Members' News

Discussion in 'BOARDANIA' started by Silmaril, Jul 4, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mowgli New Member

Tamyra, your brother sounds like a brave man :)

::knocking on wood::

Delphine, how're you feeling? I agree that going home to be sick is not the most dignified thing in the world, but you DO get better quicker :).
  2. colonesque10 New Member

I've finally finished my on and off two week training course in the land of Brum. Thank god for that. No offence to people from that region but the ones I had to deal with on a daily basis seemed so dense. It may be the accent but they also looked dense.

The course however was good and I certainly got something from it. Also because we went easy on the food and miles and only stayed over a few time we made a killing on expenses. :)

Also we went into Birmingham town last Wednesay evening for a bit of a drink, Broadstreet if anyones heard of it. All the students were back and new bar staff had started so there was a lot of training going on. In the Revolution bar there was a lad getting trained on cocktails and we got free 'Flurtini's' and 'Fruit Salads' for a an hour or so, ROCK ON! :cooler:
  3. Roman_K New Member

News... Do I have news? No news. My life is still as devoid of interesting events as it was before.
  4. colonesque10 New Member

*Gives Roman a shiny penny and a free 'dogs rule' sticker*

Hope that cheers you up Roman.

PS: I've finally started listening to that music you sent me too. I like what i've heard so far. :)
  5. Delphine New Member

Better, thanks :)

Kenny, I hate birmingham as well. The coach station is like a sick hell hole. And the Bullring centre offends my eyes. :)
  6. fairyliquid New Member

where did my week go?!?

English essay due on friday (i have a plan...thats about it)
    had hockey today (from 4 to about 7), hockey tomorrow, a bunch of IT work to catch up on (i got a bit stuck on a spreadsheet when i miss-read directions) spanish stuff to do, art coursework probably due tomorrow and its 8.40pm....i need to disconnect my internet and prevent procrastination...but...can't..just...not....possible....

all of this must be done by friday...oh dear :?
  7. Andalusian New Member

Homework is evil. Especially when you have broadband internet access and no desire to actually do any work.

Throw off the shackles of education!
  8. redneck New Member

Hey, the south has great foods. Black eyed peas, cornbread, and iced sweet tea. Fried chicken, fried fish, fried porkchops, fried okra, fried squash, fried zucchini, hush puppies, fried potatoes, the list is endless. Now I've made myself hungry. My area of the south is the worlds most popular slugburger spot. We even have the "Slugburger Festival" every year. People actually come from all over the states (and even had a few from overseas this year) to go to the festival and eat slugburgers.

The slugburger is actually really good. here is another example of it. This is my hometown.

In actual news about myself, I split wood for several hours today. Now I'm worn out, my back is hurting, and I'm hoping like hell that it rains tomorrow. One of the guys broke the handle out of the 6 pound splitter, so I had to use the 8 pound one. You would think two pounds didn't make much of a difference, but it makes a huge difference after two hours. After three hours your arms get so tired that you're just throwing the sharp end at the wood. These weren't little bitty tinker toy pieces of wood either. They were big, twisted red oak. For those of you who don't know what I'm taling about, be thankful. For those of you that do, please feel sorry for me. :cry:
  9. spiky Bar Wench

I'm just posting to make it look like I have news, but really I don't. No news, nothing to see here, move along people...
  10. redneck New Member

Stops by to look at Spiky's no news news report, gets bored and goes to eat. After talking about all that food earlier I'm going to eat. What am I going to eat, you ask. I'm going to McDonald's, getting a fish sandwich, and read some more of my book.
  11. TamyraMcG Active Member

Redneck, slugburgers sound pretty good!! We have a special recipe loose meat "burger" at the Minnesoda Fountain on Main Av. Its supposed to be a real old timey thing served with mustard and dill pickle slices.

Minnesota has lots of special foods, my family is in the wild rice business. Dad has a parching shed where wild rice is prepared for storage by roasting it over a fire and then threshing and winnowing it. He was featured in a PBS documentary that Winona LaDuke helped make a few years ago. She even had the rice shed certified organic by the state.

My sisters family has lutefisk at least once a year. She made it for us one year, I could hardly believe I actually ate that stuff. I prefer lefse and krumkakke, better yet kringle. Dried cod reconstituted with lye is just so strange.

