The Boardanian Chain Diary

Discussion in 'BOARDANIA' started by Hsing, Sep 22, 2005.

1. Buzzfloyd Spelling Bee

2. plaid New Member

i wonder if it's far too late for me to be stuck in the list someplace... is it?

i feel like a prodigal son or something, coming back after being away too long and finding everything way too different.
  3. Rincewind Number One Doorman

Yay! Plaid is back!
  4. colonesque10 New Member

Hi Plaid. It's good to have you back. :)
  5. Saccharissa Stitcher

YAY! PLAID IS BACK!
  6. Electric_Man Templar

Plaid, Plaid, Plaid.... oh I remember now, the weird one who likes plaid-stuff.

Welcome Back :)
  7. Hsing Moderator

I'm sure we can stick you in somewhere. As far as i know, Cynical Youth still has the book.
    I have the list at home, though; I'll take a look at it tonight.
  8. QuothTheRaven New Member

Not my fault. My home internet conection is down, so i have to find other computers to access the intenet.
    Consequently, i am only able to check this board once a week.
  9. Tephlon Active Member

Bah, petty excuses.
    If you'd really care about us you'd go to an internet café.

:)
  10. Tephlon Active Member

Ahem? CY? Have you sent it on yet? :)
  11. Cynical_Youth New Member

Nearly finished. Should be in the mail by Wednesday. No time for it on Monday and Tuesday I'm afraid.
  12. Hsing Moderator

I already cyberstaked him. ;) As is my duty! :D
    An updated list should follow soon, with Plaid added.
  13. Hsing Moderator

I hate to harass people... But where is it now?
    :?:
  14. Hsing Moderator

The updated list looks like this:

Hsing
    CY
    Saccharissa
    Lipi
    Mynona
    Trollmother
    Maljonic and Marcia
    E-Man
    Colonesque10
    Delphine
    Doors
    ChrisJordan
    Buzzfloyd & Garner
    Tamyra
    Mowgli
    Plaid
    Quoth
    Om Kranti
    Andalusian
    Spiky
    Tephlon
    Toaf
    Hsing

Added plaid!

But what I really want to know is...

WHERE IS THE BOOK?! :evil:
  15. Cynical_Youth New Member

It should be on its way. Avgi is still in England anyway I think.

Edit to add: I was a little late in sending it (yes, even with my already late promised sending date... I know, sorry :( ).
  16. Ecksian New Member

Is it too late to take part in this?
  17. Smoking_GNU New Member

That was my question too. I sit still too late to participate?

I know i have been here no time at all, but it seems as if this will be going for a good cause, so the more the better?

In other words: are newbits allowed to join in (i classify myself as a newby because i havent been here more than a month, and i was never on the old board)?

On a side note, I would really like to be remembered by people and records where i am not just a number on a roster (my family aside off course) and this seems like an ideal oppertunity. NOT THE MAIN REASON, just a bonus!

Edit: Spelling
  18. roisindubh211 New Member

19. Cynical_Youth New Member

Has the diary arrived yet?
  20. Electric_Man Templar

Any news regarding CY's question?
  21. Hsing Moderator

I can't answer CY's question, of course, but I'd like to tell Roisindubh, SmokingGnu and Ecksian that I don't see why they shouldn't join. Although it's probably a matter of years until it's their turn, if we keep up that speed... (This going to no one in particular, honestly, it's just a fact I suppose.)

Ah, I unconsciously found a way to tie myself to this board for the next 24 months, it seems.

I suppose there's time til I post a new list, and we should have an eye on the adresses before the book swaps again. They, or at least some of them, are changing.
  22. Hsing Moderator

I've just been informed the diary hasn't arrived yet -

posted by Saccharissa:

23. Cynical_Youth New Member

*scratches head*

Damn.

