Religion

Discussion in 'BOARDANIA' started by Venerico, Oct 27, 2005.

1. roisindubh211 New Member

That only works if your week begins on Monday- anywhere I've lived, Saturday was the seventh day and sunday the first (Hence Seventh-Day Adventists keep Saturday as their Sabbath)
  2. Marcia Executive Onion

American calendars show the week starting on Sunday, so the seventh day is Saturday.

British calendars show the week starting on Monday, so the seventh day is Sunday.

According to TV Guide, the first day of the week is Saturday.

There really is no first day or seventh day, since the weeks are an unending cycle.

However, I naturally think of the week starting on Monday, so the week starts with the first day of work (for most people) and ends with the weekend.
  3. mowgli New Member

And doesn't Muslim week end on a Friday, or is Friday just a generically holy day?

Otherwise - well said, Marcia :)
  4. roisindubh211 New Member

That is odd, because the reasoning I gave was what I learned in Catholic school. Since the word "catholic" is supposed to mean 'universal' that makes it pretty odd indeed...
    Why can't adults ever tell children "I don't know"?
  5. sleepy_sarge New Member

Certainly in Oman (where I was working the other week), our offices there have a working week of Saturday to Wednesday, with a "weekend" of Thursday and Friday - which would make Friday the 7th day for them.
  6. Hermia New Member

So it does! I never noticed that!

Well, I hadn't noticed this thread before, and it's just taken me two and a quarter hours to read it, and I have to admit I've skimmed parts!! For the most part I have nothing to add, as my opinions have pretty much been given. Also, I have learnt a lot about Judaism!

Regarding religion in general, I think Rincewind summed it up very well, though it was so long ago I've forgotten what he said.

I don't have a problem with people taking parts of a religion and not other parts, as long as genuine religious beliefs are their reason for doing so. After all, that is how all the various denominations have evolved so far, is it not? I don't think you should decide that such-and-such a thing is not a sin, purely because you happen to enjoy doing it, but if you honestly can't see any good reason why it might be wrong, then why should you follow an unreasonable rule?

As for myself, I'm a Pagan. I was brought up as one, although in such a subtle way that I thought I was an atheist until I was about 11 and started having personal revelations. A lot of people say that they believed in God as a child, and questioned it deeply as a teenager, I pretty much did the opposite.

I don't follow any religion exactly, although I lean towards Wicca, but I try to live my life as I honestly believe I should (see previous paragraph). Therefore, to me, the words of a wise man spoken yesterday are every bit as important (or unimportant) as the words written down in a holy book hundreds of years old.
  7. KaptenKaries New Member

Yep, Swedish weeks end on Sundays. You guys seem to know more about this than I do, I stand corrected.

By the way, did you know that all english names of the weekdays are based on gods' names, and mostly old Norse gods?

Monday - Moon's day
    Tuesday - Tyr's day
    Wednesday - Odin's day
    Thursday - Thor's day
    Friday - Freyr's day
    Saturday - Saturn's day
    Sunday - Sol or Sunna's day

As far as I understand, Moon does not reference the heavenly body, but the god of the moon in Norse mythology, so Saturday is the only day not named by a Norse god, but a Roman god.

In swedish, the name for Saturday is Lördag, which means the day of bathing. :)
  8. Katcal I Aten't French !

I really must tell my dad that... maybe it'll get him out of his one-bath-per-year habit... 8)
  9. koshu New Member

I seem to remember somting like that from my ffrench class were they used to bath once a year.........
    Also there was something about a guy losing his toes.......
  10. Katcal I Aten't French !

well that's just dead stupid... I always know where my toes are... :roll:
  11. koshu New Member

you know wat I mean................... :lol: