watercolor paper. Boo! :cry:
  57. Marcia Executive Onion

Good luck Plaid!

Can the job fairy save some of her magic for me as I had an interview yesterday?
  58. sleepy_sarge New Member

Our paths must have crossed. I'm now in Miri in Sarawak.

Sarge's patent time zone adjustment cure is probably not appropriate in your case, since it does involve copious amounts of alcohol.

Still I was online at 5am, so I guess it isn't that great anyway. :roll:
  59. mowgli New Member

Good luck on the interview, Marcia!
  60. fairyliquid New Member

Anyone who finds a cure for jet-lag would make a fortune. :!:

I've been to Malaysia before though I dont know if a golf resort a few miles from the crossing from Singapore really counts (I don't even play golf)

Anyway, I have womderful school tomorrow and a list of catch up work I..erm...forgot to do while in India. :D

i think I may end up doing my work during break and lunch :oops: so nothing new there. Prcrastination is an art :)
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.