Edit: I feel for you about the red oak. I prefer hydraulics for splitting wood if I have to split wood, I had to work a 12 hr shift myself today. They told me about it at 2:30pm, quitting time was supposed to be at 3:00pm, instead I had to go to the trimtable just in time for the line to "go down" so back to the packaging department until 4 then back to the trim table( really a 4 foot wide conveyor belt) until 7, a little friendly b*tchtin' and home at last. Tomorrow I hope I can take my grandma to visit her sister. Mom told me today that grandma fell under a parked car on her morning walk Sunday, I guess she looked pretty banged up. Dad babysat by himself today, he was proud of himself for getting the poopy pants changed all by himself.

Edit II:The paragraph above is in the wrong place. So sorry.

Mojjakka suppers and smelt frys are pretty common around here for fundraising, so are hog roasts, the Carsonville fire department does a hog roast that is so delicious my summer just isn't right if I have to miss it. Mojjakka( I am not sure of the spelling) is sort of like beef stew/soup.

Park Rapids had a Pumpkin festival this year, I wasn't aware that we grew that many pumpkins around here, but I guess potatoes just don't have the same charisma. :lol:

I confess I don't like sweet tea, in restaurants I always take a small first sip of my tea just in case, when you aren't expecting sweet it can be pretty awful. I am partial to grits, but I put milk and sugar on them, which isn't very southern. :oops:
  12. mowgli New Member

Whoohoo! I love grits! They're an awesome comfort food!
  13. fairyliquid New Member

Today was interesting...turns out a guy in my tutor group (form/homeroom) achieved the top mark in the world for his IGCSE in maths...which i should point out he did a year early. Here's me in the lowest extended class struggling along hoping for a B and he is plodding ahead getting top (as much to the top as you can go) marks. Most importantly of course, we got cake :D

Anyway...busy week...need to stop procrastination...must write essay....must finish art book, must think of an excuse for not doing IT....
  14. Rincewind Number One Doorman

Say a witch turned your fingers to stone. Fool proof!
  15. Andalusian New Member

I hate being a teenager. Why does everything have to be so bloody melodramatic?
  16. Rincewind Number One Doorman

It doesn't. ;)
  17. Maljonic Administrator

Oh come on, you're just overreacting. :D
  18. sampanna New Member

How did you manage to recognize melodrama anyway? ;)
  19. fairyliquid New Member

Because when you have a melodramatic moment you can blame it on being a teenager!
  20. Ivan_the_terrible New Member

Poor little child, what an arse-paralyzing experience. :D
  21. Hsing Moderator

A what?:D That sounds rather like a comment on the quality of the chairs to me. As for the experience... It sounds so surreal that I almost envy Mowgli. It could make a film scene.
  22. redneck New Member

This is breaking news. Om has been promoted. She is no longer a bitch. She is now a bastard. She has also been crowned king at some point. So she is now the king of bastardom. All hail the king with the finger extended in salute. Hail, Om!!

She was promoted to this position today after harassing an unnamed person because of a simple social problem. She not only harassed said unnamed person, but taunted and even rubbed it in his... erm, I mean, his/her face that she didn't have that particular social disorder. She even went so far as to, and I quote, "*points and laug(h)s*". The "h" was supplied by the editor. She spelled it incorrectly, but the meaning was still the same.

Therefore, BastardOm is king. May she live in peace. May she also be afflicted with that particular social foible that she so readily mocked the aforementioned anonymous personage for having.
  23. OmKranti Yogi Wench

Ha! Never in a million years Mr. I'm-so-anonymous.

I shall taunt you a second time. *taunts*

*Sits on Kingly throne with harem of half naked ladies while taunting*
  24. redneck New Member

See, she's doing it again!! I feel so very sorry for that particular anonymous person. I bet that he/she/it feels really badly for having that particular problem and people making fun will not help alleviate that problem, your Bastardness.
  25. Ivan_the_terrible New Member

You just have to see his perfomance. I'd visited one with my girl while being in Crimea. :cooler:
  26. Rincewind Number One Doorman

I bet the court of Bastardom rocks.
  27. OmKranti Yogi Wench

Yes, it rocks highly!

I made Nate a Duke, and this is how he repays me? For shame Nate, for shame.

