Suggestions for Wedding Readings and quotes

Discussion in 'BOARDANIA' started by LotharMoH, Jun 24, 2012.

1. LotharMoH New Member

Hi everyone -
    One of my friends is getting married in August and asked that I try to track down some quotes from Pratchett about love/relationships/marriage (to be used throughout the ceremony) and something that would be appropriate for a reading. I've found some quotes but I haven't found much that I thought could be used as a reading.

So, I was wondering if anyone: 1) has done this before or had heard of it being done before and 2) if anyone had recommendations for quotes or possible readings.

Thank you for your assistance everyone. So far my list looks like:

Quotes:

Ninety percent of true love is acute, ear-burning embarrassment.
    -Wyrd Sisters

"And what would humans be without love?"
    "Rare," said Death.
    -Sourcery

A marriage is always made up of two people who are prepared to swear that only the other one snores.
    -The Fifth Elephant

Against one perfect moment, the centuries beat in vain.

-Thief of Time

[FONT=&quot]Granny Weatherwax was not a jouster in the lists of love, but, as an intelligent onlooker, she knew how the game was played.[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]-Maskerade [/FONT]

Possible readings?

The Librarian was not familiar with love, which had always struck him as a bit ethereal and soppy, but kindness, on the other hand, was practical. You knew where you were with kindness, especially if you were holding a pie it had just given you.
    - Unseen Academicals (It feels like it loses impact with no context. I can imagine guests going "Pie? What about pies now?")

He needs your strength.......I've watched you together. You give his world a shape. You must be with him ...... You must be by his side. In your heart you know this. You will have a purpose.......There will be no unhappy memories
    - Nation (A possibility, but one-sided I feel)

The first question asked is, “Why was he eternally surprised?”

And they are told: “Wen considered the nature of time and understood that the universe is, instant by instant, re-created anew. Therefore, he understood, there is, in truth, no Past, only a memory of the Past. Blink your eyes, and the world you see next did not exist when you closed them. Therefore, he said, the only appropriate state of the mind is surprise. The only appropriate state of the heart is joy. The sky you see now, you have never seen before. The perfect moment is now. Be glad of it.
    -Thief of Time (Obviously not quite wedding or love related, but it feels like it would fit)
  2. Maljonic Administrator

3. pilgrim New Member

I don't remember Carrot and Angua ever saying anything specific but surely they said something worth a wedding.