People, new and old, please introduce yourselves

Discussion in 'INTRODUCTIONS AND AVATAR TESTING' started by Mynona, Aug 21, 2005.

1. Joculator The 'Old' Fool

Welcome to the boards, Twilightpacer or is it God dag och välkomnande.**

** Let's see how good these translator programs really are :D
  2. randywine Member

Hi TwilightPacer, welcome to the board,

Randywine.
  3. Twilightpacer New Member

Thanks, now i feel welcome. :smile:

Joculator, God dag was correct but we mostly say Hej = Hi
    Välkomnande means welcoming. Welcome is Välkommen.
    I speak english fluently and i know some german, though
    admittedly my german is a bit rusty these days.
  4. Joculator The 'Old' Fool

Just goes to show translators don't work too well then. :D
    But the thought is there. :smile:
  5. Twilightpacer New Member

Of course the thought is what counts, pardon if i sounded like
    a language professor previously. :lol:
  6. July New Member

Hello Twilightpacer. I hope you'll like it here.
  7. redneck New Member

Don't worry about sounding like a pedant. Several of us are quite familiar with filling that roll on occasion. Semantics are also well played here. But, beware the stray grammar, for the grammar nazis will sweep down on you as a hawk on a rabbit. I, personally, am a big fan of commas. I will often get into trouble for including too many, unless I am being hyper-careful and actually use too few.

Welcome and enjoy your stay. The Reformed Pedants Society meets in room 3-B on the third Wednesday following the first full moon during the second quarter, but only if the next new moon is on a Monday. See you then.
  8. PaperWings New Member

Hi,
    I'm brand spanking new to this site, so I am just learning my way around.
    I've been reading Mr Pratchett's books for a couple of years now, but this is the first time I've ventured on sites about the books.

Anyway, hi again

Paperwings
  9. July New Member

Hello PaperWings, nice to meet you :smile:.
  10. Gypsy New Member

Welcome to the board PaperWings. I like your nickname...any particular story behind it?

We're a friendly bunch, though a bit quiet of late. I hope you find a home here. :)
  11. Joculator The 'Old' Fool

A warm northern welcome to you, PaperWings.

Your first fan site eh? Well you'll get used to us, we're a really friendly bunch of (insert collective noun here) when you get to know us. :D

Let the Pratchett experience begin. Hope you enjoy it.
  12. Maljonic Administrator

Hello PaperWings. :)
  13. Jockles New Member

Hi all. I am Jockles/ Jock/ Jöckel, [pimping removed]

I am 16 minus 3 weeks and also love singing in the Abbey Choir, music in general and String (if you want to ask, be prepared for a weird answer)

I have had a great time on the other forum and hope that I will also have a good time here :D:D

edited for spelling
  14. Gypsy New Member

Hi Jockles, welcome to the board.

I saw you over on the other Pratchett board too. I hope you enjoy your time here.
    We can be a nice bunch, but a lot of people have found 'life' like I did, and fallen out of posting regularly. Easily remedied with a dash of procrastination!:D

Happy posting!
    Gypsy
  15. PaperWings New Member

Thanks for all the welcomes!

Gypsy - I do a lot of Journaling (like scrap booking but more abstract) and I mark my work with a butterfly stamp, so it came from there really.

Joculator - I'm a northerner too, born and bred in Yorkshire (I know its not as north as you but half the people I know think anything north of the Watford Gap is northern!), but moved now to Reading for Uni. So thank you for the northern welcome :) I know I should be ashamed of my lack of FanSites before now, I just never have wandered this way before...

I'm glad this site is for procrastination... As a student I need all the distractions I can get! but I have a feeling I might spend too much time on here and double checking references in Mr Pratchett's books than reading my uni books and making references to them in my essays!
  16. Mumble New Member

1) what formed the motivational impetus for your chosen screenname?
    It seemed to suit me.

2) Are you male or female? (Asking because there has been quite of lot of confusion over this, on and off.)
    Female

3) what age catagory and geographic location do you fall into?
    I am 51 and I live in Aylesbury which is in England, somewhere around the midriff and fractionally to the left.

