Pronunciation

Discussion in 'BOARDANIA' started by Electric_Man, Jan 24, 2006.

1. Perdita New Member

Your lucky,

Over here cake sounds like 'K-ache' and car 'Kee arrr'.

hmmm Presently my accent is (very annoyingly) a strong northern Irish one.

My southern Irish accent sounds like I can't say thirty - it sounds like 'tear-tee'

I always tend to (unknowingly) pick up accents- it can be from whoever I'm talking to, or if I've been somewhere for a long period of time. I'm not mimicing any one or taking the piss I just end up with a really effected strange accent.

Believe me, to hear me talk is quite laughable I've been told that my Australian accent always sounded a little south African!

I shall have to move somewhere else and change jobs so that I can sould a bit better - perhaps south wales?
  2. LaughingFire New Member

Heh! I do that too. I haven't moved around a lot, though, so I don't know what'll happen once I start...

About 'orange-' I think I use the 'palm' phoneme; but then whenever I say the word everybody laughs. This is northern New York state, by the way.

How does one live in the hills where one was raised and has lived all one's life and still have an accent?

I have never heard them prounounced so they would produce exact rhyme, although that's not to say it's not done just because I've never heard it. With both vowels modulated to 'ah,' which I have heard done, you get a slant rhyme.
  3. Hermia New Member

[quote:2fa15adab6="sleepy sarge"]Thanks Rinso, he may well be, but he isn't the Spelling Bee and linguistics expert. Where is Buzzfloyd when you need her?[/quote:2fa15adab6]

Wow, I'm glad I've only just found this infuriating thread! If she were here to read it, I'm sure she would be digging herself a grave to turn in right about now!

People, "th" can [i:2fa15adab6]never[/i:2fa15adab6] rhyme with "f"!

And different Americans have different accents. Funny that, it being such a big place and all.

However, if you wish to make up your own dialect and pronounce it true, feel free to make anything rhyme with anything else. Example: in my made-up dialect, printer rhymes with fluff. You just have to pronounce the "er" as "uff". Ok?
  4. Electric_Man Templar

[quote:bb87113d3d="Hermia"]Example: in my made-up dialect, printer rhymes with fluff. You just have to pronounce the "er" as "uff". Ok?[/quote:bb87113d3d]

Actually, I'm pretty sure I've heard somebody pronounce printer as printuff. No joke. Though they probably pronounce fluff as floof, so they wouldn't rhyme.
  5. scif1girl New Member

Maybe if you pronounced both of them with an accent you would have assonance (same vowel sound), but that's as close to rhyme as it gets.
  6. Marcia Executive Onion

[quote:06ec27d44c="Maljonic"]This does not include the Queen or the royal family who have an accent all of their own, for them bath is pronounced like the girl's name Beth (short for Elizabeth), so would be even further away from bath - even the southern version baath.[/quote:06ec27d44c]

Interesting. English-speaking people with Yiddish (a form of German) accents also pronounce bath like Beth.

So the Royal Family, who are German, are actually speaking English with a semi-German accent.

[quote:06ec27d44c="Hermia"][
    And different Americans have different accents. Funny that, it being such a big place and all.
    [/quote:06ec27d44c]

Cyncial Youth's experience of being taught one "correct" American accent and one "correct" English accent reminds me of when I learned Spanish at school. We were taught Mexican Spanish, even thought the majority of Spanish-speaking New Yorkers speak Carribbean Spanish. So you could get perfect grades in Spanish class and still barely understand a word of what Spanish-speaking people were saying.
  7. Delphine New Member

[quote:9497c36a84="Perdita"]

I always tend to (unknowingly) pick up accents- it can be from whoever I'm talking to, or if I've been somewhere for a long period of time. I'm not mimicing any one or taking the piss I just end up with a really effected strange accent.

[/quote:9497c36a84]

A lot of people find this happens. My friend Hannah can't be around an Irish person for two minutes without picking up the accent.

I can't do it though. I've lived with my dads Glaswiegan accent for nearly my whole life, and the only thing I can say in a passable Scottish accent is "I'm Scottish". It appears the kentish accent fights back.

It's strange really. It's the accent with the least amount of accent, if that makes sense. Ben's is similar. You would think it would make almost a blank canvas for other accents to stain. But no!
  8. peapod_j New Member

it does not and i have problems with my language, im diganosed as a dislecsic and dispracic which means i have problems with spelling and reading (even though i can read terry prachett prfectly)as well as writing, and my hand,eye and foot, eye cordanation.
  9. Maljonic Administrator

[quote:7a55a0a85f="Delphine"]

It appears the kentish accent fights back.