I'm sure I got the address right. Stupid Dutch postal service.
  24. mowgli New Member

Did it have a ton of stuff in it already?
  25. Delphine New Member

I wouldn't think so, seeing as CY was the first person to get it. :)

Hope it turns up. Maybe the postman died from exhaustion on his way up Avgi's mountain.
  26. Cynical_Youth New Member

A very nice large drawing by Hsing and two pages filled by me (nothing that I don't have a digital back-up of, though).
  27. Hsing Moderator

Okay... I'd say we wait until New Year, maybe it turns up again. If not, I'll give it a second try... Are you all alright with that?
  28. Cynical_Youth New Member

Yeah, but I'd like to start it this time. I'll buy a book, fill my two pages and send it to you. At least I'll spare you some expense that way.
  29. Hsing Moderator

Okay, thanks!
  30. Cynical_Youth New Member

I've started on the bureaucratic path to pandemonium the postal office calls customer service. I'll see where it leads me.
  31. Katcal I Aten't French !

Any news of this so far ? :oops: Pity, seemed like a fun project... :(
  32. Hsing Moderator

I am somewhat dissapointed, too.
    But it seems we're giving it a second tray in January!

If that fails, I have something else up my sleeve that will be not quite as symbolic, with a book that has travelled the world, but easier to work out and eating less time til completion: You send all your stuff to me, I scan it and take care everyone gets a pdf book, plus someone could host the whole thing;
    PLUS: I can't promise anything so far, but I have good contacts to a small printing shop. I could, maybe, get them to print a small book, in colour, with paperback binding, for, say, 10 Euros, independent of the number of books being printed. Those who are interested could get one, if they wanted.

We're not giving up that easily!
  33. lipi New Member

That's the spirit! :D

Your idea sounds good, Hsing. Maybe people could send you scans themselves, if they can. You should probably just post what resolution, size limit or other technical demands you have. That'd probably go even quicker.
  34. Cynical_Youth New Member

I haven't had any news from the postal office on this. :(

Hsing, your idea sounds very good. I'd definitely want one! :)
    Also, I have digital copies of everything I'd want to include.
    I'd still like to compensate for losing the diary somehow, though.
  35. koshu New Member

thats sounds like a great idea Hsing :)
  36. Maljonic Administrator

That sounds great Hsing. The only other thing I can think of is to take a book around to everyone by hand. :)
  37. koshu New Member

that could be one expensive yet fun holiday ;) > seing everyone :lol:
  38. Saccharissa Stitcher

Strike me down with a witch's hat...

I got the diary today... :shock:
  39. Cynical_Youth New Member

YAY!

Is it still in good condition?

The Dutch postal service have certainly set high goals for themselves. 3 months to Greece... incredible. Well, at least it's there now. :)
  40. Katcal I Aten't French !

:shock: Wow !!!
  41. Electric_Man Templar

Does your postman look like this?
  42. Hsing Moderator

What! Wow! Miracles still happen....
    I'd like to add an idea, then; seeing this is going to take a few years, could we maybe scan the stuff we put in it, and share it in our galleries, to give the participants something to see during the long wait?

Also, post here before you send it on, so that I can check wether the next person in the chain is still participating, and wether the adress is right and all.
  43. Katcal I Aten't French !

Well, if the diary is back on route, can I sign in or is it too late ?
  44. Maljonic Administrator

Fantastic! :)
  45. Delphine New Member

>stabs, burns, disembowels and decapitates Ben<

I can't believe it turned up. I thought it was lost forever. :)
  46. Hsing Moderator

Neither did I! It's a sign from heaven!

Of course, we can handle the list rather flexibly anyway. As said, checking is required in any case. I could put Katcal in near the end of the list, should the book ever make it that far, when it's on its way back home to me from Portugal... or wherever.

At least this teaches us to back everything up we put in there in case it's lost.
  47. Hsing Moderator

This is proceeding, though slowly.

Now I've been asking myself: Should we, maybe, start one of the alternative procedures mentioned above parallelly?