4) Have you seen any Discworld movies, did you like them and do you have faith in future productions being good, better or worse than current ones?
    I have not seen any. I would only believe such a movie to be any good if a really reliable source insisted it were so. I can imagine a good movie about Discworld could conceivably be made, but only if it were darkish.

5) who or how were you turned on to discworld/pratchett?
    I was introduced to Pratchett by the man who 20 years afterwards became my husband. But it's Granny Weatherwax I like. I feel we may have a lot in common.

6) what's your personal quote of the day?
    We shall not cease from exploration and the end of all our exploring will be to arrive where we started and know the place for the first time - T.S.Eliot.
  17. Katcal I Aten't French !

**mumbles** Welcome!
  18. Joculator The 'Old' Fool

Welcome to the boards, Mumble.
    *Standing on northeast shoulder, covered in blue dye and waving spear in a friendly manner.*
  19. TheLuggage New Member

Hello, I'm TheLuggage and I love Terry Pratchett

• 1) what formed the motivational impetus for your chosen screenname? The luggage was just so sweet and full of surprises.
    • 2) Are you male or female? female
    • 3) what age catagory and geographic location do you fall into? 30ish.. and i'm in Australia
    • 4) Have you seen any Discworld movies, did you like them and do you have faith in future productions being good, better or worse than current ones? no.. have seen none of the movies..i have high hopes.
    • 5) who or how were you turned on to discworld/pratchett? random..found Masquerade on a bookshelf.. picked it up, never turned back.
    • 6) what's your personal quote of the day? I'm sorry if I seem selfish, but that's just me... me me me!
  20. psychicdeath New Member

It comes from a song by the riot grrl band Bikini Kill, called "Resist Psychic Death", which is about retaining your individuality.

2) Are you male or female? (Asking because there has been quite of lot of confusion over this, on and off.)

I'm male, and not confused over it in the least.

3) what age category and geographic location do you fall into?

I just turned 50 the other day, and I live in the wilds of Ohio.

4) Have you seen any Discworld movies, did you like them and do you have faith in future productions being good, better or worse than current ones? (note, this in no way shape or form asks about casting choices you'd like to see. i have a loaded rifle and i'm not afraid to use it.)

No, I haven't seen any of them so far. They seem to be more readily available in England. I guess there's always Amazon.com for us Americans.

A lady friend of mine introduced me to it about a year and a half ago. I was staying at her place for a few days and needed something to read. I just picked "Mort" out of the bookcase, then read "Equal Rites" once I had finished Mort. (She's Finnish/German, so about half of her books are in German, so I could only choose the ones in English.) Since then I've been buying the entire series about 2 or 3 at a time. Still have about 7 to go, I believe.

"I shall not cause harm to any vehicle nor the personal contents thereof, nor through inaction let that vehicle or the personal contents thereof come to harm. It's what I call the repo code, kid. Don't forget it -- etch it in your brain. Not many people got a code to live by anymore."
  21. randywine Member

Welcome to the board Psychicdeath.

Randywine
  22. Maljonic Administrator

Hello Psychicdeath. :)
  23. Werewolf New Member

1) what formed the motivational impetus for your chosen screenname? Well the registration wouldn't let me have my usual username so i went with my second love, werewolves! Plus i figured Death would already have been taken!

Female

I'm 28 and live in West Yorkshire, England

4) Have you seen any Discworld movies, did you like them and do you have faith in future productions being good, better or worse than current ones?
    I've seen both and loved both although i did think the Colour of Magic was better which is a shame since i love anything where Death is a main character. I am hopefully that their success will mean they will adapt more. Personally i'd love to see some of the City Watch books done.
    (note, this in no way shape or form asks about casting choices you'd like to see. i have a loaded rifle and i'm not afraid to use it.)

A friend lent me The Colour of Magic and The Light Fantastic and i fell in love with the writing style. Finally someone was writing the kind of books i wanted to read. Plus i fell for the character of Death and have loved everything about him ever since.

An it harm none, do what thou will.
  24. Joculator The 'Old' Fool

Welcome to the Luggage, Psychicdeath and Werewolf.

A good assortment of national and international Sir Pterry fans :D
  25. junkpunk New Member

Hellooo.