I think Rincewina would be a good Dutchess, what say you?
  28. redneck New Member

Om, would a be a true Bastard Duke if I didn't do something like this?

I think Rincewina could make it as a Dutchess. I just don't know if I'd like to see her in the harem. :shock:
  29. OmKranti Yogi Wench

You bastard Redneck, now I have unholy mental images about our Rincewina. Congrats, you have now earned your Dukedom.

hehe...dukedOm. I'm everywhere.
  30. Buzzfloyd Spelling Bee

Omnipresent?
  31. OmKranti Yogi Wench

Taken from a convo we are having right now. Alph is redneck.

alph1978: did you see grace's last comment?
    alph1978: http://terrypratchettbooks.org/fortopic19-375.html
    OmKranti: lol
    OmKranti: thats good.
    OmKranti: I can't think of a suitable reply, other than lol
    alph1978: me either
    alph1978: words just failed me
    OmKranti: wow
    alph1978: they don't make the grade
    alph1978: F
    alph1978: see?
    alph1978: that's the grade they made
    OmKranti: I see

So, as you can see Grace, we are floored by the comedy genius that is you.
  32. Buzzfloyd Spelling Bee

I'm going to print this out, frame it and hang it on the wall!
  33. OmKranti Yogi Wench

Coooooool...I get a spot on gods wall.
  34. QuothTheRaven New Member

My internet conection is not working right now (I am using a school computer to post this).

I will try to get it back up and running as soon as posible.
    Meanwhile, i am stuck using school computers to do things.
  35. Perdita New Member

Well I'm back from sunny Barcelona- feeling pretty :cry: at the moment.

It is a great city to visit and I would highly recomend anyone who gets the chance to go and check it out!

I arrived on Spains biggest National Holiday- there weren fireworks, parades, human towers, crazy outdoor concerts full of mad Spanish people and huge papier mache (Sp?) kings and queens hanging about the place.... It was like they knew I was coming or something..

Anyway, a few mojitos and a pair of hand made espandrilles later and I've made it back to cold and wet Ireland.

On a brighter note my team (County Tyrone)won the all- Ireland Gaelic football championship by three points (against County Kerry)

Go Team!
  36. colonesque10 New Member

Barcelona is an amazing city. I'd also reccomend it to canyone.

I'm about to go to work for the sixth day in a row, damn overtime. So while your all sipping you tea and eating your nestle lucky charms please think of me and weep quietly to yourself for a minute or two. :(
  37. chrisjordan New Member

I miss Frosted Lucky Charms. :( They were magically delicious.
  38. Toaf New Member

I saw some in a tiny seaside village in Greece!
  39. colonesque10 New Member

They were indeed. And they had Rinso on the advert too. Well an Irish Rinso anyway. :)
  40. redneck New Member

You don't have Frosted Lucky Charms across the big pond? We still have them here, produced by General Mills. I don't ever eat them any more. There are cheaper versions that I think taste better. That may be just because it's cheaper though. :roll:
  41. TamyraMcG Active Member

I think we have Marshmallow Mateys in the pantry right now :lol:
  42. Hex New Member

I am in the process of cheering up after a 'sad day.' I found out that due to money constraints the chances of me going to London during Winter break are slim to none.
    Which means I do not see any of my friends, or my boyfriend, until June.

Yeah, thats right. JUNE.

As a result I have displaced my feelings of depression and anger into my homework, so I have completed nine essay questions with almost no trouble.
    So I'm dealing. I'm sad, but I have a feeling his parents wouldnt let him out to see me that much anyway (because they are evil and seem to dislike me for no good reason at all :evil: ), so better to wait until he comes for three uninterrupted weeks.
    Even if those weeks have to happen in June :cry:

On a happier note, I got my grades today at school. I have a B + in psych, an A in Citizenship Issues, and another A in Journalism.
    Oh yeah, I feel good. *parties*
  43. mowgli New Member

::hugs Hex::

... do you think the money situation might improve by spring break, if you get a part-time job over Xmas/winter?
  44. spiky Bar Wench

:oops: I've been off-board for a couple of days because it was a long weekend, I was at boyfriends house and the weather was great, so no posting (EM may eventually forgive me for not posting to the werewolf game but if he's going to give instructions on Friday his time he has to realise its almost Saturday for me)