What do you think? It could mean that, in case we do a virtual chain diary parallelly (which can mean you send me scans of what you've put in there, too) we get to see results from then to then.

It could also mean starting an actual second chain diary, like the one that is underway. We've got a lot of participants. The last ones on the list wouldn't have to wait for years that way, we'd just split the whole list in two, and I'd take care the list could be handled a lot more flexibly than was originally intended, in a "Who likes to be the next" - kind of way.

Also: We should take care the book, or one scarpbook at that, is present at the next DMC meeting. That would result in some funny, random, entries - even if it's just a page of greetings and a postcard. (It doesn't have to be of artistic value.)

What do you say?
  48. Angua_rox New Member

Can I join too? Ditto the whole newbie stuff. I'd say I live near Roisindubh cause thats an Irish name and I live in Ireland so. . . . . .
  49. Cynical_Youth New Member

I think the virtual chain diary would be a good idea. It would allow participants to update and change their input as well.
  50. Hsing Moderator

The good thing about a second diary as well as a virtual would be that everyone could join, think about it, jump off the wagon, and later join again.

They would just have to communicate it, of course.

As the original thing is still going round, now making it from person 3 to person 4 as soon as Lipi confirms she's still participating, this is still happening.

We could paralelly

- make a virtual Chain Diary: you send me scans, or likewise originals I scan for you, I make the into a pdf file that gets hosted somewhere everyone can take a look at it and download, and maybe even print it. I might be able to get good prints, which I would then pass on to you.

- make a purely virtual Chain diary, an online album with all the stuff in one space. I thought of opening up a photobucket account, that would spare Mal's webspace and enable us to put up slightly bigger pics. I'd pm the login data to those who would like to participate. We could post the stuff that's in the actual diary as soon as one of the participates volunteers to scan them, as well as new material.

-make another "real" scrapbook go onto an alternative route around the world.
  51. Katcal I Aten't French !

For the purely virtual one, you could make a weblog with multiple accounts, I know a couple of places where you can do that, so you only have one access to the administrator account and all the others would just participate contents... It would also enable us to identify the person who posted easily, and it would be easier to add/remove people from it... (if you don't want someone to access the thing any more for some reason, you would have to change the password, send it round to everyone, and so-on...)

Yep, that could be fun...
  52. lipi New Member

I've PM'd you my address, and OF COURSE I'm still in! :D
  53. Hex New Member

I would be up for the virtual one. Sounds like fun. Sadly the real one is bad for me since in the next couple months I will be moving out and going to college and I don't know which one I'm going to yet, causing a severe lack of address until I think August or September.

But count me in for any virtual ideas being concocted! :)
  54. lipi New Member

OK, I'm still waiting for the diary. I hope it isn't lost. :roll:
  55. roisindubh211 New Member

Did I ever send you an address for it Hsing? By the time it comes round to me I'll be living in Dublin again- dunno where yet, haven't heard whether I got on campus housing or not. I will let you know as soon as I do though- just thought the city would be useful for sticking me into the list somewhere it won't be too much trouble for the person before me to mail it.
  56. Hsing Moderator

Don't worry, I went over to contacting people shortly before the diary shall be sent to them.
    But obviously, it is on an odyssey again...
  57. Katcal I Aten't French !

It's probably mating in a post office cubby-hole with my signed copy of Thud! that I ordered in december and still hasn't arrived... :(
    Hopefully, they'll have babies and then we can all have a bit...
  58. Hsing Moderator

*shrugs*

In a few weeks, I might just try to get a second one ready.
    And research a international, payable parcel service that we all might be able to use.

But for the sake of the entries already in the book, I hope it turns up again - again.
  59. Electric_Man Templar

I think you should embed a GPS chip into the cover, it sounds like the most reliable way of keeping track of it!
  60. Maljonic Administrator

We should have delivered it in person, each one in turn making a trip to meet the next Boardian in line. Some of the trips would have been pretty interesting, even slightly dangerous. :)