Is this thing on..

ahem*

Hi.
  26. Nester New Member

After about a year or so I have once again moved due to work and finally gotten a computer hooked up. I no longer feel Amish...except for the beard and my penchant for wearing neutral colors.... But since I've been gone a while maybe I should do this again.

It's a play on my last name

Male

3) what age category and geographic location do you fall into?

I'm 23 and have been moved to Iowa. So sad...

4) Have you seen any Discworld movies, did you like them and do you have faith in future productions being good, better or worse than current ones? (note, this in no way shape or form asks about casting choices you'd like to see. i have a loaded rifle and i'm not afraid to use it.)

I haven't seen any of them yet which is sad because I've sold a lot of them at work. I just need to pick them up myself one of these days.

A friend of mine read Reaper Man and recommended the series.

"That is your side of the apartment! This is mine!"

"The fridge is on your side..."

"So is God."

-Penny Arcade
  27. Maljonic Administrator

Hello junkpunk, and the returning Nester. :)
  28. colonesque10 New Member

Hi to all new people and welcome back to Nester
  29. Buzzfloyd Spelling Bee

30. alma New Member

hi new to this forum massive terry pratchett fan hope to be a regular visitor to this forum
  31. Buzzfloyd Spelling Bee

Hi Alma! Welcome to the boards. :) Why not have a go at answering the questions at the beginning of this thread?
  32. redneck New Member

Hey Alma. Had a friend named Alma in college. She was from Bosnia. She was a good friend, too bad she broke her leg and we had to put her down. :(
  33. alma New Member

no reason for name just made something up on the keyboard
    i am male 45 and from whitby north yorkshire
    i first read colour of magic but the next one i read was mort which i think is one of the best pratchett books and havnt looked back since.
    sorry for not answering these first time didnt know
  34. Inboots New Member

Hi.

• 1) I chose my screenname for good memories. I used to be called Pussy in Boots, for my habit of wearing dutch army boots, even when in bikini.
    • 2) Consider the previous answer....
    • 3) In my thirties, Dutch.
    • 4) Haven´t had the priviledge to see a Pratchett movie yet!
    • 5) I once found a Pratchett copy in a backpackers in Sydney 1998 and got hooked.
    • 6) Hoofd in de wolken, voeten op de grond (translates to something like "Head on cloud nine, feet on the ground").

Attached Files:

35. Joculator The 'Old' Fool

Welcome Alma and Inboots.
  36. superbanana New Member

Heya.
    Im SB because of a long running joke with my mates - were all super in different ways and apparently im fruity :s
    Im a girl aged 16
    Im from North - east England
    I didnt think the colour of Magic was a s good as it could have been but then the wizards arnt my favorite series - although I thought Hogfather was amazing so its probably a matter of taste
    My dad told me at age 6 that I should start reading 'proper' books - Iv been hooked ever since although when I re-read the books I often find myself understanding parts that I just never got before :)
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." Einstein
  37. randywine Member

Hi Alma, Inboots, and SuperBannannnannna.
  38. Buzzfloyd Spelling Bee

Hi, Inboots and SuperBanana! Welcome to the boards. :)
  39. Joculator The 'Old' Fool

Hi SB and welcome. You just made a significant increase in the number of members from the northeast region. That's if you mean the Tyne-Tees area. :D
  40. Hsing Moderator

Hello, Alma, Inboots, and SuperBannannnannna. :smile:
  41. langeneg New Member

• 1) what formed the motivational impetus for your chosen screenname?
    mixing from my familyname and my firstname.
    • 2) Are you male or female? (Asking because there has been quite of lot of confusion over this, on and off.)
    female
    • 3) what age catagory and geographic location do you fall into?
    27, Uster, Kanton Zurich, Switzerland, Europe, roundworld
    • 4) Have you seen any Discworld movies, did you like them and do you have faith in future productions being good, better or worse than current ones?
      (note, this in no way shape or form asks about casting choices you'd like to see. i have a loaded rifle and i'm not afraid to use it.)
    Till now, I saw all Discworld movies. You can never compare the movies with the books, ther are mucht better. But I liked the films and looking forward to new ones.
    • 5) who or how were you turned on to discworld/pratchett?
    Once ther apeard an old bookstore in a street in Uster. It must have been there bevore, but I never noticed it. It was also written on the door "ever since". So I went in and bought a TP book(guards guards), red it over night. Next day I wanted to buy more of this Discworldbooks, but the Shop had vanishd;)