ANyway, the weather here was great so I spent a lot of time on the weekend sitting in the courtyard of the local soaking up sun, warmth and alcohol in that approximate order... Only a few more weeks left of teaching and then a long hot summer awaits :)
  45. redneck New Member

That is my cereal of choice. That way you can eat breakfast and "Yarghhhhhh" your way through the day. (the marshmallow pieces are things that you would find on a pirate ship and such as that)
  46. mowgli New Member

Now you're just toying with those of us who have a long cold winter ahead, aren't you? :p
  47. spiky Bar Wench

pffft. I just sat through everyone admiring the weather while I sat in cold, shivering misery mumbling about how unfair the world is...
  48. Hsing Moderator

But... but... our summer is just over, and basically it was all sitting in cold, shivering misery mumbling about how unfair the world is...
    The world is unfair!
    :(
  49. Perdita New Member

Hmmph, this all depends on how cold your shivering misery actually is- surely it hasn't been that cold there this past couple of months during our 'summer' :roll: Spiky you've been to this part of Europe- it's cold here even when it's supposed to be the middle of summer!!

Speaking of cold I have to say I'm feeling very tired and therefore cold at the moment- Doing Quarter End and month end stuff in work (spreadsheets and the like). I'm trying to get everything finished up quickly so that I can go to a small class reunion with my ex- classmates from college on Friday night eeek it's been ten years since I started college!
  50. spiky Bar Wench

Ahhh you forget I leave near the only snow fields in the country... It snows here occassionally... Is that cold enough?
  51. Perdita New Member

Where do you live- near the Blue mountains or something?
  52. Perdita New Member

On another point. I can't see it posted anywere here but it may be somewhere...

Rinso was that the show you were working on about people's view s on Europe on TV last night on BBC2?

Edit to say: Hosted by Darragh O'Brein?
  53. Rincewind Number One Doorman

Yeppers. Did you watch it?

I was on it. I was in the backround of the precredits drinking wine!

It is the first time I've had by name in credits!

GO ME!
  54. spiky Bar Wench

Canberra... The lets build the capital on the only peice of tundra to be found for 10,000km...1.5 hours to the snow...
  55. fairyliquid New Member

go you!

nice easy week this week. I have united nations comming up (school does a big show to celebrate the multi-national community, we sell lots of food from different countries and put on a show and things so that should be fun...im selling polish food!) i am supposed to have finished my art coursework so i may want to do that. Im off to korea on sunday. Thats just about it really...if it wasn't for art I'd be pulling my hair out with boredom.
  56. Perdita New Member

Yes indeedy - GO YOU!

Well I watched some of it - it looked pretty good- is it going to be a series of programmes or is it just a one off thing?- My housemate wanted to go out to a pub quiz last night (usual monday night thing to do) so I went with her and missed the end half of your :cry: show. I was really really tired last night (see previous)- however our team won £140 (between 4 of us) for getting the picture round correct.

Canberra- sorry to say Spiky it was somewhere I never go to on my travels in Oz as it was a little off the beaten track for the route I took when I eventually got the chance to do a bit of travelling ! - but still an hour and a half away from snow- Thats a long way if you live around here!
  57. Rincewind Number One Doorman

Just a one off. I haven't really watched it myself. It's not completely my type of show- (I wanted to watch the documentary about the wolf boy on channel 5, but I think being a channel traitor wouldn't have impressed the bosses). I think it done ok though, of course, my background standing made the show!
  58. Dane New Member

Yay, Danes back! after a week of inter-less I fixed it last night. Somhow my dad managed to uninstall the network and USB drivers which we couldn't reinstall because my dads lost the instalation CD and we couldn't connect to the internet *grumble*

anyway I have gone back to school after my two week holiday and found... I'm behind with a LOT of coursework. Infact i should be doing it now.... meh. so hows everyone been?
  59. Maljonic Administrator

Welcome back Dane, you know though that it's a scientifically proven fact that posting here actually improves your coursework, even if you don't do any of it?* :D

* may be lies.
  60. Electric_Man Templar

Seeeeeeeeeee myyyyyyyyyyyyy sig, see my sig, made from real gorilla...

I'll stop there.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.