It's strange really. It's the accent with the least amount of accent, if that makes sense. [/quote:7a55a0a85f]Actually it doesn't, but I see why you might think it does. There isn't really such a thing as an accent with the least amount of accent, it's more that the accent you are used to sounds the most normal. Or, in the case of Britain and London area accents, when it's an accent that's near to the accent that's been adopted as Received Pronunciation, the official term for BBC English.

For instance, if Glaswegian had been adopted as our Received Pronunciation that would seem like the accent without much accent. Hard to imagine but true nonetheless. At one point in England's history it was a close call over whether the London regional accent and dialect or the North East regional accent and dialect were going to be the Received Pronunciation - we could all be thinking that Geordies speak proper if things had gone just a little different. :)
  10. Cynical_Youth New Member

[quote:022995376f="Marcia"]Cyncial Youth's experience of being taught one "correct" American accent and one "correct" English accent reminds me of when I learned Spanish at school. We were taught Mexican Spanish, even thought the majority of Spanish-speaking New Yorkers speak Carribbean Spanish. So you could get perfect grades in Spanish class and still barely understand a word of what Spanish-speaking people were saying.[/quote:022995376f]
    If I used the terms "correct" or "incorrect" anywhere, I'd like to apologise for it now. I did not mean to judge or deny diversity.
    I have attempted to share what from my point of view is the worldwide academic standard. I do not wish to impose any form of value judgement.
  11. Marcia Executive Onion

[quote:cfe56f710d]If I used the terms "correct" or "incorrect" anywhere, I'd like to apologise for it now. I did not mean to judge or deny diversity.
    I have attempted to share what from my point of view is the worldwide academic standard. I do not wish to impose any form of value judgement.[/quote:cfe56f710d]

I didn't take it as a value judgement.

Just that if you travel to a part of a country where they don't speak the academic standard, you might find it a bit more difficult to understand people.
  12. scif1girl New Member

[quote:0627665fcb="Delphine"][quote:0627665fcb="Perdita"]

[/quote:0627665fcb]

A lot of people find this happens. My friend Hannah can't be around an Irish person for two minutes without picking up the accent.

I can't do it though. I've lived with my dads Glaswiegan accent for nearly my whole life, and the only thing I can say in a passable Scottish accent is "I'm Scottish". It appears the kentish accent fights back.

It's strange really. It's the accent with the least amount of accent, if that makes sense. Ben's is similar. You would think it would make almost a blank canvas for other accents to stain. But no![/quote:0627665fcb]

I've picked up English accents before, completely by accident too. I've even replaced the word "part" in my personal vocabulary with the word "bit" from reading so much Pterry. I even use British profanities in my head.
  13. Victimov8 New Member

Sadly, I think that I have picked up a little too much of the local accents. My sister, on the other hand, tends to speak with very little accent - except when drunk. Then, and only then, she has a slight Irish accent.

I do remember a couple of lads going into a pub, and having a contest to see who had the best Irish accent. The Irish bloke lost... Sad but true :?

No - Scarf does not rhyme with Bath
  14. LaughingFire New Member

Eh-heh. Probly the same way the real pig in the jacket lost to the city-born pig impersonator.
  15. Bradthewonderllama New Member

[quote:ec054af9ef="Marcia"]
    The "American English" you have been taught is probably a dialect from the Midwest. I pronounce orange like are-inj.[/quote:ec054af9ef]

That's because you're a nasally New Yorker, Marcia. In proper speaking Philadelphia, it's Ore-inj.

And Ben. DOESN'T!
  16. LaughingFire New Member

Oh, is she from New York too? High five, Marcia.... Hm. I'll have to listen to the way people around here say it...I think I go aw-runge, and that's why everybody, including my immediate family, says I say it funny...
  17. Ba Lord of the Pies

"Ah-ringe" is an east coast pronunciation. The rest of the country pronounces it correctly.
  18. LaughingFire New Member

'Correctly,' huh? :x
  19. TamyraMcG Active Member

In Minnesotan we say Ore- anj.
  20. Ba Lord of the Pies

There, there. It isn't LaughingFire's fault she didn't learn to say orange the right way.
  21. sampanna New Member

[quote:d205f751c4="TamyraMcG"]In Minnesotan we say Ore- anj.[/quote:d205f751c4]
    Minnesotan is a different language, ya? When I first landed in Duluth, I a little perplexed as well as amused by some of the pronunciations :)
  22. LaughingFire New Member

Oh, bah, Ba! :D
  23. TamyraMcG Active Member

Minnesotan is probably more then one different language or dialect at least. Duluth has the Range, or da Range, so close by. That area was settled by miners from Eastern Europe, Scandanavia, Italy, and Wales. It has had an effect, the area is heavily infested by Hockey players to this day. I'm not sure how much influence the old voyageurs have left behind, but I have heard it said that orange peels they left behind can still be found in some of the old campsites.