• 6) what's your personal quote of the day?
    I know, my spelling is sometimes awfull.
  42. redneck New Member

Welcome, langeneg. May your days with us be fun filled and not too tiring. And I hope you don't get strep from me. Just found out I have it, so don't drink after me. We could still make out, but don't drink after me.
  43. Buzzfloyd Spelling Bee

Hi Langeneg! Welcome to the boards. :)
  44. July New Member

Hi Langeneg, nice to meet you :wink:
  45. Joculator The 'Old' Fool

Hi Langeneg, welcome and thanks for the sleepless night I'm about to have trying to work out the anagram of your name. Elann Egg seems too obvious though! :D
  46. langeneg New Member

No, my name is not Elann Egg. Some letters are from my First-, and the others from my Lastname. But I won`t tell you how I mixed them up and how many are missing :)
  47. Joculator The 'Old' Fool

He he, nice reply langeneg, was just establishing the level of humour... well my level anyway. :lol:
  48. randywine Member

Hi Langeneg.
    Randywine.
  49. willbaforce New Member

Introducing...

Hi, I'm new as of right now... Figure it could be fun!

It's a nickname assigned to me by a witty sibling.
    2) Are you male or female?
    Male
    24, living in the UK. I'm not more specific because I'm currently in the process of moving. Lincoln / Farnham, if you must know.
    Saw the sky rendition of Hogfather. It wasn't amazing compared to my imagination, but it was ok.
    Started reading my dad's discworld novels when I was 11. Didn't really catch the jokes all the time back then, which makes re-re-reading them more and more interesting, as my intellect catches up!
    "Just Keep Swimming" or the classic "Crivens!"
  50. Joculator The 'Old' Fool

Welcome to the boards, Willbaforce.

Hope we all live up to your expectations ;)
  51. Buzzfloyd Spelling Bee

Hi Willbaforce! Welcome to the boards. Your avatar is very cute.
  52. chatnthat New Member

the fact that i lack any imagination when it comes to things like that, plus, i do like a good chat!

2) Are you male or female?
    Female

27, from the midlands, UK

I personally prefer to read, rather than watch the movies (though I have seen Hogfather)

my older brother used to read them... and i guess i wanted to be like him! shhhh!

try everything twice, in case you did it wrong the first time
  53. Buzzfloyd Spelling Bee

Hi, Chatnthat! Welcome to the boards. :)
  54. randywine Member

Hello Wilbaforce and chatnthat. Welcome to this particular slice of silly.

R.
  55. willbaforce New Member

haha yeah it's a russian children's character, called Cheburashka.
    He's cool...
  56. nightguard5008 New Member

Hi I'm Nightguard. I will do my avatar later. I have read the majority of TP Discworld but not read his last one/two. Think the last one was Feet Of Clay or Thud.

• 1) what formed the motivational impetus for your chosen screenname?
    • I work at night and I'm a security guard. Not very original I know but originality is not my best trait.
    • 2) Are you male or female? (Asking because there has been quite of lot of confusion over this, on and off.)
    • Male. Definately
    • 3) what age category and geographic location do you fall into?
    • Not a teenager and not ready for my coffin. East Midlands. UK
    • 4) Have you seen any Discworld movies, did you like them and do you have faith in future productions being good, better or worse than current ones?
    • Did not know there had been that many made. Saw Hogfather and have a carton version of one of the Witches novels on DVD
    • 5) who or how were you turned on to discworld/pratchett?
    • Not sure. Just read about him on a message board. Somebody was quoting and I thought hey i like that SOH
    • 6) what's your personal quote of the day?
    • Never do today what you can do tomorrow. But my favourite is in my sig.
  57. Buzzfloyd Spelling Bee

Hi Nightguard! Welcome to the boards. :) What's supposed to be in your sig?
  58. Maljonic Administrator

59. nightguard5008 New Member

might be i have been on before a long time ago but forgot my password and the name I used. If I recover the password for the other I'll use that one.
  60. nightguard5008 New Member

I managed to remember my password. It was my username I was not sure of. I can use either account if one needs to be deleted.