Pyramids

Discussion in 'GODS, DESERTS, IMPS, LETTERS AND WAR' started by drunkymonkey, Aug 23, 2005.

1. drunkymonkey New Member

Just finihed reading it, such a good book, I love the start of the book in the Assassin's Guild and how Teppic tried to be a socialable Pharoah.
    One question though, at the end of the book, with Dios, is that like before the book started or after, I got confused with that bit...
  2. fazza72 New Member

I always thought it was after Pyramids had concluded sort of going off and starting it all again, but now that you mentioned it and having a brief look again I don't know. A very interesting quesiton.
  3. Rincewind Number One Doorman

I think that Dios went back in time. Met Kufta(sp?) and founded the rituals that would make the Deli.
  4. drunkymonkey New Member

[quote:8bd7bf063f="Rincewind"]I think that Dios went back in time. Met Kufta(sp?) and founded the rituals that would make the Deli.[/quote:8bd7bf063f]
    so, he's just a person who lives forever over and over again?
  5. Rincewind Number One Doorman

Every night (or when ever) he would go into the prymid that would do it's time sorting jazz to keep him alive for ever, or maybe stop him ageing. Or something.
  6. drunkymonkey New Member

[quote:6c05395b7c="Rincewind"]Every night (or when ever) he would go into the prymid that would do it's time sorting jazz to keep him alive for ever, or maybe stop him ageing. Or something.[/quote:6c05395b7c]oh, yeah, how he has to cross the river on his boat every so often.
  7. Cynical_Youth New Member

[quote:b14aef6a04="Rincewind"]I think that Dios went back in time. Met Kufta(sp?) and founded the rituals that would make the Deli.[/quote:b14aef6a04]

Khuft. :)
  8. colonesque10 New Member

[quote:19b6f9e0a1="Rincewind"]I think that Dios went back in time. Met Kufta(sp?) and founded the rituals that would make the Deli.[/quote:19b6f9e0a1]

Yeah thats how i saw it as well. I read this book when I was in Vegas last year. It's one of my favourite books most definatly. I loved Gern and Dil the embalmers, especially Gern the apprentice. :)
  9. Ba Lord of the Pies

Did Colonesque read it while visiting the Luxor?

Anyhow, yes, Ba's pretty sure it was Dios going back in time to when he started advising Khuft. He was living a circular existence.
  10. colonesque10 New Member

[quote:41fb770888="Ba"]Did Colonesque read it while visiting the Luxor?[/quote:41fb770888]

Unfortunatly not Ba, I read it in the Stratosphere. Although I did visit the Luxor and go in the diagnal elevators which were way cool if not a little off putting. :) VEGAS ROCKS! 8)
  11. Tephlon Active Member

The turning back time for Dios is also explained/hinted at in the little footnote that says something similar to:
    "In contrast to what most people think, pyramids do not make razors sharp, they just take them back to the time before they were blunt..."

So, when Dios goes to the first Pyramid, he goes to have time turned back for him. (To keep on serving the Kingdom)

As for the ending of the book, reread Khuft's dreamtalk with Teppic. Then read the end again.
  12. Sir_Vaims New Member

It the same thing over and over again
  13. LaughingFire New Member

Yes...that is definitely the bit of Pyramids that stayed with me the most vividly. Dios, tired, old, dreaming for hundreds of years of the day when he can just lie down and stay there, and he doesn't have to look after Djelibeybi any more, and he's whirled back in time, sees Khuft and walks out of the reeds with no proper memory, and he just has to tell them about kings and how important pyramids are, and then he can rest... And he never will. He'll just keep going through the cycle, over and over, bone tired, doing his duty. *shudder* He's a scary man, but that's terrible. Fweep.
  14. Plugger New Member

i feel sorry for death right at the end, having to collect all those dead mummy's. "1 down 999999999 to go..."
  15. LaughingFire New Member

XD Yes. Luckily, he operates outside of time.
  16. Death_of_rats New Member

for me this has to be the worst book in the series. However I would love to see a book about following an Assassin Student throught his training, maybe a flashback over the life of Vetenari (spl)
  17. Maljonic Administrator

I think at the time it was considered, in literary circles, to be the best written of the Discworld books.
  18. Death_of_rats New Member

oh well it goes to show I have no sense of taste :lol:

I always feel that it was just a bit of a marching time book, as he had to write it instead of wanting to write it. IMO
  19. Katcal I Aten't French !

Wasn't there quite a lengthy part about Vetinari as a trainee assassin in Night Watch ?
  20. randywine Member

I couldn't disagree more about the quality of Pyramids - a standalone book that encapsulates so many ideas and humor - TP's minds must have been quite literally buzzing with thoughts that he tried to cram in - my favorite books are the Guards sequence but I loved this one (to the extent that I have it on audio cd in my car) and it was also the book that totally got Mrs. Randywine into the whole discworld universe (probably due to her love of all things egypt-ish).
    I think also that over several books too much has been written about the assasins school to allow a novel to be largely based there, there would be considerable duplication and redundancy.

Cheers

R.
  21. Death_of_rats New Member

I suppose that as the Assasins are potrayed as the compertant part of the city, to have humour with them would be a bit degrading for them
  22. QuothTheRaven New Member

Pyramids wasn't the best book of the series, but it was still pretty good. The part about Quantum acounting cracked me up.
    edit: because Pyramids was the only thing that should be italicized.
  23. Alfonz New Member

my user name came from the book. he was Chidder's servant on the ship. thats one of my favorite parts when he gets embarresed after Ptraci looks at his tattoos. i laugh every time i read it.
  24. Shregor New Member

I think Laughing Fire has it down perfectly. Dios is on this endless cycle. Terrible man, but still you can't help but feel sorry for him.
  25. bazstar New Member

Its time travel and he makes the same journey over and over setting forth the rituals and then going back and doing it again, thats the joke in that he will never die and continoe to live it all over again.